PDA

View Full Version : What made you decide to give up daily driving a manual sports car?

NissanFanBoy
06-14-2018, 06:04 PM
For financial reasons I've been thinking about going down to one car, I'm also turning 38 and therefore getting close to 40 and I'm getting the urge to explore other vehicles that are more "age appropriate" (more on the luxury side) but still "fun"... and I've been looking at sports sedans. One thing i been thinking about is actually giving up the stick shift, I drive it in the Deerfoot parking lot every day and most days have to parallel park on a steep hill, and the stick shift is starting to feel more like an annoyance than a compliment to my daily drives, I don't think I could ever live without a manual sports car in my life but for those of you that have given it up, what made you do it?

Buster
06-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Modern automatics outperform three pedals. Plus coffee. Plus boiling on downshifts

npham
06-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Daily driving a manual if you have a shitty commute or spend a lot of time in Glenmore/Crowchild/Deerfoot traffic doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But, if it was a pure weekend or fun car, than I'm all for getting a manual. I would definitely get a manual GT3 than a PDK one, because there's no way I'm exacting the last 2-3 tenths of a second. Performance would be one of the last criteria of choosing a manual over an automatic, and vice versa.

Sorath
06-14-2018, 06:26 PM
i used to have the mentality that a sports car has to be manual. After having several Dual Clutch Transmissions over the year. I have equal amount of fun with a manual, without the woes of a manual. Maybe i am just getting old.

thinmyster
06-14-2018, 06:52 PM
Wife and kids = no manual and no sports car. In my case anyways

firebane
06-14-2018, 06:53 PM
I think some cars deserve to be driven with a stick shift like an old muscle car. But modern vehicles just doesn't make sense any more.

NissanFanBoy
06-14-2018, 07:05 PM
I think some cars deserve to be driven with a stick shift like an old muscle car. But modern vehicles just doesn't make sense any more.

Ya I used to be on a Z Facebook page and the amount of young guys on there with automatic 370z just blows my mind...

I wouldn't mind a dual clutch, I had an 06 Audi A3 before and it shifted pretty nice, but just didn't have that direct connection feel with the gears/ engine. I feel I would miss that tactile feedback... kind of like DJ controllers versus spinning real records lol which I never did actually learn, started right with Pioneer CDJs, but why beat match when youcan have it done for you?

My Z actually has synchro rev matching which makes me almost half way there to an auto anyways lol and most days I'm so grateful to have it..I wish it had hill start assist though, parallel parking back up a hill on hill is a bitch in the morning when I'm half asleep..

max_boost
06-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Dual clutch + launch control = so much fun :burnout:

But right now I'm just driving tiptronic :cry:

Also, can't be bothered with shifting. :dunno:

rx7boi
06-14-2018, 07:42 PM
I eat Mcdonalds fries while I'm driving so my one free hand is already taken :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-14-2018, 08:43 PM

tonytiger55
06-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Fanboy, have you tried borrowing a friends automatic for a week?

Im 38 and I ask myself the same question. Ive driven friends autos and it was nice. But after a while I got annoyed wanting a particular gear or it shifts up when when I want more juice out of a particular gear range.
Ive done the same thing, ive looked at other vehicles that are age appropriate. At the same time I look at my lifestyle and where I am (no kids etc). Maybe its a advantage..? :dunno:

Agreed. Some cars have to be driven in a manual.. otherwise its just like having a hot new girlfriend that just grinds her butt on you... Then she turns her head and gives you the Disney eyes.. like.. whats the point? :dunno:

NissanFanBoy
06-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Fanboy, have you tried borrowing a friends automatic for a week?

Im 38 and I ask myself the same question. Ive driven friends autos and it was nice. But after a while I got annoyed wanting a particular gear or it shifts up when when I want more juice out of a particular gear range.
Ive done the same thing, ive looked at other vehicles that are age appropriate. At the same time I look at my lifestyle and where I am (no kids etc). Maybe its a advantage..? :dunno:

Agreed. Some cars have to be driven in a manual.. otherwise its just like having a hot new girlfriend that just grinds her butt on you... Then she turns her head and gives you the Disney eyes.. like.. whats the point? :dunno:

Yes, I have a 2009 G37X coupe that only comes in auto, I bought it for the winter but lately I've found myself driving it to work sometimes and after 3 days tops I miss the manual...but the Z has zero noise insulation inside and sometimes I find it just plain loud, another sign I'm getting old lol we have nokids either, I love the feeling of being in a two seater but the noise and the sometimes hassle of a clutch is starting to get to me, especially since Nissan trannies are the furthest thing from being "slick" like Hondas

