PDA

View Full Version : By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs

bensonchuong
06-14-2018, 12:18 PM
So I was visited by a by-law officer today and given a Business Licence Warning Notice. I live in NW Calgary, Hamptons.

TL-DR: Well supposedly, it's illegal to work on cars if they aren't registered at your address; even for family and for free.

We had a chat about the issue and my answer to her question about me doing auto repairs and how often was, I work on my vehicles and I do pretty major repairs like engine rebuilds and clutches, etc. and a 3-4 times a year my uncle comes and I help him do an oil change. I was told this is violating by-law. I even mentioned that I don't charge my uncle for my time, it's just and oil change or putting on winter tires. I was then told it doesn't matter if I charge money or not. I was told I need a business licence to do any work on vehicles that I don't own. She went on to say licences were about $260 a year plus what ever else is needed (AMVIC $250, fire, etc.).

I asked why it's illegal to help family with simple auto repairs and was told that it caused unnecessary traffic on my residential street. Which I went on to ask, if my uncle is coming over to visit, how is that unnecessary traffic. :confused: Answer I was given was that's the way it is and I should go to my uncles house to do his auto repairs.

I looked up the by law (32M98) and the law checks out, but this is absurd. I guess this is more a rant but maybe the law needs some looking at. Pretty much i'm told that helping family is illegal, so much for caring communities in Calgary.

Opinions anyone?

tirebob
06-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Well honestly I feel it is good in regards to keeping shady people from doing under the table, inferior work without proper insurance etc to protect the consumer. You may be just helping family but for every 1 person for that this is true, there are probably 10 or even 100 that are pulling shady business practices and not paying the same taxes legit businesses have to pay and cover.

This all said, bylaw is not going to come by and give you grief unless you have someone complaining about you, so either you have a shitty neighbour problem or you are working more often than 4 times a year because you will have to have pissed somebody off...

FraserB
06-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Tirebob is right. Bylaw is complaint based and won’t visit unless someone calls them first.

Where are you doing all the work? Because if it was in the garage and only tire swaps and oil changes, no one is even going to know. Maybe family or friends sometimes leave their cars overnight with you? Or you work a lot outside?

Either way, someone was pissed off enough by you fixing cars to keep track of comings and goings for a while and then call bylaw.

lasimmon
06-14-2018, 01:42 PM
I bet there is a way more to this story then OP is letting on. No way what you describe would get someone to call by-law on you.

Rocket1k78
06-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Well honestly I feel it is good in regards to keeping shady people from doing under the table, inferior work without proper insurance etc to protect the consumer. You may be just helping family but for every 1 person for that this is true, there are probably 10 or even 100 that are pulling shady business practices and not paying the same taxes legit businesses have to pay and cover.

I feel this is good too! FWP but i pay good money to live in a nice area so the last thing i want is a home based mechanic opening up shop beside me lol

- - - Updated - - -

I bet there is a way more to this story then OP is letting on. No way what you describe would get someone to call by-law on you.

I didnt want to be the first but im with you. There are shitty neighbors that dont tolerate anything but i suspect theres more going on than a couple oil changes lol

rage2
06-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Pretty much i'm told that helping family is illegal, so much for caring communities in Calgary.
Helping family isn't illegal. Fixing family's cars at your place is. If you really want to help, fix it at their place.

Joe Magliocca is the last person I would associate with not caring about others. Just because he DGAF about you, doesn't mean he doesn't care about everyone else that lives around you.

Gestalt
06-14-2018, 02:59 PM
So I was visited by a by-law officer today and given a Business Licence Warning Notice. I live in NW Calgary, Hamptons (across from not-to-be-named councilor).

TL-DR: Well supposedly, it's illegal to work on cars if they aren't registered at your address; even for family and for free.

We had a chat about the issue and my answer to her question about me doing auto repairs and how often was, I work on my vehicles and I do pretty major repairs like engine rebuilds and clutches, etc. and a 3-4 times a year my uncle comes and I help him do an oil change. I was told this is violating by-law. I even mentioned that I don't charge my uncle for my time, it's just and oil change or putting on winter tires. I was then told it doesn't matter if I charge money or not. I was told I need a business licence to do any work on vehicles that I don't own. She went on to say licences were about $260 a year plus what ever else is needed (AMVIC $250, fire, etc.).

I asked why it's illegal to help family with simple auto repairs and was told that it caused unnecessary traffic on my residential street. Which I went on to ask, if my uncle is coming over to visit, how is that unnecessary traffic. :confused: Answer I was given was that's the way it is and I should go to my uncles house to do his auto repairs.

I looked up the by law (32M98) and the law checks out, but this is absurd. I guess this is more a rant but maybe the law needs some looking at. Pretty much i'm told that helping family is illegal, so much for caring communities in Calgary.

Opinions anyone?

