PDA

View Full Version : Stay Away from Jiffy Lube

soupey
07-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Coles Notes: Their techs couldn't put my engine splash shield on properly after an oil change. They decided to keep 5 screws out, left the shield holding on tabs that are meant to hold up the shield while reinstalling it. It fell off and got mangled while driving home on Stoney trail 5 days after I was there. I went back, they agreed to change the part. Today I got it put back on, they didn't order any hardware (clips and screws) to put it back the way it was. After explaining it to the owner who has never seen the car, he claims the screws are rusted and broken, and that zip ties and a random screw used to hold it up the replacement shield are an acceptable fix.

---
Longwinded version:

So, after a thread up here about Jiffy Lube offering great service to a couple beyonders...and offering a 10% beyond discount, I decided to check it out since it was close to home and a handy spot to get things done.

I drive a 2011 Audi TTs Roadster, it's basically a glorified Golf GTI/Golf R with a similar 2.0T engine. So there's nothing fancy going on under the hood.

First 2-3 times I went there to get the oil changed, the guy working there was excellent, he knew the car, knew that I wouldn't be interested/shouldn't be doing any kind of engine cleaning extras on a turbocharged car. We chatted about the tune and some other random car talk. It was a really good experience.

The last time I went there was June 19, 2018. This time, the guys were all different, the visit took SIGNIFICANTLY longer. They advertise a 15 minute oil change, generally it would take ~20 minutes in the past, this time I was there for ~40 mins. I sat patiently and figured it was just a busy day there or something. There was a heavy push for extras, window wipers, engine treatment, etc. I declined everything and just went for the routine change, mentioned the beyond discount, and after they finally finished, went on my way.

During the next week, there was some pretty crappy weather with rain and heavy winds. My car was making a little more wind noise than normal, but i knocked it up to the weather outside.

Fast forward to June 24, 2018 (5 days later). Great sunny day outside, I have the top open, driving down Stoney on my way home. All of a sudden I hear a loud grinding noise. Wondering wtf is going on. I pull over and start looking around the car to see if I hit something.

Looking under the car, the front engine splash shield was loose, the entire front end of it was dragging on the road, it was beat up to shit. There are tabs that hold it in while you put all the screws in. I pushed the tabs back into place just to get home, but it wouldn't hold, the panel had cracked after wearing down against the road, every few minutes I'd have to pull over and try to lodge it back up.

I eventually made it to Walmart, picked up some jack stands, went back home, jacked up the car...and found the issue...

all FIVE screws that are supposed to hold the front of the shield in were missing, the rest were in place. I personally don't know how some guy who takes these panels off for a living could manage to miss out on SO many mounting points when putting the car back together, I'm assuming the excessive amount of time it took for them to get me out of there was spent trying to locate the screws that were never put back into the car. The screws are held in with metal clips that go over other plastic shield parts that attach to the wheel wells, one was sheared right off one of the neighbouring panels, while the others held on and kept the shield from falling off entirely. After getting it up in the air, I got under the car and removed the whole thing and took some photos of it.

After that, it was Sunday evening, I sent a pm to the owner on Beyond. Explained the whole situation and asked him what he could do now. I waited til the next day (Monday) and then started calling Jiffy Lube, asking to talk to a owner or manager of the shop. They told me to call their other shop, which in turn told me to call the Creekside one again. I was being sent in circles. After some pushing, I finally got a call and phone number for the main guy named Kent (TopSecret on beyond).

Kent called me on his personal cell phone, I explained the situation, he said to drop off the broken skid plate and he'd look into it. He also said he "never is on beyond"...which is hard to believe considering he's replied to the other thread about Jiffy Lube and has a couple job posts up as well. So, the next day, I dropped it off with one of his workers there, the worker asked me if I had the hardware and mounts that go along with the assembly, I gave him the screws I had, and pointed out the clip that had torn off from another piece of the wheel well shield. I didn't know if it would be repaired or left alone. He had asked me if he would have to get more hardware (screws), I told him that the 5 missing screws are probably sitting somewhere in their service bay. He never looked under the car, just told me they would take care of it and give me a call once it's done. I left and kept driving the car until today...

July 7th, 2018, I dropped by an hour before Jiffy Lube closes, I waited about 20 mins to get into the service bay, and again, I was there for a good 40 minutes. During this time the same service guy said there were screws missing. I told him that I gave what I had from when I took it off, and there was one screw and clip remaining in the broken part that was left there earlier. He looked at the old shield and then disappeared for another 10 minutes. Eventually he came back and said I was good to go. I asked him specifically "how many screws are missing now". He said "only one". The only screw I figured would be missing was where the clip had torn off, so there was no physical way to attach it again without replacing all of the broken parts under the car.

Ultimately I was ok with this at that point, figured 1 screw shouldn't be a big deal....but the whole thing took WAY longer than I thought it would, granted my car has more screws than average, I know that I can pull off that shield and put it back on in minutes, and I am by no means the mechanic type. So, I jacked up the car and took a look underneath just to double check that everything was secure.

First sign of a problem. A zip tie is holding up one of the holes. Out of 5 front mounting points, 2 are missing, this is in addition to the other screw that has no way of threading in anymore. One screw was substituted with a random silver screw.

I text back Kent saying that I guess the guys didn't have any hardware ordered by the looks of it, I sent photos of the job that was done. He shot back saying that the bolt where the zip tie is holding looks like a rusted bolt. My car is a 2011 and yes there is a little surface corrosion on the screws, FAR from the point of corroding apart....but to add a little insult to that statement, the hole he was referring to where the zip tie was placed never had any screw originally, his techs just used the empty hole spot to throw a zip tie into.

We shot back and forth until he basically said he won't fix broken parts on a rusted car with broken parts... and stopped replying. I ended by saying we'll leave this up for public opinion...therefore I'm posting this here and the other standard places where people leave reviews.

<might post screenshots of the conversation here>

I'm glad I have a new splash shield ultimately, but a few extra dollars just to make sure you have the missing hardware would be great, then lying directly to me, and then placing blame on "rusted screws" was a ridiculous way to end things off, especially when it was clear that the whole problem started from their initial fuckup.

