PDA

View Full Version : A&W Beyond Burger

NissanFanBoy
07-12-2018, 01:36 PM
It's pretty fucking good, I've only been vegetarian for a year (so I remember what a real burger tastes like) and I can definitely tell you, this tastes better than the real thing. Highly recommend.

On a side note, Pizza 73's fake cheese tastes and melts better than the real thing!

Swank
07-12-2018, 01:39 PM
About time this forum had it's own burger!

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-12-2018, 01:42 PM
It's pretty fucking good, I've only been vegetarian for a year (so I remember what a real burger tastes like) and I can definitely tell you, this tastes better than the real thing. Highly recommend.

On a side note, Pizza 73's fake cheese tastes and melts better than the real thing!

If you're vegetarian, why are you getting fake cheese?

eglove
07-12-2018, 01:44 PM
If you're vegetarian, why are you getting fake cheese?

Beyond burger is vegan...so that's probably why the no cheese

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Beyond burger is vegan...so that's probably why the no cheese

Ah, fair enough.

schocker
07-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Beyond burger isn't vegan at aw though as it is on the same grill as everything else.
Almost got one for lunch but it is $6.99.

rage2
07-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Agreed. The only downside is the reluctance to remelt leftovers.

BigMass
07-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Beyond burger isn't vegan at aw though as it is on the same grill as everything else.
Almost got one for lunch but it is $6.99.

Tried it, it's good. But like you mentioned, for 7 bones it's pretty much a one time deal until they go on a sale rotation. IMO it's a 4-5 dollar burger tops.

Mitsu3000gt
07-12-2018, 02:35 PM
It will be expensive at first because they can so easily capitalize on the buzz and everyone wanting to try it. Nobody is going to go in there with a plan to try it and change their mind because it's $7 instead of $4 or $5.

prodigydud
07-12-2018, 02:54 PM
You can also buy Beyond burger patties by the box...works out to be $4 per patty. Although, the patties are made thinner and wider for A&W. The ones in the box are more puck-like.

bigbadboss101
07-12-2018, 03:04 PM
We tried these burgers at vegan restaurants before, for more $ but fully vegan. For a meat eater it's probably not worth it. I am not a vegetarian but I do find these pretty tasty. The other day before the soccer game we ordered teen burgers and beyond burgers. I had one of each and the burgers have different toppings and sauces so you can't really compare them. My mother in law likes the meat burgers. I am indifferent.

JRSC00LUDE
07-12-2018, 03:13 PM
I have had these because a friend owns a Vegan restaurant and, while they are very good for a veggie burger, to say they are better than the real thing is absolutely laughable.

That being said, it is the best vegetarian burger I've had and one I've had more than once.

ercchry
07-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Pizza 73 has real cheese?!

NissanFanBoy
07-12-2018, 03:48 PM
I have had these because a friend owns a Vegan restaurant and, while they are very good for a veggie burger, to say they are better than the real thing is absolutely laughable.

That being said, it is the best vegetarian burger I've had and one I've had more than once.

I tried it at Veg In YYC and thought it was nothing like the real thing. A&W had actually put it's own seasoning on it, try it out, it's pretty good.

For those asking, I don't eat eggs or dairy, but I don't call myself vegan because of all the idiots out there making us all look like idiots.

White Castle apparently uses the Impossible Burger which has actually been reviewed as better thanthe real thing by meat eating critics.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be expensive at first because they can so easily capitalize on the buzz and everyone wanting to try it. Nobody is going to go in there with a plan to try it and change their mind because it's $7 instead of $4 or $5.

I noticed on the menu it says you can sub it into any of their burgers, not sure if there's an extra charge though.

JRSC00LUDE
07-12-2018, 03:54 PM
I tried it at Veg In YYC and thought it was nothing like the real thing. A&W had actually put it's own seasoning on it, try it out, it's pretty good.

For those asking, I don't eat eggs or dairy, but I don't call myself vegan because of all the idiots out there making us all look like idiots.

