PDA

View Full Version : YYC Burger Battle

CompletelyNumb
06-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Not the most prestigious of events, but I'm always game for a good burger. Has anyone bothered to check out this years offerings?

http://www.yycburgerbattle.com/

So far I've had the Bookers BBQ "Bookers Andouille Burger". Great flavour, almost no discernible level of spicy for me.

speedog
06-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Last year's third place burger, honestly how could one eat this thing without getting majorly messy?

ExtraSlow
06-18-2018, 07:21 PM
I like burgers, but I don't get the "high concept" burgers that these events often have. Simple is good imo.

Tik-Tok
06-18-2018, 07:31 PM
I like burgers, but I don't get the "high concept" burgers that these events often have. Simple is good imo.

:werd: A good burger to me is a delicious patty, and tasty bun. The toppings don't make a burger.

tcon
06-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Last year's third place burger, honestly how could one eat this thing without getting majorly messy?

I don't understand how people can eat burgers like that. If I can't take a bite from top to bottom buns then it's just more effort than it's worth.

tonytiger55
06-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Thats just fucking stupid.

How do you eat that..? How..?
How the fuck does a burger win when you can't put the dam thing in your mouth..?

ShermanEF9
06-19-2018, 06:49 PM
:werd: A good burger to me is a delicious patty, and tasty bun. The toppings don't make a burger.

100%. toppings are definitely eaters preference. its all about the patty and bun. if the patty sucks, the burger sucks. fancy lettuce isn't going to make that up.

jwslam
06-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Had this one yesterday
http://www.yycburgerbattle.com/yyc_burger_battle_contestant/Citizen_Brewing_Company/18018/MapClicked

Atmosphere of the joint: 4.5/5
Ambiance from looking outside their large windows: 2/5; looks like a dumpy area lol
Burger bun: 5/5; standard sesame bun but fried to a crisp on the inside
Bacon: 4/5; thick cut, not really smoky, cooked to the consistency of ham
Patty: 3.5/5; pretty thin, still juicy, but not dripping
Sauces: 4/5; enough for flavor and not enough to drip everywhere
Side: N/A. Not included.
Overall: 4ish/5 would try again.

They've got a bunch of craft beers on tap. Do not recommend the mac and cheese; pretty bland and definitely don't add the overcooked chicken.

Mitsu3000gt
06-20-2018, 09:49 AM
It's not even enjoyable to eat a burger that is 4X taller than a person's mouth. Never really understood the appeal personally, or how something you can't even eat properly can win an award haha.

The best burgers I've ever had have all been relatively simple, usually with some sort of unique twist added.

vengie
06-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Agreed with simple is better.

The National Clive burger is probably my favorite burger in the city.

tcon
06-22-2018, 04:25 AM
Just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwyLVUAS5Y

Also, disappointed only 1 burger on the YYC list includes blue cheese :(

spikerS
06-22-2018, 08:48 AM
I agree with AB in that video. Simple is best. I hate a burger that when I bite into it, half the toppings and condiments are trying to escape out the back, or i have rivers of grease trying to drip off my elbows.

My perfect burger:
6-8oz of good quality chuck double ground with an appropriate amount of fat that can be rendered down during cooking
a bun with a nice crisp crust, and toasted golden brown on the inside
2 slices of a garlic dill pickle sliced lengthwise
a slice of sharp old aged cheddar
1 or 2 rings of raw onion
ketchup and mustard

That right there is like heaven to me.