Great to hear other beyonders insights though as most of us are getting older and have already moved onto auto cars... question would be, what should I get? I'll have to start a new thread for that, fast awd sport sedan that isn't a Subaru.

rx7boi
06-14-2018, 10:07 PM
If you're moving up in the world, obvious choice would be the typical S4 or an IS/RC

NissanFanBoy
06-14-2018, 10:17 PM
If you're moving up in the world, obvious choice would be the typical S4 or an IS/RC

Ya I'm thinking S4 but worried about reliability...I like current gen Lexus IS but stillout of my price range, I've seen high 20s low 30s whereas S4s can be had for under 20 and that's kind ofmy price range. Maybe a 335xi or even a newer 328?

tonytiger55
06-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Why not Subaru..?

IS was my choice too. But price is high..
Accord is on the list as it has the Same K series engine as the Zonda. (Still comes in a manual too!)

I might go down the Subaru route. The Cross Trek is appealing as I like to fold the seats down and throw shit in the back. But it would have to be 2018 onwards as thats when they introduced a 6th gear.

Want a Beema? I considered that too, if I did I would have to go full retard and go for the M5.. then I would cry on maintence costs and look towards selling my condo.
Hell...Today I was even watching M5 Videos on youtube for shits and giggles...
V10...:drool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIP695z0pl8&t=781s

Buster
06-15-2018, 12:21 AM
that transmission in th eM5 is pretty bad, though

scboss
06-15-2018, 01:25 AM
Do you guys find you get bored when driving auto after driving standard for a long time? I went from 350z to Lexus Is350 and literally sold it for a Evo X because i was not as engaged. Found myself no paying as much attention and being complacent.

Buster
06-15-2018, 01:42 AM
bored? no.

just get the right cars.

ercchry
06-15-2018, 02:11 AM
M5 smg feels like a first gen smart car when it’s cold

Wife not wanting to drive a manual is a plus

My old ass father still daily drives his standard G37

Modern standards have hill assist

Yes I have a sports sedan... in manual

You can’t clutch kick a dct

The end

dj_rice
06-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Driving in rush hour traffic on Henday everyday. Was getting tiring shifting every 5 secs when it got gridlocked.

rage2
06-15-2018, 08:22 AM
I converted nearly 20 years ago, in my mid 20's, while we had a racetrack right in the middle of the city. This was before the days of SMGs, PDKs, and MCTs, or even paddles for shifting where automatics didn't rev match, and sapped more power from the engine than a manual transmission (lockup torque converter helped). Everyone on beyond ridiculed me back in the day for going automatic.

I struggled with shifting with the left/right (or right/left in some cars) on the center console shifter, when to shift during hard braking, and when to rely on the transmission doing it's own shifting. Eventually figured out workarounds, and the automatic became my secret weapon of consistency on the road course and autox courses for me. Bonus was my commute to downtown was 100x more pleasant, remember this was decades ago, when Crowchild had no bridges, and every intersection was a traffic light. On a bad summer day with an accident, it would take nearly an hour to drive from Crowfoot to downtown in bumper to bumper traffic the entire way.

Eventually, SMG's came out. That was great, fast shifting, no power loss like a traditional automatic, but clunky as hell. Then dual clutches came along and improved the (slow) driving experience. Now, automatics with a wet clutch (MCT) and hell even the old traditional torque converter gearboxes are so good that there's almost no power loss compared to a manual. I like to think of myself as a pioneer, going full auto before these advances. :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-15-2018, 08:28 AM
I haven’t given up manual yet but I have given up on daily driving sports cars and modified cars because they are just a hassle reliability wise sometimes and take a lot of effort to take care of properly. That being said if I could justify a DSG Golf GTi or Golf R to daily drive I would probably switch over.

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Ditched the STi with heavy clutch, bought an S2000 as a summer toy, and picked up a DSG GTI lease to DD. Made my commute so much more pleasant, and the wife is happy about having a year round car that's reliable and comfortable.

Some days, I'll still take the S2000 instead of the GTI, but I no longer work downtown, so my commute is 15 minutes, and traffic doesn't affect it.

