PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Auto Connection, Illegal lien and towed the vehicle

93VR6
06-26-2018, 10:00 PM
The issue has been resolved and both my friend and Calgary Auto Connection are happy after having a misunderstanding.

Maxx Mazda
06-26-2018, 10:13 PM
“Oh we forgot to tell you. You owe us another $17 grand??” What the fuck kinda deal is this?

There’s definitely more to the story. Can’t wait to see how this unfolds.

roopi
06-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Did they return the car he traded in?

93VR6
06-26-2018, 10:27 PM
“Oh we forgot to tell you. You owe us another $17 grand??” What the fuck kinda deal is this?

I know the kid pretty well and I hope there isn't more to the story but with the documentation he has and has shown me it looks pretty clear Calgary Auto Connection fucked up and want more money.

Did they return the car he traded in?

The trade is was not returned, just the new car was towed from our building.

The car was purchased on March 12 2018

roopi
06-26-2018, 10:35 PM
They want another 17k? Wouldn't this put the sale price of this 2013 x5 about $52k. Seems very excessive.

relyt92
06-26-2018, 11:03 PM
There's either something huge left out of the story, or they're going to be in a world of shit.

dirtsniffer
06-26-2018, 11:06 PM
Crazy to think that the enforcement agency would take it without proper documentation.

1. Lawyer
2. Call every news station in town.

ercchry
06-26-2018, 11:18 PM
Was there an outstanding lien on the MB that they were unaware of? That’s the only way this math makes sense

93VR6
06-26-2018, 11:37 PM
Crazy to think that the enforcement agency would take it without proper documentation.

1. Lawyer
2. Call every news station in town.

We talked with the registry and asked about how you can possibly put a lien on someone else's stuff and the reply was "oh this happens all the time with couples who break up". Ridiculous...

Was there an outstanding lien on the MB that they were unaware of? That’s the only way this math makes sense

There was a lien on the MB of $2182.69 which was added to the purchase price and was paid with the bank draft.

Team_Mclaren
06-27-2018, 12:16 AM
I would bet that the lien is more than the 2xxx. or a second lien on that MB. can anyone make out the VIN on the MB? It's not hard to check

93VR6
06-27-2018, 12:32 AM
i would bet that the lien is more than the 2xxx. Or a second lien on that mb. Can anyone make out the vin on the mb? It's not hard to check

wddgf8jb5cf669691

ganesh
06-27-2018, 08:43 AM

I am with Maxx Mazda on this one .
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Lets see how this turns out

revelations
06-27-2018, 09:01 AM
OP, do you have more details on the trade in vehicle? How long did your friend have it before selling it to them?

BerserkerCatSplat
06-27-2018, 09:10 AM
As noted on /r/calgary (which has higher-resolution pics), the amount demanded ($17682.00) is the sum of the trade-in credit ($15,500) plus the trade-in lien payout ($2,182).

It's like they suddenly decided that the friend never actually traded in a vehicle and also never paid to have the lien removed. Pretty strange. Have to wonder if the trade-in car was seized from the dealer (stolen car?) and they are trying to recoup their losses. Either way, your buddy needs to lawyer up.

rage2
06-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Higher res pics here: https://imgur.com/a/OcexNaL

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Curious to see how this pans out for sure.

vengie
06-27-2018, 09:36 AM
This is wild, there definitely has to be more to this.

93VR6
06-27-2018, 09:37 AM
As noted on /r/calgary (which has higher-resolution pics), the amount demanded ($17682.00) is the sum of the trade-in credit ($15,500) plus the trade-in lien payout ($2,182).

It's like they suddenly decided that the friend never actually traded in a vehicle and also never paid to have the lien removed. Pretty strange. Have to wonder if the trade-in car was seized from the dealer (stolen car?) and they are trying to recoup their losses. Either way, your buddy needs to lawyer up.

To me it seems pretty clear that the 2182 lien was paid as it is marked on the bill of sale and paid via the bank draft. I think you are right though, something happened with the Benz after it was signed over, could be another outstanding lien against it or something else that we are not aware of.

