PDA

View Full Version : need another watch recommendation ($2,000)

Buster
07-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Buying it as a gift for an employee that has done some good work recently.

What do we have in that price range?

Tudor?
Tag?
Hamilton?

dj_rice
07-23-2018, 09:27 PM
Are you hiring?

shakalaka
07-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Since it's a gift, I am guessing it has to be brand new?

No Tudor's that are brand new in that price range, I don't think.

Some Tag's can be had and lots of Hamilton's. Is the guy a watch guy or not? If so, then they may appreciate either brand. But if they aren't it's more likely that they will know Tag as it has better brand recognition. Are they smartwatch people at all? If you want to combine tech with watch that is. I can't seem to get away from them personally. Had an Apple watch and Tag Heuer Connected Modular 45 already and just picked up a Montblanc Summit recently. It's not for everyone but just a suggestion. Some other good brands that can be had within that price range are Oris, Ball, Raymond Weil (have one I am looking to unload (mint but not new)), Baume & Mercier etc.

npham
07-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Nomos? They've got a few models in your price range, but would depend on the person/style.

Buster
07-23-2018, 10:15 PM
Are you hiring?

Haha. Want to sleep under your desk all weekend while doing excel work?

ercchry
07-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Could get him a flagship lum-tec and have enough left to also give him a nice meal (and night off!)

Buster
07-23-2018, 10:27 PM
What kinda tag can you get in that range?

I like the idea of a Hamilton... But I dont want the guy to have to Google the brand.

shakalaka
07-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Tag Formula 1 or some Aquaracers as well.

Manhattan
07-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Is this a small private company kinda perk?

Buster
07-23-2018, 11:55 PM
Is this a small private company kinda perk?

Not sure what you mean?

C4S
07-24-2018, 01:53 AM
If I am buying for myself, under $2K I will go for Hamilton, but most people don't recognize the brand, TAG is better good idea, everyone knows that brand, for under $2k, most likely with Quartz movement, (most people don't mind) and Automatic movement would be slightly over 2k.

May be you can also consider Oris, another very well known brand, and you can get a decent one for $2k. Also Longiness, may be entry model B & M

Assuming it is for a "male" ?

If he is a tech guy, the Tag "smart" watch could be a good idea, I think it is $1700 or so....

Justing
07-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Tough to beat a Hamilton in that price range.
Something like the Jazzmaster AutoChrono retails at $1,995

I would also suggest the Longines Conquest Classic GMT. This retails at $3,050, but I have it offered at 30% off = $2,135

Asian_defender
07-24-2018, 10:11 AM
whether he knows the brand or not, he's going to tell its a nice watch 82740
no one is going to look at that watch and think its a POS

Kg810
07-24-2018, 10:39 AM
What style of watch are you looking to get him?

I agree that Hamilton might not be the best choice if you want something with more brand presence. But if your employee isn't one to worry about sporting a particular brand, Hamilton is hard not to consider.

I would personally aim to get him an automatic, but if quartz is something you're considering maybe check out Grand Seiko quartz watches as you can find a few between $1800-$2500. I would not go with any smart luxury watches.

Buster
07-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Tough to beat a Hamilton in that price range.
Something like the Jazzmaster AutoChrono retails at $1,995

I would also suggest the Longines Conquest Classic GMT. This retails at $3,050, but I have it offered at 30% off = $2,135
Justing, the Longines might be a good choice. How big is that watch?

When I'm in for the wife's stuff, we can take a look.

Justing
07-24-2018, 11:45 AM
42mm
Sounds great!

Manhattan
07-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Not sure what you mean?

Seems like smaller companies tend to give better perks and discretionary gifts over a bigger company with lots of bureaucracy over who can spend what on gifts.

Buster
07-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Seems like smaller companies tend to give better perks and discretionary gifts over a bigger company with lots of bureaucracy over who can spend what on gifts.