It's impossibel to get a license to work on cars at home. she is lying.

that section does not mean anything to you. Did she give you a section oyu are violating? A business is understood to be a business. long hours, expectation of revenue and profit, general public etc. a hobby is not a business. there must be another section that you are violating.

ganesh
06-14-2018, 03:23 PM
I feel this is good too! FWP but i pay good money to live in a nice area so the last thing i want is a home based mechanic opening up shop beside me lol

+1

bensonchuong
06-14-2018, 03:28 PM
I edited out the counselor, I was merely trying to give a context of where I lived.

- - - Updated - - -

Helping family isn't illegal. Fixing family's cars at your place is. If you really want to help, fix it at their place.

Joe Magliocca is the last person I would associate with not caring about others. Just because he DGAF about you, doesn't mean he doesn't care about everyone else that lives around you.

I edited out the counselor, I was merely trying to give a context of where I lived.

- - - Updated - - -

It's impossibel to get a license to work on cars at home. she is lying.

that section does not mean anything to you. Did she give you a section oyu are violating? A business is understood to be a business. long hours, expectation of revenue and profit, general public etc. a hobby is not a business. there must be another section that you are violating.

Actually, I was told a business is an activity. It has nothing to do with if you make money or not. And FWIW It's my uncle I don't even charge him for the oil. He'll get me a nice birthday present or something.

- - - Updated - - -

We own 6 vehicles that I maintain and they all have a parking spot off the street (2 in garage, 4 on driveway). Plus my uncles who stops by 3-4 times a year. I do the oil changes and tire swaps. So thats around 15 oil changes and 14 tire swaps a year. and yes lately with the nice weather I'm leaving my garage door open while I work and since Winter just ended I have been out the last 2 weeks changing off the tires.

bjstare
06-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Agreed.

Bet the driveway/street is covered in oil stains. haha

bensonchuong
06-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Agreed.

I'm fine if someone called because they though it was a business, I agree we have a lot of vehicles, but there's 5 of us who live here and everyone has to drive to work and such. What bugs me is i'm being asked to get a licence to change my uncles oil a few times a year and that the only reason why I got a notice.

And not to brag but there's not even one oil stain on my driveway. Ever drop of oil is cleaned as soon as I see it. Oil drips on the ground is a pet peeve of mine. I put down news paper and cardboard ever time I do work. I've changed 3 rear main seals that were leaking just a few drops a week.

Gestalt
06-14-2018, 04:15 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I was told a business is an activity. It has nothing to do with if you make money or not. And FWIW It's my uncle I don't even charge him for the oil. He'll get me a nice birthday present or something.

- - - Updated - - -

We own 6 vehicles that I maintain and they all have a parking spot off the street (2 in garage, 4 on driveway). Plus my uncles who stops by 3-4 times a year. I do the oil changes and tire swaps. So thats around 15 oil changes and 14 tire swaps a year. and yes lately with the nice weather I'm leaving my garage door open while I work and since Winter just ended I have been out the last 2 weeks changing off the tires.

Its not my uncle went theough this, except in reverse (long story). A business is more then an activity or cutting your grass or changing your bike tire would be a business.

And there is no requirement to have the vehicle registered to you. We are all mechanics and work at home as hobby. To have it registered requires insurance. There's no point on a project car. They are scarong you because you don't know any better.

killramos
06-14-2018, 04:27 PM
So your driveway is essentially a minute lube 30/52 weekends a year? That doesn’t sound annoying at all...

End of the day it seems like you pushed your luck and someone got annoyed enough to call bylaw about it and, shockingly, it turned out you were in the wrong.

Guess you better bring a wrench over to your uncles house come fall. That’s what I do when someone asks for my help changing tires etc. Big deal.

bjstare
06-14-2018, 04:44 PM
I'm fine if someone called because they though it was a business, I agree we have a lot of vehicles, but there's 6 of us who live here and everyone has to drive to work and such. What bugs me is i'm being asked to get a licence to change my uncles oil a few times a year and that the only reason why I got a notice.

And not to brag but there's not even one oil stain on my driveway. Ever drop of oil is cleaned as soon as I see it. Oil drips on the ground is a pet peeve of mine. I put down news paper and cardboard ever time I do work. I've changed 3 rear main seals that were leaking just a few drops a week.

Your neighbours are probably getting tired of living next to a motel/auto mechanic. Move to the NE if you want to avoid this in the future.

dirtsniffer
06-14-2018, 05:02 PM

Yup. Your shit stinks.

Why on earth would you need to change 3 rear seals?

bensonchuong
06-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Yup. Your shit stinks.

Why on earth would you need to change 3 rear seals?

With 3 cars over 300k running in great condition, seals are just part of wear and tear.

dirtsniffer
06-14-2018, 05:38 PM
good reminder to not live in the hamptons.

