PDA

View Full Version : Build critique

Pages : [1] 2

KRyn
07-31-2018, 03:36 PM
Anyone have any interest in double checking what components I have selected?

Mitsu3000gt
07-31-2018, 03:47 PM
Anyone know someone who works at MemEx N.E? They are the only store in Calgary that has all the parts in stock for my new build.

Also anyone have any interest in double checking what components I have selected?

I don't know anyone good a Memex anymore now that Hakkola quit, but I'd be happy to critique the parts list.

revelations
07-31-2018, 08:10 PM
Anyone know someone who works at MemEx N.E? They are the only store in Calgary that has all the parts in stock for my new build.

Also anyone have any interest in double checking what components I have selected?

mem ex does this as well if you order online - just add to the comments "please check compatbility"

However - if you need to tweak the build for price optimized use in a certain instance, please post the parts here.

KRyn
07-31-2018, 08:43 PM
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qrYRgw

Plan is to use my 970 until next gen cards drop. Have been running an over clocked 2700k up until now. Plan to keep my next processor for hopefully as long.

revelations
07-31-2018, 08:51 PM
You havent mentioned the primary/secondary usage of the system. For eg. I am building a system that should max out customized /modded versions of GTAV at 1080p with ultra realism turned on.

KRyn
07-31-2018, 09:24 PM
You havent mentioned the primary/secondary usage of the system. For eg. I am building a system that should max out customized /modded versions of GTAV at 1080p with ultra realism turned on.

Gaming mainly and chopping up and editing GoPro videos are the main uses. Currently gaming at 1080p, no real interest in 4k.

Gman.45
07-31-2018, 11:03 PM
I have 2 8700k and a 6850 gaming station we're going to upgrade too, I'm just waiting for the new cpu and MBs (9900k and the new 1180/whatever too), to kill all birds with a couple stones. Your build looks very solid though, I have many of the same components, including the cooler and m.2s. I know everyone says not to bother with 32gb of ram, but I ran into a program recently that greatly benefits from using 32 over 16 especially in VR, just be sure nothing you play/use has a similar increase in performance with the RAM increase. If you aren't into VR, I think 16gb should be fine, just consider that is all if you ARE into VR, or plan to be, especially with driving/cockpit games, where I've noticed a significant improvement with more ram.

For your stated purpose, 8700k will be really good for you, I've been using the same for a year now, great cpu/platform for the $ - if the new 9700/9900k chips were coming out in early q4 2018 I'd say wait for those for sure, but it looks like they're being pushed to 2019 as of the rumor/news today.

KRyn
08-01-2018, 07:55 AM
For your stated purpose, 8700k will be really good for you, I've been using the same for a year now, great cpu/platform for the $ - if the new 9700/9900k chips were coming out in early q4 2018 I'd say wait for those for sure, but it looks like they're being pushed to 2019 as of the rumor/news today.

Hmmm... Maybe I do want to wait?

https://wccftech.com/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-core-x-refresh-cpu-family-october-launch/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-leaked-roadmap-i9-9900k-q1-2019-launch

https://segmentnext.com/2018/08/01/9th-generation-intel-coffee-lake-s/

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Sorry I just saw your PM now so I might as well reply here.

CPU: Wait for 9900K if you can - stay on top of rumors for release dates. Not only will it have a soldered IHS (FINALLY - even $200 Ryzens have this), but you should be able to easily get all 8 cores at 5GHz which will be awesome especially for the video editing you want to do.

Cooler: That is a good cooler if you are planning a big OC. Otherwise I would consider a Noctua NH-D15 which outperforms a 240mm AIO and you won't have to ever replace your AIO or risk a leak (their anti-corrosion additives wear off over time). Either would be fine depending on what your end game is, that is a great AIO if you go that route with a big OC or don't like the aesthetics of air.

Mobo: I would wait for the Z390 chipset and 9900K. I am an Asus fan as they usually have better VRMs and BIOS but you need to look at every board individually. If you are planning a crazy OC with that 360mm cooler, I would get the mobo with the beefiest VRMs you can find which is probably an Asus ROG/Maximus. In this case it looks like the AORUS 7 is also an excellent board.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99753

RAM: You might want 32GB if you do a lot of video editing and if you keep your computer for a long time. That is good RAM, as is Trident Z if you need an alternative - they use Samsung DIMMS, have great compatibility and OC well. Looks like you're going for aesthetics anyway with the RGB :bigpimp::bigpimp: 3200Mhz is the sweet spot for sure. If you go with 8GB DIMMS you can make up your mind later but those CPUs do not support quad channel RAM.

SSD: 970 EVO is the no-brainer SSD right now. I would have picked the same. No need for larger than 512GB IMO unless you play tons of huge game all at once. Make sure your mobo still has a full bandwidth PCI-E 3.0X4 slot available after any additional drives are connected or you won't get max speed on that SSD. Additional storage where speed isn't a priority is so cheap it's almost unbelievable so I wouldn't go 1TB if you don't absolutely need it for applications/games.

Case: If you want a better case that is also sound deadened, go with the Fractal Design R6. Higher quality, tons of room/options and similar price if not cheaper. It's available with a window too if you want.

PSU: EVGA's G3 PSUs are arguably the best on the market right now. They are made by SuperFlower and use their Leadex II platform which is basically industry standard and get near perfect scoring from JohnnyGuru. Great choice.

GPU: Definitely wait until August 20th and either go with an 11 series or get a deal on a 10 series.

Going to be a beast of a system :thumbsup:

---------------------

I bought another high end system back in June and dealing with MemEx was an absolute chore. First they had a look at all my price beats and made a big deal about probably not being able to do any of them (they ended up all working, unsurprisingly). They also made me physically write down all my price beats on one of their sheets because my PC Part Picker printout wasn't good enough for them. I then had to argue about IPR for 10 minutes with someone obviously so desperate for commission that all logic went out the window. Finally they tried to tell me that my cooler choice was inadequate and the CPU would "run faster" with a water cooler at base clocks without OC :facepalm: . I eventually got everything I wanted at the end of it all but I was there well over an hour. If I didn't need the PC in short order I would have walked out and gone to a different location. They also wouldn't install W10 for me (even though I was paying them for it) unless I bought one of their copies.

Gman.45
08-01-2018, 11:18 AM
https://wccftech.com/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-core-x-refresh-cpu-family-october-launch/

Rumor for today is Oct this year for the new i9/i7 cpus. I'd wait in your spot Kryn, what's a couple months to get the newest tech coming out. Everything I've read (rumors) show it should be worth the wait and that the cost won't be outrageous for the i9 9900k. I plan on building 2, and hope that the new 1180/whatever is out by then as well, and will buy 3 of those cards and sit on them for the i9 builds, and just run them in my current 8700k systems. Again, your build is solid either way IMO, all decent components. I almost left my regular Asus ROG MB and tried that Aurus MB, but didn't, and am running Asus Max Heros. The lighting on the Aurus is really nice, I saw one running in the shop. Gigabyte makes really good quality components, had a couple of their 1080ti cards before, and they were excellent.

Agree regarding the PSU, Seasonic (harder to find around here) or eVGA is what I'd buy, we have 3 eVGA 1300 G2 that we got in 2016 and are powering our 3 systems, still ticking along perfectly, and that's running SLI 1080ti and TitanXP cards and lots of drives per system. Seasonic builds some of Corsair's PSUs, you just have to research them, but the eVGA is probably as good or better now anyway, despite the "bulletproof" rep Seasonic has.

What monitor are you using? If you don't have a 144hz unit, IMO budget for and get one, even for 1080p, it makes a massive difference in all types of gaming. I prefer the IPS units, I've been using the Asus/Acer Gsync 27 and 34" units for our 3 systems, and just got the 4k 144hz Asus pg27UQ last week. Yes, it cost three thousand dollars with the warranty extended for 2 years. Yes, it's worth every dime IMO. Still, you don't need to go that overboard to see a huge increase from 60hz gaming, there are tons of sub 400 dollar options around for 27" 144hz LCDs.

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Agree regarding the PSU, Seasonic (harder to find around here) or eVGA is what I'd buy, we have 3 eVGA 1300 G2 that we got in 2016 and are powering our 3 systems, still ticking along perfectly, and that's running SLI 1080ti and TitanXP cards and lots of drives per system. Seasonic builds some of Corsair's PSUs, you just have to research them, but the eVGA is probably as good or better now anyway, despite the "bulletproof" rep Seasonic has.

The Corsair AX line are the only ones that are high-end Seasonic designs. Every other Corsair model (AXi, RM, HXi, HX, CX, etc. etc.) are Flextronics, Channel Well Technology, or Great Wall OEMs. The Corsair/Seasonic AX line is equal to the Superflower Leadex II's in EVGA's "3" series units. I have an AX860 because the EVGA G3's were sold out everywhere in the city when I did my build, but the EVGA G3's are cheaper with a better warranty (10 yrs vs 7) for a similar quality product. I had an old EVGA P2 PSU fail on me and they overnighted me a new one over Christmas - you cannot beat that customer service, and it's faster than Memex's often worthless IPR.