CLiVE
06-15-2018, 08:47 AM
My 2 daily drivers are autos, and the weekend cars 2 out of 3 are manuals. However I did struggle this morning with my coffee and manual transmission though. lol.

mzdspd
06-15-2018, 09:02 AM
I would love to have a RWD manual car for a weekend toy.. But for now with a condo and limited parking.. Makes more sense for wife and I to just have one fun car (her DD) we can both enjoy.. So auto (DSG) just makes more sense for city driving.

austic
06-15-2018, 09:09 AM
For me it was they just stopped being available. When I switched from BMW to Benz I lost the third pedal. I would love to go back to BMW but the M cars being RWD its not practical for me so RIP third pedal.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys find you get bored when driving auto after driving standard for a long time? I went from 350z to Lexus Is350 and literally sold it for a Evo X because i was not as engaged. Found myself no paying as much attention and being complacent.

IS 350 is a very boring car in all honesty, even if it wasnt auto.

JustinL
06-15-2018, 09:15 AM
I daily drove RWD manual sports cars from 1999-2017. The one I gave up was an E46 M3 and we brought in a B8.5 S4 with the Stronic gearbox. I find the S4 quite boring compared to the M3. If my wife was more confident with a manual transmission, that's what I'd have, but having daily driver cars that only one partner likes to drive isn't the best use of garage space. I'll always have a manual summer car for just me, but I can also see adding a fun summer car for my wife that has some kind of auto box.

asp integra
06-15-2018, 09:16 AM
I just bought my first ever automatic after owning 8 manuals. I drive Glenmore everyday and it can be a real pain with a manual sometimes. If I could have 2 vehicles, the auto would be my daily driver and the manual would be the weekend/fun car.

mr2mike
06-15-2018, 09:27 AM
High performance clutch and light flywheel and you'll not want to drive in stop and go traffic.

Darkane
06-15-2018, 09:33 AM
M5 smg feels like a first gen smart car when it’s cold

Wife not wanting to drive a manual is a plus

My old ass father still daily drives his standard G37

Modern standards have hill assist

Yes I have a sports sedan... in manual

You can’t clutch kick a dct

The end

RE: Clutch kicks..

If you hold both PDK paddles on the GT3 it initiates a neutral mode. You can then "dump" the clutch.

Burnouts, moving kicks, slides, and revvvvvs.

Darkane
06-15-2018, 09:39 AM
I converted nearly 20 years ago, in my mid 20's, while we had a racetrack right in the middle of the city. This was before the days of SMGs, PDKs, and MCTs, or even paddles for shifting where automatics didn't rev match, and sapped more power from the engine than a manual transmission (lockup torque converter helped). Everyone on beyond ridiculed me back in the day for going automatic.

I struggled with shifting with the left/right (or right/left in some cars) on the center console shifter, when to shift during hard braking, and when to rely on the transmission doing it's own shifting. Eventually figured out workarounds, and the automatic became my secret weapon of consistency on the road course and autox courses for me. Bonus was my commute to downtown was 100x more pleasant, remember this was decades ago, when Crowchild had no bridges, and every intersection was a traffic light. On a bad summer day with an accident, it would take nearly an hour to drive from Crowfoot to downtown in bumper to bumper traffic the entire way.

Eventually, SMG's came out. That was great, fast shifting, no power loss like a traditional automatic, but clunky as hell. Then dual clutches came along and improved the (slow) driving experience. Now, automatics with a wet clutch (MCT) and hell even the old traditional torque converter gearboxes are so good that there's almost no power loss compared to a manual. I like to think of myself as a pioneer, going full auto before these advances. :rofl:

Traditional Auto's are getting very fast, agreed.

At the Half Mile 8 a couple weeks ago a new C7 Z06 was banging off upshifts, interesting part was a PDK GT3 was also there and I could get a good comparison. To my ear there was no difference, both machine gun quickness.

I also saw your RC-F there. Is it sold or was the wife driving it?

Mitsu3000gt
06-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Only the higher end cars seem to have the really good auto's / DSGs that are so refined and fun. A huge part of that is having lag-free paddles. A lot of the mainstream stuff still has pretty awful automatics, so it depends on the car IMO. Didn't Subaru go from that horrid 4spd auto right into a CVT? haha. I think the worst automatic transmissions I have experienced to date were a C6 Corvette Grand Sport, a ~2015 Jeep Cherokee, and the DCT in the older Ford Focus.

I went with a manual because A) it is one of the better feeling ones out there and B) the automatic option was a CVT. To date I have only over owned manuals, but that will likely change with whatever I buy next (I have said that before though...)

Hills aren't really an issue anymore because even cheap econoboxes have auto hill-hold/assist now. Zero roll-back.