ExtraSlow
06-14-2018, 05:47 PM
The bylaw might be poorly worded, but people regularly bring their vehicles to your house for maintenance and repair is exactly what it was intended to prevent. Clearly yiur neighbours have an issue with your actions.

If the tools and equipment required for such activities are not easily transportable to the address of the registered owner, then you are for all intents running a shop. If the tools are easily transportable, then do so.

Gestalt
06-14-2018, 05:58 PM
If the busy bodies get out of line, twice a week throw an open garage block party, invite friends, turn up the music, have a big smoky bbq. Just make sure you are done by 10pm, and no alcohol.

Invite your neighbor that complained.

Too many peole in this city stick there noses where they don't belong.

HiTempguy1
06-14-2018, 06:07 PM
. So thats around 15 oil changes and 14 tire swaps a year. and yes lately with the nice weather I'm leaving my garage door open while I work and since Winter just ended I have been out the last 2 weeks changing off the tires.

Keep your door closed, derp.

But beyond that, you sound like the neighbour from hell, especially as it sounds like this is out of a front attached garage?

I've done lots of work out of my garages in residential, but noise and tidyness was always my number 1 concern. Using air tools as sparingly as possible, not running the compressor or swinging sledges late at night, etc etc.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I agree its bullshit if your story is as you say and there isn't any other factors. I've spent almost the last week in Calgary, there is just an oppressive nimby air around the city now.

As for the "shady backyard mechanics", fuck me, I'll take one of those compared to most shops charging $150+/hr and not fixing the problem, then having the balls to charge you more to try and fix it again. Lawl.

Inferior work is what is performed at 90% of automorive shops out there, its fucking ludicrous the murder they get away with. And its essentially no recourse, regardless of insurance or whatever other bullshit registration and licencing they have.

AndyL
06-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Must be scenic acres ;)

Ahhh... I don't miss that neighbourhood.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Live in the same community and never had any issues, but only work on vehicles that we own. Most of my neighbours do their own tire swaps and maintenance too. You must have someone who complained.

ExtraSlow
06-15-2018, 07:45 AM
You must have someone who complained. 100% for sure, bylaw operates on a complaint basis for these calls.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Man, never thought I'd see the day when Beyonders gave someone shit for working on their own car or their friends' rides.

OP, you've got a nosy neighbor. If you're working on somebody else's car, do it with the door shut. If Bylaw approaches you again, politely inform them that you heeded their warning and you now only work on vehicles registered to your address - it's up to them to prove otherwise. Be a good neighbor and don't make lots of noise late at night.

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-15-2018, 08:19 AM
I've had friends/family come by for tire swaps/oil changes, but I'll do it inside the garage, and no one has ever complained. I've also seen other neighbors do their own work as well.

rage2
06-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Man, never thought I'd see the day when Beyonders gave someone shit for working on their own car or their friends' rides.
That's not the core of the problem.

He lives in a nice part of Hamptons, and he's got 6 old cars between 5 people, and works out of his garage with the door open in full view, and maybe on his driveway too (I can't based on what he posted). Then he has family come over, and it's probably a car shuffle dance to get his uncle's car in the garage for work. He claims all 6 cars are in garage and driveway, but I'm sure that there are cars on the road as well when people come over to get work done on their cars. That's the problem.

A couple blocks down from my house, there's an Asian family that's pretty much the same story. Except they don't even park in the garage, they just work on cars in there. Every neighbor hates them, and it's not even close to a fancy area like where OP lives.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-15-2018, 09:07 AM

He lives in a nice part of Hamptons, and he's got 6 old cars between 5 people, and works out of his garage with the door open in full view, and maybe on his driveway too (I can't based on what he posted). Then he has family come over, and it's probably a car shuffle dance to get his uncle's car in the garage for work. That's the problem.

I think it’s just how you do your business that matters, we’ve got 9 vehicles for 5 people but we never let anything sit on the street for long periods of time, never work on the street and rarely the driveway, usually garage and never late at night or early in the morning, no music or loud tools either. We always clean up, don’t spill fluids or let anything leak anywhere, never leave projects or unfinished work outside or visible either. Our neighbours have been great and often stop by to chat or ask opinions on their own cars and repairs, two way street of respect.

Of course there is still the by law against working on other people’s vehicles.

mr2mike
06-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Agreed.
That's another by-law. But it is actually a by-law. My friend's dad always got called for this by the annoyed neighbour. They had a few blow ups over the years so he would continually call by-law and they would issue warning but no ticket to my knowledge.

Close your garage door but also, I can't see moving 3 vehicles around to swap tires in your garage for your uncle as being very efficient.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-15-2018, 10:02 AM

He lives in a nice part of Hamptons, and he's got 6 old cars between 5 people, and works out of his garage with the door open in full view, and maybe on his driveway too (I can't based on what he posted). Then he has family come over, and it's probably a car shuffle dance to get his uncle's car in the garage for work. He claims all 6 cars are in garage and driveway, but I'm sure that there are cars on the road as well when people come over to get work done on their cars. That's the problem.