KRyn
08-01-2018, 12:23 PM
That settles it, I will wait for next generation CPU and GPUs. I will likely get you both to go over my build whenever launches.

As you are both ASUS enthusiasts, what is their best board (from the ROG series) for overclocking that isn't loaded with unnecessary features? Dual M.2 seems valuable to me. I assume When I was comparing ASUS boards with the Aorus 7 it seemed like the closest comparable board was nearly $100 more (ROG Apex?). I picked the Aorus 7 for its high end VRMs and ability to over clock extremely easy. Thus my wanting the X72, also I have giant ass Phanteks on my current CPU and it is ugly and clutters my case. The AIO coolers look so much cleaner. With how well cases are designed and all the RGB lameness I want to make my next rig look good as well.

I looked for Seasonic but it doesn't look like Memory Express carries that brand. Good to know I picked the next best thing.

What monitor are you using? If you don't have a 144hz unit, IMO budget for and get one, even for 1080p, it makes a massive difference in all types of gaming. I prefer the IPS units, I've been using the Asus/Acer Gsync 27 and 34" units for our 3 systems, and just got the 4k 144hz Asus pg27UQ last week. Yes, it cost three thousand dollars with the warranty extended for 2 years. Yes, it's worth every dime IMO. Still, you don't need to go that overboard to see a huge increase from 60hz gaming, there are tons of sub 400 dollar options around for 27" 144hz LCDs.

Currently have a 24" 144hz monitor, would like to get another or maybe 27" in the future. But again, 1080p gaming is all I am after right now. Jeebus, your current setups are insane and future ones sound crazier. Do you find value in upgrading every time a new series drops? Do you just sell all of your used equipment as soon as you upgrade? I guess it is still worth top dollar and not an antique like my 2700k.

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2018, 01:53 PM
I looked for Seasonic but it doesn't look like Memory Express carries that brand. Good to know I picked the next best thing.

You can find the odd Seasonic model on Newegg sometimes but Canadian Seasonic selection is essentially zero (other than Corsiar AX series which are easy to find). EVGA G3's are top notch, you aren't making any sacrifice there at all and if anything goes wrong you're covered. Like I said, the only reason I have an AX860 (which is an equally outstanding PSU) was the G3's were out of stock haha. I got a good price beat on it too. They actually make a pretty cheap fully modular PSU that surprisingly is available in Canada that I am going to use in an upcoming Mini ITX Ryzen 2400G build but would not be suitable for yours (https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10592396&PID=3938566&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker%2C+LLC)

The best Asus boards for overclocking are also usually loaded with features as well, you can't really buy a board with their best VRMs and VRM cooling without all the fanfare.

From what I have read that Aorus 7 actually has the best VRMs for the money, but the best VRMs are on the Asus ROG MAXIMUS Series. All the boards you are looking at will easily sustain a 5Ghz OC or similar, but the better boards have bigger heatsinks and will have lower VRM temps. It's probably not a big deal unless you want to spend the extra cash.

It might be different with the X390 boards if you wait for the 9900K but Asus usually has the best VRM design if you are willing to pay for it. The MAXIMUS HERO is the cheapest way into that product line.

Basically these are the threads you will want to follow and pour through:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1638955-z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread-134.html

The ROG APEX and HERO both have very good temps and the APEX is apparently better if you want to do high RAM OC but you're looking at $440 for the APEX which is getting up there. If you aren't going to do any crazy 24/7 OC you're probably just fine with the Aorus 7 which is a good value all things considered.

I am running an Asus TUF Mark 1 for my main X299 build and I got my 7820X to OC to 4.7Ghz on all cores on my first try with no issues or crazy temps. It stays under 70C under load with a Noctua NH-D15. The Asus Rampage boards are like $700 so I went mid/upper-tier and it was totally fine.

Gman.45
08-01-2018, 03:31 PM
I ran the Sabertooth MB on my x99 builds, TUF boards are great, so are the ROG and the Aurus, you can't really go wrong with either depending on what features you need or want.

I ran Noctua D14 on my 5930k builds a few gens back, great air coolers, a bit loud when cranked up, but with headphones I don't really care about that anyway. I had a phobia about AIO coolers, after having a big catastrophe with a custom look h20 failure once, but so far so good with the 3 we're running right now.

Kryn, I just cycle our gaming systems whenever a big new CPU or GPU platform comes out, usually every 2 years right now, but it's been as short as 1 year and as long as 3 since 2010, since we've had 3 PC gaming stations wherever we call home, plus a couple gaming laptops. My nephews and nieces were in constant battle over using our gaming system, which limited my own time on them when we had the kids, so we just built 2 more pretty much identical (in performance at least) systems, and just upgrade them along the way. We either give away the upgraded parts/systems, sometimes sell them like in the case of the 4 1080 cards we had as they were still worth about 2500 bucks for all 4 when we upgraded to the ti/Titan cards. One thing I won't be doing again for the foreseeable future is going SLI. SLI is dead IMO, which sucks, as I was a long time 2/3 gpu builder, but there just seems to be no point, especially since with both the Rift/Vive and Odyssey VR units, SLI doesn't even have supporting profiles for when VR headsets are in use. I hope that changes in the future, and that game builders and nvidia will support SLI again in a way that makes it conducive to spending 2 or 3x on GPUs, but for now, no way.

The used market on various sites in Canada is fairly lively, I've had no trouble selling/shipping stuff like the 3 Vives we sold off or the GPUs and MB/CPUs in the past when I chose to do so. Canadian Hardware Swap on the reddits, a few other sites like HardwareCanucks, etc, I've had good luck selling there.

msommers
08-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Keep this thread updated when the time comes please, Ken. It'll help future noobs builders like me as a point of reference:)

schocker
08-01-2018, 08:48 PM
The AIO coolers look so much cleaner. With how well cases are designed and all the RGB lameness I want to make my next rig look good as well.

What you do is you start with an AIO, and then you end up going all out and doing a custom cpu/gpu loop for way more than you think you will spend :rofl:

You could save some money if you want an AIO on a 240 as that is more than enough for just a CPU. Rule of thumb is kind of 120 mm of fan for cpu or gpu with an additional 120 mm if you are overclocking, so CPU 120 mm, overclocked 240 mm etc.

Also, if you want to get an 11xx nvidia card without paying an early premium you can always pre-order the founders editions straight from nvidia. They do have blower style coolers though which get quite loud due to single fan at high rpm. I bought mine that was as I was water cooling anyways.

KRyn
08-02-2018, 11:18 AM
What you do is you start with an AIO, and then you end up going all out and doing a custom cpu/gpu loop for way more than you think you will spend :rofl:

You could save some money if you want an AIO on a 240 as that is more than enough for just a CPU. Rule of thumb is kind of 120 mm of fan for cpu or gpu with an additional 120 mm if you are overclocking, so CPU 120 mm, overclocked 240 mm etc.

Also, if you want to get an 11xx nvidia card without paying an early premium you can always pre-order the founders editions straight from nvidia. They do have blower style coolers though which get quite loud due to single fan at high rpm. I bought mine that was as I was water cooling anyways.

Been there, done that and never again. Had a custom loop on my 2700k that leaked and destroyed my graphics card at the time. Thus I went to the big ugly Phanteks cooler. Plan is for ridiculous over clock, thus Kraken X72.

After some more research it appears as though the OEM blower style cards aren't worth it in a larger case with good air flow. I will likely pull the trigger on a 1070 equivalent card in the 11XX series. I can never justify going all out and getting the top of like 1k cards.

Gman.45How do you justify buying the 1080ti (plural) and Titan cards? The fact that you sold a 1080 to upgrade to a 1080ti is crazy.

msommers Will do, I am going at this with the buy once, cry once mentality. Hopefully I can get at least 5+ years out of my next computer.

Gman.45
08-03-2018, 04:19 AM
@Gman.45 How do you justify buying the 1080ti (plural) and Titan cards? The fact that you sold a 1080 to upgrade to a 1080ti is crazy.

Since I started online gaming back in the Quake2/Starcraft/Rainbow6 days, I've always made sure to have the very latest hardware, and have always cycled/upgraded as soon as possible when new tech comes out. Always, for 20 years now - longer as I was into PC gaming back in the 286 days in the very early 90s, and always bought the newest 386, then 486 PCs, and super VGA monitors, etc. I made decent $ my working life, and inherited a lot more, but even when I was making only 50k for a couple years in my early 20s, I still never compromised on PC gaming as it was one of my 3 big hobbies.