Another tidbit. I know for a fact that everything was there after getting a dogbone insert installed into the car ~4 months earlier, I had looked under the car after that to see how it looked after it was done at Concept-1. All screws were there at the time.

I'm pretty ticked off at this and hope that no beyonder (or anyone else) has to go through the same. Unfortunate that this quick lube shop went to shit so quickly for me. Guess I'll hit up the dealership for some screws and take care of it myself now...

So just a heads up, after my experience, I wouldn't ever go to this Jiffy Lube again. Kent runs two locations in the NW, I believe the other one is in Royal Oak. Even with the 10% discount, after filter, oil, taxes, etc this ends up being a $120 oil change with my car. So it's not like you're saving much by going there anyways.

SoSlowDx
07-06-2018, 09:32 AM
I've never had a bad experience at the Evanston/Creekside location, but I stopped going there a few years ago after learning how to do it myself.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-06-2018, 09:44 AM
When I took my 4Runner there, they didn't tighten the metal skidplate bolts, and I didn't notice until I was going through a drivethru, and could hear the rattling bouncing off the wall.

Had to crawl under it and tighten all the bolts up before they fell out.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-06-2018, 09:47 AM
LOL zipties to replace missing hardware they screwed up... yeah, that seems like something a Jiffy Lube would do. Pretty pathetic.

FraserB
07-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Like OP said, a splash shield isn't the end of the world, but it was handled incredibly poorly by the shop and the owner.

Hopefully topsecret replies and sets the record straight here.

G-ZUS
07-06-2018, 10:15 AM
:thumbsdow

NissanFanBoy
07-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Just because a business is owned by a Beyond member doesn't mean it's good lol... same thing in real life, just because it's a friend or family member or friends friend, doesn't mean it's good, in fact, it's usually opposite.

topsecret
07-06-2018, 10:55 AM
I'm sorry this got so out of hand, I ordered the new splash shield as well as new screws from Audi and replaced it at no charge as we were the last ones to work on the car and I took responsibility for that, as for the rusted/broken bolt I let him know that if he provided me with the hardware we would install it free of charge. I also just want to add that this convo was had past regular business hours at 10 pm last night and I didn't simply stop responding I was busy and couldn't keep texting as I was at a function. If Yogesh would like I can order the remaining hardware and install the rest of them.

soupey
07-06-2018, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry this got so out of hand, I ordered the new splash shield as well as new screws from Audi and replaced it at no charge as we were the last ones to work on the car and I took responsibility for that, as for the rusted/broken bolt I let him know that if he provided me with the hardware we would install it free of charge. I also just want to add that this convo was had past regular business hours at 10 pm last night and I didn't simply stop responding I was busy and couldn't keep texting as I was at a function. If Yogesh would like I can order the remaining hardware and install the rest of them.

You just contradicted yourself. If you did order the shield AND screws from Audi directly, why were they not installed? Why is some random silver screw in there? Why would you add that "if i provided hardware" that you just said you already ordered? The clips are ALL present either on the current panels in the car and the single one left on the broken skid plate left at your shop.

Your last text message, word for word, is:
"In the pics you sent there is one zip tied up next to where the bolt is broken we put in new hardware where needed im not repairing broken rusted parts on your car".

As far as your technician and your texts implied, there was no hardware ordered and you had refused to fix this as, according to you, you would be repairing "rusted parts" on my car.

Yes this conversation was late yesterday, but it doesn't really rectify the insinuation that my car was rusted (considering you have never personally seen the car), the zip tie being an acceptable fix, and the simple fact that your employee told me a flat lie right in front of me in person regarding how many screws were missing.

I already went ahead and ordered some replacement screws this morning after you pushed back on making this right, and like I said earlier - I'm capable of taking off the shield and replacing it now on my own, apparently more efficiently than your trained technicians are. I'm not really sure if there's a way to fix this at this point after you rejected the option of fixing it after I brought it up directly with you.

bigbadboss101
07-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Best you guys work things out privately. Quick Lube can be hit and miss like others have said. I haven't had problems with Creekside Jiffy. It's not easy to run a business these days.

Mitsu3000gt
07-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Even if there was one rusted bolt, you'd think the shop could swing the $5 or whatever to replace it given that they massively inconvenienced the customer...

The bigger problem seems to be the education given to their 'techs'.

Rocket1k78
07-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Best you guys work things out privately. Quick Lube can be hit and miss like others have said. I haven't had problems with Creekside Jiffy. It's not easy to run a business these days.

They tried that and the only reason it got to here is because it didnt work. If soupey right off the bat came on here and never gave them the chance to correct it would be a different story. I also absolutely agree its not easy running a business anymore with social media and the forums.

Even if there was one rusted bolt, you'd think the shop could swing the $5 or whatever to replace it given that they massively inconvenienced the customer...

I hate to agree with mitsu but hes right

rx7boi
07-06-2018, 12:32 PM
That sucks. That's how I broke my shield doing my own work and forgetting to put the bolts back in but I would expect a shop to know better.

To replace the shield and missing bolts is the least they can do but to draw the line at not sourcing an additional hardware bolt because it was already rusted seems a bit silly. That said, rusted splash shield bolts are fine and aren't held by massive amounts of torque so it'd be perfectly fine to use one if it already exists.

I'm more concerned about when someone thinks ziptie and a random silver bolt is a legit fix.

Like Mark said, they should have gone beyond (no pun intended) to make it right since it's a massive inconvenience for you but with their response, seems like they think it's the other way around.

noma1
07-06-2018, 12:35 PM
I have been a customer to both locations, and I refer family and friends as well. The owner could have simply told you to pound sand, instead, it sounds like he took the higher road and took responsibility of the incident and not only contacted you after hours on a personal number, but paid for a new part and ate the cost of the employees labour on re install. Absolutely the install looks like it should have been handled better, but your attempting to slander a small business owner and reputation even after he helped out above and beyond most places would. I’m confident the employee will be dealt with so this does not happen again, it’s unfortunate you were on the receiving end of this incident.