A couple blocks down from my house, there's an Asian family that's pretty much the same story. Except they don't even park in the garage, they just work on cars in there. Every neighbor hates them, and it's not even close to a fancy area like where OP lives.

I mean, I don't care if it's the Hamptons or Forest Lawn, he can do what he wants with his property within the confines of the law - and in this case I'd argue the law seems overly broad in its efforts to curb unlicensed shops. If folks don't want to see that kind of thing, they can always buy in a neighborhood with a restrictive HOA that bans DIY vehicle work and driveway parking. Do people really get that hot and bothered about people working in the garage with the door open, or should all work be done with the door closed so everybody can pretend they service their stuff at the dealership? I work on all sorts of shit with my doors open and I've had nothing but friendly visits from folks interested in what I'm wrenching on.

I get that we should all strive to be good neighbors, but I hate busybodies that want to police what others do. As long as he's not running an auto shop out of his garage, making a mess in the driveway or street, or violating noise ordinances, I don't really see the problem - especially if he's keeping the vehicles on his own property rather than in the street. And, lest I be seen as a hypocrite, I share an alleyway with a guy that literally runs an unlicensed garage our of his shop and I've never called Bylaw on him - but I'll do it if he dumps oil in the alleyway or something egregious.

killramos
06-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Front driveway neighbourhood, aka no parking anywhere, with 6 cars with over 300,000km on them in what many people consider to be an aspirational area.

Aka junk cars everywhere, always being worked on, no parking anywhere. Probably makes for awesome street appeal. This is just as legitimate as being irritated at someone who lets their lawn die and makes the neighbourhood look like a trailer park. Busybodies or not they have a real claim to be annoyed.

Neighbours are probably looking for any reason to call bylaw on him, shitty thing for OP is they found a legit claim. This is without even considering any other aspect of the situation that likely make OP a shitty neighbor ( I mean honestly, we all have reasons that make us shitty or annoying neighbors).

mr2mike
06-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Obviously annoyed someone enough for a stream of complaints. Probably starting with visitors having to park in front of other people's houses because there's nowhere to park.

rage2
06-15-2018, 11:25 AM
I mean, I don't care if it's the Hamptons or Forest Lawn, he can do what he wants with his property within the confines of the law - and in this case I'd argue the law seems overly broad in its efforts to curb unlicensed shops. If folks don't want to see that kind of thing, they can always buy in a neighborhood with a restrictive HOA that bans DIY vehicle work and driveway parking. Do people really get that hot and bothered about people working in the garage with the door open, or should all work be done with the door closed so everybody can pretend they service their stuff at the dealership? I work on all sorts of shit with my doors open and I've had nothing but friendly visits from folks interested in what I'm wrenching on.
There's so much that's messed up with the letter of the law though. Sure he can be going by the letter of the law, but doesn't mean he's not annoying others for whatever reason (loud tools all the time for instance). My opinion, can't choose your neighbors, better to be a good neighbor than a dick that's pushing the limits of what the law allows. Goes both ways. Poor kenny at his old house had a spat with his neighbor, and they'd call bylaw on him to ticket his car because his car was more than 6" from the curb or something stupid. Stupid letter of the law being abused. :nut:

Even during my younger days, I was pretty respectful of the neighbors. I'd give all of them my cell # if they have any problems, because I'd throw kick ass parties that last through the night at my place. Loud party till 4am, no bylaw bullshit to deal with. Maybe if he was more friendly with the neighbors, they'd know of his situation and would let things slide more.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-15-2018, 11:55 AM
There's so much that's messed up with the letter of the law though. Sure he can be going by the letter of the law, but doesn't mean he's not annoying others for whatever reason (loud tools all the time for instance). My opinion, can't choose your neighbors, better to be a good neighbor than a dick that's pushing the limits of what the law allows. Goes both ways. Poor kenny at his old house had a spat with his neighbor, and they'd call bylaw on him to ticket his car because his car was more than 6" from the curb or something stupid. Stupid letter of the law being abused. :nut:

Even during my younger days, I was pretty respectful of the neighbors. I'd give all of them my cell # if they have any problems, because I'd throw kick ass parties that last through the night at my place. Loud party till 4am, no bylaw bullshit to deal with. Maybe if he was more friendly with the neighbors, they'd know of his situation and would let things slide more.