I have $1500 worth of flight sim controllers for each PC from Virpil and VKB, and 3 Rifts, (sold 3 Vives), and 3 Samsung Odysseys. That's not counting all the headsets, dacs, mechanical keyboards, etc I've collected and bought over the years, plus an example of every flight hotas ever made, and several of some of them like the TM Warthogs. Then add in 1100-3000$ LCD Gsync panels for 3 systems - should give you the picture of how little a deal it is to sell off 4 1080s in 3 machines and move them up to the newest cards, 3 tis and the latest Titan. I drew the line at the $3000 Titan V as it has no advantage in gaming over the other cards. If it had 20 or 30% improvement, I'd buy them, but it doesn't, so I haven't, and am waiting for the 1180 and new 9900 like I said.

The_Rural_Juror
08-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Since I started online gaming back in the Quake2/Starcraft/Rainbow6 days, I've always made sure to have the very latest hardware, and have always cycled/upgraded as soon as possible when new tech comes out. Always, for 20 years now - longer as I was into PC gaming back in the 286 days in the very early 90s, and always bought the newest 386, then 486 PCs, and super VGA monitors, etc. I made decent $ my working life, and inherited a lot more, but even when I was making only 50k for a couple years in my early 20s, I still never compromised on PC gaming as it was one of my 3 big hobbies.

I have $1500 worth of flight sim controllers for each PC from Virpil and VKB, and 3 Rifts, (sold 3 Vives), and 3 Samsung Odysseys. That's not counting all the headsets, dacs, mechanical keyboards, etc I've collected and bought over the years, plus an example of every flight hotas ever made, and several of some of them like the TM Warthogs. Then add in 1100-3000$ LCD Gsync panels for 3 systems - should give you the picture of how little a deal it is to sell off 4 1080s in 3 machines and move them up to the newest cards, 3 tis and the latest Titan. I drew the line at the $3000 Titan V as it has no advantage in gaming over the other cards. If it had 20 or 30% improvement, I'd buy them, but it doesn't, so I haven't, and am waiting for the 1180 and new 9900 like I said.

That is some serious hardware to play leisure suit larry.

Gman.45
08-04-2018, 12:48 PM
That is some serious hardware to play leisure suit larry.

Hah, hadn't thought of that game in a long, long time.

DCS/Digital combat simulator, probably the biggest resource hog of any PC game - IE I get 45fps or less in VR with a 8700k running at nearly 5.0 and a Titan with the Odyssey headset. Worse when playing PvP online, struggle to keep that 45fps when lots is going on.

Lots of news about the new x399 motherboards released in the last day, some pretty decent boards from Asus/MSI have had their details released, Gigabyte as well, the new Aurus looks fantastic. Lots of great options from several brands coming.

The_Rural_Juror
08-04-2018, 02:05 PM
DCS looks pretty cool!

I just built a Ryzen 7 with a 1080 on an Aorus. Working well so far.

KRyn
08-07-2018, 12:32 PM

As an early adopter of new cards and processors, do you have any strategies or suggestions how I can guarantee I get a 9900k or 1180 graphics card when they are released for sale?

Mitsu3000gt
08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
As an early adopter of new cards and processors, do you have any strategies or suggestions how I can guarantee I get a 9900k or 1180 graphics card when they are released for sale?

I don't think they will be that hard to get. The 9900K will be then new mainstream CPU for gamers and even some content creators - everyone is going to order lots of stock. With the bitcoin mining craze long past its prime, I also don't think it'll be that hard to get a 1180/2080 - the consumer market isn't overly strong for $1000 GPUs at least from what I've seen - and I think a lot of people will be waiting for the 1170/2070 as it's rumored to be faster than the current 1080. I've bought brand new top-end hardware at or around release many times and have never had any significant issues with stock. You could always call Memory Express and see if they can put your name down, I'm not even sure if they do that.

The 9-series CPUs will also work in the X370 boards with a Bios update, so there shouldn't be any mad rush for the new boards either.

Gman.45
08-12-2018, 08:36 PM

As Mitsu said, I used to have "a guy" that worked at MemEx, like many of us here did, who would help me out on this score. I've had a long standing account with MemEx and a long history of buying new gaming tech constantly, so I get a bit of consideration, but not that much compared to having a friend who worked there, which I've had a few over the years. The best you can do IMO is call in to your dealer - MemEx is still the goto place for YYC IMO for this - and see what they tell you. I hope Mitsu is right, and they have a large amount of stock, but that wasn't the case for the 1080s, I can tell you that. I had 4 on order, and they screwed up and gave away 2 of my cards, and it was a real bitch to get the other 2 for my 2 SLI systems I built new there just for the 1080 release, that's how tight they were. I was lucky to get 2 more as somebody's credit card declined and his order got cancelled, so i got one card there and they found one other one as well (this was for the Founders editions obviously, I went to other cards, then the 1080tis/Titans as they became available later). Without "a guy" or a long standing relationship/whatever, perseverance and calling in and contacting your dealer - even asking different people there as you frequently will get better/different information - is IMO the only real option for not missing out on being "first". Ask if you can leave a deposit. Also, IIRC MemEx has stated recently during the whole GPU shortage/Crypto thing, that consideration to those building an entire system would be given first, over just GPU only purchasers. Not sure if this policy will still hold sway, but it wouldn't surprise me that if you're buying and building an entire system, you might get placed higher on the list for filling orders for the new GPU/CPUs coming out.

Oct 1st is a rumor/tentative date for the 9900k, and after the 20th of this month, nVidia is going to release their likely dates for the 1180/2080/whatever at GamesCon. Rumor is end of September for those for now. So, based on these "rumors", I'm planning on 1st week/middle of October availability in Canada/MemEx as a best case scenario, and planning my 3 upgrades/builds accordingly.

We sold our Vives last year, and i just sold the last Oculus Rift we had left (we had 3), and went all Samsung Odyssey, it's just a superior platform to the Rift, as the Rift was to the Vive (for cockpit games which is our focus, not room scale la de da twirl around cocktail party games). It has significantly higher resolution though, and is really taxing our 8700k/Broadwell E systems, all running 3200 32gb ram and 1080tis and one TitanXP, for the simulators/games we're playing mostly. Really looking forward to some more horsepower, I'm hoping for a similar jump that the 1080 provided over the 980ti, and if the 9900k give 10 or 15% boost over the 8700k, I'll call it a win too. Also picked up a single Asus PG27UQ 144hz 4k 27" Gsync monitor, this thing is by far the best LCD I've purchased and used, and we've had an example of pretty much every Asus/Acer Gsync they've made, and a couple AOCs as well. it just takes a ton of power to drive it to 144hz at 4k for most games, and again, the extra power will be great as I'm going to upgrade the other 2 LCDs we have to the Asus or Acer 4k/144hz as well. If the 65" Gsync nVidia TVs come out this fall, same goes, running a 65" LG NanoCell 4k right now, it's "ok" for games, next to the LG OLED IMO the best TV gaming option, but the OLED burn in when using a Windows background/PC, where as the NanoCell doesn't, at least so far. The upcoming nVidia 65" are really the first dedicated gaming TV, at least for PC gaming, and it'll take a pile of power to drive one of Big Format gaming panels, 65" at 120hz/4k. I wish nVidia and creators would get it all in one sock for SLI, as that's one area where SLI would be a huge advantage, if only they supported it better.

KRyn
08-14-2018, 10:48 AM
I will be out of the country for a couple of weeks from the middle of September into October. Hopefully the i9 and Z390 don't launch during this time. I will get in touch with Mem Ex and express my interest in building an entirely new rig with them. Perhaps this may help my case in getting an allotment of everything when they receive it. Will you just be reusing your Z370 mother boards or will you be making the move to Z390?

Sooo it looks like it might actually be the 20X0 series?

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-teases-geforce-rtx-2080-in-official-promo-video

Gman.45 do you have any allegiance to one card manufacturer or another? After doing some more reading I have no interest in a Founders Card with the junky OEM coolers.

Gman.45
08-14-2018, 03:41 PM
I've supported nVidia for quite a while, as they're drivers/etc just work better for the simulations and games I mostly play. If AMD came out with a CPU/GPU that for similar/reasonably close cost to nVidia though which worked as well or better, I'd have no problem jumping ship. ie not really fanboy'ing out on either. Had some tard on here last year flip right out after I posted about my Asus 34", as he had the Acer version (I'll find the link later today), and he went pretty nuts accusing me of being an Asus "fanboi" in his words. Funny thing was, I'd had the Acer first, and that both panels were made with the exact same parts/screen in the exact same factory, it was just the casing and window dressing which was different. Good times. So, point being I have no real allegiance. I may build an AMD system with one of their new CPUs coming out, depending on what comes out from them GPU wise, just to have one of our systems be AMD. 10% of one of our 5 mutual funds we have about 1/2 our portfolio invested in has AMD in the column after all, haha.

I'll be upgrading my MB as well, some really good MB coming down the pipe from what I've read, probably get a couple new ASUS ones, and one Aurus, that's the plan for now at least.

