PDA

View Full Version : Sodastream?

Thaco
06-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Didnt wanna dig up the old stread because it was just a bunch of bickering and e-peen measuring.

Just looking for some thoughts from those who have one, do you still use it? how often? is it your go-to or do you still buy other stuff because it became too much of a hassle? best hacks/Co2 bulk source?

I haven't got one yet but i am looking in to it, being a family of 4 we drink a bit of the bubbly stuff so i am considering them to try to make things a little cheaper. (and get rid of this damn recycling bin)

Super_Geo
06-13-2018, 07:51 AM
I really like mine... so much so that I got my parents one and the inlaws one as well. No longer have to haul Costco boxes of Pellegrino, and a lot less plastic waste. Haven't gotten around to bulk CO2 yet, should definitely get around to it with 3 active households using it.

Surprisingly, London Drugs was the cheapest place to get it from.

phreezee
06-13-2018, 08:54 AM
We use ours daily, just soda water though. Been lazy to get bulk CO2 as well. Let me know if you want to do a group buy.

JustinL
06-13-2018, 10:37 AM
We use ours all the time. Just for bubbly water, almost never use syrups. My wife gets bed bath and beyond 20% off coupons frequently, so we get the CO2 there.

schurchill39
06-13-2018, 12:08 PM
EDIT: Deleted because I misread the original post and didn't have anything productive to ad

KPHMPH
06-13-2018, 12:41 PM
We use ours daily, just for water - bought a decent amount of syrup and haven’t touched it yet.

It really saves us a decent amount of buying costco san pal.

shakalaka
06-13-2018, 12:58 PM
What is a good kind to have and from where? Best prices? Been contemplating getting one for a long time.

BigDL
06-13-2018, 01:12 PM
I use mine once in a while, what we did yesterday was crush up some strawberries and tossed it into the water after I carbonated it. That was pretty tasty.

syscal
06-13-2018, 02:27 PM
I guess you can get one model that will fit a CO2 tank meant for airsoft or paintball. Refills are like $6 or something instead of the expensive soda stream bottles. Unsure if there's such a thing as food quality CO2 or if the lining of the tanks would be different. My parents do this.

Quick google found this https://lifehacker.com/tweak-a-sodastream-to-use-cheaper-co2-containers-and-st-1788165044

r3ccOs
06-13-2018, 02:52 PM
I guess you can get one model that will fit a CO2 tank meant for airsoft or paintball. Refills are like $6 or something instead of the expensive soda stream bottles. Unsure if there's such a thing as food quality CO2 or if the lining of the tanks would be different. My parents do this.

Quick google found this https://lifehacker.com/tweak-a-sodastream-to-use-cheaper-co2-containers-and-st-1788165044

issue is with consuming food grade co2 cartridge... I don't chance i

suntan
06-13-2018, 03:59 PM
You evil people contributing to global warming!

Thaco
06-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Yeah i have read about the bulk tanks, i would definitely do that, you can get the parts on aliexpress for like $30, most expensive part is the bottle, its like $180 for a 5lb, refills are cheap

Glad to hear its more than just a quick death novelty for most people. I was thinking of using it with Mio or something, we already use that a lot, so adding some bubbly would be nice.

The_Penguin
06-13-2018, 05:48 PM
I drink plain bubbly water. Dunno why, but drinking just water I just can't seem to get much down, but can with bubbly water. I used to go through a few 2L bottles a week.
I was going to buy a Sodastream, did the math based on the full cost of the replacement CO2 tank and decided against it.
Got one as a gift, and realized that trading in your tank is considerably less. Comes out cheaper than the bottles I was buying, and no empties piling up.

soupey
06-13-2018, 11:35 PM
if anyone wants one, i had a cheap one i was using at my workplace in Saddletowne in the NE, haven't bothered to get a new cartridge in months, free for the taking if someone wants to try it out. Might still have empties to trade in for new cartridges as well. send me a pm if you're interested.

cycosis
06-14-2018, 09:11 AM
Use mine daily. It helped me quit drinking as its more of a sipping beverage rather than a chugging beverage. I also mix 2/3rd bubbly water and 1/3 orange juice a lot. Super tasty.

gmc72
06-14-2018, 10:14 AM
We were given one as a gift a few years ago. Used it a bit, but then we slowly stopped using it. Now it sits in the garage collecting dust and we use the bottles for plain water in the fridge.

I never did like the taste of fizzy water, and the syrups never helped.

Swank
06-18-2018, 01:30 PM
if anyone wants one, i had a cheap one i was using at my workplace in Saddletowne in the NE, haven't bothered to get a new cartridge in months, free for the taking if someone wants to try it out. Might still have empties to trade in for new cartridges as well. send me a pm if you're interested.

