PDA

View Full Version : Basement development - property line to close to house

nzwasp
06-16-2018, 10:14 PM
So we had a contractor come round today and have a look at our basement. As it turns out the only place where we can have a bedroom in the basement the property line is 1.17m away from the side of the house therefore according to him we cant call it a bedroom as per building code. Has anyone had this particular problem before?

ExtraSlow
06-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Most rooms in developed basements don't meet fire code for window egress anyway, so they are usually called a "craft room" or office or something. Hint hint.....

nzwasp
06-17-2018, 05:33 PM
That’s what the contractor said. Just bummed that I can’t say my house has a 4th bedroom over a 3cm difference

blairtruck
06-17-2018, 05:45 PM
go find your property pins. smash each 2 cm you need. get a new rpr showing now you are 1.21 side yard. boom bigger lot. neighbors lot just got smaller.

craigcd
06-17-2018, 06:44 PM
That’s what the contractor said. Just bummed that I can’t say my house has a 4th bedroom over a 3cm difference

Pretty sure basement bedrooms(or square footage) dont count anyway when selling. Like ExtraSlow said make it a storage room with a window to pass inspection and change it after.

Tik-Tok
06-17-2018, 09:16 PM
Pretty sure basement bedrooms(or square footage) dont count anyway when selling. Like ExtraSlow said make it a storage room with a window to pass inspection and change it after.

From what I've seen on many MLS listings, basement bedroom numbers count, but square footage doesn't. But they always call it X sq.ft "living space" in the details anyways.

craigcd
06-17-2018, 09:21 PM
From what I've seen on many MLS listings, basement bedroom numbers count, but square footage doesn't. But they always call it X sq.ft "living space" in the details anyways.

I agree.

Once its built as a "craft room" and approved, you could still list it as a bedroom if you went to sell.

J-hop
06-17-2018, 10:03 PM
I wonder if you’d be able to apply for an easement with the city?

ercchry
06-17-2018, 11:08 PM
My house’s MLS said 3+1 bedrooms... and it didn’t even have a window back then. MLS has enough disclaimers that you really can’t trust anything you see on REALTOR.ca

ExtraSlow
06-18-2018, 07:02 AM
I wonder if you’d be able to apply for an easement with the city?
Do not even consider this. All pain, zero tangible benefit.
Just make a craft room and call it a day.

s_havinga
06-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Do you have negative experiences with applying for easements ExtraSlow? I have gotten a few on various properties and never had issues. In all of my experiences, I have found the CoC Development office to be quite willing to help out.

Rarasaurus
06-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Typically the minimum setback is 1.2m. That said The City knows there are survey errors and construction errors. On real property reports they accept 1.16m sideyards and round up to 1.2m. I would assume on a basement permit they would do the same thing.

blairtruck
06-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Typically the minimum setback is 1.2m. That said The City knows there are survey errors and construction errors. On real property reports they accept 1.16m sideyards and round up to 1.2m. I would assume on a basement permit they would do the same thing.
I agree with this guy. as a surveyor. It applies for fences too. I think even if offline like 9cm they still show it as on property line

nzwasp
06-18-2018, 08:38 PM

This is good to know thanks.