PDA

View Full Version : "Call before you dig" Concrete patio

R!zz0
07-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Hey all,

For 800 sqft of concrete patio, do i need to call city and let them know? Couple people told me you only call city if the concrete slab is more than 6 inches thick. If i do mine it'll be 3 or 3 and a half inches.

Thanks

lasimmon
07-31-2018, 08:39 AM
Do you mean Alberta One-Call? Or the City for some other reason?

http://albertaonecall.com/homeowners/

stillworking
07-31-2018, 07:26 PM
To protect yourself, it's probably a good idea to call for locates.

I've seen a concrete form pin driven right into a IP gas line downtown (6") and also townhouses on fire from a ruptured gas line due to landscaping.

Your shallow utilities should be at least 3' deep but you never know.

There are also regulations regarding what you can and can't do on top of utility lines and URW's.

Not sure on permits.

mr2mike
08-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Call alberta one call. It's free and you suddenly tag something improperly placed below the surface, you'll regret it.

Hmm I wonder what you can't do? I believe my garage is overtop of my gas line. Only know this because they had to directionally drill to replace that line last year.
Garage is from 1950 something though.

88CRX
08-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Speaking of your 'on site' utilities that Alberta One Call will mark, have any of you planted trees over top of the lines? I'd understand that if the lines need to be repaired the trees would have to come out but are there any concerns with an RPR or utility right of ways?