I see what you mean. The group I work in is small and quite specialized and autonomous - but we are owned by a much larger institution. But I'm paying for this out of my pocket, so it's not like I have to go get approval or anything.

asp integra
07-24-2018, 12:53 PM
check out Alpina, really nice watches

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/images/2000/1659/fancybox_b238_alpina_startimer_pilot_chronograph_6.jpg
https://swissluxurywatches.ch/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AL-525NS5AQ6.png
http://www.addwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Alpina-Seastrong-Diver-300-Automatic-aBlogtoWatch-3.jpg

C4S
07-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Those Alpina are nice, where to buy them? Thx.

Nice to have some people talk about watches other than Rolex and Rolex .....lol

May be can do a "side" meeting during coffee and car! From G shock/Citizen to GS/GP/IWC to A.L/JLC/Breguet all the way to the mighty Trinity PP/VC/AP! :)

Buster
07-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Don't forget Blancpain! I want a fifty fathoms

C4S
07-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Fifty is very nice! Great value for $15-20k .. But also a bit "chicken rib" .... :eek:

Good thing is, you can buy it locally, earlier to do oil service/warranty and maintainence .....

Pacman
07-24-2018, 02:34 PM
I know these Hamilton's are $2,800 CAD MSRP. Wonder if the street price is close to 2k after a discount?

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ca/h38716731-american-classic-intra-matic-auto-chrono.html

I saw a guy wearing one a few weeks ago while eating lunch and it looked fantastic.

Justing
07-24-2018, 02:50 PM
I know these Hamilton's are $2,800 CAD MSRP. Wonder if the street price is close to 2k after a discount?

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ca/h38716731-american-classic-intra-matic-auto-chrono.html

I saw a guy wearing one a few weeks ago while eating lunch and it looked fantastic.

These are completely sold out unfortunately.

statick
07-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Fifty is very nice! Great value for $15-20k .. But also a bit "chicken rib" .... :eek:

Good thing is, you can buy it locally, earlier to do oil service/warranty and maintainence .....

Given what Blancpain has been doing for the last thirty years, it does come off as a bit of a “chicken rib”, but Blancpain was a pioneer in dive watches back in the 1950s. I find myself occasionally lusting after a Bathyscaphe as well... it’s bracelet is actually quite nice, too.

As far as the OP’s question is concerned, I think Longines easily takes the cake. It has more brand recognition than Hamilton, offers better value-for-money than TAG Heuer, and there are a number of options that fit the budget... at least after Justing hooks up the discount.

For me, the other contender might be Frederique Constant, assuming that a dress watch is desired. It’s certainly less of a household name, but the value-for-money on these is pretty solid.

rage2
07-24-2018, 03:33 PM
If the employee isn't a watch guy, walk into an Apple Store and pick up a Hermes Apple Watch for $2k. Very few people appreciate a good timepiece these days, chances are your employee will be happy/blown away by the baller status Hermes Apple Watch that took you 0 effort to decide on and purchase. Compared to you spending a boatload of time analyzing what timepiece makes the most sense as a reward, giving it to him/her, and they'd be like WTF dude I got a smartphone why the hell do I need a watch gonna put that shit on Kijiji hashtag mybossisoldasfuck.

asp integra
07-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Those Alpina are nice, where to buy them? Thx.

Nice to have some people talk about watches other than Rolex and Rolex .....lol

May be can do a "side" meeting during coffee and car! From G shock/Citizen to GS/GP/IWC to A.L/JLC/Breguet all the way to the mighty Trinity PP/VC/AP! :)

Wong Kens Jewellery in town has them

03ozwhip
07-24-2018, 06:26 PM
These are completely sold out unfortunately.

I wish I pulled the trigger on this before it sold out.

killramos
07-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Haha. Want to sleep under your desk all weekend while doing excel work?

Almost spat out my drink when I read that, love it.

I think a nice leather strap Hamilton will do the trick? Unless they are some kind of brand douche.

