PDA

View Full Version : Which RAID for Small Business NAS?

JfuckinC
07-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Hey guys,

Just looking for some input on what RAID i should use on my new NAS? Just replacing one that is 6 years old with something new and more powerful as we have more users accessing it these days. It's a QNAP TS-451+. Any links or personal insight is appreciated. There will be 7-8 users accessing it at some points.

Just booted it up and it's sitting on "Booting The Kernel" Is that normal? I'm 100% Clueless haha. Is that it getting the drives ready?

Thanks.

eblend
07-27-2018, 01:37 PM
Not sure if I understand the question, your RAID levels depend on number of disks and how many disks you are willing to tolerate the failure of.

RAID 5 would require at least 3 disks and would be able to tolerate 1 disk failure. Capacity in this system would be N-1
RAID 6 requires 4 disks and can tolerate 2 disk failures N-2
RAID 1 would be a mirror between two disks, can tolerate one disk failure, but only have half the capacity, so N/2
RAID 0 would be a stripe, not recommended, just treat two disks as one, capacity is Nx2

Don't know if it supports anything like RAID 1+0 or any of the other setups. I would run RAID6 probably for a small business.

Sorry if i completely misunderstood your question, never used the QNAPs but have an idea about them.

JfuckinC
07-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Not sure if I understand the question, your RAID levels depend on number of disks and how many disks you are willing to tolerate the failure of.

RAID 5 would require at least 3 disks and would be able to tolerate 1 disk failure. Capacity in this system would be N-1
RAID 6 requires 4 disks and can tolerate 2 disk failures N-2
RAID 1 would be a mirror between two disks, can tolerate one disk failure, but only have half the capacity, so N/2
RAID 0 would be a stripe, not recommended, just treat two disks as one, capacity is Nx2

Don't know if it supports anything like RAID 1+0 or any of the other setups. I would run RAID6 probably for a small business.

Sorry if i completely misunderstood your question, never used the QNAPs but have an idea about them.

I have 4-4TB Disks in the NAS, Sorry i should have mentioned that!

revelations
07-27-2018, 01:56 PM
I have 4-4TB Disks in the NAS, Sorry i should have mentioned that!

I would RAID 5 + online backups (Amazon Glacier for eg.) for (SMB) business purpose. Highly unlikely that you would blow 2 drives simultaneously.

If this was setup in a remote environment (where you couldn't access it easily) RAID 6 (eg. Camp)

JfuckinC
07-27-2018, 02:07 PM
I would RAID 5 + online backups (Amazon Glacier for eg.) for business purpose. Highly unlikely that you would blow 2 drives simultaneously.

If this was setup in a remote environment (where you couldn't access it easily) RAID 6 (eg. Camp)

Man, i tried figuring out the amazon online backup for my old one but it was so confusing.. i'll try again on this new one for sure. I think my old one was RAID 5.

colsankey
07-27-2018, 02:09 PM
Would agree to raid 5 and either online, or a rotating backup if your sensitive about the data being online.

Lots of ways to do it, but a single 12 TB disk is ~$559 and would hold everything on your 4x4TB array. and give you a backup in case of fire/theft/etc.
You could do a single backup and then store it offsite after the backups done, or have incremental's done to it at a remote location.

As for the boot process, never owned a QNAP so not entirely sure. There's typically a utility you install on your desktop to browse the different NAS's available on your subnet and manage them, as they typically boot using DHCP, and default credentials.
FYI, in ~10 years of having mid range NAS enclosures, I've probably lost 6 if the original 9 disks, but never at one time..

JfuckinC
07-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Would agree to raid 5 and either online, or a rotating backup if your sensitive about the data being online.

Lots of ways to do it, but a single 12 TB disk is ~$559 and would hold everything on your 4x4TB array. and give you a backup in case of fire/theft/etc.
You could do a single backup and then store it offsite after the backups done, or have incremental's done to it at a remote location.

As for the boot process, never owned a QNAP so not entirely sure. There's typically a utility you install on your desktop to browse the different NAS's available on your subnet and manage them, as they typically boot using DHCP, and default credentials.
FYI, in ~10 years of having mid range NAS enclosures, I've probably lost 6 if the original 9 disks, but never at one time..

I have Qfinder(the utility for seeing the NAS on the network), but the unit has it's own OS so i have screen plugged in for the initial boot.

I've never even lost a disk in 6 years! that's why im upgrading now and want to do online backup as well. my luck has to be thinning.

Xtrema
07-27-2018, 03:09 PM
4TB slow SATA drive is probably the biggest drive I would go with 1 parity (RAID5).

I have loss more than 1 drive in a RAID5 set due to bad firmware. Never say never, it's why you need backup on top.

The_Penguin
07-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Industry standard in the corporate world these days is RAID 10.
Better performance, faster rebuild, no chance of a URE causing a complete array loss during a rebuild.

JfuckinC
08-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys..

This thing still wont boot though, i have a ticket in with QNAP Support, they were helpful last time i had an issue.

it just says this:

0 early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
Booting the kernel.

I let it sit over night and nothing happened... Anyone know wtf that means? lol

revelations
08-01-2018, 11:18 AM
https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=32525 ?

You could be looking at a power supply failure or possibly internal board component fail. All of these are fixable though.

JfuckinC
08-01-2018, 11:34 AM
https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=32525 ?

You could be looking at a power supply failure or possibly internal board component fail. All of these are fixable though.

It's brand new though... By power supply failure, would that mean it's just not getting enough juice?