News today is nVidia will 100% be releasing information regarding the new 20/1180/whatever card at Gamescon, they already did a bit of a sneak peak yesterday at the speech then. I wouldn't be too concerened about being away until the end of Oct, it wouldn't surprise me if MemEx doesn't get stock until around then anyway, or that they'll likely have stock left then still if they get stuff in before that. I'd still call as you plan, fostering a relationship and getting your name in there can't hurt. I'm really looking forward to this, it feels like forever since the 1080ti and new Titans came out. As I said too, I'll have at least 2 LCDs I'll give you first crack at as per previous convos if you want to upgrade a bit to a 27 or 34" 1440p IPS unit, have one of each at least when we grab 2 more 4k/144hz LCDs. If you can any way afford it though, I can't recommend the new 4k/144hz PG27UQ highly enough. Not sure if MemEx has one on display at any store in Calgary, if they do, go check it out, you'll be blown away. Not cheap though, about 2/3 the cost of a really good system, but so, so worth it.

KRyn
08-15-2018, 06:38 AM
I've supported nVidia for quite a while, as they're drivers/etc just work better for the simulations and games I mostly play. If AMD came out with a CPU/GPU that for similar/reasonably close cost to nVidia though which worked as well or better, I'd have no problem jumping ship. ie not really fanboy'ing out on either.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I did't mean NVIDIA vs AMD, I meant third party NVIDIA card makers. My last 4 or 5 cards have all been EVGA for no particular reason. Should I consider another company or is it all the same, same but different?

I'll be upgrading my MB as well, some really good MB coming down the pipe from what I've read, probably get a couple new ASUS ones, and one Aurus, that's the plan for now at least. I am still trying to decide between an ASUS Maximums or Gigabyte Aorus board. Not sure who has better VRM, any suggestions? Also apart from built in wifi what advantages will Z390 carry over Z370?

If you plan on selling your Z370 board and processors let me know, I have a friend who might be interested.

Mitsu3000gt
08-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I did't mean NVIDIA vs AMD, I meant third party NVIDIA card makers. My last 4 or 5 cards have all been EVGA for no particular reason. Should I consider another company or is it all the same, same but different?

I am still trying to decide between an ASUS Maximums or Gigabyte Aorus board. Not sure who has better VRM, any suggestions? Also apart from built in wifi what advantages will Z390 carry over Z370?

If you plan on selling your Z370 board and processors let me know, I have a friend who might be interested.

The cards are all very similar from the third parties. They all have their own patented cooling systems, warranties, etc. EVGA has the best warranties and customer service - especially for something like a graphics card, I would go EVGA. They are widely regarded as having legendary customer service, even helping people past warranty. Just from personal experience, they overnighted me a new power supply over Christmas when they weren't even supposed to be working, and they exchanged TWO video cards for my brother (only one of them failed) with upgraded versions (a full generation newer) months after his warranty was up. Amazing. Also, the more EVGA parts you have in your system, you can feel better about avoiding useless IPR from Memory Express.

I have a Titan card so I was forced into a founders edition, and I hate the fan. I wish I could have gone third party.

The Maximus boards apparently have the better VRMs but you will pay for it. If you are going for a max OC, it might be worth it. The Aorus board seemed to have the best VRM per dollar but not quite as good. I posted the thread you should read earlier, it's from overclockers.net. The VRM threads often get pretty huge.

Gman.45
08-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Ah, my bad. I've stuck with eVGA too for a long time, they have probably the best warranty reputation in the GPU business. I'll also buy Asus as well, in fact 2 of the 4 ti cards we're running right now are the Asus Strix Gaming with the 3 fans. I'll buy the Founders editions to get in first, but once the better cards from the reseller partners come out, I always "upgrade" to the better - and better looking coolers. The only reason we got the Asus over the eVGAs too was a good deal came along on both of them online, and the missus and my niece both wanted PCs with the pretty pretty lights and aesthetic to match, and both of those systems they use have Asus Strix RGB boards, while I'm using an ROG MB in my primary gaming system.

I think all of the GPU makers are pretty decent, friend of mine swears by Zotac, which is the cheapest (if you can call any 1080 class card "cheap") of the manufacturers, and he does crazy h20 stuff with his, and has built many 3 GPU systems back in the SLI heyday with them. I'd stick with eVGA though as you're doing, if for nothing else that they don't balk on their warranty coverage, I've read a very very small number of complaints about eVGA when it comes to them supporting their gear and customers.

The z390 from what's out so far doesn't sound much different in terms of features and performance, other than extra 3.1 ports and the wifi stuff, which I don't use due to wanting a wired connection for optimal gaming/network performance. The 370 isn't much different from what I've read. Regarding the memory and VRM stuff, time will tell, too much conflicting info out right now IMO about this. I'll 99% be getting new 390MBs as well despite this, new MBs to match the new CPUs, so I'll have a couple 8700k w/MB and a 6850 w/MB I'll be moving out.

In other news, Caselabs went out of business, due to the new tarrifs they said - shame, really make great cases, although I've never owned one, the ones I've seen impressed. Hopefully somebody swoops in and buys them. I picked up 2 of the full size Thermaltake cases from MemEx during the sale, I've always run Corsair 750s and the C70 until now. C70 were fantastic, 2 huge rubber wrapped spring loaded handles, which made moving the systems around really easy. I don't know why more case makers don't have similar carrying handles, especially larger heavy cases. I'll have a like new 750D and 780T, both Corsair I'll be moving out too when the upgrade time comes hopefully in a couple months, if you know anyone looking for a cheap good used case or 2.

KRyn
08-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Ah, my bad. I've stuck with eVGA too for a long time, they have probably the best warranty reputation in the GPU business. I'll also buy Asus as well, in fact 2 of the 4 ti cards we're running right now are the Asus Strix Gaming with the 3 fans. I'll buy the Founders editions to get in first, but once the better cards from the reseller partners come out, I always "upgrade" to the better - and better looking coolers. The only reason we got the Asus over the eVGAs too was a good deal came along on both of them online, and the missus and my niece both wanted PCs with the pretty pretty lights and aesthetic to match, and both of those systems they use have Asus Strix RGB boards, while I'm using an ROG MB in my primary gaming system.

So what are your thoughts on all the rumors that 2080TI will launch with everything else on the 20th? If the rumors are true, how many do you plan on buying? I am hoping that all third parties will have their offerings ready at the same time.

Gman.45
08-18-2018, 02:29 PM
I think it's a coin flip if nVidia/etc will have pre orders open for the 2080, and less of a chance for the 2080ti. Whatever is available I'll be pre ordering enough for at least 1 or 2 of our 3 desktop gaming stations/PCs. I'd like to have the option to buy from MemEx as well to both support them and also have them build at least one of the new machines with GPUs in house. I prefer to build myself, but until my exile in Sask is over and we move back to Calgary this fall, it's simpler to have MemEx build and test for me than to screw around with shipping if there is any DOA or problem parts. So at least 2, maybe 3 2080/tis. If the ti does become available for pre order on Monday, likely 3 just to get a hold of them, if it's just the 2080, probably just 2, depending on what the news is on their performance and how quick the ti model will be available, as I don't really want to buy 2080s just to replace them within a months. If the 2080ti won't be out until 2019, I'll just bite that bullet and move up to 2080s so long as they outperform the 1080ti by a reasonable margin.

I think the rumors/news are pretty strong though this time, I'm hoping the 2080ti is released simultaneously for once. Ordered another 4k 144hz/ grabbed an Acer Predator despite it being a couple hundred $ more than the Asus, so we've got 2 144hz 4k now. I'm hoping for some news on the 65" nVidia 120hz/Gsync screens too, LG had a big sale on until yesterday on their OLED and NanCell TVs, and we need one more large panel/TV and I nearly bought a 65" NanoCell model as it was only $1499, which was half price for a 2017 model (same as the 2018 pretty much for performance). Decided to wait though as I'm hoping the nVidia 65" is out this fall. The OLED still have some burn in issues, and running a PC with Win10 desktop always "on" in the background would be bad news, despite the LG OLED being probably the best TV you can buy for "tv" type stuff IMO for under 10$k.

I too hope the partners/3rd parties are "allowed" to simultaneously release their cards as well as the 2080ti on or around the 20th for pre orders. MSI's look really great, hopefully Asus/eVGA's do as well. Pricing should be interesting - us PC gamers are fortunate that the crypto craze is in a big downturn, it's a reasonable assumption IMO that nVdia has waited for such a downswing in crypto to release these cards and this new Turing/etc tech, as it's been a really long time between new card releases compared to the 680-780, 780-980, and 980-1080s.

Gman.45
08-20-2018, 12:04 PM
The 2080tis available for pre order sold out in minutes, I got one, went back to order a 2nd and they're all sold out now. Crazy. Not cheap for the FE cards either, $1199 USD, the non FE will be around $999, they'll still be $1400 CAD at least at MemEx I'll bet once they become available.

