PDA

View Full Version : fun car budget: maximize on one, or spread it around?

Buster
07-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Next summer, I will have gotten three driving seasons out of my current fun ride. So of course, I'm looking at the next thing. The other thread talking about lifts had me thinking: my spare garage spot could be turned into two. Which means I could go either for a "one car" strategy or a "multiple less expensive cars" strategy.

The second one would let me get some of the cars I wanted when I was younger, and scratch that itch. The first option means I get something newer and higher performance/fancy.

killramos
07-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Assuming you already have a winter beater (which you do)

I say go for one.

Also, sell me your GTS cheap :rofl:

ercchry
07-16-2018, 02:26 PM
I’d do two... but one would be a track car, the other more GT for the road

asp integra
07-16-2018, 02:33 PM
What are the cars your would be looking at if it were between multiple at lesser price and single at higher price?

never
07-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Really depends on which option turns you on more...me personally, I'd prefer more cars for the driving diversity/more purpose oriented cars as ercchry mentioned.

Sentry
07-16-2018, 04:24 PM
I hate boring cars, so even my dailys are "cool" project cars. The M5 gets the nice parts and the others get hand-me-downs and used stuff. You can have a lot of cheap fun, my wagon was about $4k and I'm into it for another $1k for turboing it. Mustang was $1k and will be turboed for another $2k (new parts vs. junkyard rear mount on wagon)

EDIT: And the M5 doesn't get winter driven. I hate seeing nice cars turn to shit when people winter drive them.

ercchry
07-16-2018, 04:57 PM
I hate seeing nice cars turn to shit when people winter drive them.

too bad! :rofl:

life is too short not to enjoy what you drive for half the year

Sentry
07-16-2018, 04:59 PM
I enjoy my turbo V8 wagon. It's enough enjoyment for me to not ruin my M-car by winter driving it. :D

Buster
07-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Assuming you already have a winter beater (which you do)

I say go for one.

Also, sell me your GTS cheap :rofl:

Ya, would probably mean selling the GTS sometime next summer? My plan might be to sell it the year after. Not sure.

you&me
07-16-2018, 05:05 PM
You can only drive one car at a time...

Buster
07-16-2018, 05:06 PM
What are the cars your would be looking at if it were between multiple at lesser price and single at higher price?

The decision is whether to keep the GTS and install a lift for an additional car. I was thinking something along hte lines of this: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/lotus/exige/saint-gabriel-de-valcartier/quebec/19_10581574_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_4_4&pc=T2Z%201M4&sprx=-1

Or sell the GTS, stay iwth one car and bump up to the next tier above the GTS.

But it's less about my specific decisions, and more about what peoples' preferences are...I'm curious what people do and why.

Sentry
07-16-2018, 05:11 PM
The decision is whether to keep the GTS and install a lift for an additional car. I was thinking something along hte lines of this: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/lotus/exige/saint-gabriel-de-valcartier/quebec/19_10581574_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_4_4&pc=T2Z%201M4&sprx=-1
Do it

ExtraSlow
07-16-2018, 05:15 PM
I would really enjoy having a "fun" car that's whatever I consider cheap. I've owned some real beaters, and some of them were a lot of fun. None of them had impressive performance, but that's not always the point.

If a car is expensive enough to worry about it, it's not your fun can IMO.

killramos
07-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Ya, would probably mean selling the GTS sometime next summer? My plan might be to sell it the year after. Not sure.

I mean, I want it, but my wife is of the asinine opinion that I "have enough cars" and it's time for another house :rofl:

So we will see haha.

On the topic, I say keep it to 1 summer car and 1 winter beater unless you are in a position to have anything you want.

You will never get enough seat time in either of them to justify the depreciation ( depends what you get I guess ) and insurance cost. My vote is eat the depreciation once and get new cars more often Shakalaka style.

My exception to this rule would be for a classic that isn't for "driving". For example, Winter Beater, Summer Car, and 60's muscle car that spends 90% of its time in a thousand pieces in the garage and driven only on Sundays.