Yeah, I hear ya. I completely agree laws can be abused, and if OP is indeed being a shitty neighbor the community has the right to take what actions they can. That said, there's been a lot of conclusions jumped to here about OP having shitty junk cars, leaking all over the driveway/street, working on vehicles in the driveway, taking up massive amounts of street parking, etc. when all we actually know is that he has a handful of cars and does his own oil changes, and somebody in his hood doesn't like it. I've run into equal numbers of shit neighbors and busybody assholes in my days, and I'm willing to give OP the benefit of the doubt. You can be sweet as sugar with some folks and they'll still call bylaw if they think there's the slightest transgression - and they tend to be way more prevalent in good neighborhoods than bad ones.

firebane
06-15-2018, 11:56 AM
The funny thing is... people doing oil changes in there garage get SCREWED.

The City only allows a maximum quantity of 20 liters of oil in 1 visit to the dump or Firestations.
http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/What-goes-where/Motor-oil.aspx

Found this out the hard way lol.

Rocket1k78
06-15-2018, 12:04 PM
but only work on vehicles that we OWN. Most of my neighbours do their OWN tire swaps and maintenance too.

Op was not working on his own cars though. He said he worked on his uncles car too and i would be willing to bet there were more than that. A good trusted mechanic is hard to find so if op's that good im sure hes helped friends and other family. I know there are shitty nosy people out there but you have to be a real pos to complain on 1 non resident car being worked on a couple times a year.

I mean, I don't care if it's the Hamptons or Forest Lawn, he can do what he wants with his property within the confines of the law

I get the whole its your property thing but theres got to be limits and thats what the bylaws are for. Some people do care about petty shit but i really dont think op was only working on just his uncles car. Would you be ok if your neighbor turned their house into some type of hoarder special and had shit stacked up all over his property?

rage2
06-15-2018, 12:14 PM
That said, there's been a lot of conclusions jumped to here about OP having shitty junk cars, leaking all over the driveway/street, working on vehicles in the driveway, taking up massive amounts of street parking, etc. when all we actually know is that he has a handful of cars and does his own oil changes, and somebody in his hood doesn't like it.
I dunno about others, but I'm not jumping to conclusions, I know where he lives.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-15-2018, 12:17 PM
The funny thing is... people doing oil changes in there garage get SCREWED.

The City only allows a maximum quantity of 20 liters of oil in 1 visit to the dump or Firestations.
http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/What-goes-where/Motor-oil.aspx

Found this out the hard way lol.

I take mine to the Airdrie recycling depot one a year or so, no volume limits that I'm aware of and about the same drive as the Calgary dump for me.

I dunno about others, but I'm not jumping to conclusions, I know where he lives.

Unless I missed something, that's the first time you or anyone else has mentioned knowing specifically where the OP lives outside of his general mention of the Hamptons.

bensonchuong
06-15-2018, 12:33 PM
Front driveway neighbourhood, aka no parking anywhere, with 6 cars with over 300,000km on them in what many people consider to be an aspirational area.

Aka junk cars everywhere, always being worked on, no parking anywhere. Probably makes for awesome street appeal. This is just as legitimate as being irritated at someone who lets their lawn die and makes the neighbourhood look like a trailer park. Busybodies or not they have a real claim to be annoyed.

Neighbours are probably looking for any reason to call bylaw on him, shitty thing for OP is they found a legit claim. This is without even considering any other aspect of the situation that likely make OP a shitty neighbor ( I mean honestly, we all have reasons that make us shitty or annoying neighbors).

Actually, There's 3 on street parking spots in front of my house which are always empty unless visitors park there.

And 300k km doesn't mean Junk. I have two Acuras and a Honda, all over 300k, no rust, no body damage, and I polish and wax them twice a year. They are in better shape than most vehicles out there.
I've done rear main seals for the Acuras and rebuilt the head for the Honda when the chain failed.

bensonchuong
06-15-2018, 12:36 PM
I take mine to the Airdrie recycling depot one a year or so, no volume limits that I'm aware of and about the same drive as the Calgary dump for me.

I take my oil to Canadian Tire, Dalhousie and Beacon Hill gladly accept it because they have oil burning furnaces that they use to heat their shop.

ShermanEF9
06-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Actually, There's 3 on street parking spots in front of my house which are always empty unless visitors park there.

And 300k km doesn't mean Junk. I have two Acuras and a Honda, all over 300k, no rust, no body damage, and I polish and wax them twice a year. They are in better shape than most vehicles out there.
I've done rear main seals for the Acuras and rebuilt the head for the Honda when the chain failed.

you don't see it this way, but your neighbors certainly do. concentrate less on the fact bylaw came and gave you a warning, and more on the fact the people around you have a case to call them.

speedog
06-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Not the Hamptons but nearby...

http://spot311.calgary.ca/reports/18-00558733

btimbit
06-16-2018, 12:07 AM
Someone working on cars doesn't bug me in the slightest. Unless there's broken vehicles leaking and in pieces outside I can't possibly see why anyone would care.

