PDA

View Full Version : Is my engineering career over?

Hyperflux
06-16-2018, 07:10 PM
I'll try to make this as succinct as possible; I feel like I've shot myself in the foot and sabotaged myself. I graduated in May 2017 (over a year ago) with a major in mechanical engineering and minor and mechatronics from the University of Calgary with a 3.35 GPA. I also have 16 months of experience with a big EPCM firm as an engineering intern in the HVAC industry. When I graduated, I was looking for jobs for a couple months but then something happened and I got super lucky. I discovered crypto and got into the right altcoins at the right time - I basically 20x'd my initial capital. Because of that, I stopped actively looking for a job until now and I now realise this was a poor decision in hindsight. I don't have enough to be financially independent for life and retire early but I can live comfortably for a decade or so without working.

Now, I've applied to probably a hundred jobs all over Canada during the last two months and haven't had any luck. I know it looks bad that I've been out of relevant work experience for over a year after graduation but I don't know how to convince employers that I did something productive with crypto. The truth is, I got lucky and I thought I could make enough off my crypto to live off the rest of my life but I now know that I need to work and kickstart my professional career.

Anyway, I'm going to keep applying for jobs and I also got admission into comp sci and software engineering in fall (I would choose one of the two programs, it's back-up plan in case I can't find anything, plus I'm highly interested in it. It would be an additional 2-2.5 years). What would you guys do in my situation - any advice?

Edit: thanks for the advice guys, I'll take it.

Disoblige
06-16-2018, 07:44 PM
You are overreacting, especially if you only been job hunting for a couple months. A year after graduation isn't that bad, perhaps you can work a different job while you are job hunting now so you have something on there that shows how you collaborate and add value.

Get someone to look at your resume as applying for a hundred jobs doesn't mean you will get a call if you're just spitfiring them out like nothing.

Good luck.

revelations
06-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Definitely account for the time that you weren't working with the crypto end. It (in my eyes) would show initiative that you were able to gauge and take a risk at the markets.

But instead of just saying "I got lucky" make up something like 'managing a node' or 'maintaining a mining system' or programming or dev - even if you only dabbled into those a little bit. Making gains through, even a little effort, sounds better than sitting around for a year playing xbox after winning the alt coin game.

legendboy
06-16-2018, 10:10 PM
First world problem right there

CompletelyNumb
06-17-2018, 02:38 AM
I expect it will take you much, much longer to get a job with a mechanical engineering degree. Life after the recession isn't that easy.

Darkane
06-17-2018, 08:04 AM
The truth is, I got lucky and I thought I could make enough off my crypto to live off the rest of my life but I now know that I need to work and kickstart my professional career.

This just destroys me. Why would you even think that? Do you have parental or other family support? How did they not reel you back to reality? What about your friends?

I find this so impossible to comprehend.

bjstare
06-17-2018, 09:13 AM
This just destroys me. Why would you even think that? Do you have parental or other family support? How did they not reel you back to reality? What about your friends?

My guess: like most other beginner investors (I'm using the term investor incredibly loosely here), he thought luck = skill. Easy mistake to make when you have limited experience.

Op your career isn't over. Just be patient and keep your head in the game. Take whatever job you can get, use it to start networking. Don't be picky when applying. Apply to construction industry Jobs (even labour stuff), maybe you meet the right person and can work something out...worst case, it keeps you busy and makes a bit of money.

max_boost
06-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Because everyone is trying to figure their shit out and filter the legit from the BS.

Sugarphreak
06-17-2018, 09:31 PM

ercchry
06-17-2018, 10:56 PM
You’re not the only engineer in this city that’s been under employed, or unemployed for a year (or more)

It’s a tough environment out there... keep networking and applying. But in the meantime move that money into something safe and secure. Who knows? It might be enough of a return to keep your bills paid for a long time and you can focus on whatever makes you happy and not need to rely on an employer

Jlude
06-17-2018, 11:22 PM
in 2-3 years, you'll back at this time and be so much wiser, or at least you should be :)

Don't worry about things that are outside of your control. You can control your effort, and remember, Luck = Preparation meeting Opportunity, nothing more. Except in your crypto windfall. that was pure luck haha

Manhattan
06-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Talk about overreacting. You won the gamble of a lifetime right out of the gate with enough to live on for a decade and want to get dramatic about the end of your career because you haven't been looking for work in the past year. Just about every kid in school would love to be in your shoes. That being said, landing the first job is the toughest. There are plenty of kids out there who haven't found work AND carrying student loans.

