PDA

View Full Version : RF 1001bd

NV_JSmith
03-26-2004, 06:51 PM
What is the max wattage i could pull out of this amp?

Jynx
03-26-2004, 08:16 PM
1000 rms @ 2ohms so clsose to 2000 watts peak..ask me i run the same amp ;)

Chadxton
03-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Max wattage is really speculative. If you make the amp clip to no end, it likely could do double of its peak wattage on a burp. That doesn't mean you're making an efficient use of the amp. As a rule, simply go by just RMS ratings of the amp. Peak ratings can be so misleading sometimes because of different methods of rating the amps, mainly with lower quality brands.

NV_JSmith
03-27-2004, 11:37 AM
I was guessing that RF used their RMS rating at like 1/3 of peak from all the other amps i looked at, 501s - 1500 watt peak, 801s - 2400 watt peak, 301s - 900 watt peak, I'm going to drop 2 12" L7's in my car and max wattage for those are 1500 each, 750 RMS. The rms rating for this amp is at 1000 watts @ 2 ohms, i'll run parallel @ 2 ohms on the subs. I've been told that under powering subwoofers can lead to voice coil burnout. If I run the amp in parrallel does that mean each woofer is gettin 1000 watts or each is getting 500?

Chadxton
03-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Saying underpowering is what kills a sub is both right and wrong. That could be taken as if the sub were underpowered, it would blow every time you turn the volume down. It could also mean that the amp doesn't have the sufficient power to run the sub properly when you want to crank it.

Say you have a sub rated for 1000 watts RMS, and you are using an amp rated for 300 watts.
Will it work? Yes
Will it work well? Likely not.
Will it go loud? Not without the amp clipping.
What does clipping usually sound like? Bass.
What does clipping do to subs? Prevents proper cooling of the coil by limiting cone movement, therefore overheating the coil.

The last one is what kills the sub. The sub doesn't care what power its being given. Clipping is not what necessarily kills the speaker entirely. It's a combination of clipping with time.

Extended periods of running a sub hard with the improper amount of power to allow proper cone movement is what kills the sub.

So, with the given 300 watt amp in this illustration, it will not optimally run the sub properly much past its given 300 watt rating, and that 300 watts may just not be enough for your listening requirements. So what people in this case do is crank up the gains expecting to make their system louder, when they're actually over-driving the input capability of the amplifier, causing it to clip.

This following site will explain clipping and prevent me from writing a book:
http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Hope this helps. If the final impedance of both L7's is 2 ohms, your amp will put out 500 RMS per sub. At 750 RMS rating apiece, it may be ok, it may not. All depends on how loud you like your music. Frankly, for me it probably would be louder than I'd care, so those subs would have a long life in my hands. :)

NV_JSmith
03-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Most likely I'd crank up d-volume specially on summer days cruisin the main strip in my town. I think it should be good. So RMS rating is goin to be like when i push my deck about half way?

Chadxton
03-27-2004, 02:47 PM
RMS = Root mean square. It's a continuous power rating. You know how music always changes, it's never constant. So there has to be a mean rating taken. That's what RMS is. It has nothing to do with the position of your volume knob.

I'm somewhat assuming you're going to listen more to rap/hip-hop stuff where you'll be listening to slow and low bass, right? :) In that case, have your box ported to allow louder and deeper bass. You'll be happy you did. For 2 L7's I'd recommend a box about 5 cubic feet or more if possible for ported.

NV_JSmith
03-27-2004, 02:48 PM
o yeh, i forgot... thanks

NV_JSmith
03-27-2004, 02:50 PM
na, i'm going to drop it in a large sealed box. I'm throwing alot of custom shit in the back

Chadxton
03-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Okie dokie. Doesn't hurt to port it, though. :)