I wouldn't think twice about switching to a quality DSG / Auto box if that's what my next car offers, I would prefer it in fact since it can shift faster than I will ever be able to with little or no power loss and rev-match better than I will ever be able to.

HiTempguy1
06-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Answer to OP's title, rush hour traffic on Deerfoot/Henday.

8 years ago when I was in Calgary, I had my Swift GTi that rev'd to 9k rpm with cams to make it happen. Ruined daily driving for me for a long time.

However, manual transmission is too much a part of the driving experience to give up. So I just moved so my commute wouldn't be a problem with a manual :rofl:

As with the car guy/car enthusiast differentiation, same is the auto vs manual. Auto's suck, no matter how "amazing" they are. Its like people who say electric cars are faster, and therefore better. Nobody gives a fuck, because its still an electric car.

ercchry
06-15-2018, 09:56 AM

Probably Renee... she bought an orange one

gpomp
06-15-2018, 10:06 AM
I'm back to driving manual now for about 1.5 years after having owned automatics for previous 5 years (ISF, Evo MR, GTI DSG). I don't think I can ever go back to an automatic... I always feel too disconnected, even the best dual clutches are missing something.

RX_EVOLV
06-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Drove a manual RX8 back when I was in my early 20s for a good 7 years and enjoyed every moment of it. But life caught up, like lots of inner city and rush hour driving, gf couldn't drive stick, etc, and just felt right to move onto a more 'adult' automatic car (Q50s). I did miss driving stick when I had the Q50s, but swapped it for the MK7 DSG Golf-R couple years ago and haven't looked back. Best of both worlds.

Don't think I'll ever get a manual again unless it's a weekend fun car that only I'm allowed to drive.

killramos
06-15-2018, 10:17 AM
We will be lucky if we are allowed to be in control of our own cars in 20 years let alone change gears in them lol.

Jlude
06-15-2018, 10:42 AM
It's still fun, but DD a manual? That's crazy. Maybe it's age, but I gave it up after my first DCT and haven't looked back.

C4S
06-15-2018, 10:56 AM
I agree .. getting old .. (over 40) ... getting lazy ... kids .. wife .. bluh bluh bluh ...

But unless I have left leg cancer .... no way to give up manual ...

My next dream car will be the new 6 speed Manual Corolla Hatch sport!!!

lilmira
06-15-2018, 11:11 AM
Rush hour gridlock, that's it.

cam_wmh
06-15-2018, 11:13 AM
From my days in my first car (an automatic that I had no choice over) commuting from the deep south to Uni, I hated being bumper to bumper. Since then, I live near d/t, and my d/t employer covers parking. Thus, I have a manual. Nothing crazy, just a Golf R. (a few manuals before then too). Having driven many exotics, in automatic, they still left me wanting a manual. I felt it was easy to get complacent, in not using the paddles. Then when you wanted the car to really move, you'd forget to flip a paddle.

I prefer the engagement, especially in mid-winter snowboard trips across BC. I think if I lived south of Heritage, north of Shag, or west of Sarcee I may be pushed to change. For now, it's just more fun.

Darkane
06-15-2018, 11:20 AM

I see. Yeah it had exhaust, don’t recall if Rage’s did.

scboss
06-15-2018, 11:27 AM
IS 350 is a very boring car in all honesty, even if it wasnt auto.

Yeah I agree 100% lol the 09 was legit a Corolla with a better exterior. I actually really wanted a benz but nothing in awd came in manual.

Looking back I am so happy I didn't get a MR because the transmission is a ticking time bomb and it felt weird shifting while turning. I think only car I'd give up manual for is a gtr but even that would be tough

rage2
06-15-2018, 11:34 AM

I see. Yeah it had exhaust, don’t recall if Rage’s did.
Yes sold my car. This one was Renee's, and no, she's not my wife. Although oddly enough my ex wife was a Renee, but not this one. :rofl:

NissanFanBoy
06-15-2018, 11:45 AM
I woke up really grumpy yesterday and made this thread.. this morning I wokeup feeling great and had a blast driving to work hitting every shift like I was professional race car driver, parallel parked back up hill no problem whereas as yesterday I got really mad cuz it took forever to get into theone tight spot that was left and almost stalling and I gave up and said fuck manuals and wentand parked in a nice and flat two hour zone.. I feel as I get older the grumpy old man feelings will become more common lol sometimes clutch control and rev matching is such a hassle when you're tired and takestoo much concentration in this car to drive smoothly maybe if I went to an Accord 6/6 with their "slick" trannies I might enjoyit more consistently...