I’m unsure if this thread was to bring up a specific incident, or to go on a rant to make you feel important. You added that this lube shop offered you extras.. yes that’s their job, and that is how they stay in business by selling products and labour. It’s terrible that they didn’t remember you and your car and that you don’t want any extras, it must have been tough saying no thank you.

You should have handled this and came to a resolution in private as he already said he would provide the hardware and labour free of charge again, one lazy employee that I’m sure will be dealt with should not out weigh the entire business and owners efforts.

ganesh
07-06-2018, 12:47 PM
I have been a customer to both locations, and I refer family and friends as well. The owner could have simply told you to pound sand, instead, it sounds like he took the higher road and took responsibility of the incident and not only contacted you after hours on a personal number, but paid for a new part and ate the cost of the employees labour on re install. Absolutely the install looks like it should have been handled better, but your attempting to slander a small business owner and reputation even after he helped out above and beyond most places would. I’m confident the employee will be dealt with so this does not happen again, it’s unfortunate you were on the receiving end of this incident.

I’m unsure if this thread was to bring up a specific incident, or to go on a rant to make you feel important. You added that this lube shop offered you extras.. yes that’s their job, and that is how they stay in business by selling products and labour. It’s terrible that they didn’t remember you and your car and that you don’t want any extras, it must have been tough saying no thank you.

You should have handled this and came to a resolution in private as he already said he would provide the hardware and labour free of charge again, one lazy employee that I’m sure will be dealt with should not out weigh the entire business and owners efforts.

I agree with you.
I have taken my winter beater and my wife's previous car over there for oil change. I always had good experienced at this location. I knew a beyonder owned this location but never asked for the beyond special.
As for the employee , I am sure we all makes mistakes in our job. If any one says that they have never made a mistake in their professional life they are probably lying or just sitting their collecting a pay cheque.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-06-2018, 12:48 PM
The owner could have simply told you to pound sand

It's a sad state of customer service when somebody figures "Well, at least he didn't tell you to go fuck yourself" is some kind of big favour by the business that lost parts and broke your shit.

ate the cost of the employees labour on re install

You mean the labour he already paid for the first time when they didn't actually reinstall it correctly? Man, they just can't stop doing big favours.

ganesh
07-06-2018, 01:00 PM
It's a sad state of customer service when somebody figures "Well, at least he didn't tell you to go fuck yourself" is some kind of big favour by the business that lost parts and broke your shit.

You mean the labor he already paid for the first time when they didn't actually reinstall it correctly? Man, they just can't stop doing big favours.
Fair enough but don't you think OP should have given the owner a little bit more time before saying that he stopped communicating with him? Given that it was pretty late in the night he had the owners personal number. It is also lloks like this could have been handled in a timely manner by the business. Rather than giving the run around.

IMO this should been handled privately.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Fair enough but don't you think OP should have given the owner a little bit more time before saying that he stopped communicating with him? Given that it was pretty late in the night he had the owners personal number. It is also lloks like this could have been handled in a timely manner by the business. Rather than giving the run around.

IMO this should been handled privately.

I'm sure if Jiffy Lube had done the fix the first time with the proper hardware, this would have never seen the light of day. If you lose and break someone's parts and then nickle and dime them on the fasteners you lost, they're not going to go away happy and in the modern era they're going to complain online - especially if you're using membership of said online service to promote your business. That's pretty basic customer service. OP wasn't asking him to upgrade his car for free, he just wanted it returned to the same condition it was before Jiffy Lube put their wrenches on it.

tonytiger55
07-06-2018, 01:21 PM
This is a prime example when people don't go to the pub.

Mistakes were made.. It was handled poorly.
Owner has appologised and is attempting to correct it. The intention is there at least.

I think a lot of comunication gets missed on the phone and via posts..People get angry..emotions run high.. things escalate..

I think it best if OP and the owner sit down go for a beer.. Beer has amazing properties that allows people to settle differences..

Hell.. I invite both you guys to come to the England vs Sweden game tomorrow morning at the ship. I'l buy you both a beer (a English beer... )

Lex350
07-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Owner has appologised and is attempting to correct it. The intention is there at least.

I think a lot of comunication gets missed on the phone and via posts..People get angry..emotions run high.. things escalate..

I think it best if OP and the owner sit down go for a beer.. Beer has amazing properties that allows people to settle differences..

Hell.. I invite both you guys to come to the England vs Sweden game tomorrow morning at the ship. I'l buy you both a beer (a English beer... )

solid advice

Thrillz
07-06-2018, 01:40 PM

You mean the labour he already paid for the first time when they didn't actually reinstall it correctly? Man, they just can't stop doing big favours.

Im surprised no one has brought it up yet, but there seems to be a lot of blind trust in the complainant. As someone who deals with customers day in and day out, most try get stuff for free. Then when things don't go their way, the first side that gets to social media is deemed in the right for some reason. The customer service fallacy that the customer is always right, should be scrubbed out of history.

I agree with ganesh, this probably should have been handled privately.

rx7boi
07-06-2018, 01:40 PM
The owner could have simply told you to pound sand, instead, it sounds like he took the higher road and took responsibility of the incident caused by his shop

FTFY mate. Good for you for being just respectable enough to teach us that taking responsibility is taking the higher road and going above and beyond.

I'm sure if Jiffy Lube had done the fix the first time with the proper hardware, this would have never seen the light of day. If you lose and break someone's parts and then nickle and dime them on the fasteners you lost, they're not going to go away happy and in the modern era they're going to complain online - especially if you're using membership of said online service to promote your business. That's pretty basic customer service. OP wasn't asking him to upgrade his car for free, he just wanted it returned to the same condition it was before Jiffy Lube put their wrenches on it.

+1.

