PDA

View Full Version : transforming my car in to an autox capable car

Impreza
10-03-2002, 02:30 PM
like the title says...what should i do to my car to make it into a a autox worth car?? i drive a 98 civic hb, so no point in trying to make it fast in a straight line...

speedracer
10-03-2002, 02:33 PM
What class do you want to run in?

Rules:
www.cnacsolo.ca

Really the place for such info should be posted on the CSCC (Calgary Sports Car Club) web board.

CSCC Board (http://cscc.speedracer.ca)

rage2
10-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Next year's championship is going to be run on the PAX scoring, so you'd be pretty competitive by staying in stock class and slapping on a set of R compound tires. If you start modding your car, you'll get bumped down to the SP classes, which means you won't be competitive unless you take advantage of all mods available in that class.

If you're looking at improving your raw times and not trying to win the championship, here's the order of mods I'd do (ordered by what cuts the most time) :

- R compound tires
- Weight Reduction
- Suspension
- Brakes
- Power Adding

Other hints, talk to people. You learn a lot about tire pressure tweaking, suspension settings, etc. from just talking to most competitors there. Everyone's very helpful. Good luck!

midship
10-03-2002, 04:04 PM
I think PAX is so unfair! :thumbsdow I took a peek on the PAX time... 2 sec difference between ASS and ES translate to >4 sec difference.... To make it even the ASS car has to run >2.0 sec just to get even. :dunno:

buh_buh
10-03-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by midship
I think PAX is so unfair! :thumbsdow I took a peek on the PAX time... 2 sec difference between ASS and ES translate to >4 sec difference.... To make it even the ASS car has to run >2.0 sec just to get even. :dunno:
yeah, but isn't the PAX made so that it is MORE fair? I think its more fair than if they just ran everyone straight up with no corrections.

rage2
10-03-2002, 05:45 PM
At first, I thought PAX was unfair because my poor little SLK 320 was classed with S2000's, Boxsters, cars that are lighter and more powerful. Then I got some R compounds and the last few events I've placed consistently in the top 3 overall. So I believe the PAX system works well =).

Of course there are some exceptions, there will be cars that are better PAX index'ed than others, but it's impossible to generate a perfect index that will be perfect for every car.

speedracer
10-03-2002, 09:22 PM
PAX is not perfect but by far the better system IMO. What's the fun in having local bragging rights. It's not very competitive for those on top - it's not fun racing against yourself? Would you not want to know how you would comapre to the rest of NA?

It's like have a playing field to compare with everyone.

midship
10-03-2002, 11:04 PM
Since you guys have much more experience than me I will take your word for it! ;) Stock to stock I am in AS class with S2000 and boxster too... and just because of the intake mod I am in ASS along with AMG SLK32.... Maybe I should look into a S2000 and run AS instead...."S2000" yummy :drool:
Either way I need to work harder! :D

rage2
10-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Since you guys have much more experience than me I will take your word for it! ;) Stock to stock I am in AS class with S2000 and boxster too... and just because of the intake mod I am in ASS along with AMG SLK32.... Maybe I should look into a S2000 and run AS instead...."S2000" yummy :drool:
Either way I need to work harder! :D

I don't have much more experience than you... I just started this year :D. You should take the intake out, and go back to stock. Slap on a set of R's, and learn from there.

Impreza
10-03-2002, 11:30 PM
so where do i find all this info to see what class i will be in?? so if i get any kind of upgrade, i will be in a higher class?? what if i just get new tires, and suspension stuff?

midship
10-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by rage2

You should take the intake out, and go back to stock. Slap on a set of R's, and learn from there.

I have to think about that since this is my "weekly" driver too :D As much as I like to be competitive, I would like to explore the dynamic of my car with street tires. R compound will probably gives me a 2 second improvement, however I think to drive with a lower limit tire/traction will help me improve faster. :D :confused:

To think about it, the PAX system may be good afterall since I know I didn't even bring out 80% of the car limit... Need to fix the nut behind the wheel first :rofl:

Impreza: try www.cscc.ab.ca and look for the Solo2 rules... or try www.scca.org. there is a list of car classification and modification allow for each class. Hope that's help. Better still just ask speedracer or 4wheeldrift. They are daman! :thumbsup:

rage2
10-04-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
so where do i find all this info to see what class i will be in?? so if i get any kind of upgrade, i will be in a higher class?? what if i just get new tires, and suspension stuff?

Stock class basically only allows you to change tires, maybe +1 sized wheels. You can reduce some weight (take out passenger seat), change brake pad material, but you're very limited in what you can do before you get bumped into SP. Once you're in SP, you'll need a lot of know how and mods to be competitive.

As a rookie, I'd recommend starting in stock class to learn the car, improve driving skills, etc. before moving to a SP class. Once you have a year under your belt in stock, you should possess enough skills and knowledge to properly mod, setup and be competitive in a SP car.

speedracer
10-04-2002, 06:42 PM
... and just because of the intake mod I am in ASS along with AMG SLK32....

A little incorrect. The SLK 32 (AMG) run ins Super Sport beside the M3 and a few other. You would be classed under A/SS - Super Stock.

Relavent infomation is found on:
www.cscc.ca (OFFICAL source)
Rules and classification is found there.

CSCC Forum:
http://cscc.speedracer.ca

For Information Only look at
www.scca.org
(LOOK ONLY as our rules are not the same. While the class structure is the same but SP and MOD are quite different)

speedracer
10-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Stock class basically only allows you to change tires, maybe +1 sized wheels.

Stock class is one of the most competitive areas (give a quick glance at SCCA events and you'll see it's either Stock or Mod / SP that has the highest entrants). There are many ways to tweak your vehical for the most potential gain.

Many folks just jump to the gun and try and go all out. It's a big misconception that in order to be fast you need to have a fast car.... don't buy into that as I'm sure all the speed shops would like you to spend $$.

Read the rule book carefully.. such as did you know stock you may bore out stock heads to a certain number...(no one ever reads through the book and it's filled with many options).

On the CSCC forum I will have soon a guide line / FAQ as soon as I get together with the racing freaks and hammer out what to write.

In short - stick with stock a few years and learn. I use to know a grocery getter wagon that would come out be competitive up to the super stock level - such as fastest time of the day....

o it's not the car - It's the DRIVER.