Buster
07-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Almost spat out my drink when I read that, love it.

I think a nice leather strap Hamilton will do the trick? Unless they are some kind of brand douche.

He's an analyst. Doesn't have bank to be a brand snob. haha. I like the look of the Longines, though.

killramos
07-24-2018, 07:02 PM
^ That does not stop some analysts...

Still sounds like he is a rockstar excel jocky, good on you for acknowledging his contributions.

googe
07-24-2018, 07:24 PM
and they'd be like WTF dude I got a smartphone why the hell do I need a watch gonna put that shit on Kijiji hashtag mybossisoldasfuck.

:werd:

Definitely don't spend any amount on a watch if the person isn't a watch nerd. If I got a $2k watch as a gift, I'd be in the awkward position of appreciating the gesture but wishing I had just been given the 2k to spend on something actually useful.

Buster
07-24-2018, 07:29 PM
That makes sense... Although I think good gifts are things that people might not just buy for themselves

killramos
07-24-2018, 07:34 PM
Its a role where having a decent watch comes with the territory, i don't think its an inappropriate gift in that sense?

Call me grandpa but i have always thought smart watches or fitbits are totally unprofessional in a work environment.

googe
07-24-2018, 07:44 PM
You could also go this route - even people not into traditional watches like gadgets:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/603229/pn/010-01989-04#

Its a role where having a decent watch comes with the territory, i don't think its an inappropriate gift in that sense?

Call me grandpa but i have always thought smart watches or fitbits are totally unprofessional in a work environment.

Hah, I'm no spring chicken but that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Maybe we just work in very different industries.

Anyway I don't think it's inappropriate, just something only appreciated by a narrow part of the population.

You can probably tell pretty quickly if it's a good fit based on what he is wearing right now. If he doesn't already wear watches, it's a safe bet he doesn't give a fuck about them, and will occasionally wear it out of guilt but wish he could sell it :rofl:

Trips can be a good option. Everybody likes guilt-free vacations on someone else's dime. Hard to put that in a box though.

bjstare
07-24-2018, 07:55 PM

All depends on the environment. I know a few people who work in a professional setting, in very senior roles, that wear smart watches despite the fact they could easily afford any other watch (within reason, not talking special $500k tourbillon shit).

killramos
07-24-2018, 08:03 PM
I know lots of people who do it all the way up the food chain, it just always rubbed me the wrong way I guess?

#millenials :rofl:

Buster
07-24-2018, 08:05 PM
I have an aversion to smart watches. People seem to think that checking a text on your smart watch is less rude than pulling out your phone. Or that you don't notice when they look down at their wrist. Ugh.

killramos
07-24-2018, 08:06 PM
I have an aversion to smart watches. People seem to think that checking a text on your smart watch is less rude than pulling out your phone. Or that you don't notice when they look down at their wrist. Ugh.

That is kindof where I am coming from on it.

Buster
07-24-2018, 08:12 PM
You could also go this route - even people not into traditional watches like gadgets:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/603229/pn/010-01989-04#

Hah, I'm no spring chicken but that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Maybe we just work in very different industries.

Anyway I don't think it's inappropriate, just something only appreciated by a narrow part of the population.

You can probably tell pretty quickly if it's a good fit based on what he is wearing right now. If he doesn't already wear watches, it's a safe bet he doesn't give a fuck about them, and will occasionally wear it out of guilt but wish he could sell it :rofl:

Trips can be a good option. Everybody likes guilt-free vacations on someone else's dime. Hard to put that in a box though.

He's the type of guy that would like a watch, I think, but he's also smart with his money, getting married, etc. Wouldn't be a priority. But he certainly sits around the table with people who like their watches. (And I don't mean me by that, I'm a pretty novice/basic watch guy compared to some people I know.)

I certainly don't look down on someone who isn't wearing a "nice timepiece", but I definitely notice when they are. And when they have a decent suit, and wear decent glasses, etc. A nice watch improves your image, like it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

That is kindof where I am coming from on it.