:dunno:

you&me
07-16-2018, 08:07 PM
I was going to say, dumping the GTS would be a great time to get into something a little easier on the depreciation and with the Exige you posted, I'm guessing the total budget for a single car could be in the $175-200k range... It's very difficult to play the new car "hot potato" game ala Shakalaka, and even trickier when you move up to the AMG GT / R8 level... What about something like a 993 Turbo (ain't no dentist car!) or 550 Maranello (Bad Boys, Bad Boys...)?

If you buy them 'right' (as-in, make sure the previous owner kept the services up to date), you could drive them for a couple summers with minimal depreciation and get back what you paid for them... Wash, rinse, repeat as something new catches your eye.

Maxt
07-16-2018, 09:20 PM
Go with one car, something recent and make it count. Old cars are just liabilities in terms of up keep and having to hoard parts to keep them alive. I honestly am not that rev'd up about any of my old junk since driving a newer viper. I can make them fast, they were fast, but honestly the new car is just a way nicer drive. I never thought I'd say this, but having something fast and under warranty fucking rocks. ...Maybe 2 beers was too much tonight.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
Go with one car, something recent and make it count. Old cars are just liabilities in terms of up keep and having to hoard parts to keep them alive. I honestly am not that rev'd up about any of my old junk since driving a newer viper. I can make them fast, they were fast, but honestly the new car is just a way nicer drive. I never thought I'd say this, but having something fast and under warranty fucking rocks. ...Maybe 2 beers was too much tonight.

Pretty much this. You either pay on the front end or the back end anyway.

Buster
07-16-2018, 09:41 PM
My default was to do a straight upgrade to the AMG.

But this got me thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYG6Ck2g9s

killramos
07-16-2018, 09:57 PM
I have a very soft spot in my heart for the original Gallardo spyder. 6MT and black on black with yellow stitching.

Probably slower than my current car, but so cool.

you&me
07-17-2018, 09:06 AM
I have a very soft spot in my heart for the original Gallardo spyder. 6MT and black on black with yellow stitching.

Probably slower than my current car, but so cool.

Definitely slower than your current car and a huge step backwards from his GT... And not in a "but it sure has character and charm" sort of way, like say, a 993 or F355, but in a "how did they ever get away with this?" sort of way.

killramos
07-17-2018, 09:10 AM
“Never meet your heros” :rofl:

88CRX
07-17-2018, 09:12 AM
On the topic, I say keep it to 1 summer car and 1 winter beater unless you are in a position to have anything you want.

You will never get enough seat time in either of them to justify the depreciation ( depends what you get I guess ) and insurance cost. My vote is eat the depreciation once and get new cars more often Shakalaka style.

My exception to this rule would be for a classic that isn't for "driving". For example, Winter Beater, Summer Car, and 60's muscle car that spends 90% of its time in a thousand pieces in the garage and driven only on Sundays.

:dunno:

Word... total first word problem. Multiple vehicle is great and all but you can only ever drive one. One (or more) always gets neglected and never driven. And you need to register and insure all of them. And car wash day takes literally an entire day.

But on the other hand..... yolo!

Sentry
07-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Definitely slower than your current car and a huge step backwards from his GT... And not in a "but it sure has character and charm" sort of way, like say, a 993 or F355, but in a "how did they ever get away with this?" sort of way.
:rofl:

Yeah Gallardos trap like 108mph in the 1/4 here in Calgary. If you're gonna go slower you gotta go cool, like the F355 mentioned.

you&me
07-17-2018, 10:37 AM
“Never meet your heros” :rofl:

LOL! I had originally written that in my post but then deleted it... :thumbsup:

Buster
07-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Funny, a 355 would have been on my list of "addition" cars originally. It's literally the ultimate car that I grew up with that I would want. It's 90's cool, done right. They still sound goddamn amazing. But as I got older I realized what a PITA those things are. And they are now going up or have gone up, in value. Tough call.

Gallardo is not on my want list. Never really been a fan.

Unfortunately it really does pay to go FI in Calgary.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Word... total first word problem. Multiple vehicle is great and all but you can only ever drive one. One (or more) always gets neglected and never driven. And you need to register and insure all of them. And car wash day takes literally an entire day.