TLDR:

OP brings car in for service, completes service and goes home
Grinding noise along the way, finds that engine splash under shield has broken due to missing hardware not being reinstalled by tech
Contacts shop and owner, back and forth etc.
Car is brought back in for a 2nd time, supposedly fixed
OP goes home again, only to find it's been fixed with some bolts, a ziptie, and another random bolt.
More back and forth
OP at least now has a new splash shield so he's going to install the bolts himself

I don't know why some of you guys are finding the faults so hard to comprehend :rofl: Must feel pretty breezy up in that ivory tower when you tell OP he should have resolved this in private. You guys know that his first post about this was way back on June 24th, right?

bjstare
07-06-2018, 02:02 PM
This thread is great. This could have been solved so simply by jiffy lube employees not cutting corners (or making mistakes, w/e), then lying about it. The least the tech could have done is admitted to not having proper bolts and using zip-ties while waiting for the right hardware or something.

Just be glad it was only a splash guard and not something more that actually caused engine damage or something (not saying it's ok, just saying it could suck more). I'd never bring a car worth more than 3k to a jiffy lube.

gpomp
07-06-2018, 03:29 PM
I'm going to defend Kent here. Apparently the splash shield was already damaged when the car was brought into Jiffy Lube. Knowing that Jiffy was the last shop that touched the car, Kent didn't want to escalate the situation by telling the owner to pound sand, and instead offered to fix it for free. Also, the hardware for the splash shield was missing to begin with so they did what they could to re-attach it. Kent has basically paid to fix a previous shop's mistake out of his own pocket and is now taking all the blame for it.

NissanFanBoy
07-06-2018, 03:44 PM
The plot thickens.

noma1
07-06-2018, 03:53 PM
FTFY mate. Good for you for being just respectable enough to teach us that taking responsibility is taking the higher road and going above and beyond.

+1.

TLDR:

OP brings car in for service, completes service and goes home
Grinding noise along the way, finds that engine splash under shield has broken due to missing hardware not being reinstalled by tech
Contacts shop and owner, back and forth etc.
Car is brought back in for a 2nd time, supposedly fixed
OP goes home again, only to find it's been fixed with some bolts, a ziptie, and another random bolt.
More back and forth
OP at least now has a new splash shield so he's going to install the bolts himself

I don't know why some of you guys are finding the faults so hard to comprehend :rofl: Must feel pretty breezy up in that ivory tower when you tell OP he should have resolved this in private. You guys know that his first post about this was way back on June 24th, right?

My reading comprehension is great even from way up in my ivory tower I guess, as I’m understanding the OP said it was 5 days after the service that he noticed the issue. The front bumper looks awfully scratched and roughed up, who is to say that he didn’t cause damage and rip the cover along with clips in that time frame. That’s why I am saying he took ownership of the issue when he may not have even have been at fault, and instead tried to rectify the issue to keep the customer happy when most shops could easily have pulled that card and wiped their hands of the issue.

Now personally if I had gone that route and right after installing the new cover for you, you had said a smart remark like, how many clips are missing now? I would have ripped your free parts off the car and thrown it into the street for you to pickup and install yourself. That would be worth creating a public post and crying about it for attention.

soupey
07-06-2018, 04:18 PM
I'm going to defend Kent here. Apparently the splash shield was already damaged when the car was brought into Jiffy Lube. Knowing that Jiffy was the last shop that touched the car, Kent didn't want to escalate the situation by telling the owner to pound sand, and instead offered to fix it for free. Also, the hardware for the splash shield was missing to begin with so they did what they could to re-attach it. Kent has basically paid to fix a previous shop's mistake out of his own pocket and is now taking all the blame for it.

Uhh.

As stated before. I've taken it off within months of the last oil change. The bottom of the car may have some wear and tear but nothing was busted up, dragging on the road with a whole set of screws missing. I mean, the photo is up there, I didn't show up to their shop originally with that pictured busted up panel.

So, to reiterate. No screws were missing from the shield, there is one clip that's been missing for a long time for the front splitter, otherwise it was all still held together since day 1 of owning it.

Even if there was damage, it was mangled after FIVE screws were not placed back in on the same front end of the panel. Even if one screw was inserted on the front end, I probably would have gone home blind to the issue. Until the next rare time I looked under the car.

Lastly, I did try to resolve this privately. As mentioned several times, this started in mid June. It's now July. If I were to post screenshots of our last texts, it would reflect poorly on Kent from a communications point of view. Even if it wasn't late and he was able to reply more - he made it clear that this was not his problem because somehow it was now all due to rusted screws and existing broken parts. I made it clear in the messages that this will be up for public opinion. So here we are now.

Kent the owner hasn't even seen the car himself or the work done to it. He has texted after I wrote this up and left another review on Google. He has made assumptions based on his techs and the photos I supplied him (all here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jDCQthBbcKVqdz5n6)

I'm definitely not nickel and diming this, monetarily he still covered the splash shield, so I'm happy about that, it's the customer service aspect...it turned into a blame game ultimately once I took a closer look at the shoddy work and knew they had lied to me about what they said they had completed moments ago.

:burnout:

gretz
07-06-2018, 04:32 PM
wow... my first thoughts when reading this were

"5 days later, it comes loose?" Looking at all of the scratches under your front bumper, i'm sure there were times this splash shield saw some action... if they were never there, what was holding it up? If I painted a car and someone came back 5 days later and said "this is scratched, repaint the car... ", it would be tough to say i'd be as helpful as Topsecret has been

You also come across very close minded about everything and say things like "after explaining it to the owner who has never seen the car, he claims the screws are rusted and broken"... There is this wild concept called communication, where employees can inform supervisors/owners/managers of the condition of things they work on. Crazy, i know, but the way you word things helps me paint a picture of the type of person Kent is dealing with.

As for the ziptie holding that area up where a rusted bolt sheared (correct me when i'm wrong) and there wasn't a bolt in the first place... cut it off then if you'd rather that area unsupported because your rusted in bolt broke... or make it seem like a monumental issue.

They installed a silver bolt? Silver? Holy shit, how can you drive the car confidently knowing that hideous eyesore lurks below... If it was black, would you have complained about it?

