PDA

View Full Version : Cannibis to treat mental health issues - UofC study

ExtraSlow
07-19-2018, 01:40 PM

max_boost
07-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Cannabis for life. Use it to treat anything.

msommers
07-19-2018, 03:31 PM
Seems more published survey results.

I'll have to find the Australian study I read recently on this, it was one of the longest running ones so far. The results weren't very favorable for medicinal pot for few specific things.

Edit: chronic pain

https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/news/australian-study-finds-no-strong-evidence-cannabis-use-reduces-pain-or-opioid-use-people-living

ercchry
07-19-2018, 03:33 PM
micro-dosed LSD or mushrooms is a pretty interesting concept for mental health

JordanEG6
07-19-2018, 03:35 PM

An old Silicon Valley secret.
My aunt is also doing this with LSD. She swears by it.

msommers
07-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Does she do this in Canada?

ExtraSlow
07-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Actually just talked to a guy about this. Sounds fascinating.

blairtruck
07-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Cannabis for life. Use it to treat anything.
Hope you ready for the next episode, heeeeey
Smoke weed everyday

max_boost
07-19-2018, 05:59 PM

YES! This!

NissanFanBoy
07-19-2018, 06:08 PM
I was pretty depressed when I was 18, tried ecstasy and it opened my eyes to a whole world, used it once or twice every weekend at raves for a couple years, it was great but like anything too much is bad.... same with weed, if I smoke one or twice a week it's such a great stress reliever, but if I smoke every day of the week for an entire week, I really start to notice my mind gets a little foggy during the day at work, maybe it's in my head I don't know.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2018, 08:14 AM

YES! This! CBC article about a real scientific trial on microdosing

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/microdosing-pschedelics-study-1.4771647

adam c
08-05-2018, 08:53 AM
I use CBD for my anxiety, I would say 98% of the time it does what I need it to do, sometimes that 2% I either just have to ride it out or pop an Ativan

Although interesting enough, I’ve switched to zerocarb + fasting and I’ve been pretty clearheaded lately

jabjab
08-07-2018, 01:26 PM
I was pretty depressed when I was 18, tried ecstasy and it opened my eyes to a whole world, used it once or twice every weekend at raves for a couple years, it was great but like anything too much is bad.... same with weed, if I smoke one or twice a week it's such a great stress reliever, but if I smoke every day of the week for an entire week, I really start to notice my mind gets a little foggy during the day at work, maybe it's in my head I don't know.

Ecstasy/MDMA helped with your depression? how does the scientifically make sense? It releases serotonin and after the high is gone you usually become more depressed. Don't get offended with my question, i'm actually very interested.

max_boost
08-07-2018, 01:28 PM
CBC article about a real scientific trial on microdosing

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/microdosing-pschedelics-study-1.4771647

I know it works because my ex left me after experimenting with it. I'm sure it really helped open her eyes to a whole new world :rofl:

ercchry
08-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Ecstasy/MDMA helped with your depression? how does the scientifically make sense? It releases serotonin and after the high is gone you usually become more depressed. Don't get offended with my question, i'm actually very interested.

You’re speaking more chemically. Usually depression has some underlying issues. I would think it “works” in the same way it works for people with PTSD, let’s your mind see the issues differently and hopefully deal with and fix them

adam c
08-07-2018, 02:20 PM
MDMA was originally created as an antidepressant

jabjab
08-07-2018, 02:28 PM
You’re speaking more chemically. Usually depression has some underlying issues. I would think it “works” in the same way it works for people with PTSD, let’s your mind see the issues differently and hopefully deal with and fix them

Yes chemically. If you release all the serotonin you're going to feel depressed the next day regardless of what your undlying issues are. A ripped sock will make you think its the end of the world.

msommers
08-07-2018, 02:47 PM
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/what-causes-depression

Buster
08-07-2018, 02:57 PM
This confirms my anecdotal evidence that people who supper from anxiety, depression or other undefined mental issues are often turning to cannibis for relief.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/university-calgary-students-cannabis-use-1.4751564

Anyone think that more rigorous studies will be done to prove the benefit for these issues? Or is there no profit to be made from the studies?

Other things with which people self-medicate: cocaine, alcohol, sex with dirty whores, heroin, etc.

Outcome studies are all that matter.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Outcome studies are all that matter.totally agree. Hope a bunch of those happen.

Tik-Tok
08-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Yes chemically. If you release all the serotonin you're going to feel depressed the next day regardless of what your undlying issues are. A ripped sock will make you think its the end of the world.

I can't speak chemically, but as anecdotal evidence, every time I did it in my youth I was left feeling very happy/content for a month afterwards. If I had to guess I say it releases a lot of serotonin, but then your body starts pumping it out rapidly to make up for the lack of it. I'm talking out of my ass though, as I'm not a chemist.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2018, 04:24 PM
I know nothing of this, but is the problem the speed of serotonin production, or the speed of Seratonin release?

Does using a lot one day reduce or increase the amount availibke the next day? Is that the same for everyone, or different for people with depression or other mental health issues?

CMW403
08-07-2018, 06:39 PM
MDMA was originally created as an antidepressant

MDA is what they first developed as an anti-depressant, It later became MDMA, although all the hippies from the 60's tell me that MDA was WAYYYYYY better then MDMA.

ExtraSlow
09-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Another cbc article about using psychedelics to treat mental health issues.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-407-the-waffle-house-index-trump-book-quiz-the-big-trip-photographing-spain-s-ghost-towns-and-more-1.4821840/how-psychedelic-therapy-could-treat-mental-illness-by-helping-people-think-more-like-kids-1.4821858

There's a lot of research being done in these fields, and I hope that type of research continues because there's a lot of people out there who could be helped.

Really seems like canada is leading the world in some of this research.

max_boost
09-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Well it's helping me function on the daily as I'm mental for sure

mr2mike
09-18-2018, 08:05 AM
I was pretty depressed when I was 18, tried ecstasy and it opened my eyes to a whole world, used it once or twice every weekend at raves for a couple years, it was great but like anything too much is bad
Depression and you took e? Surprised you didn't really crash after with depression on top. Not the smartest. If not the worst idea you could do.

I have heard of LSD to treat long term mental trauma. But under a psychologist or shrink to help bring you through it all and direct your thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Really seems like canada is leading the world in some of this research.
I think it's because your source is CBC ;)
US is also doing this but not widely publicized due the drug classifications.

ExtraSlow
09-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Not really related, but.....
Scientists gave octopuses mdma
https://gizmodo.com/scientists-gave-mdma-to-octopuses-and-what-happened-was-1829191638

gatorade
09-21-2018, 08:13 PM
I think that's what e was specifically made for in the past.

ExtraSlow
09-21-2018, 08:22 PM
I think that's what e was specifically made for in the past.

For Octopi?

adam c
09-21-2018, 08:36 PM
For Octopi?

How else do you think they move like that