Smart watches are the new blackberry holster.

ercchry
07-24-2018, 08:44 PM
^^^my dad rocks his Fitbit and phone holster daily :rofl: god damn IT nerds

Watches have always had a special place as gifts in the workplace
Investment analysts usually like money, people that like money appreciate nice timepieces usually
If he puts any level of effort into his appearance (tailored suits/shirts) then he is going to want a wrist to match

This is a silly argument, and I’m pretty sure googe is in tech... so his stance makes sense

rage2
07-24-2018, 09:56 PM
I’m in tech, and I get ridiculed for my watch choices by a lot of people. Hence my comment.

FWIW my company gave me a watch for my 10 years. I appreciated that shit haha.

ercchry
07-24-2018, 09:59 PM
I’m in tech, and I get ridiculed for my watch choices by a lot of people. Hence my comment.

FWIW my company gave me a watch for my 10 years. I appreciated that shit haha.

Yeah, you’re the outlier... $$$ watches... and socks in sandals :rofl:

shakalaka
07-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Check out the Longines Hydroconquest new version. Great watch for $1500-$1600. I got a great deal on one a few months ago and picked it up for fun.

rage2
07-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Yeah, you’re the outlier... $$$ watches... and socks in sandals :rofl:
I get a lot of grief about the socks and slides at work too, although every black guy in the building has stopped me to talk about my slides collection. Even our UPS guy hangs out to watch me unbox my slides deliveries.

I would claim to be the blackest Asian around, but that title belongs to shadowz :rofl:

shadowz
07-24-2018, 10:24 PM
I get a lot of grief about the socks and slides at work too, although every black guy in the building has stopped me to talk about my slides collection. Even our UPS guy hangs out to watch me unbox my slides deliveries.

I would claim to be the blackest Asian around, but that title belongs to shadowz :rofl:
Thank you bossman

dirtsniffer
07-25-2018, 09:11 AM
beyond is so white (im super fucking white) - people still don't get it.

Buster
07-25-2018, 11:03 AM
okay, what the hell is a chicken rib?

ercchry
07-25-2018, 11:10 AM
okay, what the hell is a chicken rib?

Chinese saying... “Chicken ribs" -- Something with little interest; also signifies weakness, yet one is loth to part with it.

RX_EVOLV
07-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Lol are people in the professional work environment that judgemental on smart watches?? I have no idea! I wear my smart watch to ALL the meetings. Board meetings.. Executive meetings... team meetings.... investor meetings. I guess I also only wear jeans to all those meetings as well... i don't remember the last time I wore dress pants for work.

The Omega and Tag only come out on weekends or weddings now lol

Buster
07-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Lol are people in the professional work environment that judgemental on smart watches?? I have no idea! I wear my smart watch to ALL the meetings. Board meetings.. Executive meetings... team meetings.... investor meetings. I guess I also only wear jeans to all those meetings as well... i don't remember the last time I wore dress pants for work.

The Omega and Tag only come out on weekends or weddings now lol

what industry do you work in?

NRGie
07-25-2018, 07:30 PM
I come across a lot of DPs and GMs and their either wearing a timex/seiko/citizen and a polo with khakis or they are fully GQ'd up; fitted suits, Rolex, IWC, etc. Seems to be little in between at a dealership

Buster
08-24-2018, 11:57 PM
I ended up getting a Longines HydroConquest from Justing. Seemed to check all of the boxes.

Justing
08-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Great choice, definitely partial to it since I wear one!

EK 2.0
08-25-2018, 09:16 AM
If he is a tech guy, the Tag "smart" watch could be a good idea, I think it is $1700 or so....

I REALLY hope the OP is my boss...and if so, we talked about this Tag a few weeks back remember B Didi....hahaha....Yellow band please??....

I ended up getting a Longines HydroConquest from Justing. Seemed to check all of the boxes.

SHIT!!!!....