And finally, insulting the skill of the tech's doing an oil change that you don't seem to have the ability to do yourself? You are lucky that Topsecret (Kent) treated you so well...

spikerS
07-06-2018, 04:56 PM

"5 days later, it comes loose?"

Thats the part i am having issues with too. 5 days of driving. Who is to say someone didn't bump it over a parking curb in a parking lot? Sure, Jiffy Lube may have been the last people to work on it, but who is to say this damage wasn't caused after that? I mean, this isn't a stripped oil drain plug or something...

at the end of the day, you have a new splash shield you never paid for, and the owner tried to make it right. You said yourself, you can put it on and off in a couple mins, and $5 for new hardware...you made out like a bandit here and you are still trying to complain. Dude, you came out way ahead in this, take the fucking win.

gpomp
07-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Crazy, i know, but the way you word things helps me paint a picture of the type of person Kent is dealing with.

It's a slow day at work today so I did some CSI into what kind of person the OP is. If you look at Jiffy Lube's google reviews, you can easily find the OP's review and also the 50 something other places that he's reviewed previously. Out of the 50 something reviews, roughly half of them are 1-2 stars. Bunch of random places including mechanic shops, restaurants, hotels, etc. I feel like the OP is the "difficult" customer who is impossible to please no matter what type of business he is dealing with.

soupey
07-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Well, to each their own, but if you want to get a simple oil change done and think it's acceptable to walk out with an unsecured skid plate. Cool.

The skid plate has tabs that hold it into the bumper. It's meant to make it easier to remount it when you take it off. It was held in with the tabs up front. I'm guessing with wind, rain, and bumps, it dislodged over the 5 days and came off (the tabs arent designed to hold up the plate while driving). There are 5 screws as mentioned above that hold it up normally, none were present when I looked at the car. A bump or parking curb would likely not knock out 5 screws. The shop already accepted fault for that.

Anyways, this was my experience with em. Even if they effed up, it takes two seconds to fess up to it. If they didn't have the screws they could have just said it and either ordered it (which he says he did above) or told me to source some down on my own...not tell me the job is done when it's clearly not...and tell me that there were screws ordered when it's clear as day that it's missing.

My experience is my own, perhaps I do have high expectations of what a simple oil change service entails. I'm sure most people would be annoyed if this happened to them. Take what you want from this thread, but I'll leave it at that.

gretz
07-06-2018, 06:25 PM
How did you shear off the neighbouring tab?

soupey
07-06-2018, 07:19 PM
How did you shear off the neighbouring tab?

the screws that were still holding on after the oil change were on the sides and back of the skid plate, it was just the front screws that were not put in (where the plate attaches the to the front bumper).

after the front tabs all eventually came out, the weight of the skid plate with the force of the wind while driving was all being handled by two screws holding up the plate on both sides...it effectively was like a air scoop under the car

eventually one screw was connected to the neighbouring piece snapped off while i was on the highway, and that's probably when i heard the noise from the grinding against the road.

the screw that sheared off from the other panel it was connected to took off a piece of plastic where the clip originally held on...there is no real way to put the clip back on to reconnect the pieces because of that (that part wasn't replaced with the new skid plate).

here's a photo of the screw and clip that came off with the original skid plate... there's a piece of that came off from the other plastic panel thats still inside the metal clip.

J-hop
07-06-2018, 07:43 PM
I don’t have a dog in the fight but for what it’s worth The screws holding those splash guards on corrode out so fast, I don’t have an original screw left on my Jetta.

And for terminology sake you don’t have a skid plate, it’s just a splash guard that serves no purpose other than to keep dirt and water out of the engine bay.

I would replace your splash guard with an evolution skid plate :)

soupey
07-06-2018, 07:59 PM

:rofl: go england!

i think this post made my day haha

I tried to just wait it out and get the replacement. the initial issue to begin with how the plate wasn't mounted back correctly, bunch've screws missing, etc. I was just hoping that they would get it right with the replacement. You're right, the intention to make it right was there, and I was honestly thinking this would work out just fine after he agreed to get it replaced.

After I told him the hardware doesn't look like it was ordered, and that his tech had falsely told me that all but one of the screws were in place... the conversation went south. I started getting replies blaming rust and broken bolts to justify the zip tie job and the screw that was added in...hell if all of the screws were replaced with the same consistent silver bolt i'd be happy...not substituted with a spare screw , a zip tie, or nothing at all. Prior to this, Kent was neutral and responsive by text to keep me in the loop about getting the replacement part, I had no issues with the way that went. That's also why I delayed writing anything (if anything this would have been a positive review of how they did everything right).

After the texts turned defensive over the work that was done. I just called it quits on attempting to get it fixed properly, then ordered the screws myself and posted this up. So to everyone who keeps posting that this should've been handled privately. I tried. It didn't work out, and here we are now.

Rat Fink
07-06-2018, 08:01 PM

soupey
07-06-2018, 08:02 PM
I don’t have a dog in the fight but for what it’s worth The screws holding those splash guards on corrode out so fast, I don’t have an original screw left on my Jetta.

And for terminology sake you don’t have a skid plate, it’s just a splash guard that serves no purpose other than to keep dirt and water out of the engine bay.

I would replace your splash guard with an evolution skid plate :)

haha I was calling it a splash plate after looking up the part online, but others i talked to about it including those at jiffy kept calling it a skid plate, so I figured it was just a euro term or something, good to know though.

ercchry
07-06-2018, 08:10 PM
If I owned multiple retail businesses customers would NOT get the type of personal service that Kent gives to every issue that customers have. You’d be talking to a minion, like you get if you called into any large company

I really don’t see how you can have a customer service issue with that sort of attention. It’s stampede and he was replying to you at 10pm!

soupey
07-06-2018, 08:28 PM
If I owned multiple retail businesses customers would NOT get the type of personal service that Kent gives to every issue that customers have. You’d be talking to a minion, like you get if you called into any large company

I really don’t see how you can have a customer service issue with that sort of attention. It’s stampede and he was replying to you at 10pm!

