PDA

View Full Version : What shall I buy? Used Mercedes or New Volkswagen?

Alex P
03-26-2004, 06:02 PM
I am between a used Mercedes C200 (99' - 00' model) and a totally new Volkswagen Passat.

What do you recommend to buy and why?

Thanks
Alex
----------

C4S
03-26-2004, 06:12 PM
which Passat model ?

If a 99 C230 (I think they called 230..something like that) is about $15K-20K, and new Passat will be range from $30K -$45K ....

Car to car ..New Passat is way way better car ! if someone buys a Benz ... don't buy a " C " ! it is a joke ! buy a used E .. even an older E is way better ! (well, if a C43 is a diff story .. :D )

girlRACER
03-26-2004, 06:25 PM
I love the old C-classes. It depends on what you're looking for though. The Passat has more torque and hp, and the C-Class is kinda slow but an awesome daily driver. I think you might be happier with the Passat.

Ducati
03-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Consider depreciation as a percentage of the purchase price, over the term of the loan (Unless you are as lucky as fuck and can pay cash)
Which car will provide the best utility in terms of dollars per kilometer?

I have a mathematical calculatuon where my average yearly mileage is multiplied by the term of the bankloan (all of my substance abuse problems keep me in the poorhouse so I borrow for major purchases) then add the cost of the car including all taxes, the bullshit the business office will hit you for, plus insurance for the number of years (sometimes this has to be estimated, or based upon your present rate) If you have a warranty with a deductible, multiply that figure by the number of expected claims that the average car of that type and model has, on average (Ie: VW Passat is rated "Worse than Average with a rate of three warranty claims a year at an average warranty claims figure of three a year) and multiply that figure by the number of years of warranty that the carmaker offered. Alternatively, take the figure for the expected incidence of repair and average cost per repair, in terms of the used car you will buy (C Series MBz, which also has a dismal reliability record) X the number of years that you will be financing the carloan, x the First mileage calculation divided by the number of years being financed, then multiply that figure by overall purchase and operating cost of the car times the number of years being financed, and then factor the two calculations and divide by the anticipated dollars per year anticipated to operate the car, and voila; its simple. You have your cost of operational efficiency, which is = Buy an Infinity G35 instead.

Here, maybe this simplifies it for you:

(Mx5)+[(C+T+BS+I)x5]x[(w/d)x15]x5x[(CRx5)x(Mx5)]/ (COe x 5) = Infiniti G35

Its' so simple. You do understand, right?

Khyron
03-26-2004, 07:41 PM

Its' so simple. You do understand, right? [/B]

Ahaha - nice. :D

Khyron

Alex P
03-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Ducati

Its' so simple. You do understand, right?

Yes sure!!!

Anybody else?

JordanLotoski
03-26-2004, 10:03 PM
when i was looking for cars.....the 2 u mentioned i had in mind also....i test drove the

passat
c240
a4
maxima
03 tl

and i ended up with the 04 maxima.....i say either way u cant go wrong.....good luck

ICEBERG
03-26-2004, 10:47 PM
I have noticed lot of c-class bashing on these forums. I guess everyone has a right to their opinion. I personally think you should buy a used 2002 c230 then get a pulley,chip,exhaust. I think you can find a nice one around $29K. With those mods this Supercharged car will make you have big smile on your face. Also at the end of the day you will still have 3 stars on your hood.:thumbsup:

Hakkola
03-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Not a fan of the c class, unless it's an AMG. C Coupe can be cool if you mod it...

C4S
03-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Not a fan of the c class, unless it's an AMG. C Coupe can be cool if you mod it...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: why buy the "cheap benz" ?

Agree ! benz hatch back is not that bad car, however is had been rated "The most disappointed Car" in UK for 2 yrs, and even all the domestic magazines, compare RSX, Celica .. etc to the benz hatch, and the benz hatch always came at last ..
yes ..that supercharge engine can mod .. and "rice" it .. but then .. why not get a truth RICE car ? for me, I won't even consider the benz hatch .. A class is even better .. ( but not for sale here )

Again .. Benz is a Benz .. need to have class and qulity ... :D

for $30K, can get a nice 97+ E320 ... :thumbsup:
of if you can find a good C43 .. or even a super low kms C36 .. :clap:

Weapon_R
03-27-2004, 06:23 AM
The depreciation on a Passat is terrible - consider the Benz. With a few mods this thing is supposed to go.

ICEBERG
03-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by C4S

yes ..that supercharge engine can mod .. and "rice" it .. but then .. why not get a truth RICE car ?

Can you please tell me how you got the idea by just putting a pulley,Chip and exhaust make your car a RICE? My car looks stock and have these mods, does that make me a rice? I think there is few C-Class owners here that might dissagree with that comment.

If you think putting a pulley,exhaust,chip,gears ect. on your car make you a RICE then so be it. I am RICE. :rolleyes:

hjr
03-27-2004, 04:45 PM
why not look into an older passat and take advantage of the depriciation?

personally, i have not been impressed with the quality of vw's as of late. but if you are determined to go german than i think an passat thats a year or 2 old would be best. but think about the new accord and the maxima too.

Moe Man
03-27-2004, 06:11 PM
go with the V double U

C class is boring :thumbsup:

A2VR6
03-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The depreciation on a Passat is terrible - consider the Benz. With a few mods this thing is supposed to go.

Well I dont think the depreciation is THAT bad... not like an american car or anything (ie. Cadillac )

Ducati
03-27-2004, 08:39 PM
It is very dissapointing for me to have read in Consumer Report that the overall quality of German cars has deteriorated. American vehicles are now on par with the Germans in terms of repair incidences per 1000 km. I dont know if I should be happy for the Americans or dissapointed with the Germans.

None-the-less, I concur that a used German car would be the way to go - letting someone else take the depreciation hit. Either car will do fine, and both the C model and the Passat score "Below Average" by the test reports.

And remember the math;
"(Mx5)+[(C+T+BS+I)x5]x[(w/d)x15]x5x[(CRx5)x(Mx5)]/ (COe x 5) = Infiniti G35

Hakkola
03-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by C4S
Again .. Benz is a Benz .. need to have class and qulity ... :D

for $30K, can get a nice 97+ E320 ... :thumbsup: :

That's also one of the worst Benz's you can buy in my opinion, I think it's ugly and a huge quality downfall. The E55 was nice, but in all other trim I actually think this was the ugliest Benz on the market. This generation E-class is great, as is the generation predating 96.

VWbloke
03-28-2004, 01:34 AM
I know of an awesome Jazz Blue Volkswagen 20th Anniversary GTi that's just gone up for sale. I PMed you with some details.