PDA

View Full Version : JK U Wrangler 7 Pin Trailer Harness

killramos
07-19-2018, 12:19 PM
Any other JK Jeep owners on here have their Jeep delivered with a 7 pin trailer connector from factory?

Everything I read online or in the manual references jk’s coming with a 4 pin (if at all) but for some bizarre reason (not complaining) mine has a full 7 pin connector. Definitely was not put in after the fact as I know the original owner never towed anything with it, and it’s the oem Mopar connector.

My question is does anyone know where the cable for a trailer brake controller terminates? Just wondering if this is maybe a Canadian Jeep thing and would save me the hassle of tearing it apart to find a wire haha.

FWIW, not planning on doing any appreciable towing so I don’t need the lecture on how shit wranglers are for towing. Just noticed that a lot of even ultralight trailer rentals around town require 7 pin and trailer brakes and I have been looking into how painless it would be to put in a controller.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-19-2018, 12:46 PM
The Max Tow package for the JK only ever came with a 4-pin harness, the Mopar 7-pin harness was a dealer-installed accessory. I believe the harness's wire for the brake controller (light blue wire) may just be looped behind the glove box, but there's no actual termination point as it'll just be wherever the installer left it. Check in the driver's side under-dash area as well.

killramos
07-19-2018, 01:06 PM
I did not check behind glove box, Good call thanks. Will take a look in there tonight. I was looking around with a buddy yesterday evening and I didn’t see anything under drivers side which is what puzzled me. I was worried it was just tied up behind the tailight or something and just for show.

I was completely shocked to find the 7 way, must just be a commonly requested add on so they tossed it on right off the lot or something. Saves me 100 bucks if I decide to go down this route I guess.