I assume ensuring a vehicle has no lien against it is the buyers responsibility but it's probably a little more complicated than that.

https://imgur.com/a/OcexNaL Higher res photos here for those curious.

revelations
06-27-2018, 09:38 AM
A very quick VIN check from various free tools online brought up nothing of interest (CPIC, etc.). The VIN comes back to a C class Mercedes.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-27-2018, 09:46 AM
To me it seems pretty clear that the 2182 lien was paid as it is marked on the bill of sale and paid via the bank draft. I think you are right though, something happened with the Benz after it was signed over, could be another outstanding lien against it or something else that we are not aware of.

I assume ensuring a vehicle has no lien against it is the buyers responsibility but it's probably a little more complicated than that.

https://imgur.com/a/OcexNaL Higher res photos here for those curious.

Oh yeah, I think it's clear he paid off the lien according to the document, I have no idea why they suddenly seem to think he didn't.

nickyh
06-27-2018, 10:05 AM
When I sold my RAV a few months back i ran into a situation with the registry.

Vehicle was paid off 6 months after purchasing it but I never received a pay out letter from the financial company, it was noted on the registration it was a leased vehicle and since it was not my car i never really bothered to look at that.
However, when we sold the car 11 years later this became an issue. The lien check was clear but because we never provided proof to to the registry to have the special condition removed it caused an issue when the new owners were trying to get a plate. They still got in put into their name, but were warned they needed the letter for next time.

2 days later the financial company provided me a faxed letter stating they had no interest in the RAV which we passed onto the new owners.

I wonder if something similar is happening here? I thought a clean lien check meant just that, but maybe not.

revelations
06-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Note: Its unlikely the dealer would have just suddenly showed up and taken the car back. There would have been multiple forms of communication prior to this.

"Friend" is either clueless or knew something about the vehicle. Its not tough to sell a stolen vehicle in AB esp if its done quickly - but selling one to a dealer is pretty dumb.

JfuckinC
06-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Note: Its unlikely the dealer would have just suddenly showed up and taken the car back. There would have been multiple forms of communication prior to this.

"Friend" is either clueless or knew something about the vehicle. Its not tough to sell a stolen vehicle in AB esp if its done quickly - but selling one to a dealer is pretty dumb.

Vehicle 1000% wasn't stolen. This isn't some shady dude trying to pull a fast one on a dealership. He's a good guy, i know him well.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-27-2018, 10:41 AM
OK, semi-related anecdote on how fucky vehicle sales and liens can be.

This year my father decided to replace his '09 F150 with a newer one as it was getting up in miles. He was the original owner of the truck and bought it outright from the dealer, no loan. He had a few interested buyers, and one asked for a Carproof report. Figuring it would make the sale easier, my dad agreed and paid for the report, and what do you know, it came back saying the truck had a lien on it from a court judgement for the past five years. We were shocked, he'd never been in court for so much as a traffic ticket in 30 years. After some googling and court document searches, it turned out that some shady real estate developer had a massive ($400,000+) court judgement levied on him and as part of it the court placed a lien on all of his major assets, including his fleet of vehicles which contained a 2009 F150. Whoever was drawing up the court documents fucked up and swapped some VIN digits on the truck and wound up putting my dad's VIN in the judgement. It took months of calling the lawyers and other people involved in a 5-year-old case before they finally managed to fix the documents and remove the lien, and obviously my dad couldn't sell the truck that whole time.

Long story short, minor paperwork screwups can lead to serious fuckery.

dirtsniffer
06-27-2018, 10:44 AM
I'm curious why this was brought to AMVIC? if it was as simple as paperwork you'd think they could get it figured out.

revelations
06-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Vehicle 1000% wasn't stolen. This isn't some shady dude trying to pull a fast one on a dealership. He's a good guy, i know him well.

OK true, thats not always the case (stolen) - but what happened between the time the dealer found out about the vehicle and the actual repo? There would have been back and forth communication - plenty of time - before it came to this.

EDIT : from reddit thread:

Your friend hasn't shared all the details. A civil enforcement agency wouldn't just go take a car based on someones word. Chances are your friend ignored a summons to court, and subsequently lost the case by not showing up.

Calgary Auto Connection took their win, and then applied for a seizure.

JfuckinC
06-27-2018, 12:27 PM
OK true, thats not always the case (stolen) - but what happened between the time the dealer found out about the vehicle and the actual repo? There would have been back and forth communication - plenty of time - before it came to this.

There was no court summons.