KRyn
08-20-2018, 12:07 PM
The 2080tis available for pre order sold out in minutes, I got one, went back to order a 2nd and they're all sold out now. Crazy. Not cheap for the FE cards either, $1199 USD, the non FE will be around $999, they'll still be $1400 CAD at least at MemEx I'll bet once they become available.
Gman.45

Congrats, I heard that the FE are clocked faster than any of the other cards released to date? Doesn't make a ton of sense but time will tell. Who did you get your card through, Nvidia directly?

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
$1700 for a 2080, $1649 for a 2080Ti? WTF? Also that is double the USA MSRP for the 2080 and 60% more for the Ti.

Those prices are INSANE in my opinion. Unless you have money to burn I'd grab a 1080Ti for literally less than half the price and maybe wait for prices to come back down to earth.

Then again if they all sell out I guess that is a completely fair price for them haha.

KRyn
08-20-2018, 12:21 PM
$1700 for a 2080, $1649 for a 2080Ti? WTF? Also that is double the USA MSRP for the 2080 and 60% more for the Ti.

Those prices are INSANE in my opinion. Unless you have money to burn I'd grab a 1080Ti for literally less than half the price and maybe wait for prices to come back down to earth.

Then again if they all sell out I guess that is a completely fair price for them haha.
Mitsu3000gt

Pricing on these new cards is insane. I will be interested to see how much faster they actually are compared to current gen running games @ 4k. Hopefully they can push out 60 fps or more. As the cards release while I am away, I will wait for reviews to base my decision on. A used 1080 Ti is looking like a very cost efficient option right now.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Mitsu3000gt

Pricing on these new cards is insane. I will be interested to see how much faster they actually are compared to current gen running games @ 4k. Hopefully they can push out 60 fps or more. As the cards release while I am away, I will wait for reviews to base my decision on. A used 1060 Ti is looking like a very cost efficient option right now.

Yeah the price surprised me a bit. And Memory Express had some of the 2080's listed for more than the 2080 Ti's probably trying to catch some people not paying attention in the preorder madness. Looks like they are now more in line with the USA prices + FX which is more like I expected.

I might look for a used 1080Ti myself if prices drop a bit more.

Gman.45
08-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Cancelled my nVidia FE order and ordered 2 eVGA from them, I was surprised to get an email from them offering me up to 2 pre order 2080ti. Yes, they are outrageously expensive, but I paid about the same for our Titan XP, so it's all relative based on performance. Pre ordered 2 Asus 1080ti from MemEx as well, hoping that they release at a time close to the x390/9900 as well so I can have a couple systems assembled simultaenously. Apparently nVidia claims to be focusing on SLI a bit more too, which is good news for me at least, although new bridges will be required, rendering the 2 I have now useless. We'll see on the SLI score, probably build 1 system with SLI and 2 without.

I think waiting to see the "numbers" regarding performance isn't a bad idea, but I'd be buying them either way, so no point waiting on my end, but I understand why anyone would want to see some previews or reviews of them throwing down in some tests before dropping fifteen hundred bux on a 20180 or even more on a ti.

Mistu, I'll have at least 3 1080ti and a Titan XP for sale once my new cards ship, you and Kryn I'll PM first before I flog them off online, I'm always extremely fair, to the point of too fair with used prices, example, I've never not sold a card/VR/whatever within the first hour of posting it, and usually have a line up within a few hours of others trying to start a bidding war. If it's bad timing when that time comes/whatever, again, they always sell fast, I'll just give other Beyonders and Albertans first option - have all the original boxes/receipts/etc for everything always as well.

One of the designers of DCS has a friend at nVidia, and the performance info that he's semi-leaked is pretty impressive in that game, especially in VR, so I'm hopeful. I also have 27" 144hz 4k lcds to drive, and right now they bottle neck in many games at max/native 4k/144hz on the 1080ti and TitanXP. The new large 65" 4k 120hz displays are where the new RTX cards will really pay off I'm hoping.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Mistu, I'll have at least 3 1080ti and a Titan XP for sale once my new cards ship, you and Kryn I'll PM first before I flog them off online, I'm always extremely fair, to the point of too fair with used prices, example, I've never not sold a card/VR/whatever within the first hour of posting it, and usually have a line up within a few hours of others trying to start a bidding war. If it's bad timing when that time comes/whatever, again, they always sell fast, I'll just give other Beyonders and Albertans first option - have all the original boxes/receipts/etc for everything always as well.

Yeah definitely let me know, please. I am potentially more interested in the Titan Xp actually (my current Titan X is Maxwell architecture). One of Nvidia's recent updates unlocked the Titan Xp cards such that they perform more like a Quadro for Photo/Video editing which is what I also use them for. I am not sure if the same applies to the 1080Ti or not but I think it might since they are both based on the GP102, even though Nvidia didn't mention it - then it wouldn't matter as much and I'd probably rather have a 1080Ti with non-founders cooling.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/nvidia-launches-driver-update-to-boost-titan-xp-performance-in-professional-apps/

I'm happy to take the "old" product from your ridiculous setup :bigpimp:

KRyn
08-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Cancelled my nVidia FE order and ordered 2 eVGA from them, I was surprised to get an email from them offering me up to 2 pre order 2080ti. Yes, they are outrageously expensive, but I paid about the same for our Titan XP, so it's all relative based on performance. Pre ordered 2 Asus 1080ti from MemEx as well, hoping that they release at a time close to the x390/9900 as well so I can have a couple systems assembled simultaenously. Apparently nVidia claims to be focusing on SLI a bit more too, which is good news for me at least, although new bridges will be required, rendering the 2 I have now useless. We'll see on the SLI score, probably build 1 system with SLI and 2 without.

Dang, impressive you managed to secure so many cards on launch day. I may / may not have secured a 2080 Ti, still waiting to see. In your opinion would a 750 watt power supply be big enough to power a 2080 Ti, an overclocked 9900k on a Z390 board with a 360 AIO and a M.2 + normal SSDs?

I'll just give other Beyonders and Albertans first option - have all the original boxes/receipts/etc for everything always as well.

Many thanks! Looking forward to saving a few dollars and I have a feeling you treat your equipment well.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2018, 01:56 PM
Dang, impressive you managed to secure so many cards on launch day. I may / may not have secured a 2080 Ti, still waiting to see. In your opinion would a 750 watt power supply be big enough to power a 2080 Ti, an overclocked 9900k on a Z390 board with a 360 AIO and a M.2 + normal SSDs?

That won't be 750W but it's up to you how much headroom you want. The more headroom the less your PSU fan will be running (EVGA PSUs have an ECO fan mode as well you can enable, as do some other brands).

You're looking at 95W for the CPU (maybe 150W with a big OC under a torture load), 250-265W for a 1080ti/2080ti at max load.

A SATA SSD under load doesn't even use 2W of power, so that is basically zero. A 960/970 M2 SSD uses 3-4W under load so again basically zero. A bigger AIO cooler is around 20W + 3-5W per fan depending on RPM, again very insignificant. RAM is like 10W for several modules, very insignificant. MOBO is around 40-80W.

So you're looking at maybe ~525W give or take worst case scenario with an OC under a torture load. You could bump it to 850W to be safe with a max OC but a quality PSU will be fine working around 70% load all day long, which you won't even be doing because you won't be running 24/7 benchmarks.

I have a 7820X OC'd to 4.7GHz on all 8 cores, 4X8GB RAM OC'd to 3200 Mhz, Titan X (250W), 3 case fans, Noctua NH-D15, 3 SSDs, 5 HDDs, X299 mobo (the whole X299 environment is a power hog) and an 860W PSU. My battery backup device measures power draw and including my monitor and peripherals under a benchmark load or during a game (Rainbow 6 Seige) with maxed out graphics options (GPUz tells me it is pretty much maxing out my GPU), I have never seen more than 550W or so total system draw + peripherals. CPU only benchmarks barely draw 300W total system power. A lot of people go overkill on their PSU wattage but it's not really a bad thing, better that than the other way. Also most quality Bronze PSUs operate at a Gold level anyway.

KRyn
08-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Gman.45 & Mitsu3000gt

The 2000 series is starting to sound better and better as Nvidia releases more and more information. If I do end up with one I am beginng to feel obligated to upgrade to a 4k monitor. Any suggestions on the best-cheapest 4k monitor currently available? I can't imagine going any larger than 27".

Xtrema
08-23-2018, 01:44 PM
The more I read up on it, the more likely that 20x0 is up to 50% faster than 10x0 counterparts on traditional games.

Until game dev rebuilt there games for ray tracing, benefit is few.

Am I reading it wrong?