PM'd

Thaco
06-18-2018, 01:44 PM

i'll take it, i haven't bought one yet, just looking for info, but i'd love to try one out for free.

Thaco
10-26-2018, 09:50 AM
i ended up getting one a while back for cheap, got the kit form aliexpress to use the bulk tanks, anybody have suggestions for where to fill the tanks? i emailed praxair, for food grade they want $200 for the tank and $45 for a fill, they dotn even have the tanks right now because of the tariffs.. i can order a tank from amazon for $90, just not sure if there are cheaper options for filling it.

EDIT, just emailed innovative fire and safety(formerly recharge center), found it in some old threads here, will see what they say.

Thaco
02-01-2019, 08:37 PM
finally got my tank, got one from amazon for $90ish, innovative said $30 to fill, will likely do that as soon as i can (only opened business hours so makes it hard)

benyl
02-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Which tank?

Maxx Mazda
02-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Got a SodaStream for Christmas. Love it. Wish cartridges were cheaper, but for the sheer convenience of being able to make pop on demand and not have to get it with groceries it’s worth it.

macman64
02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
i ended up getting one a while back for cheap, got the kit form aliexpress to use the bulk tanks, anybody have suggestions for where to fill the tanks? i emailed praxair, for food grade they want $200 for the tank and $45 for a fill, they dotn even have the tanks right now because of the tariffs.. i can order a tank from amazon for $90, just not sure if there are cheaper options for filling it.

EDIT, just emailed innovative fire and safety(formerly recharge center), found it in some old threads here, will see what they say.

I am working to get home beer taps setup right now which will include a sparkling water. I bought a 5# CO2 tank full for $130 from the Vineyard. They do full exchange program for $30 which would cover your certifications later or $25 for a fill. The fills take longer though. Lookup a kegerator or keezer setup if you already have the tank since the most expensive part is the regulator and tank.

ExtraSlow
02-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Would love to see some pics of your kegerator / beer taps with water. Sounds very cool.

mr2mike
02-02-2019, 10:35 AM
The real ballers have a fridge with the fizzy water dispenser.

macman64
02-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Would love to see some pics of your kegerator / beer taps with water. Sounds very cool.

Here is pictures of how it looks today. Not complete but not far off. https://imgur.com/gallery/nGY0jy2

For the soda water I will need to buy one more Corny keg fill it up and connect line to it and wait. I plan to have beer, cider, root beer and soda water on tap. Depending on what friends drink I will tune what to have more of.

This setup is a bit more complicated than a standard keezer because of the cooling for the remote lines but if you are handy it isn't too hard to do.

ExtraSlow
02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
That's amazing. Nice work.

ThePenIsMightier
02-02-2019, 11:30 AM
Slightly off topic but does anyone know where to buy 8 gram CO2 cartridges that are food grade?
I can easily find NO2 ones for making whipped cream and non-food-grade ones for pellet guns but I can't find the ones for beer. It's for a Growlerwerks fancy beer growler.

Thaco
02-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Which tank?

Here's the tank https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076JGDZJP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here's the reg https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003WX772G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a growlerwerks 128oz pressureised growler i plan to set up with a similar setup after the wife's sodastream is done.
(same as this, but the wife got it for me for xmas from wine and beyond https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N0H04X8/ref=twister_B07KWTYKX9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

- - - Updated - - -

I am working to get home beer taps setup right now which will include a sparkling water. I bought a 5# CO2 tank full for $130 from the Vineyard. They do full exchange program for $30 which would cover your certifications later or $25 for a fill. The fills take longer though. Lookup a kegerator or keezer setup if you already have the tank since the most expensive part is the regulator and tank.

thanks i'll check them out, open weekends is the biggest seller for me. the swap program sounds like a great idea. Just browsing their site, that place could get me in trouble, lol...

bourge73
02-02-2019, 01:40 PM
finally got my tank, got one from amazon for $90ish, innovative said $30 to fill, will likely do that as soon as i can (only opened business hours so makes it hard)

It’s kike $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond to fill / exchange tanks and they always have those 20% off coupons
And on top of that isn’t there like some 12 year old Chinese kid that will refill them for like $10 he has his own business and I think they will do the swaps at like the old Macs/ whatever it’s name is now in Panormama

Thaco
02-02-2019, 01:49 PM
It’s kike $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond to fill / exchange tanks and they always have those 20% off coupons
And on top of that isn’t there like some 12 year old Chinese kid that will refill them for like $10 he has his own business and I think they will do the swaps at like the old Macs/ whatever it’s name is now in Panormama

i think you're talking about the sodastream tanks, we're talking about real co2 tanks.

bourge73
02-02-2019, 02:29 PM
i think you're talking about the sodastream tanks, we're talking about real co2 tanks.