It's honestly just a monumental fuck up by the dealer, who should have to take the hit? There was communication and apparently they had agreed to let Amvic decide on it as a third party. Why? I don't know, that's not the route i would take. But the dealer didn't wait for their input apparently.

If this was a private sale everyone would be saying the seller was SOL for their fuck up. What makes this situation any different?

rage2
06-27-2018, 12:47 PM
There was no court summons.

It's honestly just a monumental fuck up by the dealer, who should have to take the hit?
What was the fuck up by the dealer? Why do they have to take a hit on the Mercedes? What was wrong with the Mercedes?

Need some details here.

JfuckinC
06-27-2018, 12:52 PM
What was the fuck up by the dealer? Why do they have to take a hit on the Mercedes?

The fuck up was they were to pay the remainder of the loan, but also applied it as a trade in. They knew there was money remaining on the Mercedes, hence the payment of the remaining $2,XXX of the money owed which they weren't covering. Apparently they got a fax from Mercedes with the lien/loan information and everything at the time of the deal being made on the X5. This guy wasn't hiding anything regarding the money owed on the Mercedes.

Edit: i meant take the hit on making a mistake, not that the Mercedes was an issue.

rage2
06-27-2018, 01:01 PM
The fuck up was they were to pay the remainder of the loan, but also applied it as a trade in. They knew there was money remaining on the Mercedes, hence the payment of the remaining $2,XXX of the money owed which they weren't covering. Apparently they got a fax from Mercedes with the lien/loan information and everything at the time of the deal being made on the X5. This guy wasn't hiding anything regarding the money owed on the Mercedes.

Edit: i meant take the hit on making a mistake, not that the Mercedes was an issue.
Gotcha, so it was a fuck up on the deal. Was it valuated wrong at $15,500? I don't see how the paperwork was fucked up or where the mistake was though.

X5 was $35,200
C350 had trade in value of $15500 (with a $2182.69 lien on it)

Was the lien higher than $2182.69? I don't see how the remainder of the loan was applied as the trade in.

Is my math that bad? haha

JfuckinC
06-27-2018, 01:07 PM
Gotcha, so it was a fuck up on the deal. Was it valuated wrong at $15,500? I don't see how the paperwork was fucked up or where the mistake was though.

X5 was $35,200
C350 had trade in value of $15500 (with a $2182.69 lien on it)

Was the lien higher than $2182.69?

Ya i think the lien was for $17,182.69, Dealership was to pay $15,500 of it, buyer paid reaming $2,182.69, then the dealer applied the $15,500 to the purchase amount as the trade in value(is this where it went wrong? i think so), bringing the final cost to $22,867.69 which he paid in full. They can't say they did't know about the lien as it's documented on the provided bill of sale.

I'm not trying to argue over the internet, i gave that up long ago. Just saying this guy is not the type to try and swindle someone like people are thinking he did. As revelations said though, lots of people would be trying that so i understand why people would come to that conclusion.

Edit: If I'm wrong because i am missing some info, i have no problem admitting that when the time comes. But I'm not just reading peoples opinions on the internet I'm actually talking to him haha. I'll do my best to keep beyond in the loop, i hate reading these threads with no actual info/insight into the happenings.

spikerS
06-27-2018, 01:11 PM

don't need a court judgement to repo a vehicle. Back when I was a kid, i foolishly sold my old jeep to another guy I knew. Sold it to him for $9500. He got me $7k up front, and agreed to pay me the remaining $2500 within 90 days and had it all written down and signed with witnesses. He didn't pay up, and ignored my calls. At the 120 day mark, i registered the lien on it, and then had a civil enforcement agency go repo it. They brought it to my house, and put it right into the garage. Few days later he came up with the cash and so I gave it back to him.

Things may have changed now, but that's how it worked out for me.

ExtraSlow
06-27-2018, 01:11 PM
So how did your buddy not figure out the dealership was giving him $15k too good of a deal?

spikerS
06-27-2018, 01:19 PM
So how did your buddy not figure out the dealership was giving him $15k too good of a deal?

I don't know if I am reading this right...

but from what I am reading, it sounds like this was all above board, and I am failing to see where there was a mistake somewhere...unless the X5 was supposed to be $50k?

rage2
06-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Ya i think the lien was for $17,182.69, Dealership was to pay $15,500 of it, buyer paid reaming $2,182.69, then the dealer applied the $15,500 to the purchase amount as the trade in value(is this where it went wrong? i think so), bringing the final cost to $22,867.69 which he paid in full. They can't say they did't know about the lien as it's documented on the provided bill of sale.