Sugarphreak
08-26-2018, 11:15 AM

phreezee
08-27-2018, 08:33 AM
^^ I still remember the phantom buzz on my hip as I was going through BB withdrawal.

I see lots of managers and VPs wearing iWatches. None of them use Android. Therefore using Android is unprofessional lol.

Buster
08-27-2018, 09:16 AM
Classic Killramos post, haha

They have been catching on because it is a lot more convenient to see meeting notifications, and screen for important calls while you are busy by glancing at your watch rather than pulling your phone out. Practicality for the real world is going to win out in the end.

Smart watches have made things infinitely worse. I've seen so many people with smart watches think that you somehow don't notice their watch light up, so now they can look at it. Just pull your phone out, you're not fooling anyone. So now we have a lower bar for getting distracted from the conversation at hand. People that would never dream of pulling out their phone in a convo are now getting distracted by their watch instead.

Electric cars and stupid smart watches. This planet is taking the good stuff and turning it to shit. Once they figure this fake meat out, I'm quitting this planet and going someplace better.

Sugarphreak
08-27-2018, 10:18 AM

flipstah
08-27-2018, 04:18 PM
^^ I still remember the phantom buzz on my hip as I was going through BB withdrawal.

I see lots of managers and VPs wearing iWatches. None of them use Android. Therefore using Android is unprofessional lol.

lol that's because only poor people have Android.

https://www.businessinsider.com/android-v-apple-ios-market-share-revenue-income-2014-6

Buster
08-27-2018, 04:27 PM
I think they are more polite than regular phones though

For sure they are a distraction, and nobody likes when you are talking to them and suddenly mid conversation their attention totally leaves you and it leaves an awkward moment of "do I keep talking, pause, or just walk away".

However, when somebody pulls out a giant cell phone after a loud ding to screen a new message, I find that much more intrusive and rude than somebody glancing at their watch.

Back when I was more involved on bigger projects I used to get dragged into 3 or 4 meetings a day, most of them with clients, construction, and vendors. If I got an e-mail, my watch would give a tiny buzz that nobody else could hear and I could discretely check my message to see if it was important. I was getting between 150 to 200 e-mails a day at that time, many from our construction team and workshare offices that were time sensitive, so I needed to be on top of it.

At that time smart watches hadn't really gotten popular yet, and nobody even had a clue what I was up to. Meanwhile most other guys that attended would have a crazy phone noise go off, and then they would whip out their phones and it would be totally obvious they were distracted from the meeting.

These days my watch is saving my ass with class schedules... not only as a reminder, but to tell me what and where. I don't have time to be screwing around with my phone, so it is really nice having a watch.

This is the new culture really... phones haven't been banned, they are everywhere all the time. You occasionally get HR or upper management making a stink about people staying off them, but you can't enforce it unless you are a real asshole to your staff. Even when I was doing those school courses last winter, students were all on their phones during class all the time. Socializing, researching, using apps specific to what were were doing... As long as they were not making noise teachers had grown so accustom to it they don't even care. Workplaces don't stand a chance, the future employees of the world are addicted worse than we are, haha.

The phantom buzz, hahah. I actually get that with my watch now.... is it buzzing? Check... no, not buzzing. What about now? Check, no... not now. haha

Yeah most of the ones I see in the office are iWatches. They are really obvious compared with other watches. Mine is hooked up to my BB Keyone... so it is underground professional, haha

I've had a few people get surprised that mine was a smart watch when I checked the weather. It doesn't have any knobs, you just turn the entire bezel as part of the control system. I swapped out the strap for a black chrome metal link one recently.... goes great with my amazing arm hair.

That actually looks pretty good. The watch.

Two words for you: philips bodygroom.

jaylo
08-27-2018, 04:53 PM
I would look into ORIS or TAG Heuer watches around that price.

The RADO HyperChrome Captain Cook looks appealing as well.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rado-hyperchrome-captain-cook-limited-edition-hands-on