In OP's case specifically though I would guess the bigger issue is that the the property is loaded with several POS cars and looks like a junkyard

Tik-Tok
06-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Beyonds median age has gotten 15 years older since the begining. Bunch of cranky old farts who enjoy the "bought, not built" life now, lol.

bensonchuong
06-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Someone working on cars doesn't bug me in the slightest. Unless there's broken vehicles leaking and in pieces outside I can't possibly see why anyone would care.

In OP's case specifically though I would guess the bigger issue is that the the property is loaded with several POS cars and looks like a junkyard

Having a few older vehicles doesn't automatically mean they are POS cars. As I've posted before all our vehicles are in great shape, with no rust, leaks or other issues. I take pride in taking care of my vehicles, and even though some are older they have been well taken care of. We are a 5 person household with work lives that need to drive, it's not that these vehicles are parked there all day long. I hardly do any of the work on the weekend, as I have time during the day on weekdays to do my maintenance.

bensonchuong
06-16-2018, 10:45 AM
To bring this post back on topic, the issue here brought up by by-law isn't the fact that I have a bunch of vehicles or that I work on my vehicle. By-law already told me this was fine and the complaint wasn't about noise, untidyness or any other nuisance.

It's the fact that having my uncle visit 3-4 times a year for an oil change or tire swap (doesn't matter if it's free) requires a business licence and is the reason why I got a notice. On top of that the justification for needing a licence was because what I was doing caused an increase in traffic in my neighborhood. Which in my mind is absurd because what's the issue with a family member coming over to visit. They would still be bringing that traffic to the area (unless next thing you know city hall requires you to have a permit to visit friends and family).

ShermanEF9
06-16-2018, 11:39 AM
The city doesn't care it's your uncle. It doesn't matter. The point is the perception. Your neighbours see cars coming in, being worked on, then leaving. That's why bylaw came for a visit.

spikerS
06-16-2018, 02:35 PM

I get that we should all strive to be good neighbors, but I hate busybodies that want to police what others do. As long as he's not running an auto shop out of his garage, making a mess in the driveway or street, or violating noise ordinances, I don't really see the problem - especially if he's keeping the vehicles on his own property rather than in the street. And, lest I be seen as a hypocrite, I share an alleyway with a guy that literally runs an unlicensed garage our of his shop and I've never called Bylaw on him - but I'll do it if he dumps oil in the alleyway or something egregious.

This x what ever made up number you choose in your head.

It's his property, let him do what he wants. People already call the cops over loud kids playing in their yard, or growing the wrong trees and shit. Unless he is an actual curber or a mechanic on kijiji, I say let him be. He owns the property, just as his neighbors do. and if THEY don't like it, they can find a new place to live. Otherwise, what right do they have to tell him what he can do on his property that is within the law?

Neighbors may hate it, but that's their problem. Just my $0.02

btimbit
06-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Having a few older vehicles doesn't automatically mean they are POS cars. As I've posted before all our vehicles are in great shape, with no rust, leaks or other issues. I take pride in taking care of my vehicles, and even though some are older they have been well taken care of. We are a 5 person household with work lives that need to drive, it's not that these vehicles are parked there all day long. I hardly do any of the work on the weekend, as I have time during the day on weekdays to do my maintenance.

I just assumed they're pos cars because you said you're doing major rebuilds numerous times a year

The bylaw does seem to be way too open in its interpretation. Hell if there was a guy on my street actually running an unlicensed mechanics shop I still wouldn't care unless it was a complete mess outside

dirtsniffer
06-17-2018, 06:42 AM
I read the first post again. It doesnt that the bylaw person came by because he was working on his uncle's car, just that it came up in conversation that it's against the bylaw. What was the complaint for?

J-hop
06-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Good to know, I had no idea this was a thing. Very glad I live where I do, more than half the street is just like me, but I guess we do have detached rear garages that are out of sight out of mind so no one pays any attention.

Doesn’t make any sense for family/friends in my opinion. If someone was running a (money-transaction) business I can see why they should have to have a business license but not in this situation.

This probably applies to absolutely everything then? Family member comes over to join you for a bike ride, needs their seat adjusted “sorry uncle I need a business licence to do that, we have to drive back to your house”.

Stupid IMO, and stupid that someone potentially took the time to find that bylaw and call bylaw on you instead of being a decent neighbor and talking to you, respect goes both ways.....

Rat Fink
06-17-2018, 10:13 AM

bensonchuong
06-18-2018, 09:43 AM
I read the first post again. It doesnt that the bylaw person came by because he was working on his uncle's car, just that it came up in conversation that it's against the bylaw. What was the complaint for?

By-law, business licence division, came to speak to me because of a complaint for Auto Repair Work. I was told all complaints are investigated. I explained what I did for my own vehicles and I was told that not a problem. I was asked if anyone else comes to get cars worked on and I mentioned that my uncle comes a few times a year. I was told that "activity" needed a business licence (for profit or not). A Notice for doing a "business activity" without a business licence was given to me because my uncle comes to get a no-charge oil change at my house a few times a year.