rage2
06-15-2018, 12:06 PM
this morning I wokeup feeling great and had a blast driving to work hitting every shift like I was professional race car driver
That's a lie. Professional race car drivers don't drive antiquated manual transmissions anymore. :rofl:

NissanFanBoy
06-15-2018, 12:24 PM
That's a lie. Professional race car drivers don't drive antiquated manual transmissions anymore. :rofl:

Lol I guess they don't have trouble parallel parking either... how are those new fancy self parking cars by the way? Asking for a friend...I think that's what I really need actually haha

rage2
06-15-2018, 12:33 PM
Lol I guess they don't have trouble parallel parking either... how are those new fancy self parking cars by the way? Asking for a friend...I think that's what I really need actually haha
Not really new, we've had it on our cars for 5 years now. They just park itself, works well. I don't really use except for really tight spaces, as I'm the greatest parallel parking champion of all time. Mibz can vouch.

dirtsniffer
06-15-2018, 10:08 PM
I bought a truck because we wanted a trailer. And I didn't fit in with the DT commuting crowd.

Likely I will have an accord with a 6 speed in 3-4 years as my 'sunday driver'

Hallowed_point
06-15-2018, 11:36 PM
I quite like the DSG in my brothers MK7 GTi. Manuals are a blast on the highway and during non peak times, but lugging around clutch in / clutch out 1-2 shift for 30+ minutes in rush hour gets old. I think when the 6/6 gets retired , it may be my last manual DD.

Tik-Tok
06-15-2018, 11:39 PM
I needed a vehicle that could tow. Thats it. Not a difficult decision after years of no track though.

ercchry
06-15-2018, 11:42 PM
When your manual revs past 9k you don’t have to shift much in rush hour :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-16-2018, 12:13 AM

SKR
06-16-2018, 01:31 AM
When your manual revs past 9k you don’t have to shift much in rush hour :rofl:

I did that once in my ZL1. I was tired of shifting so I gave up and let it scream at 5500rpm in first gear. I was the douche of the century.

ShermanEF9
06-16-2018, 01:18 PM
I wanted a truck, and I wanted new. Found what I wanted and that was that. I don't miss it. I have toys for the weekends.

shakalaka
06-16-2018, 01:41 PM
I didn't really want to give up a manual. Used to love driving my 350Z and standard is what made it extra fun. I just kinda grew bored of that car and when the time came to change I wanted to get into a luxury brand so ended up going to Benz. They didn't come in standard. I do miss a manual car every now and then though, in fact tried hard to find a manual truck this time around but didn't work out.

03ozwhip
06-16-2018, 02:10 PM
How many of you actually have the auto/paddle shifter combo and actually use the paddles?

Buster
06-16-2018, 02:12 PM
How many of you actually have the auto/paddle shifter combo and actually use the paddles?

Both of my main cars have dual clutch transmissions and I shift both of them manually 90 percent of the time.

lilmira
06-16-2018, 02:43 PM
I had two cars with dsg and now I have the ZF 8spd. I use the paddles all the time. I like to hold gear and downshift just like driving a stick, also shiftfarts and off throttle burbles whenever I get the chance.

rage2
06-16-2018, 04:33 PM
I use the paddles all the time. Even when I use launch control once it launches it goes into auto mode I’ll press the button to put it back into M before it hits 2nd gear.

Downshift, you gotta use paddles to shift fart, as previously mentioned.

killramos
06-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Use paddles at least 50% of the time. When I want to be obnoxious. So much fun.

shakalaka
06-16-2018, 05:13 PM
I feel like if I ever use paddles I am automatically driving way more aggressive than you should be on the regular. So 90%+ I don’t use the paddles.

bjstare
06-16-2018, 05:33 PM
I don't spend much time in rush hour anymore, but I noticed I was getting tired of a manual when I was leaving the golf course haha (which is 2-4 times a week). Made sure to replace it with either a DSG or a good auto... found the right auto, shifts hard enough on 1-2 to break the tires loose. Definitely still fun.

Also, RE: using paddles, I use them at least half the time. With the exception of driving on my street. My car is really loud, and in the interest of keeping my neighbours happy I drive like a li'l bitch within a few blocks of home.

03ozwhip
06-16-2018, 05:42 PM
I feel like if I ever use paddles I am automatically driving way more aggressive than you should be on the regular. So 90%+ I don’t use the paddles.