Gman.45
08-25-2018, 06:23 PM
That's pretty much it for now Xtrema. We'll see once some cards get out to reviewers with some reasonable drivers. I don't think the jump from Maxwell to Pascal that happened is going to be happening this time. Remember that? nVidia flew every reviewer in the PC/gaming/tech world out and gave them cards to review, it was such a great increase, I remember on my YT feed I had about 50 videos come up within an hour from all the channels and people they flew out. Not a single reviewer flown out on paid trips with free carts this time, so the euphoria isn't there from nVidia IMO, which means real world numbers aren't going to be as great as the last upgrade. Ray Tracing has very few supporting games right now. A friend that works at Square Enix posted in another forum today that nVidia payed them HUGE $ for Tomb Raider to support RT, but they can't say much about it yet. It'll be years if ever before RT is commonplace. So far as FPS/numbers in other games and apps that exist right now, we'll just have to wait. Who knows, maybe I'm reading it wrong and the jump will be superior to Pascal, but I doubt it.

I'll take anything right now though in terms of performance increase, between VR, 4k 144hz panels, and the upcoming 65"...the first 2 I already have and are bottlenecking, big time.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Gman.45 & Mitsu3000gt

The 2000 series is starting to sound better and better as Nvidia releases more and more information. If I do end up with one I am beginng to feel obligated to upgrade to a 4k monitor. Any suggestions on the best-cheapest 4k monitor currently available? I can't imagine going any larger than 27".

If I were you I would get a much cheaper 1000 series card until more games (or the specific games you like to play) support the full capability of the 2000 series cards, especially given the cost. No sense paying a huge early adopter premium if you can't yet take advantage of everything.

KRyn
08-27-2018, 08:34 AM
If I were you I would get a much cheaper 1000 series card until more games (or the specific games you like to play) support the full capability of the 2000 series cards, especially given the cost. No sense paying a huge early adopter premium if you can't yet take advantage of everything.

If my pre-order doesn't work out and the reviews of the 2080 ti are not favourable I will likely just get a 1080 Ti. As I don't own a 4k or even 2k monitor currently a 2080 or even a 1080 is over kill. But you know what they say, buy once cry forever about a terrible purchase. :rofl:

Gman.45 have you heard anything more about the 9900k? A few websites over in Europe are listing them and the retail price looks like it could be ludicrous (even when factoring in huge European taxes). Intel might be taking a page from Nvidia's book and jacking up prices because they can? :nut:

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2018, 10:14 AM
If my pre-order doesn't work out and the reviews of the 2080 ti are not favourable I will likely just get a 1080 Ti. As I don't own a 4k or even 2k monitor currently a 2080 or even a 1080 is over kill. But you know what they say, buy once cry forever about a terrible purchase. :rofl:

Gman.45 have you heard anything more about the 9900k? A few websites over in Europe are listing them and the retail price looks like it could be ludicrous (even when factoring in huge European taxes). Intel might be taking a page from Nvidia's book and jacking up prices because they can? :nut:

Haha fair enough. For sure it will be an amazing card, just have to decide if you want to pay that premium.

So far there are 3 clues I can see that suggest the 9900K will be around $600 CAD.

1) It works out to about $600-650 CAD if you take VAT out of the leaked/rumored European price.

2) The rumored USD price is $450-$550 again calculated off of EU leaks which also puts it right between $600-$700 CAD.

3) The 7820X (Intel's current 8C/16T CPU) is (unsurprisingly) on sale for $609 which is also right around the same price point.

The Ryzen 2700X which is not as powerful is $430, and Intel will be charging a significant premium on that for sure.

So I would guess CAD $599, $649, or $699 :angel: They can advertise the magical 5GHz number on a 8C/16T CPU and it has a soldered IHS so it has a lot going for it to allow Intel to charge a bit of a premium if they want. Even my 7820X doesn't have a soldered IHS when AMD can put them on $200 CPUs :cry:

KRyn
08-27-2018, 11:52 AM
So far there are 3 clues I can see that suggest the 9900K will be around $600 CAD.

1) It works out to about $600-650 CAD if you take VAT out of the leaked/rumored European price.

2) The rumored USD price is $450-$550 again calculated off of EU leaks which also puts it right between $600-$700 CAD.

3) The 7820X (Intel's current 8C/16T CPU) is (unsurprisingly) on sale for $609 which is also right around the same price point.

The Ryzen 2700X which is not as powerful is $430, and Intel will be charging a significant premium on that for sure.

So I would guess CAD $599, $649, or $699 :angel: They can advertise the magical 5GHz number on a 8C/16T CPU and it has a soldered IHS so it has a lot going for it to allow Intel to charge a bit of a premium if they want. Even my 7820X doesn't have a soldered IHS when AMD can put them on $200 CPUs :cry:

Hmm I wonder how much jam is left in the 9900k given that it comes from Intel already turned up. From my limited understanding most any 8700k that has been delidded can do 5.0 to 5.2 ghz with a quality cooler. Do you think getting more than 5.0 - 5.2 out of the 9900k is in the realm of possibility assuming you don't win the silicone lottery? I just can't see how much better the 9900k can be given that it is still a 14 nm chip.

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Hmm I wonder how much jam is left in the 9900k given that it comes from Intel already turned up. From my limited understanding most any 8700k that has been delidded can do 5.0 to 5.2 ghz with a quality cooler. Do you think getting more than 5.0 - 5.2 out of the 9900k is in the realm of possibility assuming you don't win the silicone lottery? I just can't see how much better the 9900k can be given that it is still a 14 nm chip.

People have already OC'd the 9900K to 5.5Ghz on all cores with water, but the article noted it was not at a safe voltage, so you can bet it will land somewhere between 5Ghz and 5.4Ghz depending on the bin, cooling, etc. My guess is low 5Ghz with great cooling.

The easiest thing to do is usually OC all cores to the single core turbo - pretty much any recent Intel CPU can do that easily and on air. Then you can push it a bit with a high end water loop, the best air coolers (Noctua NH-D15) or something similar. Hard to say exactly what it'll do but I think at least what the 8700K will do but with 2 more cores is a solid bet. Regardless, nowhere else can you get 8 cores at 5Ghz (assuming the usual no-brainer OC) unless you buy a delidded 7820X or cool a Ryzen 2700X with LN2 haha.

KRyn
09-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Whelp, it looks like I will need a 4k monitor to go with my 2080ti.

https://videocardz.com/77983/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-rtx-2080-official-performance-unveiled

It seems like as games get optimized to take full advantage of the new cards they will run even better. You must be happy with your purchases Gman.45

Now only if Intel would hurry up and release the 9th gen processors I could build me a new PC.

KRyn
09-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Never mind.

Gman.45
09-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Whelp, it looks like I will need a 4k monitor to go with my 2080ti.

https://videocardz.com/77983/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-rtx-2080-official-performance-unveiled

It seems like as games get optimized to take full advantage of the new cards they will run even better. You must be happy with your purchases Gman.45

Now only if Intel would hurry up and release the 9th gen processors I could build me a new PC.

4k performance is supposed to be "almost" worth it with the 2080/ti - we'll see. DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) in VR on the Sam Odyssey is where I spend most of my gaming time, and by all accounts from those who have had 2080tis for a bit that work for ED/DCS, there is a pretty significant performance jump in VR with the RTX cards, even with non mature drivers, so I'm hopeful. If I/we didn't do so much VR/DCS, I'd be a little hesitant based on the previews and benchmarks in 1080p, 1440p, and even 4k gaming, as some of the numbers don't impress me, or anyone else I'd think, compared to the 1080ti on an 8700k/2700 system. We do have the one 4k 144hz monitor right now, and one 34" 1440p Gsync, which the 2080ti apparently will have some benefit in non VR/flight sim games. We'll see. I was tempted to grab a 2080 yesterday, but I'll wait a few more days and grab an extra 2080ti instead and try out nvlink.

Can you believe that they downgraded nVidia today? Insane!

Xtrema
09-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Can you believe that they downgraded nVidia today? Insane!

I think it's the botched launch. Feels undercooked. RTX seems to be a 2019 card but somehow rushed for 2018 Christmas season.

Gman.45
09-30-2018, 06:12 PM
I think it's the botched launch. Feels undercooked. RTX seems to be a 2019 card but somehow rushed for 2018 Christmas season.

The argument for ^^ is certainly there...

Sure is different than the 1080 launch - remember that? Every magazine and YT channel covering PC or gaming tech was invited by nVidia to their big reveal event, and every single one had rave reviews for the performance/value over the 980 lineup. Maxwell-Pascal was far more impressive, so far, than Pascal to Turing. VERY undercooked so far as PR goes from the last cycle, I agree.