I'm not trying to argue over the internet, i gave that up long ago. Just saying this guy is not the type to try and swindle someone like people are thinking he did. As revelations said though, lots of people would be trying that so i understand why people would come to that conclusion.

Edit: If I'm wrong because i am missing some info, i have no problem admitting that when the time comes. But I'm not just reading peoples opinions on the internet I'm actually talking to him haha. I'll do my best to keep beyond in the loop, i hate reading these threads with no actual info/insight into the happenings.
Oh lol. So yea, that's a monumental bad marth fuck up by the dealer. So the C350 was completely underwater (worth 15k, owed 17k), and really the "Lien Payout on Trade-In" line should have been $17,682.69 and not $2,182.69. OK this makes WAY more sense.

Does it matter? From the sounds of it, he gave the dealer all the info and they fucked it up royally. Makes total sense why they wanted AMVIC to make a judgement on this as it's a huge error that somehow nobody caught.

The confusing part was this:

There was a lien on the MB of $2182.69 which was added to the purchase price and was paid with the bank draft.
It doesn't sound like the lien was that little.

ganesh
06-27-2018, 01:22 PM
So he is a straight up guy who noticed that the dealer ship was making a 15K mistake and didn't say a word.
I got it now.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-27-2018, 01:23 PM

I mean, I bet he knew and drove away with a big grin on his face, just like I would have. Dealership wrote the agreement, dealer signed off on it, dealer fucked up baaaaad. Can't imagine the seller would be held culpable by AMVIC or a court. Time for mandatory marth lessons for dealership employees.

HiTempguy1
06-27-2018, 01:25 PM
don't need a court judgement to repo a vehicle.

Repo's are basically the wildwest, people saying there needs to be all sorts of shit done, LOL.

s2k_boi
06-27-2018, 01:25 PM
I mean, I bet he knew and drove away with a big grin on his face, just like I would have. Dealership wrote the agreement, dealer signed off on it, dealer fucked up baaaaad. Can't imagine the seller would be held culpable by AMVIC. Time for mandatory marth lessons for employees.

lol... he totally did drive away knowing that there was a $15k error. This makes so much more sense knowing that the Mercedes was underwater to begin with.

TomcoPDR
06-27-2018, 01:26 PM
+1. What you typed out makes sense to me. (For info you’re getting). Don’t get discourage.

rage2
06-27-2018, 01:28 PM
I'm actually surprised the dealership took in an underwater trade-in on a cash deal. That makes absolutely zero sense for a dealer to do anything like that. Only time they'd do that is to roll that money on a new loan to make more money.

JfuckinC
06-27-2018, 01:29 PM
I mean, I bet he knew and drove away with a big grin on his face, just like I would have. Dealership wrote the agreement, dealer signed off on it, dealer fucked up baaaaad. Can't imagine the seller would be held culpable by AMVIC or a court. Time for mandatory marth lessons for dealership employees.

lol... he totally did drive away knowing that there was a $15k error. This makes so much more sense knowing that the Mercedes was underwater to begin with.

But to me it makes sense to still subtract that as the trade in? i wouldn't know any better that it was a fuck up. the bill of sale makes complete sense when i look at it.

s2k_boi
06-27-2018, 01:31 PM
But to me it makes sense to still subtract that as the trade in? i wouldn't know any better that it was a fuck up. the bill of sale makes complete sense when i look at it.

It does make sense to subtract it BUT the full value of the lien should've been inputted into the bill of sale too. Totally bad math and someone probably should've caught it.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-27-2018, 01:33 PM

$15,500 should have been subtracted as trade-in value but an equal amount should have been added to the lien payout cost, assuming the dealer paid the outstanding value of the loan ($17,682) as part of the trade-in deal.

JfuckinC
06-27-2018, 01:41 PM
It does make sense to subtract it BUT the full value of the lien should've been inputted into the bill of sale too. Totally bad math and someone probably should've caught it.

