PDA

View Full Version : most cost effective way to get clear polyester resin?

spikerS
06-18-2018, 04:47 PM
I have a few woodworking projects in mind, and need to source a bunch of clear resin to make them. Problem is, i am only finding small amounts for some pretty absurd prices...

was wondering if there was any places in town i could check out and buy the components by the gallon, without the premium price tag...

here is a pic of the idea i am wanting to do with the resin.
https://i2.wp.com/hoommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Awesome-Resin-Wood-Table-Project-7.jpg

blitz
06-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Eco-poxy is the cheapest (by volume) epoxy that I know of. It’s also one of the only ones that you can pour over 1” thick without causing a run away exothermic reaction.

speedog
06-18-2018, 07:22 PM
Call Industrial Plastics and Paints, they might be able to help you out.

spikerS
06-19-2018, 06:57 AM
Eco-poxy is the cheapest (by volume) epoxy that I know of. It’s also one of the only ones that you can pour over 1” thick without causing a run away exothermic reaction.

Do you know what kind of cost those run? Windsor Plywood's website isn't forthcoming with a price.

tirebob
06-19-2018, 07:04 AM
The polyester resin and wood to woodworking thing today is like neon coloured windshield wipers on a Honda Civic to custom car modding yesterday... Stop the madness!! :barf::burnout:

GT.....O?
06-19-2018, 09:26 AM
I have a few woodworking projects in mind, and need to source a bunch of clear resin to make them. Problem is, i am only finding small amounts for some pretty absurd prices...

was wondering if there was any places in town i could check out and buy the components by the gallon, without the premium price tag...

here is a pic of the idea i am wanting to do with the resin.
https://i2.wp.com/hoommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Awesome-Resin-Wood-Table-Project-7.jpg

This looks more like glass that has been custom shaped than it does resin.

Reason i say this is is why would you router/counter sink the inside edge if it was resin...

Not sure how similar your project is, but it definitely looks more like a glass inlay than resin to me.... just my $0.02.

94CoRd
06-19-2018, 09:47 AM
These guys and their Resin/Art projects always appear on my instagram feed. https://www.blackforestwood.com/ . They might be able to get you the resin you require, or point you in the right direction?

blitz
06-19-2018, 09:52 AM
These guys and their Resin/Art projects always appear on my instagram feed. https://www.blackforestwood.com/ . They might be able to get you the resin you require, or point you in the right direction?

They have all the Ecopoxy pricing on their online store. It's still expensive.

94CoRd
06-19-2018, 10:19 AM
They have all the Ecopoxy pricing on their online store. It's still expensive.

My bad. I clicked on resin, and it just said 'Contact Us'. Didn't click on Epoxy.

best of luck in your project :thumbsup:

spikerS
06-19-2018, 10:29 AM
This looks more like glass that has been custom shaped than it does resin.

Reason i say this is is why would you router/counter sink the inside edge if it was resin...

Not sure how similar your project is, but it definitely looks more like a glass inlay than resin to me.... just my $0.02.

Yeah, that one is glass. it was just to kinda give the idea of what I am looking to achieve.

blitz
06-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Yeah, that one is glass. it was just to kinda give the idea of what I am looking to achieve.

Keep in mind that if you're not using the resin as a structural component then it doesn't have to be super thick. 3/4" will be enough for most applications and will save you a ton of cash. Also, look at the different additives and pigments available as they'll play a big part in how it looks.

Look into Odies Oil to finish your projects. To get the transparency and vibrancy you'll probably want from the resin, you'll need to sand to super high grits (P2000+) and most finishes don't absorb well over P320 or so. People are having good results with Odies at P4000. I used it on the dining table I built and it's doing an amazing job.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and you'll want to use the 2:1 kits for woodworking. If you mix at 1:1 it stays slightly tacky and never hardens to the level you want.

spikerS
06-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Keep in mind that if you're not using the resin as a structural component then it doesn't have to be super thick. 3/4" will be enough for most applications and will save you a ton of cash. Also, look at the different additives and pigments available as they'll play a big part in how it looks.

Look into Odies Oil to finish your projects. To get the transparency and vibrancy you'll probably want from the resin, you'll need to sand to super high grits (P2000+) and most finishes don't absorb well over P320 or so. People are having good results with Odies at P4000. I used it on the dining table I built and it's doing an amazing job.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and you'll want to use the 2:1 kits for woodworking. If you mix at 1:1 it stays slightly tacky and never hardens to the level you want.

Thanks for the tips! I am debating on a few projects, a dining table being one of them. Mostly going to do some decorative stuff though.