G-ZUS
06-18-2018, 10:03 AM
By-law, business licence division, came to speak to me because of a complaint for Auto Repair Work. I was told all complaints are investigated. I explained what I did for my own vehicles and I was told that not a problem. I was asked if anyone else comes to get cars worked on and I mentioned that my uncle comes a few times a year. I was told that "activity" needed a business licence (for profit or not). A Notice for doing a "business activity" without a business licence was given to me because my uncle comes to get a no-charge oil change at my house a few times a year.

Something doesn't add up here, hard to believe that they would make you get a business license to change your uncles oil 4 times a year. Bylaw has reason to believe there is more going on there

FraserB
06-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Something doesn't add up here, hard to believe that they would make you get a business license to change your uncles oil 4 times a year. Bylaw has reason to believe there is more going on there

I’d say the multiple complaints against OP were from neighbors who thought he was running a business because of the sheer volume of cars and workngoinng on. Bylaw comes out, gets the story and warns him for the bylaw he is breakout by, not for his own cars after he explains it.

Regardless, the whole point is flying right over his head. He seems like one of those people who figure that so long as their actions are following the letter of the law, the actual inpact doesn’t matter. Even if they are legal, the vast majority of people in a nicer neighbourhood wouldn’t consider his actions neighbourly. But it probably doesn’t matter at this point, he’s most likely already considered to be “that” neighbor.

Waldi
06-18-2018, 10:30 AM
perhaps offer the service to offended neighbor. I think Calgary municipal government is trying to regulate every aspect of our life.

NissanFanBoy
06-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Man, you must be a terrible neighbour if you had bylaw called on you for that. I spend hundreds of hours working on cars in my garage and use all kinds of air tools. It’s all done inside my garage with the doors closed and follow the local noise bylaw and have ZERO issues. Even my neighbours come to me for car advice. Looking at my house you would never know what goes on in the garage. Sounds like your place is an eyesore, and people are sick of it.

Ya but all it takes is one psycho neighbor though...

killramos
06-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Bylaw complaints are definitely a case of 90% if complaints are made by 10% if the people. Even so, don’t piss people off and they won’t go out of their way to report you.

No one wants to spend their free time documenting your bullshit, calling it in, following up etc. What they want is you to stop being a shitty neighbor.

rage2
06-18-2018, 10:50 AM
What they want is you to stop being a shitty neighbor.
Clearly that's not going to happen. He hasn't even been fined FFS, just a warning and he's trying to figure out and justify how to keep doing what he does without actually getting busted. So either he really fucking loves his Uncle, or he's doing more and not telling us trying to get some sympathy or something, or a loophole to figure out how to keep doing what he wants to do without giving a fuck about others living in the vicinity that have to deal with his shit.

Again, I'm 99% sure I know where he lives, and I have friends that live nearby. His house is known around the area, so not surprised someone bitched.

Disoblige
06-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Ohhh called out.

FraserB
06-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Again, I'm 99% sure I know where he lives, and I have friends that live nearby. His house is known around the area, so not surprised someone bitched.

You can’t post this and not elaborate haha

bjstare
06-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Knew it. Someone go do a driveby and post pics. haha

rage2
06-18-2018, 11:06 AM
There's nothing to elaborate. He has a lot of cars there, and it's a nice area. There's lots of cars coming in and out. I don't know any details of the complaint, as I don't know any of his immediate neighbors or who actually complained. Just have friends that live nearby, them and their neighbors have talked about his house for quite some time and don't like it. They're also aware of this thread and reading up on it.

I only know where he lived because he called out the city councilor in Hamptons in the original post trying to insinuate that it was him, that pinpointed me to exactly what area he's talking about. Joe's been a Hamptons lifer, so anyone that lives there knows where he lives.

killramos
06-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Just go google earth and street view the cheapest part of the Hamptons and find the house with 6 20 year old Honda’s parked out front :rofl:

dirtsniffer
06-18-2018, 11:34 AM
32 hamptons heights NW?

complete with oil stained streets. Although, the fleet of Honda's looks too new.

G-ZUS
06-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Can't lie on the internetz these days.............

TomcoPDR
06-18-2018, 12:03 PM
32 hamptons heights NW?

complete with oil stained streets. Although, the fleet of Honda's looks too new.

That's quite the Uber fleet.

spikerS
06-18-2018, 01:02 PM
32 hamptons heights NW?

a fleet is 2?

mr2mike
06-18-2018, 01:11 PM

Asian_defender
06-18-2018, 01:28 PM

88CRX
06-18-2018, 01:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the area but does nobody plant trees in their front yards?