$15,500 should have been subtracted as trade-in value but an equal amount should have been added to the lien payout cost, assuming the dealer paid the outstanding value of the loan ($17,682) as part of the trade-in deal.

i guess that is so, but having it as the $2,182.69, still looks right because that is the "Lien Payout on Trade in" being paid by him at the time of sale. I legitimately wouldn't have even thought twice about that if you guys didn't bring it to my attention. That's me having a truly objective view on this, friendship aside lol.

never
06-27-2018, 01:42 PM
From the sounds of it, he gave the dealer all the info and they fucked it up royally.

No kidding! How does someone working at a dealer figure that someone who comes in with a trade-in that they don't own any part of (and owe more than the trade-in value), should walk out with a $15,500 trade-in discount?

npham
06-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Nothing like making an easy 15k off a dealership because they fucked up the math. Should be pretty straight forward to win, but your buddy will need to lawyer up.

s2k_boi
06-27-2018, 01:49 PM
i guess that is so, but having it as the $2,182.69, still looks right because that is the "Lien Payout on Trade in" being paid by him at the time of sale. I legitimately wouldn't have even thought twice about that if you guys didn't bring it to my attention. That's me having a truly objective view on this, friendship aside lol.

I can see where you're coming from. But the purchase price is approximately $35k for the X5 and the car is under water. So how does it make sense to only pay $22k to the dealership? Considering the trade in goes towards the lien/lender and buddy is supposed to pay the $2182.69 himself.

I agree the dealership totally screwed up and would be interested in hearing what the outcome is from AMVIC.

rage2
06-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Looking back at the last car I traded in with a financed lien, I had to sign a document stating that I'm responsible for whatever the actual lien is, regardless on what's on the sales contract. Guessing this is to cover out of date information as lien information typically gets changed daily depending on how they accrue interest?

There's also a clause in my conditions of sale contract on my recent purchase last month that outlines errors. "If there has been an error by the Dealer in any calculation of any other matter on the front side hereof or in connection with the sale of the motor vehicle described herein, the Purchaser agrees to allow the Dealer to correct the error forthwith and the correction requires any amount to be paid by one party to the other, such amount shall be paid immediately". The Marth clause. :rofl:

Question is what the contract states with your buddy, if these clauses are in place. It seems like pretty standard clauses here that every dealership would have to cover their asses.

lilmira
06-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Only if they put this type of math problems in exams.

GQBalla
06-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Dishonest.

It's like when a cashier gives you more change then you're entitled to.

ExtraSlow
06-27-2018, 02:27 PM
Okay, sure, lots of people would do that, but they wouldn't act so confused when some repercussion occurred.

Disoblige
06-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Just being a newb, but if this gets dragged out, is OP's friend going to have his credit affected as well?

HHURICANE1
06-27-2018, 02:45 PM
What's on the back of the sales contract? There is a line on the front stating the contract also includes terms and conditions on the back of the form as well. It may say something about math errors there.

schocker
06-27-2018, 02:53 PM
This was some solid Marth by the dealer and individual. Obviously not an illegal lien though.

dirtsniffer
06-27-2018, 03:04 PM
marth should be covered in the terms on the back of the contract. But considering buddy should have read them, maybe he knew they didn't.

mzdspd
06-27-2018, 03:20 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens since it looks like the buyer messed up and not the dealer.. Looks like dealers google page is taking heat over this.

ganesh
06-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Dishonest.

It's like when a cashier gives you more change then you're entitled to.

100% . I can't believe OP and others are also acting as if they didn't know anything about this.

ExtraSlow
06-27-2018, 03:30 PM
I'd try to screw the dealership too. I'd take the deal. I'd pray that they never figured out the mistake, and hope I'd get away with it.

But I'd expect the deal to get reversed somehow. People rarely get away with 15k mistakes in thier favour no matter who is at fault.

dubhead
06-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Seeing as how most dealers are out to fuck people all day everyday I would too.

rage2
06-27-2018, 03:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens since it looks like the buyer messed up and not the dealer.. Looks like dealers google page is taking heat over this.
Partial story from OP's friend to give him the benefit of the doubt, with a touch of emotional connection, and shared on social media. What else would you expect in 2018? :rofl:

rage2
06-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Looks like he deleted the original post and have come to a resolution.