At the start, I wasn't looking to talk specifically with Kent, after sending a pm on a Sunday on beyond, I called his shops up asking to talk to someone. Eventually I got a call from him after being tossed back and forth between both places. Had I been talking to someone else in charge the same issues would have applied.

I honestly wasn't expecting a reply that late, so yeah, surprised I got anything back right after I sent the last few messages. But...all the replies were all defensive at this point. It's not like I was looking to get into an argument with the guy.

That day, Jiffy didnt finish with my car until after 8pm, I was in the bay for ~35-45 minutes for them to put the replacement splash shield in, the length of time it took made me suspicious. I drove home after, ate a late dinner, then went back into the garage, jacked the car up and took a look under. Once I saw the work that was done, I took photos under the car and sent em off (first message was at 9:18pm). I was a little ticked off being lied to and seeing the way it was done. I guess I could've waited until the next day to send the photos, but I honestly didn't even look at the time when I sent the first text.

Either way, I doubt that would have changed the outcome, and in no way would it have changed anything that happened at Jiffy leading up to the texts.

soupey
07-06-2018, 09:05 PM

"5 days later, it comes loose?" Looking at all of the scratches under your front bumper, i'm sure there were times this splash shield saw some action... if they were never there, what was holding it up? If I painted a car and someone came back 5 days later and said "this is scratched, repaint the car... ", it would be tough to say i'd be as helpful as Topsecret has been

i addressed that in another post, it was held up by tabs that are meant to hold it up while putting the screws in, they are not secure enough to hold while the car is in motion though.

You also come across very close minded about everything and say things like "after explaining it to the owner who has never seen the car, he claims the screws are rusted and broken"... There is this wild concept called communication, where employees can inform supervisors/owners/managers of the condition of things they work on. Crazy, i know, but the way you word things helps me paint a picture of the type of person Kent is dealing with.

this is understandable considering I haven't posted the actual texts that went back and forth, he was replying within minutes directly to the photos, specifically saying "I can see from the pics thay some of the bolts are rusted and broken off...."

if there was more communication between him and his workers, I think the screws would have all been ordered and ready to go with the splash shield knowing it was missing in the first place...the missing screws were discussed with his tech when I dropped off the original broken piece. hopefully that doesn't still make me appear close-minded?

As for the ziptie holding that area up where a rusted bolt sheared (correct me when i'm wrong) and there wasn't a bolt in the first place... cut it off then if you'd rather that area unsupported because your rusted in bolt broke... or make it seem like a monumental issue.

They installed a silver bolt? Silver? Holy shit, how can you drive the car confidently knowing that hideous eyesore lurks below... If it was black, would you have complained about it?

half correct?, there was no bolt there from factory, i think there are two open holes on the splash shield that do not line up with any mounting points if i remember correct, i'm not sure what the purpose of them is, maybe for drainage. He thought there was a rusted off screw in there, and used it as grounds that the car was rusted and broken prior to the oil change. if all the mounting points were replaced with screws then I would have been fine, it would have been a bonus if they were all the same.

so, it's not about the appearance, it's that there was only one bolt, 2 empty spots, 1 broken spot, and 1 zip tie.

And finally, insulting the skill of the tech's doing an oil change that you don't seem to have the ability to do yourself? You are lucky that Topsecret (Kent) treated you so well...

I've only done an oil/filter change on an older Jeep Cherokee in the past. This car is lower to the ground and much tougher to get under for me at home.I'd rather pay a shop to do it to avoid the mess and time spent doing it myself. Again, I'm no mechanic, but for me to take off that skid plate now and in the past only took ~10 minutes, so when you're at a dedicated shop space that has access to more tools and have techs that routinely do the job for a living...I would think it would take the same or less time. Also keep in mind I have been to this Jiffy in the past 2-3 times prior to this, never having any issues, with the service running around 20 minutes, granted I think the workers have changed around over time.

This time around, I went there two times and spent over 35mins each time in the service bay, once for the actual oil change and again for the replacement splash shield. both times jiffy failed to secure the splash shields correctly...so, yes, in my opinion there may be a lack of training on the technicians end.

You are right in that I am lucky he was decent enough to get the replacement part, he could have left me to "pound sand". This thread is by no means me knocking him for that, again I'm happy that I got a replacement part. It's the fact that it got to this point and required this much attention in the first place. Again, I went there for a straight forward, as advertised, oil change, which I have had in the past. there was no vindictive plan to go get a freebies out of this.

dj_rice
07-06-2018, 09:18 PM
It's a slow day at work today so I did some CSI into what kind of person the OP is. If you look at Jiffy Lube's google reviews, you can easily find the OP's review and also the 50 something other places that he's reviewed previously. Out of the 50 something reviews, roughly half of them are 1-2 stars. Bunch of random places including mechanic shops, restaurants, hotels, etc. I feel like the OP is the "difficult" customer who is impossible to please no matter what type of business he is dealing with.

I like the reviews from Mexico and the Tim Hortons one. Reminds me of Kritafo

NissanFanBoy
07-06-2018, 09:32 PM
I like the reviews from Mexico and the Tim Hortons one. Reminds me of Kritafo

Holy crap, this guy complains more than my wife lol... either that or he has been through quite a rough life as a patron at pretty much every place he's ever been including Mexico and India.

Team_Mclaren
07-07-2018, 02:08 AM

wtf, how much does a shop make on an oil change? and you expect them to be out of money and pay for other random shit on the car that "could be" originally damanged?

redblack
07-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Shops like these should really start taking photos prior to doing the work. Most dealerships do that nowadays from what I’ve seen to prevent owners claiming damage after the service is done. Big lolz at the OP’s previous reviews, he seems like a customer that needs extra care and attention.

JordanLotoski
07-07-2018, 05:34 PM

Agreed, well said, +1 for Kent @ Creekside Jiffy lube

Maxx Mazda
07-07-2018, 09:11 PM
REad some of his other reviews. Tim Hortons? Really?

Buster
07-07-2018, 09:25 PM
ya, hard to take the OP seriously.