And WTF is this rock garden hahaha

https://i.imgur.com/ENSbjMF.jpg

dirtsniffer
06-18-2018, 01:37 PM
a fleet is 2?
There is also a CRV on the street

winner for sure

vengie
06-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Pulled this one up on street view, the shitty old vehicles in the driveway check out.

jwslam
06-18-2018, 02:20 PM
What about this collection? Probably not old enough?
Probably also too far into the circle for anyone to care
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.1394426,-114.1587626,3a,75y,182.83h,81.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGtgCMCEmgtRDUnADEBYO2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

rage2
06-18-2018, 02:24 PM
I'm not familiar with the area but does nobody plant trees in their front yards?

And WTF is this rock garden hahaha

https://i.imgur.com/ENSbjMF.jpg
This house checks out as a potential stay at home mechanic. Street view from 2003. :rofl:

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/mySLK32AMG/2003-06-01%20Brabus%20Wheels.jpg

That's actually a beyonder's old house. Pretty sure he did the rock garden. Much improved over the dirt of '03. Clearly as lazy as me. :rofl:

TomcoPDR
06-18-2018, 02:26 PM
I only know where he lived because he called out the city councilor in Hamptons in the original post trying to insinuate that it was him, that pinpointed me to exactly what area he's talking about. Joe's been a Hamptons lifer, so anyone that lives there knows where he lives.

Was this edited out in the original post?

rage2
06-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Was this edited out in the original post?
Yea he took it out, but it's quoted in Gestalt's post. Finally useful for something. :rofl:

Everyone knows Joe Magliocca lives in Hamptons since he's done so much for the community, so it was too easy.

88CRX
06-18-2018, 02:44 PM
This house checks out as a potential stay at home mechanic. Street view from 2003. :rofl:

That's actually a beyonder's old house. Pretty sure he did the rock garden. Much improved over the dirt of '03. Clearly as lazy as me. :rofl:

hahahha, awesome!

Whoever did it definitely went all out on the rock garden theme.

benyl
06-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Damn, the skinny dude in the photo swapped out my downpipe on my 2005 STi on that driveway.

How may by-laws did we break that day? On top of it not being his house, he provided a service on a car that wasn't registered to the address in question. The car was also catless after the fact (probably a broken by-law) and likely broke the DB rating from the noise.

Good times!

rage2
06-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Damn, the skinny dude in the photo swapped out my downpipe on my 2005 STi on that driveway.

How may by-laws did we break that day? On top of it not being his house, he provided a service on a car that wasn't registered to the address in question. The car was also catless after the fact (probably a broken by-law) and likely broke the DB rating from the noise.

Good times!
Kinda ironic that he didn't get bylaw'd. Maybe he was good with the neighbors.

speedog
06-18-2018, 07:40 PM
perhaps offer the service to offended neighbor. I think Calgary municipal government is trying to regulate every aspect of our life.

You sound like you could very be the next upcoming beyond tin foil hat man.

bensonchuong
06-18-2018, 10:42 PM
I gotta say, your getting pretty close. I know the guy on the corner lot but that's not me. I don't like doing mods to my cars, they're all stock.

rage2
06-18-2018, 10:49 PM
I gotta say, your getting pretty close. I know the guy on the corner lot but that's not me. I don't like doing mods to my cars, they're all stock.
Sorry I wasn’t clear, but that’s my car on the corner lot back in 2003. I wasn’t trying to be specific at all, didn’t want to “out” where you lived, was pretty random that someone brought that up. I know a couple of people on that block so I know exactly which house is yours. Anyways, we used to do all sorts of work for our cars at that house without a problem. Hell, my friend rebuilt is fire damaged subie from scratch out of that house.

Anyways I’m pretty sure I know who called bylaw on you based on process of elimination. We can take it to PM if you like.

bignerd
06-18-2018, 11:49 PM
Change the oil in your garage with the door shut?

schurchill39
06-25-2018, 06:23 AM
Anyways I’m pretty sure I know who called bylaw on you based on process of elimination. We can take it to PM if you like.

Dammit Rage, you're robbing us of the drama we so desperately need!

Xtrema
06-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread, but I have be taking pictures of all commercial vehicles parked in the neighborhood overnight and calling them in.

Tour buses, shuttles, etc. I notice the neighborhood has gone down hill since the downturn. Looks like all the unemployed Chinese engineers all turned into bus drivers or something.

I also do tire changes for my family at my place. But I do it in my garage with door closed. And that's 2x a year with 3 cars. So if OP got called out, you must be way more frequent than your neighbors likes to see.

nickyh
06-25-2018, 11:36 AM
we have a guy that lives a few doors down that I"m sure does work privately out of his garage. The number of different vehicles in and out of there can only mean one thing, but I don't GAF. As long as they are off the street quickly and don't become an eye sore, or leak oil anywhere.... Who cares.
It's not like he brings that much extra traffic to the area as we live on a cut through road.