White Castle apparently uses the Impossible Burger which has actually been reviewed as better thanthe real thing by meat eating critics.

I'll likely grab one, like I said I enjoyed the one's I've had - and I am a substantial meat eater. Regarding White Castle, if they're only comparing to their own burgers that wouldn't be hard! :rofl: I actually quite like that there's a real push on to make more vegetable based options available in general, I'll never stop eating real meat but so long as it isn't soy based I don't mind these other options at all.

Mitsu3000gt
07-12-2018, 04:12 PM
I noticed on the menu it says you can sub it into any of their burgers, not sure if there's an extra charge though.

Interesting - should make it easier to compare to beef that way.

01RedDX
07-12-2018, 08:26 PM

speedog
07-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Just heard from someone that works at an A&W that they pretty much have sold out of this burger in the city.

Xtrema
07-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Just heard from someone that works at an A&W that they pretty much have sold out of this burger in the city.

Canada.

https://www.livekindly.co/aw-sell-out-vegan-beyond-burgers/

I went by closest one and they don't expect shipment for until tomorrow since they didn't show up today.

NissanFanBoy
07-13-2018, 11:56 AM
I had one again at the food court at 5th Ave place just yesterday...

There's a vegan food truck on river front today, sign says they're out of beyond patties until Aug 4.

Insane, Bill Gates was inthe of the earliest investors in this company. Smart man. Apparently they've sold 11 million since 2016. Hong Kong's Li Ka Shing is an early investor in another fake meat company too.

cycosis
07-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Had one yesterday down at Shawnessey A & W. Texture wise its softer than meat. But pretty damn good.

craigcd
07-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Had one also, I think the taste is spot on to what I remember a A&W burger tasting like. Even the salty regret that lingered for hours after haha.

Does anyone know where you can buy the patties? I have bought them from "Hearts Choice" in the past and they have been sold out for weeks..... I am guessing in anticipation of the A&W launch. Sounds like they need to add some production!

NissanFanBoy
07-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Haha ya I've had to massive shits after, I think it's the grease, the fries and apple pie plus root beer don't help either...

prodigydud
07-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy the patties? I have bought them from "Hearts Choice" in the past and they have been sold out for weeks..... I am guessing in anticipation of the A&W launch. Sounds like they need to add some production!

We get them from the ABC Bookmobile whenever they stop by at our church (Calgary Central). They're scheduled next to be in Calgary on July 22-23.

You have to flash them your Christian ID badge to buy from them though.....I'm kidding - pretty sure it's open to the public.

reiRei
07-13-2018, 01:11 PM
I had a Beyond burger at Cross Iron Mills last night - wasn't actually terrible, I really liked it

ercchry
07-13-2018, 01:16 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/12RzWZIIEPiKf6/giphy.gif

NissanFanBoy
07-13-2018, 01:26 PM
We get them from the ABC Bookmobile whenever they stop by at our church (Calgary Central). They're scheduled next to be in Calgary on July 22-23.

You have to flash them your Christian ID badge to buy from them though.....I'm kidding - pretty sure it's open to the public.

I've heard of them lol they are Seventh Day Adventists I think, lot of vegetarians and they did a study on this town full of them and they're all old and in shape haha and I heard they carry the Beyond chicken strips...

RX_EVOLV
07-13-2018, 01:36 PM
hope this is not a stupid question but any health benefits vs actual meat patty?

NissanFanBoy
07-13-2018, 01:42 PM
hope this is not a stupid question but any health benefits vs actual meat patty?

Well basically it's made of veggies and grains and veggie proteins... no fats from meat = no saturated fats

Hope this doesn't turn into a debate thread though... no debating, no judging... just curious who has tried this burger..

KPHMPH
07-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Tried it! Tastes pretty much the same as the regular burger....I feel duped, like it should have tasted bad.

Xtrema
07-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Probably none. But raising cows is resource intensive. So this may be good for environment?

HiTempguy1
07-13-2018, 02:21 PM

No. The calorie, fat, nutrients, etc etc are basically even across the board. One could argue the Beyond patty is "slightly" healthier.

