PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Sentra CVT whine

Tik-Tok
06-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Does anyone have one of these? I've got one as a rental almost brand new, 200 miles on it) , and it sounds like the brakes are lightly touching a rotor all the time, but it's not coming from the brakes. Is this normal? It's pretty annoying, how the fuck does Nissan sell this garbage?

Sentry
06-19-2018, 02:25 PM
The people that buy/drive CVT Sentras are for the most part girls in their 20s that are oblivious to sounds their car makes.

Tire flat for a week and about to explode? lol what noise
Engine knocking and 3L low on oil? lol what noise

Drive it til it stops.

NissanFanBoy
06-19-2018, 03:57 PM
As a Nissan fanboy I can tell you that the Sentra is a piece of shit... but no, that's not normal, I'd take it back before you get stranded somewhere.

mr2mike
06-19-2018, 04:07 PM
As a Nissan fanboy... Username checks out.

Possibly it was not inspected because it was going directly to rental company? I thought that every dealer does a mech inspection before posting a vehicle for sale.

heavyD
06-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Ha ha ha. I had a 2017 Sentra rental last month and returned it after three days to exchange it for a Hyundai Elantra. I have driven a lot of cars in my time but this Sentra was the worst car I have ever driven. Why anyone would pay good money for one of these cars is beyond me as they are 100% pure trash. It's so bad it makes an Elantra feel like a high tech luxury car in comparison. If Nissan's plan was to build the absolute worst car possible that could still manage to be deemed road worthy they deserve a gold star for nailing it.

Xtrema
06-20-2018, 08:16 AM
It's pretty annoying, how the fuck does Nissan sell this garbage?

That's why it ends up in rental fleets.

revelations
06-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Ha ha ha. I had a 2017 Sentra rental last month and returned it after three days to exchange it for a Hyundai Elantra. I have driven a lot of cars in my time but this Sentra was the worst car I have ever driven. Why anyone would pay good money for one of these cars is beyond me as they are 100% pure trash. It's so bad it makes an Elantra feel like a high tech luxury car in comparison. If Nissan's plan was to build the absolute worst car possible that could still manage to be deemed road worthy they deserve a gold star for nailing it.

LOL that must have been pretty abysmal ... in order to go through the headache of returning a rental .....

Pacman
06-20-2018, 09:13 AM
I believe CVT whine is common and normal. I have 2 subaru outbacks with the CVT and both of those whine.

ShermanEF9
06-20-2018, 09:01 PM

I would agree, except I had a Nissan Micra for a rental once. that easily beats the Sentra for shittiest vehicle produced.

The_Penguin
06-20-2018, 09:33 PM
LOL that must have been pretty abysmal ... in order to go through the headache of returning a rental .....

For a HYUNDAI!

Sentry
06-22-2018, 10:12 PM
I would agree, except I had a Nissan Micra for a rental once. that easily beats the Sentra for shittiest vehicle produced.
Mitsubishi Mirage is the worst currently produced car by FAR. Had one of those for a rental for a week while the wagon was getting insurance bodywork. Awful 3cyl and CVT for the lose.

ShermanEF9
06-24-2018, 10:57 PM
the mirage is next level awful.