But if you own a Jiffy Lube (or multiple), I think that dealing with the riff raff is sort of the byproduct of the business model, no?

bjstare
07-07-2018, 10:55 PM
This thread is great. This could have been solved so simply by jiffy lube employees not cutting corners (or making mistakes, w/e), then lying about it. The least the tech could have done is admitted to not having proper bolts and using zip-ties while waiting for the right hardware or something.

Just be glad it was only a splash guard and not something more that actually caused engine damage or something (not saying it's ok, just saying it could suck more). I'd never bring a car worth more than 3k to a jiffy lube.

I'd like to retract the first part of my statement. Seems like OP has too much time on his hands and too much piss in his cornflakes.

I'd still never take anything worth more than 3k to a jiffy lube though.

soupey
07-08-2018, 12:47 AM
^i agree with you on not taking anything worth a lot into an express lube place....prior to this i got all my work done at either audi or concept-1, i started going to jiffy after reading the other positive thread about it on here. it was close to home and I had a few good experiences before this bad experience. after talking to kent the first time around I was really hoping it would all get resolved after he said he would order everything up again.

I'm not sure how my previous reviews entirely unrelated to this really matter in relation to this thread. Sure, I can be a difficult/picky customer in the past, it doesn't change what happened in this case.

Ultimately, this was my experience with them, for me the facts are:

1) I went there, splash shield was not put back on appropriately, 5 screws were left out of one side that was held up with tabs in the bumper.
2) because of this, it eventually dislodged, fell out, and was too damaged to keep driving. I removed it and immediately contacted the shop.
3) owner attempted to fix the mistake, parts were ordered, lost screws were not. I delayed writing anything online until getting this all resolved, figured I could reply to the other thread when things were done to say thanks to them for fixing it.
4) replacement part was installed :thumbsup:, I was told that all of the bolts were replaced except for 1
5) I go home and figure out that I was lied to :banghead:, therefore making it two times that Jiffy did not get the shield put back on properly.
6) After bringing it up with the owner immediately after finding out (I admit, late at night), the owner jumped to concluding that my car was missing screws/rusted/broken prior to getting there and refused to fix "broken parts". That was when I started this thread.

Anyways, that's all there is to this. I'm not trying to get anything out of this, I already ordered more screws and clips to replace whatever's missing. Just the whole inconvenience of the situation that I was annoyed about. The whole purpose of the thread was to highlight what I had to go through when trying to get a simple oil change here.

If after reading all of this you feel comfortable going to jiffy and supporting the business, good for you. Considering it was recommended on this car enthusiast forum, I'm sure there are a lot of people who still value their property enough to not want shortcuts and quick hacks to be taken with their cars.

Lex350
07-08-2018, 08:57 AM
If anything this thread makes me want to support Jiffy Creekside even more than before. F'ing entitled people drive me up the wall.

gretz
07-08-2018, 09:57 AM
I would absolutely support jiffy lube... you keep adding little things that you are guessing / assuming to your story > makes you out to seem like a close minded pain in the ass to deal with and the furthest thing from a car enthusiast.

This is what really happened:
Ramen takes his car for oil change
Ramen pulls his Audi too close to the curb as his bumper damage tells the tale
Ramen backs up and brakes the sheared off bolt / pulls the rest through
Ramen takes the other 4 out
Ramen figures he can swindle one for free based on his record of being a shitty customer
Ramen uses his past history of entitlement to work the system
Ramen takes advantage of jiffy lube and stretches the story even further for unknown reason

Soups, thankyou for further solidifying that jiffy lube goes above and beyond for their customers, even if they have the “can I speak to your manager” haircut and a sob, too well thought out ever changing and evolving hypothesis

Sugarphreak
07-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Mista Bob
07-08-2018, 04:23 PM
I would absolutely support jiffy lube... you keep adding little things that you are guessing / assuming to your story > makes you out to seem like a close minded pain in the ass to deal with and the furthest thing from a car enthusiast.

This is what really happened:
Ramen takes his car for oil change
Ramen pulls his Audi too close to the curb as his bumper damage tells the tale
Ramen backs up and brakes the sheared off bolt / pulls the rest through
Ramen takes the other 4 out
Ramen figures he can swindle one for free based on his record of being a shitty customer
Ramen uses his past history of entitlement to work the system
Ramen takes advantage of jiffy lube and stretches the story even further for unknown reason

Soups, thankyou for further solidifying that jiffy lube goes above and beyond for their customers, even if they have the “can I speak to your manager” haircut and a sob, too well thought out ever changing and evolving hypothesis

Wow, what's wrong with some people in here. Whine about OP being unreasonable, then they make up their own over the top conspiracy theories as to why OP is in the wrong. Yeah, OK then....

It's very clear cut how this shop screwed up, and to make things even better they full on lied about fixing the problem. Why not right? 99.9% of people are never going to look under their vehicle.
That beyond discount must have some peoples panties all wet up in here, because there is no way in hell I'd consider, even just for a second, supporting a shop like this.

Mitsu3000gt
07-09-2018, 08:53 AM
wtf, how much does a shop make on an oil change? and you expect them to be out of money and pay for other random shit on the car that "could be" originally damanged?

If they caused me to rip off my entire plastic under shield? Yeah I would expect them to throw in a $5 bolt for the massive inconvenience and unsafe, untrained techs. It's not "random shit", it's a bolt necessary to hold on what they caused to break. It's not like he's going around the car seeing what else needs to be fixed. That would be the bare minimum IMHO. Unless they took photos of his car beforehand they need to assume it wasn't already damaged. The bolt is probably a tiny insignificant fraction of the cost of the plastic piece anyway.

Skrilla
07-09-2018, 10:27 AM
May have been more appropriate to state a title such as "Jiffy Lube Review/Concern/Issue etc.." not Stay Away from Jiffy Lube :dunno:

gretz
07-09-2018, 10:31 AM
lol... I too, much like Soupey, made up my own guessing and assumption story... which is also 100% possible.

Like the tabs working themselves loose over the course of 5 days and Soupey not being able to get them to hold at all when it came down.