Well basically it's made of veggies and grains and veggie proteins... no fats from meat = no saturated fats

Its not really made of "veggies". I think that's being a bit disingenuous. It's a non-meat replacement. What I'd love to know is if it ACTUALLY is any better for the environment than regular meat.

Regardless, I won't be buying one. Beef until I die!

Mitsu3000gt
07-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Probably none. But raising cows is resource intensive. So this may be good for environment?

Aren't cows the #1 source of methane on the planet?

If these burgers are fat free and not super salty, that sounds pretty decent to me (from a health perspective).

craigcd
07-13-2018, 03:40 PM

If these burgers are fat free and not super salty, that sounds pretty decent to me (from a health perspective).

Yes, without actually fact checking or providing a reference. Methane also has a stronger GHG factor I believe which is why it is often flared off.

NissanFanBoy
07-13-2018, 04:02 PM
The environmental and health impacts can be debated all day long, I personally do it because I don't believe in killing animals. I'm very excited about the lab grown meat that will be coming on the market in the near future, it won't be a staple in my diets, just whenever I crave meat, not a big deal, I love eating fruits and veggies and grains and beans and tofu, etc.

bigbadboss101
07-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Bingo! Not sure whether they are healthier or the difference is enough to switch to this burger. More so it is for people who don't eat meat but like the taste of the Beyond burger. Strict vegans would ask for buns that are vegan, and make sure the sauce or such they add in are as well. But the grill for now are used to cook all types of burgers at A&W.

firebane
07-13-2018, 05:55 PM
Bingo! Not sure whether they are healthier or the difference is enough to switch to this burger. More so it is for people who don't eat meat but like the taste of the Beyond burger. Strict vegans would ask for buns that are vegan, and make sure the sauce or such they add in are as well. But the grill for now are used to cook all types of burgers at A&W.

I think people forget vegetarian != vegan and they are very different.

NoSup4U
07-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Fat/Calories are pretty spot on, as well yes there is saturated fats.

http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/beyond-burger

kertejud2
07-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Just tried it, it really is good. I even broke off a piece of the patty just to make sure it wasn't meat.

The texture is so close that you could easily fool many unsuspecting meat eaters.

I mean, that is literally the point of the company.

‘Indistinguishable and healthier and more sustainable’ is why billionaires have invested in it.

Xtrema
07-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Just tried one.

If nobody told me, it's a worse than average fast food burger.

But knowing it's not meat going in, it's a pretty good veggie burger.

ianmcc
07-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Number one methane source is from natural wetlands.
Livestock farming (all livestock not just cows) is number two.

speedog
07-21-2018, 11:28 AM
number one methane source is from natural wetlands.
Livestock farming (all livestock not just cows) is number two.

tml (not text/thank me later)

EK 2.0
07-31-2018, 09:07 AM
I had one over the weekend....and I have to admit it was pretty good...

If I wasn't told it was a plant based burger I would have assumed it was a regular meat burger...

ExtraSlow
07-31-2018, 09:21 AM
In terms of energy intensity and pollution, we should all be eating less red meat. I like beans etc, I just have a philosophical objection to foods pretending to be other foods.

Xtrema
07-31-2018, 09:33 AM
In terms of energy intensity and pollution, we should all be eating less red meat. I like beans etc, I just have a philosophical objection to foods pretending to be other foods.

Buddhist has been doing it for centuries.

dj_rice
07-31-2018, 10:29 AM
I purchased one alongside a Teen Burger to do a taste test. Very impressed. Texture was almost similiar to meat and very good taste. Amazed. The Ingredients list on this patty, I never expected it to taste like meat at all. Good job A & W and Beyond Meat. I'm intrigued to try their Beyond Meat sausages and see

EK 2.0
07-31-2018, 11:14 AM
I'm intrigued to try their Beyond Meat sausages and see

Why??....just eat the normal sausage...haha...

Super_Geo
10-07-2018, 11:27 PM
So, Beyond Burgers were sold out nation wide all of August and Sept, and A&W only recently got restocked on Oct 1st.