Still no 2080ti to be found locally, I have a friend I fly DCS with who lives in South Africa, and they have cards on the shelves there, of all places, and he's bought 2 2080ti and has done a pile of tests in that game/sim, both on 4k LCD and in VR on the Rift and Vive2.0, which is similar to my Odysseys performance wise. I think it'll still be worth the upgrade, especially if Intel releases the 9900k/390 on Oct 1 as the rumor goes, and that rumor is coming from sites who were pretty accurate on the 2080 cards release dates. Might pick up a second 4k/144hz 27" and run 2 of those and keep one 34"/100hz/Gsync unit if the 2080ti performs well on the 4k lcd for non VR games.

Hopefully this coming week, get to build a couple 9900k/2080ti systems, I have the Ram, PS, cases, and m.2/SSD (cheap deals right now, 1/2 what I paid for my 500gb SSDs last year, m.2 is really cheap now too, going with 2 m.2 500 per machine and a 1tb 860 I think, 4gb Caviar black spinner for stupid crap/files), pretty much everything except the cpu/mb and GPUs, that and whatever coolers I decide to try out this time, probably a Corsair 150i and a Thermaltake 3 fan unit to match the Thermaltake V71 cases we bought.

MemEx's Youtube channel did a review yesterday of a 2080ti, so they must have at least some in stock, but they still show only preorder on the site, 2080s are in stock still.

Mitsu3000gt
10-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Gman you got your 2080's yet? I'm waiting for my 1080ti / Titan Xp :angel:

Gman.45
10-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Still waiting for notification from anywhere on the 2080tis. Lots of 2080s available, no 2080ti so far, no Amazon, no nVidia, no MemEx, only found a couple that tards want $3000 and they aren't the card i want anyhow. Like I said, I hope this week, and I hope the 9900k/390 this week too, I have almost everything ready for 2 builds except the new mb/cpu/gpu(s). I'll let you know once I can get a hold of at least 1, hopefully 3 2080tis.

KRyn
10-02-2018, 04:25 AM
Still waiting for notification from anywhere on the 2080tis. Lots of 2080s available, no 2080ti so far, no Amazon, no nVidia, no MemEx, only found a couple that tards want $3000 and they aren't the card i want anyhow. Like I said, I hope this week, and I hope the 9900k/390 this week too, I have almost everything ready for 2 builds except the new mb/cpu/gpu(s). I'll let you know once I can get a hold of at least 1, hopefully 3 2080tis.

Are all Canadian distributors having as hard a time as Memory Express with getting in cards?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Information/GeForceRTXUpdates.cm.aspx

It looks like I won't get my card until the end of the month.

Mitsu3000gt
10-02-2018, 11:49 AM
I wonder if various suppliers making changes to circumvent China due to tariffs has anything to do with the delays - that would be my guess. Some GPU manufacturers have production in Taiwan, some are in China.

Gman.45
10-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Good bet Mitsu.

I talked to Norm at MemEx South today, my pre orders aren't expecting until early November. (insert many emoji sad faces here).

I'm looking every day for 2080tis, I MAY have one lined up, guy on the DCS forums bought one for his 4690k system and isn't impressed with it over the 1080ti (he isn't a VR flyer) on his 1440p monitor, and might sell it to me used, I'll know by tonight. That'll get me one at least, but it's still going to be at least a month before I can build my 9900k/390 systems it looks like, as the new Intel chip/MB and 2080ti GPUs likely won't be in stock at MemEx until then. I'll still buy at least 2 systems worth of components I still need from MemEx, even if I have to wait a bit, I've been very loyal to them since they had the one store, and they've always reciprocated with exceptional service for me.

A couple guys with Samsung Odysseys too and 8700k/32gb systems have the 2080ti on the DCS/ED forums, and they've been pretty impresses with the gains they've gotten, 25 to 40% in some cases in FPS gains, which means the typical 45fps the game will run in heavy loads frequently jumps up to the 90fps VR limit in game. I'm really interested to see how the 2080ti, and in SLI/NVlink too, will run our new 4k 144hz monitor, and even the 34" 1440p one too, which can use a push from the 1080ti in some games on max detail.

KRyn
10-08-2018, 08:36 AM
So Gman.45, what did you end up ordering? I just ordered a 9900k and a ROG Maximus XI Hero. Hopefully I put my order in soon enough to guarantee I get one on launch day.

Gman.45
10-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Launch day is today (sort of). Lots of info out there. I have asked MemEx to pre-order/hold as soon as they become available, 2 2080ti, 2 9900k, one ROG Hero MB (same as you), and one AsRock just to try it out. Just waiting for them, they don't even have SKU numbers yet they told me a couple days ago, and I didn't get the used 2080ti I was trying for as he decided to keep it. Still looking daily to get one that isn't $3000 USD on Amazon. I really want to see how the 2080ti/9900k will push the 4k 144hz PG27UQ monitor. I pretty much know how it'll run on VR for my uses based on other people who have been testing the 2080ti and publishing their results in game on the Eagle Dynamics forums.

I may build our 3rd system with 2080 in Nvlink if I don't get a 2080ti this week on one of the 8700k systems we currently have. We'll see how quickly the 9900ks become available before I decide on that.

KRyn
10-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Gman.45 or Mitsu3000gt, have either of you guys used an ultra wide monitor? Trying to decide if I should pick up something like the AW3418DW (https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitors-monitor-accessories). The reviews of the monitor are positive and most people seem to enjoy using and gaming on ultrawides.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Gman.45 or Mitsu3000gt, have either of you guys used an ultra wide monitor? Trying to decide if I should pick up something like the AW3418DW (https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitors-monitor-accessories). The reviews of the monitor are positive and most people seem to enjoy using and gaming on ultrawides.

I use a NEC PA271W, geared towards photo/video editing. My gaming takes a back seat at least when it comes to the monitors (I don't play FPS anymore since nothing I want to play has dedicated/Canadian servers and I can't stand the delay).

If you want color accuracy there is lots I can help you with, but gaming monitors I suspect you know as much as I do :) I've never owned an ultra-wide either unfortunately.

Gman.45
10-11-2018, 02:36 PM
I have the X34 Predator from Acer right now as our 3rd system's monitor, and had the Asus 34" ROG/Gsync one as well. That Dell/Alienware unit is supposed to be the best 34" Gsync option out there, not really sure why, but that's what all the reviews and so forth have said. The Asus and Acer panels are made in the same place, just the housing and other stuff is different, the panel itself, they are essentially identical. Both overclock to 100hz for me just fine, and honestly the difference from 100 to 144 or 165hz is minimal, the jump from 60 to 100hz is much greater than 100 to 144/165 IMO. Lots of space, you may want to look at one to see if the curve is something you're into though first. You'd get used to that either way IMO.

If $ is a consideration, the X34 is on sale right now, and regularly, for 1099$ at Amazon and MemEx. Even when it isn't on sale, I bought mine then, and told MemEx I wasn't going to pay 1399$ when it is always on sale for $1099, and they gave it to me for that back then, hah.

If you have the desk space, they're great. 1440p on the 100hz 34" looks great, putting it side by side with out 27" 4k 144hz monitor, both are IPS, the Asus PG27UQ has a few more whizzy features on paper, but honestly, they don't look all THAT much different, not really. The larger size 34" at 100hz/1440p costs about 1/3 what the 27" 4k does, and it's what I'd recommend for most gamers right now.

A guy on Hardware Canucks just sold one of the Alienware 34" for $1000, I was going to send you there, but it sold in the last couple days since I last checked their for sale forums, sorry. https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/78400-dell-aw3418dw-3440x1440-120hz-ultrawide-monitor-sold.html

KRyn
10-11-2018, 04:55 PM
A guy on Hardware Canucks just sold one of the Alienware 34" for $1000, I was going to send you there, but it sold in the last couple days since I last checked their for sale forums, sorry. https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/78400-dell-aw3418dw-3440x1440-120hz-ultrawide-monitor-sold.html

Dell has the monitor on for $1151.99 currently, the deal ends today. Debating if I should pull the trigger...

KRyn
10-17-2018, 07:25 AM
I have asked MemEx to pre-order/hold as soon as they become available, 2 2080ti, 2 9900k, one ROG Hero MB (same as you), and one AsRock just to try it out.

Welp, here is to hoping I placed my order early enough to get a 9900k from Memory Express's initial release. Gman.45 don't forget to claim your free copy of Call of Duty BOPS 3 (https://promotion.asus.com/en/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-dominate-with-the-best) with your purchase of the ASUS Hero + 9900k.

I pulled the trigger on the Predator monitor. Hopefully I can fit the damn thing on my desk.

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2018, 09:26 AM
I pulled the trigger on the Predator monitor. Hopefully I can fit the damn thing on my desk.

Very nice, congrats :thumbsup:

Gman.45
10-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Very nice, congrats :thumbsup:

Ditto congrats, IMO one of the top 3 gaming monitors you can buy. The only other 2 types of LCD over the 34" I'd consider or recommend (for gaming, not pro photo/etc work) would be one of the Asus/Acer/AOC 27" IPS 165hz Gsyncs or the 144hz 4k 27".