They didn't lie about fixing it, they replaced all of the missing screws with what i'm assuming is the factory hardware or we would have heard all about it (except for the ziptied area that was broken off and the silver bolt [maybe the threads were stripped out and they had to go up a size?]).

It's very clear cut how close-minded sheeple can be when someone posts a 1-sided story.

I have no idea who Kent is or know anything about this Jiffy lube, looking at OPs record of being a shitty customer / difficult to deal with, I don't think any solution would have made him happy > even if they "didn't lie" and replaced everything perfectly, he would still bitch about how much time he lost lol

ercchry
07-09-2018, 10:45 AM
^^the open sesame review pretty much shows there is no winning

90_Shelby
07-09-2018, 11:33 AM
As a general inquiry related to this story. I change my own oil and I had the bolts rust and the plastic nuts wear out which held up my shield on a previous car. I eventually ordered new parts and fixed this issue which was caused by regular wear and tear and the bolts were at the point of barely holding on anymore.

If you always get your oil changed at a shop, who should pay to fix these fasteners and who’s responsibility should it be to order and replace them when they’re worn out?

Rocket1k78
07-09-2018, 11:40 AM
I had to check out op's google reviews and yeah i gotta agree this guy might be on the hard side to please lol At the end of the day though, this post is not really that out to lunch. He wasnt really asking for free random shit, he just wanted his cover replaced properly and im sure you all would too if you were in his shoes. Without proof theres no way to prove any prior damage so the responsibility is on the shop because they were the last guys to remove it and they did take responsibility. Where the problem comes is how it was repaired, they got him a new cover and instead of ordering new hardware(i think they claimed they did) they used random bolts and a zip tie to secure. I cant speak for the op but if this were me i would be livid too if i found out they used a zip tie to secure one bolt hole, the hole could be be rusted to shit but at least tell me. Op was getting this replaced because the first time they didnt supposedly secure it(they took fault which was good on the shop) so for them to do a half ass repair the second time on a new cover is pretty brutal imo. Zip ties instead of bolts is beyond amateur. I would also be willing to bet if this were just a random lube shop it would be a complete different scenario in here.

Rocket1k78
07-09-2018, 11:47 AM
If you always get your oil changed at a shop, who should pay to fix these fasteners and who’s responsibility should it be to order and replace them when they’re worn out?

Before the lube shop even does any work they should let you know that the bolts holding your cover that they have to remove are scraped/worn/rusted and may not come off or go back on properly. If they do that then the customer is aware and worst case if a bolt wont go in they can use a zip tie for a temp fix but let the customer know. You cant just throw a zip in and not say anything

NissanFanBoy
07-09-2018, 11:56 AM
This reminds of the official beyond.ca used car salesmen, who the fuck cares if you paid the fee to be a sponsor, anyone who buysfrom a dealer and even worse, trade their car in (which by the way this new guy, vwcarsalesguy, actually goes in people's buy/sell and asks) is likely going to get screwed... oil change places, less likely, but as in this case, you can still get fucked. Now I don't have kidsso I have tons of time do my own changes but even if idid, I would make the time, I just can't accept the risk of going to ANY of these places, I could care less if there's a "beyond discount".

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-09-2018, 12:00 PM
This reminds of the official beyond.ca used car salesmen, who the fuck cares if you paid the fee to be a sponsor, anyone who buysfrom a dealer and even worse, trade their car in (which by the way this new guy, vwcarsalesguy, actually goes in people's buy/sell and asks) is likely going to get screwed... oil change places, less likely, but as in this case, you can still get fucked. Now I don't have kidsso I have tons of time do my own changes but even if idid, I would make the time, I just can't accept the risk of going to ANY of these places, I could care less if there's a "beyond discount".

I'm having a hard time understanding what your point is exactly.

Reading OP's reviews was hard. I had to step away.

J-hop
07-09-2018, 12:26 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding what your point is exactly.

Reading OP's reviews was hard. I had to step away.

This whole thread was hard to read....

rx7boi
07-09-2018, 12:37 PM
I had to check out op's google reviews and yeah i gotta agree this guy might be on the hard side to please lol At the end of the day though, this post is not really that out to lunch. He wasnt really asking for free random shit, he just wanted his cover replaced properly and im sure you all would too if you were in his shoes. Without proof theres no way to prove any prior damage so the responsibility is on the shop because they were the last guys to remove it and they did take responsibility. Where the problem comes is how it was repaired, they got him a new cover and instead of ordering new hardware(i think they claimed they did) they used random bolts and a zip tie to secure. I cant speak for the op but if this were me i would be livid too if i found out they used a zip tie to secure one bolt hole, the hole could be be rusted to shit but at least tell me. Op was getting this replaced because the first time they didnt supposedly secure it(they took fault which was good on the shop) so for them to do a half ass repair the second time on a new cover is pretty brutal imo. Zip ties instead of bolts is beyond amateur. I would also be willing to bet if this were just a random lube shop it would be a complete different scenario in here.

+1

He's got some unhappy reviews. No big deal. He's got some 1 stars and also some 5 stars. Y'all keep bringing up Kent's name but he's not really the issue as much as it was the service techs who did the allegedly shoddy work.

The guy's had to go back to the shop twice already but you're giving him shit because he had the nerve to ask to get his car back in the condition he brought it in down to the bolt. The most incredible thing about this situation is that it all boils down to a petty conversation about a 5th bolt and rust.

People keep using the words "take responsibility" and I'm surprised to see people giving out kudos for a 3/4 job done. Jiffy Lube didn't buy him a new splash shield out of the kindness of their heart.

Shop says they ordered a new shield and hardware, but apparently ordered 3 OEM bolts, 1 silver bolt, and didn't want to order a 5th bolt because it looks rusted and naw fam, they don't replace broken parts.

If Kent is a straight shooter and Beyonders vouch for him, that's cool with me. You guys should really be focusing more on whether you agree that the techs did right by the OP with their fix and whether or not it was worth it to nickel and dime OP on a 5th bolt when they lost 5 to begin with and were already ordering 4 replacement ones.