I had one today and it was one of the better fast food burgers I've had in years, and I love meat. It was so much better than what I was expecting that, upon finishing the burger, I immediately looked to see if the company was public, and if not then when the IPO was going to be. This is the future.

However... the financials seem risky. Typical SF valuation on the basis of owning the entire market in the future: $73MM raised so far, latest round was a Series G, which is a lot of rounds but the company has been around for nearly a decade (founded in 2009). Here's where it gets interesting... between 2016 and summer-2018, they've sold a total of 12MM patties. The patties retail around $2.50/unit, so wholesale they're likely around $1... so they've brought in $12MM in 2 years, raised $73MM at what is probably a $500-1B valuation. Pretty lofty ambitions! That being said... they've just expanded capacity to triple what it was before, and people seem to really enjoy the product.

I'm very stoked that vegetarian/vegan fare has made this much progress in recent years. I'll probably have a couple of these a month. I'm kind of itching for one already...

NissanFanBoy
10-08-2018, 09:46 AM
It actually isn't the future, the future is lab grown meat.

Extra slow has a philosophical objection to meat pretending to be meat. Well I have a philosophical objection to breeding billions of animals a year just so we can viscously slaughter them. Take a look at what's with all the dead livestock and livestock waste from the Carolina hurricanes recently, it is not only disgusting to me from a moral point of view but disgusting to what its doing to the environment. Sorry, I know this thread isn't about morals or political views.

Side note, Ikea Calgary recently launched a vegan hot dog that is supposedly very good... They are also releasing dairy free soft serve ice cream soon.

Calgary Mini Donuts also went dairy free earlier this year and they taste every bit as great!

suntan
10-08-2018, 09:48 AM

I have my doubts about a product like this though being any less energy intensive.

Tofu is also very popular in the non-meating crowd and it's an energy and environment mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look at what's with all the dead livestock and livestock waste from the Carolina hurricanes recently, it is not only disgusting to me from a moral point of view but disgusting to what its doing to the environment.Nutrients being returned to the earth?

NissanFanBoy
10-08-2018, 09:50 AM
I have my doubts about a product like this though being any less energy intensive.

Tofu is also very popular in the non-meating crowd and it's an energy and environment mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Nutrients being returned to the earth?

Lol if only..... I'm talking about the waste pools that they regularly keep in particular. Basically it created a giant shit storm.

suntan
10-08-2018, 09:52 AM
So... Nutrients being returned to the earth?

NissanFanBoy
10-08-2018, 09:56 AM
So... Nutrients being returned to the earth?

Here.... Sure if you want to call it that..
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/outlook/2018/09/22/i-saw-florence-sending-millions-gallons-animal-poop-flooding-across-north-carolina/

TomcoPDR
10-08-2018, 10:18 AM
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/outlook/2018/09/22/i-saw-florence-sending-millions-gallons-animal-poop-flooding-across-north-carolina/

Saw it on YouTube sometime ago, someone flew a drone filming the pool full of blood, urine, poop from these farming factories. Then it gets sprayed into the air it was disgusting.

suntan
10-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Medium term there will be very little ramification from this. Even after a couple of years it will be fine.

Maxx Mazda
10-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Huh. Dead pigs float. Neat!

taemo
10-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Was finally motivated enough to go and try the Beyond burger (with cheese and bacon too) and thought it was OK.
The look and texture of the patty is very similar to a beef patty but there are times I felt like I was eating mashed beans.
Also full price for just burger with cheese and bacon was over 9$ without coupon :nut:
A teen burger in comparison is 7.50$ IIRC.

