PDA

View Full Version : need nanny-mobile recommendations

Buster
07-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Our nanny uses her own vehicle for moving our kids around (that was part of the deal). But it's a 2006 MAzda3 with 250k on it. So I'm a bit unhappy with the safety aspects, and general reliability.

So we're thinking about adding a car to the fleet which she can use for her duties. We'd leave the car at our house, she would get there, and then use the car.

But I have no idea what to get. Was thinking something 2-3 years old, maybe with some warranty. This isn't something I'm going to drive or use, so luxury isn't important. Safety and practicality are paramount, however. I don't have a specific budget, but it looks like $12k - $15k buys you some good cars. I was tihnking something like a Honda Fit or a Versa.

Has anyone been shopping in this space that can recommend something?

shakalaka
07-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Aren't Volvo's up there in safety ratings if that's the main concern?

Buster
07-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Aren't Volvo's up there in safety ratings if that's the main concern?

Ya, I meant more in the subcompact, economy car class. I think they're all probably equivalent.

TomcoPDR
07-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Vw gti

ExtraSlow
07-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Depending on size of kids, careseat and stroller situation, those may be too small. When I had a nanny, let her drive our odessey.

max_boost
07-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Vw gti

Too baller for thE nanny but i'd suggest the base Golf

Buster
07-29-2018, 07:11 PM
Depending on size of kids, careseat and stroller situation, those may be too small. When I had a nanny, let her drive our odessey.

Our kids are out of car seats. We even let our 9 year old ride in front. So we can go pretty compact and get all three kids in. Our 4th spot in the garage isn't full size either.

ExtraSlow
07-29-2018, 07:13 PM
Cool, being out of car seats makes everything better. Mine are finally both in boosters, and that's a big help by itself.

Honda Fit. Spend 15k, get something practical, reliable, and decently fun to drive of your three main cars are in the shop.

/thread.

adam c
07-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Mazda 5? Seems like the ultimate nanny mobile

ee2k
07-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Our nanny uses her own vehicle for moving our kids around (that was part of the deal). But it's a 2006 MAzda3 with 250k on it. So I'm a bit unhappy with the safety aspects, and general reliability.

So we're thinking about adding a car to the fleet which she can use for her duties. We'd leave the car at our house, she would get there, and then use the car.

But I have no idea what to get. Was thinking something 2-3 years old, maybe with some warranty. This isn't something I'm going to drive or use, so luxury isn't important. Safety and practicality are paramount, however. I don't have a specific budget, but it looks like $12k - $15k buys you some good cars. I was tihnking something like a Honda Fit or a Versa.

Has anyone been shopping in this space that can recommend something?

How does insurance work out for a car that you buy but let someone else use? Is there special insurance you need to get in order to have her use it for her duties? Work related insurance? How does this insure your kids in the event of an accident? Also, what's the safety standards for the Honda Fit and the Versa you speak of?

ExtraSlow
07-29-2018, 07:48 PM
How does insurance work out for a car that you buy but let someone else use? Is there special insurance you need to get in order to have her use it for her duties? Work related insurance? How does this insure your kids in the event of an accident? Also, what's the safety standards for the Honda Fit and the Versa you speak of?

The insurance isn't complex. It's a simple add-on, or it was when we did it.

killramos
07-29-2018, 07:52 PM
G class?

Buster
07-29-2018, 08:28 PM
G class?

was going to go with hot pink bentley...unless someone comes up with a better idea.

killramos
07-29-2018, 08:30 PM
How cheap can those golf sport wagons be had for?

Practical, awd, safe as they come.

SkiBum5.0
07-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Used Outback/Impreza might be a good, cheap, safe option as well.

rage2
07-30-2018, 08:03 AM
Toyota RAV4 is the Civic of nanny cars.

NissanFanBoy
07-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Before buying my first house, in order to clear cars off my line of credit, I bought 2 2004 Mazda 3s, drove them while they were in their mid 200,000s km... they're pretty reliable cars, I'm not aware of any catastrophic problems, I'd buy one again if I needed a cheap reliable car.

Can't really comment on their safety ratings but they're pretty modern cars and in an era where most cars were...

dirtsniffer
07-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Minivan.. great people hauler.

craigcd
08-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Minivan.. great people hauler.

I would agree with this. You aren't driving it anyway so why not get something a little bit bigger like a Sienna.

I keep on eyeing up Fit's for a commuter but they seem so small for some reason(right or wrong and with no evidence) I question how they would hold up in a accident.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2018, 05:06 PM
If only someone would publish crash test data for various automobiles!!!!

Alas, all we can do is guess.

craigcd
08-07-2018, 05:17 PM
If only someone would publish crash test data for various automobiles!!!!

Alas, all we can do is guess.

They publish this INFO? WOW!

Without pulling the safety tests if I am commuting I feel safer in a larger vehicle so that would contribute to my decision is all I am saying.

Would you rather be in your "GM trailer puller" or your "Fit" in an accident against another truck? Pretty sure you don't need to pull test data to make that decision.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Yeah, weird thing is, my kids spend a lot more time in the Fit then the big truck. I dunno, I feel safest in vehicles that are most able to avoid collisions. That fit is amazing.

If I was driving my family around drunk and not able to avoid obstacles, I'd probably choose the truck.

C4S
08-08-2018, 12:41 AM
How does the insurance work? Put the nanny into your policy? or her own policy? Or just take a chance to use your policy? Or use as business policy?

:confused::confused:

ExtraSlow
08-08-2018, 08:36 AM
How does the insurance work? Put the nanny into your policy? or her own policy? Or just take a chance to use your policy? Or use as business policy?

:confused::confused:

You can ask your broker, but I believe all I had to do with mine was to add her as a named additional driver. It was no big deal.