But on the other hand..... yolo!

I've come to this realization, but I still can't get rid of one of my cars.

JustinL
07-17-2018, 01:46 PM
I would prefer having a few different cars over a single all-arounder. The only thing I would suggest is not buying 2 cars that do similar jobs. For example, don't get a F355 and a Gallardo, or a Porsche 356 and an old Alfa. Get one car that is fast, modern, easy to jump in and drive and pair it with an '80s Porsche which will be slow, but ooze cool (and oil). Or, one comfortable GT car and a razor sharp track car.

bjstare
07-17-2018, 03:00 PM
I've come to this realization, but I still can't get rid of one of my cars.

I'll buy your S2K ;)

Sorath
07-17-2018, 03:18 PM
having an exotic/high end car is overrated. it always seems like a good idea to buy your "dream" car but quickly you realize how much you really drive it and how paranoid you get with it being parked outside in different places.

my advice is to buy something you'll drive and enjoy and not worry about wrecking the car or putting so many miles on it

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-17-2018, 03:23 PM
I'll buy your S2K ;)

Haha, I'll keep that in mind if I ever sell it.
It's the Mini that I never drive, and should let go of.

Buster
07-17-2018, 06:09 PM
having an exotic/high end car is overrated. it always seems like a good idea to buy your "dream" car but quickly you realize how much you really drive it and how paranoid you get with it being parked outside in different places.

my advice is to buy something you'll drive and enjoy and not worry about wrecking the car or putting so many miles on it

I'm not sure I agree. Overall I think it is under-rated.

I'm not paranoid at all. I drive the GT everywhere. Unless the weather is bad (ie hail a possibility), I drive it almost as my daily. I also have it fully wrapped, so not that concerned about dings and damage.

edit: errr....I meant under-rated.

Disoblige
07-17-2018, 06:41 PM
The only thing I would suggest is not buying 2 cars that do similar jobs. For example, don't get a F355 and a Gallardo, or a Porsche 356 and an old Alfa. Get one car that is fast, modern, easy to jump in and drive and pair it with an '80s Porsche which will be slow, but ooze cool (and oil). Or, one comfortable GT car and a razor sharp track car.
I agree with this.
I typically have 3 cars; one sporty (mainly coupe, and worth under 20k), one sporty but practical, and one that has higher ground clearance and bonus if it can off-road.

But as I get older, I think I want to downsize to 2, where one is a daily driver for all 4 seasons and something to throw the dogs in (ex: AWD luxury performance SUV/wagon), and one sports car.

gogreen
07-18-2018, 09:38 AM
I've been travelling the multiple, less expensive road for some time. I technically have two fun cars at the moment where one is an occasional driver and one is a basket case 60's project truck, and neither are exotic or all that expensive. The two fill very different niches but if the truck were in a driveable state I think it'd be a challenge to find the time to drive both. So I'm downsizing and focusing my resources (time and money) on the one.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7535/28906366194_390db8c747_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/L3mFA3)

I do like having a car reserved for occasional duty but at the same time they're meant to be driven so it's a delicate balance. I thought about a lift to solve my parking dilemma but it wouldn't solve the issue of a car sitting unused, and may even make it worse if it has to be lowered off the lift every time I want to drive it. Of course I could always just get a lift anyway but I would likely just use it for working on the project rather than storage.

mrsingh
07-18-2018, 10:49 AM
I think it really depends on what your preferences are and what is important to you. You already have a nice daily driver and a nice summer car. Could the summer car be replaced by two cheaper ones? Absolutely, but what are the goals of those cars? Do you want a light, manual car (something like the Exige you posted), or a convertible? Are you looking to build a track car? I am sure you could get a nice used SL63 for summer days and have a track spec E92 M3 or Lotus Exiger easily for what you could sell the AMG GT for.

In my personal life I have been downsizing and trying to live cheaper, so have gone from having two summer cars down to one, and am driving older less expensive vehicles overall. If I were to expand again, I would probably go for a multiple cheaper vehicles that suited different purposes, versus one expensive one.

Either way good luck with whatever you decide!