IMO the patty is comparable to fast food beef patty, but homemade burger? Still lagging far behind.
https://i.postimg.cc/jdMVp58Y/IMG-5298.jpg

Disoblige
10-11-2018, 01:19 PM
The day that beyond meat can be sold in packages similar to how ground beef is right now in supermarkets and relatively cheap, I will definitely convert. Until then, I will only eat Beyond burgers with the $3.50 coupon :rofl:

taemo
10-11-2018, 02:48 PM
^for me only if it is free, after eating the burger over an hour ago I'm feeling like crap.
my stomach must have been really disappointed that it wasn't real beef burger :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 03:19 PM
How much salt is in these things? The A&W website only has calories (500) and fat (29g) but no breakdowns. It has coconut oil so I am guessing most of that is saturated at well over 100% of your daily recommended intake. I wouldn't be surprised if you're better off just having a normal burger from a health perspective.

craigcd
10-11-2018, 03:50 PM
I buy the burgers frozen from Hearts Choice and make them myself. Way better than A&W.......

I was thirsty for hours after the A&W version although it did taste good at the time haha

speedog
10-11-2018, 04:51 PM
How much salt is in these things? The A&W website only has calories (500) and fat (29g) but no breakdowns. It has coconut oil so I am guessing most of that is saturated at well over 100% of your daily recommended intake. I wouldn't be surprised if you're better off just having a normal burger from a health perspective.

Apparently a single quarter pound patty has 450mg of sodium as compared to a lean beef patty of the same size which will run about 90mg of sodium. Add in a slice of cheddar at around 135mg, some pickles, ketchup and mustard and you're on track for a hefty sodium dose.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Apparently a single quarter pound patty has 450mg of sodium as compared to a lean beef patty of the same size which will run about 90mg of sodium. Add in a slice of cheddar at around 135mg, some pickles, ketchup and mustard and you're on track for a hefty sodium dose.

Interesting, so they are very unhealthy (high calorie, high salt, high saturated fat). Is the only benefit really that vegans can eat them?

suntan
10-11-2018, 05:06 PM
The day that beyond meat can be sold in packages similar to how ground beef is right now in supermarkets and relatively cheap, I will definitely convert. Until then, I will only eat Beyond burgers with the $3.50 coupon :rofl:

NissanFanBoy
10-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Best post I've personally ever seen on beyond suntan haha

Super_Geo
10-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Had a Teen Burger vs Beyond Burger showdown... both my fiance and I preferred the Beyond burger. Will be interesting to see what (if anything) the other fast food chains will reply with.

The people at A&W said that the Beyond burger is insanely popular, even now. News articles say it's the most popular new item A&W has ever launched.

Kavy
10-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Those commenting on nutritional value are correct, they are considerable less “healthy” for you then a regular burger (and a regular burger is far from healthy).

The biggest kicker here is the use of coconut oil which shifts from villain to hero on a weekly basis. Like mentioned above the saturated fat in this burger alone puts you way above your daily intake and that type of behaviour no matter what source it comes from isn’t good for the body especially with coconut oils long term effects looking like they impact the body and raise LDL cholesterol.

Benefit : if you don’t eat meat you can now have a decent tasting burger just don’t spill on your scarf and t-shirt combo.
Cons : high saturated fats, increased cholesterol, high sodium, your skinny jeans might not fit anymore.

max_boost
10-12-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm skinny. I'll take the real cow.

Super_Geo
10-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Seems like sodium is the only one that's a lot worse? The rest are pretty much in line...

The Beyond Burger (4-oz. patty)
Calories: 290
Total fat (g): 22
Saturated fat (g): 5
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 450
Protein (g): 20
Iron (Daily Value %): 25%

85-percent lean beef (4-oz. patty, based on USDA National Nutrient Database)
Calories: 283
Total fat (g): 17.5
Saturated fat (g): 6.7
Cholesterol (mg): 100
Sodium (mg): 82
Protein (g): 29.4
Iron (Daily Value %): 16%

firebane
10-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Just another fad... No I will not try one nor have any plans too.

Give me a normal burger any day.

NissanFanBoy
10-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Just another fad... No I will not try one nor have any plans too.

Give me a normal burger any day.

You base your decisions on whether they're a fad or not? Genuinely curious...