So how much did he end up saving? haha

BerserkerCatSplat
06-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Well, you certainly can't say the social media effort didn't spur a resolution of some kind.

rage2
06-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Well, you certainly can't say the social media effort didn't spur a resolution of some kind.
Yea, I'm curious of what the sales contract looked like. I mean if I was in the dealer's shoes and had provisions to protect this from happening, I would've flipped the script all over social media and made the buyer the bad guy. Of course, I don't like getting fucked with, so glad to see Calgary Auto Connection take the high road on a private resolution.

colinxx235
06-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Seeing as how most dealers are out to fuck people all day everyday I would too.

It is quite ironic on Beyond how many guys jump all over a buyer for being an idiot, not doing diligence, poor marth that locks them into a terrible finance situation. Which is essentially how so many of these car shops make money, preying on uneducated people. But when they fuck up its now jumping on the buyer again for being shady or not being forthcoming on an error benefiting them :rofl:

Either way this situation is hilarious and very interested on the final outcome/what clauses in the contract the dealer had to protect and enact on vehicle repo.

93VR6
06-27-2018, 04:23 PM
Well I guess that's all dealt with, I thought I had all the information which wasn't the case and for that I apologize for letting it get this far.

Can I edit this post to remove the misinformation or just can a mod just delete the thread entirely, don't need to have this bad press out there for the dealer.

J.M.
06-27-2018, 04:41 PM
^
:rofl:

nytrydr89
06-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Yea, I'm curious of what the sales contract looked like. I mean if I was in the dealer's shoes and had provisions to protect this from happening, I would've flipped the script all over social media and made the buyer the bad guy. Of course, I don't like getting fucked with, so glad to see Calgary Auto Connection take the high road on a private resolution.

Your exactly right. Rather than do that they took a more professional private approach and settled outside of social media. I know the owner of Calgary Auto Connection hes a well respected person and has been doing straight up business for years. I also know they have been trying to settle this matter with the buyer for several months since the purchase and hes been avoiding the situation coming up with a different excuse as to why he couldn't come in and settle up. Thats the only reason the X5 was repo'd. The dealer had to do something extreme to get the buyers attention. Clearly it worked.

He knew from the get go an error was made. The error being the lien amount was incorrect. The buyer is a manager at an RBC!!! He knows the math didnt make sense and thought he would get away the $15k mistake. Its too bad before this blew out of proportion before the second side of the story was told.

Buster
06-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Well I guess that's all dealt with, I thought I had all the information which wasn't the case and for that I apologize for letting it get this far.

Can I edit this post to remove the misinformation or just can a mod just delete the thread entirely, don't need to have this bad press out there for the dealer.

I'm pretty sure that's not how things work around here. haha

For the record: I would have flipped the X5 the next day to clear the decks. haha

bjstare
06-27-2018, 05:20 PM
The buyer is a manager at an RBC!!! He knows the math didnt make sense and thought he would get away the $15k mistake.

Yet he somehow ends up underwater on a $15k car loan. Classic.

nytrydr89
06-27-2018, 05:31 PM
Yet he somehow ends up underwater on a $15k car loan. Classic.

In all fairness he wasnt upside down $15k. He was upside down what appears to have been $2700ish. They paid $15000ish for the trade and he owned $17700ish. I just love the ignorant people who read into one side of a story and make a judgement call. All the bad reviews on google/facebook/etc were unnecessary. Clearly the guy was in the wrong. He deleted his initial post and basically posted an indirect well thought out apology without actually saying "Sorry." The original post being deleted is a tell. Basically made false allegations and is going back on them.

bjstare
06-27-2018, 05:38 PM
I didn't say he was upside down by $15k.

Perhaps I should word it differently. He was underwater on a $15k car. I was poking fun at the fact you said he's good at math since he works at an RBC... which is ironic because if he's actually good at math, he'd want to pay down the loan faster than the car is depreciating. :rofl:

rage2
06-27-2018, 05:39 PM
It is quite ironic on Beyond how many guys jump all over a buyer for being an idiot, not doing diligence, poor marth that locks them into a terrible finance situation. Which is essentially how so many of these car shops make money, preying on uneducated people. But when they fuck up its now jumping on the buyer again for being shady or not being forthcoming on an error benefiting them :rofl:
You’re just nit picking. Most of us saw the story as incomplete and just wanted to know what happened.