I'm the same way. Novelty wore off after I sold my 335 with all he burbles and pops, but I think I might start again, just for some more feel. The LS430 is just a bit boring to drive lol

brucebanner
06-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Switched to auto strictly on the daily about 5 years ago. Dsg now and use the paddles a large majority of the time.

ercchry
06-16-2018, 06:50 PM
I did that once in my ZL1. I was tired of shifting so I gave up and let it scream at 5500rpm in first gear. I was the douche of the century.

Could probably getaway with the opposite in that car... just leave it in 3rd :rofl:

I'm the same way. Novelty wore off after I sold my 335 with all he burbles and pops, but I think I might start again, just for some more feel. The LS430 is just a bit boring to drive lol

Have to manually hold gears in the LS... livens it up a lot

03ozwhip
06-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Could probably getaway with the opposite in that car... just leave it in 3rd :rofl:

Have to manually hold gears in the LS... livens it up a lot

You know what, I haven't even switched it in to manual mode yet lol maybe I'll try it this week, it's usually just on cruise, I just drive it on the highway during the week.

SKR
06-16-2018, 07:30 PM

I use the tapshift quite a bit in my Duramax. In tow/haul mode and with the exhaust brake turned on, it'll decelerate down most hills but sometimes you need to manually drop a gear to get it to slow without using the brakes. I hardly ever use the brakes in town because of it.

georgemagana
06-16-2018, 11:34 PM
I'm doing it all backwards haha.

My 2 commuting vehicles are manual and my sports car has a DCT lol.

I drive pure highway to work so manual is fine. I truly HATE driving rush hour in the city and avoid it at all cost. If I had to drive daily, auto/DSG would be the way to go no doubt.

r3ccOs
06-18-2018, 09:11 AM
I'm doing it all backwards haha.

My 2 commuting vehicles are manual and my sports car has a DCT lol.

I drive pure highway to work so manual is fine. I truly HATE driving rush hour in the city and avoid it at all cost. If I had to drive daily, auto/DSG would be the way to go no doubt.

Since the god damned iPhone and touch screen, you need both hands to text and drive.

I can steer any cloverleaf with my thys

botox
06-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Sedan and manual coupe turned into van and SUV because of growing family. It's so nice being able to toss the strollers and groceries in the back of a larger vehicle vs wedging it in the trunk of a car. Still miss the manual though, might pick something up when the kids get a bit older.

ReasonOne
06-25-2018, 08:36 PM
I’m an old guy and have yet to give up the manual transmission. And I seriously doubt that will be happening any time soon. Even commuting has yet to deter me from that. No matter what, I always keep at least one car in our household with a stick, and one auto. Are there newer, more efficient and far faster automatics out there? Absolutely - but it’s just not the same. It’s a dying art, and I just enjoy rowing through the gears. It also forces you to be a little more attentive towards your own vehicle and the others around you.

I’m sure that will change when it simply becomes impossible physically or due to age - but until then, status quo. Hell, even my wife will take one of the manuals on occasion. Why? No reason, really - just a personal preference. There’s something liberating about having the luxury of choice.

SKR
06-25-2018, 09:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dyIZlL_HU0&t=51s

I want this in my truck. All the fun of throwing levers without having to have a manual.

nickyh
06-26-2018, 07:36 AM
They don't make my car in a manual :(
I do use the sport paddles quite often in my car, depending on traffic - I find my "D" mode to be too passive and "S" keeps my RPM's screaming more than I would normally shift when driving manual.

I can at least still keep my skills relevant when I drive my husbands car, his priority when getting his ride was it needed to be stick.

azian.advanced
06-30-2018, 05:20 PM
"What made you decide to give up daily driving a manual sports car?"

I haven't given up yet. I have a 2013 Scion FR-S and a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4. Both are 6spd manual.

heavyD
07-02-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm already regretting getting the manual transmission in my M2. It's not a bad manual and all but I forgot what a chore it is to drive in the city after driving a DSG for a few years.

Sugarphreak
07-05-2018, 09:31 PM

tehwegz
07-07-2018, 03:17 PM
If there's an option for DSG/DCT in a vehicle I'm interested for the future, I'll be opting for it.

a) love the way it sounds between up-shift farts, and down-shift blips
b) FAST
d) convenient e.g. tired of manual, especially at the end of an exhausting day of work/gym

Only way I'll go for a manual is if the automatic option is known to be problematic, or it's some slushbox that shifts poorly and decreases performance.

speedog
07-08-2018, 09:10 AM
"What made you decide to give up daily driving a manual sports car?"

I haven't given up yet. I have a 2013 Scion FR-S and a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4. Both are 6spd manual.

Then this thread isn't for or about you.