The sodium content does worry me, but I don't eat these things everyday lol to me it's just a once in a while treat

Disoblige
10-12-2018, 12:06 PM
That girl on the right god daymn.

killramos
10-12-2018, 12:12 PM
2/3 the protein and 10% more fat aren’t great either...

firebane
10-12-2018, 12:14 PM
You base your decisions on whether they're a fad or not? Genuinely curious...

The sodium content does worry me, but I don't eat these things everyday lol to me it's just a once in a while treat

The fad is that everyone thinks these are so much better for you when in reality they aren't. I have also heard they cook them on the same grill as the rest of the burgers so you have that to mix in as well.

So no I am not completely basing it based off of a fad.. I am basing it partially off of a fad but also the fact they really aren't better for you.

These things are the definition of a hipster food.

suntan
10-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Seems like sodium is the only one that's a lot worse? The rest are pretty much in line...

The Beyond Burger (4-oz. patty)
Calories: 290
Total fat (g): 22
Saturated fat (g): 5
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 450
Protein (g): 20
Iron (Daily Value %): 25%

85-percent lean beef (4-oz. patty, based on USDA National Nutrient Database)
Calories: 283
Total fat (g): 17.5
Saturated fat (g): 6.7
Cholesterol (mg): 100
Sodium (mg): 82
Protein (g): 29.4
Iron (Daily Value %): 16%
Once you put some salt on the beef it's probably going to be pretty close.

A790
10-12-2018, 01:20 PM
The fad is that everyone thinks these are so much better for you when in reality they aren't. I have also heard they cook them on the same grill as the rest of the burgers so you have that to mix in as well.

So no I am not completely basing it based off of a fad.. I am basing it partially off of a fad but also the fact they really aren't better for you.

These things are the definition of a hipster food.

Considering that global meat production will have to decline as our efforts to combat climate change ramp up, burgers like this will be what keeps us all sane.

The burger isn't marketed as being better for you. It's being marketed as a delicious non-meat burger, and on that level, it succeeds.

suntan
10-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Or meat production will have to be more efficient.

A790
10-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Or meat production will have to be more efficient.
Figure out how to deal with the greenhouse gases and you might be on to something. Otherwise, you, me, and every other carnivore are going to have to wrap our heads around the idea that we'll be eating less meat in the future. lol

suntan
10-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Google "cows less methane".

msommers
10-12-2018, 02:23 PM
The veggie burger at Burger 320 is fucking fantastic. I like it more than their meat options.

Suntan's post has successfully distracted me. Time to go home.

A790
10-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Google "cows less methane".

Google "climate change + meat".

suntan
10-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Yes sonny, people are working on the problem. Good jorb.

A790
10-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Yes sonny, people are working on the problem. Good jorb.
Totally. We're going to figure out how to genetically engineer cows/chickens/pigs/lamb/etc. to greatly reduce greenhouse gases in the relatively short window we have to be effective. And we'll figure out how to make those technologies accessible and affordable, too.

As much as I'd like to believe that, it's far more likely that we'll all be eating less meat.

Sorry if that doesn't conform to your belief system. It is what it is.

HiTempguy1
10-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Considering that global meat production will have to decline as our efforts to combat climate change ramp up,

Ok :rofl:

Edit-
In case you haven't noticed, globally efforts are being "ramped down" as the global warming scam comes to a close.

The Cosworth
10-19-2018, 08:07 AM
The veggie burger at Burger 320 is fucking fantastic. I like it more than their meat options.

Suntan's post has successfully distracted me. Time to go home.

Wow really, and I like their meat burger.

suntan
10-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Totally. We're going to figure out how to genetically engineer cows/chickens/pigs/lamb/etc. to greatly reduce greenhouse gases in the relatively short window we have to be effective. And we'll figure out how to make those technologies accessible and affordable, too.

As much as I'd like to believe that, it's far more likely that we'll all be eating less meat.

Sorry if that doesn't conform to your belief system. It is what it is.

Um, yeah... Feeding seaweed to cows greatly reduces their flatulence... No need for genetic engineering. Although selectively breeding cows that fart less would probably work.