You can edit the post or PM me to delete the thread or edit the title since you’re the thread starter. Although I don’t see this as bad press for the dealer. They handled it well, better than I would if I was the owner. If anything, it’s good press for them.

For the record: I would have flipped the X5 the next day to clear the decks. haha
Ditto. But it all depends on the sales contract. I’m fairly sure the terms protected them from this mistake anyways, in which case I would be liable regardless.

JfuckinC
06-27-2018, 05:52 PM
I'm curious to find out what the story of the resolution is for sure.

All the bad reviews etc are crazy, cause most of those people don't even know the person involved, they just jump on the band(bash?)wagon. I didn't target the dealer at anytime(other then pointing out the massive mistake) because i too wanted to know more.

The fact is, i stick by that he is a good guy. I'm sure they were both just looking for a fair resolution, too bad they both had to do such drastic things to reach it.

ercchry
06-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Do I get a cookie for calling this on page one? :rofl:

The financial detective BS I deal with daily... I tell ya...

ExtraSlow
06-27-2018, 07:31 PM
Do I get a cookie for calling this on page one? :rofl:

The financial detective BS I deal with daily... I tell ya...

I award you one cookie and half a pint of beer.

schurchill39
06-27-2018, 10:33 PM
Your exactly right. Rather than do that they took a more professional private approach and settled outside of social media. I know the owner of Calgary Auto Connection hes a well respected person and has been doing straight up business for years. I also know they have been trying to settle this matter with the buyer for several months since the purchase and hes been avoiding the situation coming up with a different excuse as to why he couldn't come in and settle up. Thats the only reason the X5 was repo'd. The dealer had to do something extreme to get the buyers attention. Clearly it worked.

He knew from the get go an error was made. The error being the lien amount was incorrect. The buyer is a manager at an RBC!!! He knows the math didnt make sense and thought he would get away the $15k mistake. Its too bad before this blew out of proportion before the second side of the story was told.

This was the part of the story I think was missing and what we all expected when people were saying "the truth is obviously somewhere in the middle"

pf0sh0
06-28-2018, 07:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not how things work around here. haha

+1

J-hop
06-28-2018, 07:59 AM
Such a weird situation. Assuming both were ignorant of the error until after if I was the buyer and had the dealer come back like that I would have just returned the vehicle and asked for a full refund. Why so much energy wasted and screwing around trying force the dealer to eat the cost for a freaking X5???

rage2
06-28-2018, 08:09 AM
I didn't say he was upside down by $15k.

Perhaps I should word it differently. He was underwater on a $15k car. I was poking fun at the fact you said he's good at math since he works at an RBC... which is ironic because if he's actually good at math, he'd want to pay down the loan faster than the car is depreciating. :rofl:
Unless he locked in such a good rate on a secured loan on a used car that he can earn more money than he pays interest?

J-hop
06-28-2018, 08:19 AM
Unless he locked in such a good rate on a secured loan on a used car that he can earn more money than he pays interest?

Can you even get secured loans on older vehicles like that? I know for a fact TD would not for a vehicle like that.

ercchry
06-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Can you even get secured loans on older vehicles like that? I know for a fact TD would not for a vehicle like that.

Probably not from a bank... it there are lenders willing to lend on basically anything... hell, you can even get 50-80% of the value of your private placement shares. The rate isn’t even that bad! :rofl:

J-hop
06-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Probably not from a bank... it there are lenders willing to lend on basically anything... hell, you can even get 50-80% of the value of your private placement shares. The rate isn’t even that bad! :rofl:

Yea no doubt. I inquired about one to see what all the fuss was about. I think TDs cut off age for a secured loan was 2 years and the unsecured rates were moronically high (I think 7% was what I was quoted). Some people love throwing money out the window

HiTempguy1
06-28-2018, 09:54 AM

What year was the X5? Original post is gone.

Servus was offering 3.5% loans on used cars over 3 years old last year. Also applied to a variety of other things, like trailers and what not. So totally doable depending on the year, don't think that offer is available anymore but you never know.

ercchry
06-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Yea no doubt. I inquired about one to see what all the fuss was about. I think TDs cut off age for a secured loan was 2 years and the unsecured rates were moronically high (I think 7% was what I was quoted). Some people love throwing money out the window

You have to look at the full picture when it comes to lending... is 7% stupid? If you’re a clean A client with a high net worth... maybe

But 7% on a 3 year car vs 0.9% on something fresh off the lot. Who has the lowest cost of ownership?

