PDA

View Full Version : Out of province purchase question, but of a weird one

finboy
06-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Good news, I’m getting a new (to me) car tomorrow from Vancouver island! I will post a new car thread once I have it in my possession.

Bad news, registries are USELESS when it comes to knowing their job.

TLDR- I tried to get “request for inspection” form so the shop can do their out of province, the registries says the title is active in Alberta in their system, car proof shows it as active under the current bc owner. Also do I run a plate with my “in transit” permit? ( hard to find documentation on the last point)

Backstory:
I bought a car that war originally bought in Edmonton, the current owner is from bc and bought it in September 2017. He decided the car was too low for him, bought a truck, and put it up for sale. After looking over his out of province inspection, getting a third party to inspect it, running a car proof, etc. Everything came back fine and I started the process for purchase.

Registry visit 1:
I attempt to get information on a transit permit for the car, with a signed print out of the bill of sale at the bow valley registry office. They inform me that the bill of sale must be the original, when I ask them how they tell the difference between an original, a printout, and a piece of paper that someone signed both names for, they looked at me like they had no idea what language I was speaking. Back to the drawing board.

I get the owner to line up sending me the original copy over night, and get him to send me a copy before he ships it so I can get the registry to confirm.

Registry visit 2:
I bring the copy of the bill of sale in so they can review it, make sure everything is in place, and nothing else will come up when I get the original sent. Working on tight timelines, I thought this would be good insurance on making sure beaurocracy is handled. The clerk behind the counter reads over the whole thing, and says it is great, he just needs the original and he can issue the permit.

I received the bill of sale over the weekend and took it in today as I leave tomorrow to pick up the car, and the transit permit is only valid for 7 days.

Registry visit 3:
With all of my confirmed paper work in hand, I go in expecting a quick rubber stamp. The clerk looks at my paper work, verified the authenticity of the bill of sale by looking at the paper closely (seriously...), then starts entering details. This all comes to a screeching halt, she walks over to her supervisor and they have a discussion.

She comes over and informs me that the bill of sale is no good because the seller did not put the brand of car on, only putting on the year, model, vin, trim level, etc. at this point I am fuming as the person sitting right next to her had confirmed the bill of sale was good the week before, and they basically didn’t care as they are in a dead end job with no aspirations. When I asked if I could write down the brand, they went on to explain that it would also need an initial from the seller...and it has to be the original copy, no scans/faxes, etc.

Registry visit 4:
I left this location, and went to another registry who had no problem issuing me the permit, because they had critical thinking skills.

This went smoothly, and I got back to my desk and booked my out of province inspection, which requires a “request for inspection” form because of course their needs to be a form to request a form.

Registry visit 5:
Same registry as the last one, I go in and ask for the form with my bill of sale that they recognize. This is where things get weird...

They look it up and see the title as active in Alberta, even though I have a car proof showing it as currently registered in bc (ran it myself today, paid the extra $20 for icbc records). For now I am waiting until I have the keys in hand, and will try again Monday for registry visit 6. From the Alberta government site, this car would not fit for an oop exemption as the last oop was over 3 months ago, and the car is older than 4 years. So if a car was previously an Alberta car, then went to bc, is there any reason it would still have an active Alberta title that doesn’t show up on car proof, or did I experience yet more incompetence from a registry?

infamous
06-12-2018, 02:12 PM
They look it up and see the title as active in Alberta, even though I have a car proof showing it as currently registered in bc (ran it myself today, paid the extra $20 for icbc records). For now I am waiting until I have the keys in hand, and will try again Monday for registry visit 6. From the Alberta government site, this car would not fit for an oop exemption as the last oop was over 3 months ago, and the car is older than 4 years. So if a car was previously an Alberta car, then went to bc, is there any reason it would still have an active Alberta title that doesn’t show up on car proof, or did I experience yet more incompetence from a registry?

I have seen this happen before. The paperwork is sitting in a pile waiting to be filed electronically. Two choices, get to a registry as soon as you get the vehicle and register it back in alberta, knowing full well soon they will eventually come asking for an oop to get done. But you get to drive your new vehicle. the second choice sucks, you wait until they finally update it to being a bc vehicle (who knows how long?) and then you can get the request for oopi.

G-ZUS
06-12-2018, 10:34 PM
If the car was originally an alberta vehicle, you may be able to get away without an OOP. Just dont tell them its an oop vehicle

bjstare
06-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Just register it if possible. Zero downside. Worst case is at some point you have to do an OOP.

94boosted
06-13-2018, 03:50 PM
This went smoothly, and I got back to my desk and booked my out of province inspection, which requires a “request for inspection” form because of course their needs to be a form to request a form.

I LOL'd, the whole OOP thing is a bit of a joke, I just went through the process of registering a 2016 MY car, which if I were a BC resident moving to AB would be exempt from an OOP but because I live here not there the car now somehow does require an OOP.

Just register it if possible. Zero downside. Worst case is at some point you have to do an OOP.

This.

dannie
06-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Re:
Registry Visit 1

The agent is correct. An original is necessary. Period. How can you tell if a BOS is a print out vs original? C'mon. What kind of question is that? Pixelated vs original. Does the registry like this rule? No. Will the gov change the guidelines they implemented to make it easier? Also no. Originals, always.

Registry Visit 2

The agents are humans too. They miss shit. It happens. Again though, you brought a copy. So, if you had brought the original - you might have been able to get away with the whole thing right then and there.

Registry Visit 3

The agent is correct. The BOS needs to be complete. Could she have made an exception? Yes. Did she have to ? No. If you went into that office with the same keyboard warrior - holier than thou - attitude you are portraying here, I wouldnt have cut you a break either. There is no need to be such an asshole to people who are trying to do the best at the job that the government and entitled members of the public make so difficult to do. March on with your rampage and keep feeling good about yourself for putting down the staff. Rock on big man.

Registry Visit 4

Same as visit 2. Either the agent didn't notice (human), didn't care or made an exception. Whichever it is, sweet - you got the intransit. Keep in mind, that intransit is good point A to B or inspection purposes only. So make sure you're not cruising around with it.

Registry Visit 5

Again, your attitude is shining here. It's not a matter of incompetence from the registry. It's incompetence from ICBC. They effectively fucked over the previous owner and never did their job when he registered it in BC. They were to notify registries of the transfer. They didnt - so there is an issue. The registry needs to do a touch of due diligence and sort it out. It will take them 5 minutes to sort out.

Now - to sort out your issue (I happen to be one of these people who have - how did you put it? "dead end job with no aspirations"), you have two choices. Go back to the registry, let them sort it out and issue your request for out of province inspection. The reason you need a form for a form is for the mechanic to ensure they are to do the oop not a salvage. The alternative is you go to another registry and try to register it without the inspection. Alberta Transport will find out (Eventually) and revoke registration and make you get the OOP done. Your choice.

Either way you need the original, valid bill of sale, insurance that is valid with that vehicle on it and your drivers licence. If the bos is in a name other than yours, they need to be there too.

Best of luck.