My bad read the thread title

Thaco
02-11-2019, 12:09 PM
found a place by me called oxypro that'll swap tanks for $39/fill, so i might go that way, i like my shiny new tank but its not worth the hassle of turn around time and re-certifying etc...

and at $40 its only the price of 2 of the sodastream tanks, should pay for its self with 1-2 fills.

Thaco
02-16-2019, 03:34 PM
went to oxypro today, they swapped my 5lb tank, ended up being $47, $29 for the fill and $14 hazmat (and taxes)

so more than expected, but still way better value than sodastream tanks.

ExtraSlow
12-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Sodastream bump. Have realized that I am drinking more soda water, in an effort not to pour so much unhealthy shit down my gullet. It's working but maybe a Sodastream would be even better than buying either cans or 2L bottles of soda water. I mostly just use a shot of lime juice.

I know nearly nothing about these devices. Tips tricks etc? Seems like this one at London Drugs is rhe cheapest kit.
https://www.londondrugs.com/sodastream-genesis-sparkling-water-maker---titan-silver/L5380472.html

ThePenIsMightier
12-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Sodastream bump. Have realized that I am drinking more soda water, in an effort not to pour so much unhealthy shit down my gullet. It's working but maybe a Sodastream would be even better than buying either cans or 2L bottles of soda water. I mostly just use a shot of lime juice.

I know nearly nothing about these devices. Tips tricks etc? Seems like this one at London Drugs is rhe cheapest kit.
https://www.londondrugs.com/sodastream-genesis-sparkling-water-maker---titan-silver/L5380472.html

It's $80. You've done that math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing, and, you're "frugal" or as I imagine your wife calls you - "a cheap cunt".
PC Blue Label goes on sale for $2/case about twice a year and $3/case about 10x per year.
So... After your $80 initial cost and whatever $/L this thing can crank out delicious, bubbly water at... Can it beat that? If so, is the payback period measured in years or decades?

Just drink the cans. Actually - y'all gots a jobbie, now. Stop being a pleb and wrap your lips around some San Pellegrino.
Goes great with extra meat.

rage2
12-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Don’t forget co2 cartridge refill costs. We don’t have our soda stream for costs savings. We have it for the convenience.

Disoblige
12-15-2019, 11:19 PM
Even going through the custom cannister route I can't justify the initial cost and refill compared to just buying cheap cans when they're sale (ex: Bubly, Canada Dry, etc.)

Lots of selection these days.

schocker
12-15-2019, 11:29 PM
la croix 4 life

Homerrca
12-16-2019, 07:21 AM
We bought the model that shows the level of carbonation you want to have but after a few months, we stopped using it. It was a pain to find decent flavors and it was cheaper to get the name brand pop we wanted when they were on sale. Don't really drink pop any more

phreezee
12-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Too bad I didn't see this thread last week. There was a sale on the CO2 bottles for $19.99 without empty exchange at a couple places like Best Buy and Staples.

dirtsniffer
12-16-2019, 09:12 AM
I have a penguin. Soda water tastes great. Maybe use 2 co2 canisters a year

spikerS
06-14-2021, 03:38 PM
So, bump from the dead?

What's the verdict? those of you that had them, are you still using them?

Worth it to get one? I am debating it.

ShermanEF9
06-14-2021, 03:56 PM
I still use mine. I like the variety of flavors, and starting to prefer the taste of some of them over the real ones.

The_Penguin
06-14-2021, 07:27 PM
I still use mine. And Mrs. Penguin is starting to use it now that you can get Bubly for it. We were taking back a metric shit-ton of cans...
'course now my beer cans stand out a bit more...

phreezee
06-16-2021, 08:58 AM
Still use mine, no syrups. 7 canisters lasts me about a year, so the annual cost is $140. If you exchange them all at once at Superstore, the amount counts toward the free item of the week to help offset the cost.

Thaco
06-16-2021, 10:16 AM
Wife doesnt use ours often, I think it's just too bulky with the real co2 tank so there's no place to put it thats not fugly and it's too much work to haul it out every time.

Disoblige
06-16-2021, 02:05 PM
There should be a retrofit kit made where you can put a CO2 canister under your kitchen sink that feeds to a tap where you can carbonate your beverage. Kinda like that hot water tap feature.

killramos
06-16-2021, 02:13 PM
There should be a retrofit kit made where you can put a CO2 canister under your kitchen sink that feeds to a tap where you can carbonate your beverage. Kinda like that hot water tap feature.

So basically a bar soda gun?

Thaco
06-16-2021, 02:18 PM
a kegerator, minus the fun

phreezee
06-16-2021, 03:19 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-Adapter-Accessories-Connect-Machine/dp/B08F3GL43B/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=sodastream+adapter&qid=1623878269&sr=8-5

For me refilling and recertifying the co2 canisters wasn't worth the hassle. I used to take my tank to Sprouse Fire and Safety, but there are probably better options.