PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in SE asia

Mys73ri0
06-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Going to be in HK the last week of Sept and want to add an additional stop along the way.

Looking for a quiet beach type place to just relax, lay on the beach, suft and eat some decent food. Not really looking for the party scene and all ( HK will take care of that)

Any suggestions?

Was looking at Bali but people keep saying beaches aren't the greatest. Was thinking

ee2k
06-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Going to be in HK the last week of Sept and want to add an additional stop along the way.

Looking for a quiet beach type place to just relax, lay on the beach, suft and eat some decent food. Not really looking for the party scene and all ( HK will take care of that)

Any suggestions?

Was looking at Bali but people keep saying beaches aren't the greatest. Was thinking

Thailand. A couple of hours flight from HK. Pick a quieter island or a busy one with a quiet side and just lay there.

taemo
06-10-2018, 09:56 PM
+1 on Thailand, you could fly to Phuket or Krabi and do island hopping.

Likewise, you can also go to Philippines and hit Palawan, El Nido, Coron.

tonytiger55
06-10-2018, 11:31 PM
How long do you have?

I just spent two months in Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam.

I met other travellers and it seems like Bali and Indonesia do have some amazing beaches.

Thailand has some nice islands. On the west side there is Koh Lanta. Pretty chilled out. Rent a scooter and explore. Lots of empty beaches. You can do Kayaking and snorkelling. Avoid Koh Phi Phi that place is just one party island. You can island hop and explore the different places.

On the east side there is Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. On Koh Phangan you will have to rent a scooter to get around. Rent at Big Boss Scooter, the others at the main road going east will scam you (I saw it happen and was chatting to a local Thai about it too). Explore the island. Go to the NW part, lots of small beaches and huts you can rent. Its a hippy area so lots of hot vegan chicks that are trying to 'find themselves'. If you get bored at one beach, just jump on a scooter and find another.

If you have two/three days. Check out Angor Watt in Cambodia. You can fly in, see it in two days and then jet out. Trust me. It's fucking amazing.

redline
06-11-2018, 08:10 AM
+3 on Thailand ... great beaches and diving.

+2 on Angkor wat, one of the best things we did se Asia

Vietnam was my favourite but it’s not a great place to hang on the beach , sooo much better stuff to do there.

mzdspd
06-11-2018, 09:18 AM
+4 on Thailand.

My wife and I really liked Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.

Thong Nai Pan Yai Beach was my favorite place for relaxing.. 15$ massages for 60 minutes on the beach.. Cheap and fresh seafood (Pa Thong Cusine) and we rented a bungalow on the beach for 35$ a night. Tough to beat it.

If you are going to rent a scooter on this island. Be careful driving to this area, it is very hilly and the road is pretty rough.

cyra1ax
06-11-2018, 01:36 PM
My vote would have been to Bali for a beach vacation, just have to make sure that you don’t stay in Kuta which is the main touristy area.
+3 for Angkor Wat, especially for the recommendation to fly into Siem Reap and GTFO after two days. There really isn’t all that much to see there.

C4S
06-11-2018, 02:15 PM
How about Guam?

Nice beach, not crazy Hot .. and yummy food ... food ...

Manhattan
06-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Any suggestions?

Never understood the appeal of flying to the other side of the world to lay on a beach and do nothing. You can do that in the Kelowna. :dunno:

lasimmon
06-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Never understood the appeal of flying to the other side of the world to lay on a beach and do nothing. You can do that in the Kelowna. :dunno:

I am shocked that your idea of a vacation differs from someone else.

max_boost
06-11-2018, 04:09 PM
I am shocked that your idea of a vacation differs from someone else.

Right!?

I really enjoyed my time at Railay Beach in Krabi Thailand but this was 5 years ago. I also did a few days Angkor Wat in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

Safe and happy travels. Good luck. It's always a good time to travel.

tonytiger55
06-11-2018, 11:32 PM

I just read that statement and these two images popped into my head....
I mean... technically speaking... he's not wrong.. :dunno:

Kelowna

Vs

Thailand

C4S
06-12-2018, 12:12 PM
I just read that statement and these two images popped into my head....
I mean... technically speaking... he's not wrong.. :dunno:

Kelowna

Vs

Thailand

:rofl::rofl:

But you can't tell if that is a "man" or not from the Thailand picture ..

Manhattan
06-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Sure it's a personal preference but there's definitely ways to become better and smarter at traveling to get more out of your time and experience. I just shake my head at girls from LA who go to Cancun or Bali and take selfies at the beach the whole time. :facepalm:

lasimmon
06-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Sure it's a personal preference but there's definitely ways to become better and smarter at traveling to get more out of your time and experience. I just shake my head at girls from LA who go to Cancun or Bali and take selfies at the beach the whole time. :facepalm:

If you are getting exactly what you want out of your time and experience... whats the problem?

Manhattan
06-13-2018, 03:23 PM
There's a saying that goes 'a tourist sees what he comes to see while a traveler sees what he sees'. Biggest joy of travel for me is getting immersed in a strange new environment and everything that comes along with it. The world needs less tourists and more travelers.

My most memorable and rewarding trips have been the ones where I left very nervous on the trip because I had no idea what to expect about the places and people I would encounter and the only sure thing was that I was going to venture outside my comfort zone.