It’s like people that get upset that they’re best mortgage rate is 4.50% cause the Jones’s got 3.29%!

Yeah! And the Jones’s paid $50k in taxes last year... while Mr. 4.50% wrote everything down and paid close to zero... who is actually winning?

Rates are meaningless without context

J-hop
06-28-2018, 10:03 AM
You have to look at the full picture when it comes to lending... is 7% stupid? If you’re a clean A client with a high net worth... maybe

But 7% on a 3 year car vs 0.9% on something fresh off the lot. Who has the lowest cost of ownership?

It’s like people that get upset that they’re best mortgage rate is 4.50% cause the Jones’s got 3.29%!

Yeah! And the Jones’s paid $50k in taxes last year... while Mr. 4.50% wrote everything down and paid close to zero... who is actually winning?

Completely agree, context absolutely matters. But so many people make stupid decisions and may end up paying almost as much for a 3 year old car at a high finance rate than they would a brand new one with low finance rates.

roopi
06-28-2018, 10:31 AM
What year was the X5? Original post is gone.

max_boost
06-28-2018, 11:08 AM
The issue has been resolved and both my friend and Calgary Auto Connection are happy after having a misunderstanding.

haha right

Rocket1k78
06-28-2018, 11:44 AM

Agreed lol This is such a messed up situation and after being taken advantage of with car purchases in the past im not sure i would be trying to point out the dealers mistake either.

gpomp
06-28-2018, 01:20 PM

Not before tanking Calgary Auto Connection's Google reviews... :facepalm:

revelations
06-28-2018, 01:43 PM
So a summary:

Buyer trades in old vehicle with (knowing full well it had)a lien that was processed incorrectly by the dealer.

Buyer works in the financial industry and very likely knew about the mistake the moment he walks out the door.

Buyer then ignores all communication from the dealer regarding this matter.

Dealer, after exhausting their legitimate routes of complaints, seizes the vehicle.

Buyer, then whines and complains about an "illegal" action taken in part by the dealer.

Dealer gets shit on in social media and review.

Buyer realizes they fucked up and somewhat owned up to their actions.

Dealer still manages to make things work out.

Disoblige
06-28-2018, 01:52 PM
So a summary:

Buyer trades in old vehicle with (knowing full well it had)a lien that was processed incorrectly by the dealer.

Buyer works in the financial industry and very likely knew about the mistake the moment he walks out the door.

Dealer, after exhausting their legitimate routes of complaints, seizes the vehicle.

Buyer, then whines and complains about an "illegal" action taken in part by the dealer.

:werd: I bet this thread will be deleted soon because OP looks like a douche now.
Enjoy this thread while it lasts lol.

nytrydr89
06-28-2018, 01:56 PM
So a summary:

That is 100% exactly what happened.

Buster
06-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Smart enough to realize that the dealer made a mistake, but not smart enough to figure out a way to indemnify himself against recourse due to the mistake.

Rocket1k78
06-28-2018, 02:31 PM
I totally forgot he worked as a manager at RBC lol Pretty hard to play dumb in his case

Your friends happy im sure because he got his car back and ill bet some money on top but calgary auto cant be happy. You guys tried to ruin his business with some BS slander posts and now you wanna say theyre happy?!?! Do you think everyone that read your initial post is following this thread and now sees you fucked up by not telling the whole story? NO. Look at their google reviews too.

Skrilla
06-28-2018, 03:02 PM

Very spot on, this is so overlooked all the time. Well put :thumbsup:

blitz
06-28-2018, 03:53 PM
I suspect he got a way better deal by waiting and going the social media way than he would have dealing with it the first time the dealer called him.

If you make a mistake that big as a business, you better be owning some of it.

speedog
06-29-2018, 06:20 AM
I suspect he got a way better deal by waiting and going the social media way than he would have dealing with it the first time the dealer called him.

If you make a mistake that big as a business, you better be owning some of it.

You are quite correct, running a business in this social media age just adds extra challenges. As for the dude who bought the X5, it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if he came out one day to find four tires flattened with knives sticking out the side of them.

lilmira
06-29-2018, 07:06 AM
free knives!