Shut up and put in some work in the form of networking and job hunting. Worst case scenario you'll graduate with another degree in 2 years on a free ride essentially.

CLiVE
06-18-2018, 08:26 AM
Overreacting...I had a gap in my resume early on my my career. When asked in interviews I would respond, "Well, I've been playing a lot of golf" and they would laugh and move on to the next question. My point is; you might be better off saying you took some time off, or did some travelling vs. trying to explain the crypto world to a hiring manager.

Alternatively do some research (okay - a lot of research) and consider starting a business with your windfall.

Euro838
06-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Use your "lucky" money and start an engineering firm. You might get lucky with this and then won't have to actually do any engineering work.

pheoxs
06-18-2018, 10:38 AM
New grads always have a tough time finding an initial job. Just gotta be patient is all. 2 months is nothing. It took me about 5 months to find my first automation job and that was with a high GPA and looking actively (granted it was during a slow time). All you need to do is explain the gap in the interview but I wouldn't say 'I'm loaded and don't need to work' rather just spin it as you took a year off and travelled the world. Lots of people do that.

Engineering is always the same. New grads struggle to get their foot in the door because lets face it, we're useless. School teaches us almost no practical useful knowledge, only theoretical and learning habits. Any job is going to need to train you which is why they don't hire as many fresh grads. Once you get past that and get to the 3-5 year experience mark its like your career starts over again and companies realize your useful and its much easier to move forward after that.

Some advice for job hunting. After you've run the course with Indeed and other job boards try google maps. It may sound stupid but just search for engineering or other terms in the industry your looking for and just go area by area and read up on every single business and then see if they have any postings or a resume submission link. You may stumble across a company that needs help but isn't actively posting on job boards which means much less competition. Finding a job is a full time job in itself so treat it as such. Sign up for networking events and try to start meeting people. Go to meetup.com and find some engineering or entrepeneur meetups and just go meet people.

bjstare
06-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Use your "lucky" money and start an engineering firm. You might get lucky with this and then won't have to actually do any engineering work.

lol. Some kid with basically zero experience starting a firm in a depressed economy? That's the best possible way I can think of to piss away his crypto winnings.

Disoblige
06-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Engineering is always the same. New grads struggle to get their foot in the door because lets face it, we're useless. School teaches us almost no practical useful knowledge, only theoretical and learning habits. Any job is going to need to train you which is why they don't hire as many fresh grads. Once you get past that and get to the 3-5 year experience mark its like your career starts over again and companies realize your useful and its much easier to move forward after that.
Yeah, and don't be too picky about your first job.
I know idiots who try to haggle salary on their first engineering gig and I think wow... Just take your 60-70k and get the experience first.

killramos
06-18-2018, 10:45 AM
lol. Some kid with basically zero experience starting a firm in a depressed economy? That's the best possible way I can think of to piss away his crypto winnings.

Also EIT.

OP just try to be creative with the places you apply and you will do fine, and definitely don’t be picky. You are in a position to basically intern at min wage and be able to still survive. Leverage that to get a foot in the door and build your resume.

Go work for a startup for nothing grinding away on data and learning for example. You have an opportunity few do. Are you a UofC grad? I bet your can levereage a connection though them with an entrepreneurship partner of some kind.

schurchill39
06-18-2018, 12:41 PM
Came here expecting a story about designing a bridge using a fake degree and it collapsed. Left disappointed.

msommers
06-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Can't tell if this is a humble brag or cry for help...

ExtraSlow
06-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Can't tell if this is a humble brag or cry for help...

Usually the two are correlated.

Disoblige
06-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Usually the two are the same thing.
Fixed.

But in this case I think more inexperience than anything. Hopefully in a few years he will realize the silliness of his overreaction.

taemo
06-19-2018, 09:53 AM
but I can live comfortably for a decade or so without working.
are we talking hundred of thousands?

you could invest those and live on the returns comfortably

Kobe
06-19-2018, 09:57 AM
I was looking for jobs for a couple months but then something happened and I got super lucky. I discovered crypto and got into the right altcoins at the right time - I basically 20x'd my initial capital. Because of that, I stopped actively looking for a job until now and I now realise this was a poor decision in hindsight. I don't have enough to be financially independent for life and retire early but I can live comfortably for a decade or so without working.

- any advice?

HODL Enough said...

JRSC00LUDE
06-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Yes.

May as well kill yourself.

Darkane
06-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Troll thread. Did he even respond back??