The kid units usually argue over who gets the 34" monitor to play on when they are at our place, that should tell you all you need to know - they have the choice between 4k 27" 144hz, the Predator 34", or the Asus 165hz 27" ROG.

Still marking time waiting for the 9900k/2080ti, got an email today from nVidia, they have the founders version in stock, but me no likee. I'll wait.

Gman.45
10-18-2018, 12:22 PM
MemEx guy told me today that the 9900k aren't expecting in there until Dec 15th at the earliest. Boo hiss. Still waiting for the 2080tis too, probably 2 weeks out still he said. I'll pick those up the second they arrive, try them out in the 8700k and Broadwell E system and see how they perform in those, to have a comparison to when the 9900k come in.

KRyn
10-18-2018, 12:58 PM
MemEx guy told me today that the 9900k aren't expecting in there until Dec 15th at the earliest. Boo hiss. Still waiting for the 2080tis too, probably 2 weeks out still he said. I'll pick those up the second they arrive, try them out in the 8700k and Broadwell E system and see how they perform in those, to have a comparison to when the 9900k come in.

Edit: Just got off the phone with somebody at Memory Express, he told me that whenever you placed your order you should (main word) receive your processor 2 weeks later. I placed my order on the 8th so I hope that mine shows up Monday. Pray for me.

Gman.45
10-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Hahha, best of luck with that.

Gman.45
10-22-2018, 02:25 PM
MemEx just called, they have a single 2080ti available, eVGA, forget which model name, the $1699 one. We'll see how it works in the 8700k system, still no 9900k Kryn, haha.

edit - WTF of the day - I call back to give them my CC # and the guy tells me it's "in store only". IE I have to pick it up in Calgary. I ask him what's the difference, it should be obvious by my account that I'm not living in Calgary atm, what with all the piles of orders they've sent me, the address and ph# I gave when I pre ordered the 2080tis, etc. No dice. It's odd because I've had products transferred from one store to the online store many times, including 2 of the 4 1080s I bought on release day 2016.

I'll try the online store and see what they'll say, otherwise, I'll have to try and get somebody to pick it up for me - guy on the phone told me I couldn't even give him my CC# over the phone to pay for it, which is ridic IMO. He did say they have a lot of new people and one of them might have made an error in letting me place the pre order in the first place, still, I don't get what the big deal is to just xfer it to the online dept in the other part of the store and have them send it to me. You know, what with the $10 to 15k I spend there every 2 years on average and all....

KRyn
10-22-2018, 07:27 PM
MemEx just called, they have a single 2080ti available, eVGA, forget which model name, the $1699 one. We'll see how it works in the 8700k system, still no 9900k Kryn, haha.

edit - WTF of the day - I call back to give them my CC # and the guy tells me it's "in store only". IE I have to pick it up in Calgary. I ask him what's the difference, it should be obvious by my account that I'm not living in Calgary atm, what with all the piles of orders they've sent me, the address and ph# I gave when I pre ordered the 2080tis, etc. No dice. It's odd because I've had products transferred from one store to the online store many times, including 2 of the 4 1080s I bought on release day 2016.

I'll try the online store and see what they'll say, otherwise, I'll have to try and get somebody to pick it up for me - guy on the phone told me I couldn't even give him my CC# over the phone to pay for it, which is ridic IMO. He did say they have a lot of new people and one of them might have made an error in letting me place the pre order in the first place, still, I don't get what the big deal is to just xfer it to the online dept in the other part of the store and have them send it to me. You know, what with the $10 to 15k I spend there every 2 years on average and all....

Unfortunately not, Canada Computers actually had some come in today. They may be one of the first retailers in the world to actually get stock in. I missed out on the few they had for sale online this afternoon by minutes. However, they have said they will have some more coming in shortly. I have left my pre-order with them as well for the time being. I am at least hopefully that Memory Express and other retailers will be getting them sooner rather than later. It would be nice to receive my 9900k and 2080 ti shortly as I have every other piece required to build an amazing PC.

Gman.45 If you want I would be able to pick up, pay for and ship your card to you / if they will let me do that on your behalf. If so just let me know.

Did they mention if they had any other cards arrive? Their website says "4th week of October".

Gman.45
10-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Heh.

Bad news for us re:9900k. NE store manager said they are hoping Feb 1 2019 they'll get 9900k in stock. Not sure wtf is going on here. MemEx has also recently switched to a new customer management system, so all their records of accounts/etc are kind of in flux he told me.

Called the SE store back, they still won't release the 2080tis I pre ordered, the NE store manager is going to try and get them transferred but they may be gone already. SE store rep specifically told me he wouldn't send them, wouldn't take my CC number without me present, and was generally a PITA. Why they would take my pre order when it should be plainly obvious from my account (where they put my pre order) that for the last 4 years they've shipped 3 dozen orders including multiple PCs to my SK address. Today, another SE store rep told me "they didn't ship video cards".

NE store was really helpful, I should have called them instead, it's just that I had a "guy" who worked at the SE store so i just called them as it's the number in my phone's address book.

So, 2 more 2080ti pre ordered through the NE store now...again, and 2 9900k as well.

I dislike waiting. In the SE store's defense they do have a lot of new people as per the last post and what the NE manager told me today, that's probably most of the problem. First real issue I've had with MemEx since 1998 or whenever I bought my first p2 450 there.

KRyn
10-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Heh.

Bad news for us re:9900k. NE store manager said they are hoping Feb 1 2019 they'll get 9900k in stock. Not sure wtf is going on here. MemEx has also recently switched to a new customer management system, so all their records of accounts/etc are kind of in flux he told me.

Called the SE store back, they still won't release the 2080tis I pre ordered, the NE store manager is going to try and get them transferred but they may be gone already. SE store rep specifically told me he wouldn't send them, wouldn't take my CC number without me present, and was generally a PITA. Why they would take my pre order when it should be plainly obvious from my account (where they put my pre order) that for the last 4 years they've shipped 3 dozen orders including multiple PCs to my SK address. Today, another SE store rep told me "they didn't ship video cards".

NE store was really helpful, I should have called them instead, it's just that I had a "guy" who worked at the SE store so i just called them as it's the number in my phone's address book.

So, 2 more 2080ti pre ordered through the NE store now...again, and 2 9900k as well.

I dislike waiting. In the SE store's defense they do have a lot of new people as per the last post and what the NE manager told me today, that's probably most of the problem. First real issue I've had with MemEx since 1998 or whenever I bought my first p2 450 there.

That sucks, I am surprised they are giving you the run around considering how much you spend there every year. Hopefully you can get your issues resolved.

Just got a phone call from Memory Express, my card will be delivered tomorrow. Yeehaw, now I only need a processor and motherboard.

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Those are some crazy wait times, hopefully you get it sooner than that. All you can really do is preorder and sit on it though while you check other stores I guess.

I keep reading conflicting reports that Intel is abandoning / postponing their 10nm push.

Regarding SE Memex's new employees, man they have some bad staff there as of late. Last couple times I have been in they have regurgitated numerous common myths, made blatantly false claims, etc. and were noticeably argumentative about IPR. Gone are the days of a couple computer enthusiasts helping each-other out it seems - all they care about is that sweet commission. I have been going to Memex since it was a almost a literal hole in the wall I think in the mid to late 90's and everything has gone downhill big time, there is just no local alternative. There was a beyond member who was awesome who I went to all the time but he doesn't work there anymore.

Gman.45
10-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Those are some crazy wait times, hopefully you get it sooner than that. All you can really do is preorder and sit on it though while you check other stores I guess.

I keep reading conflicting reports that Intel is abandoning / postponing their 10nm push.

Regarding SE Memex's new employees, man they have some bad staff there as of late. Last couple times I have been in they have regurgitated numerous common myths, made blatantly false claims, etc. and were noticeably argumentative about IPR. Gone are the days of a couple computer enthusiasts helping each-other out it seems - all they care about is that sweet commission. I have been going to Memex since it was a almost a literal hole in the wall I think in the mid to late 90's and everything has gone downhill big time, there is just no local alternative. There was a beyond member who was awesome who I went to all the time but he doesn't work there anymore.

Ditto, this is pretty much my exact experience as of this week. It's a shame, used to always recommend MemEx back when there was alternatives like NCIX and others - I walked into OTV in Regina last week, what a dump, they had literally nothing in their place, and it was dirty as well. Just a bunch of old stock and crap on 1/2 bare shelves. Staples is more impressive.

i bought a single 9900k from Overclockers UK this AM - you don't want to know how much extra $$$ that cost, but at least it's in stock. Might pick up a Zotac 2080ti off Amazon today, never had a Zotac, but how bad can it be.

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Ditto, this is pretty much my exact experience as of this week. It's a shame, used to always recommend MemEx back when there was alternatives like NCIX and others - I walked into OTV in Regina last week, what a dump, they had literally nothing in their place, and it was dirty as well. Just a bunch of old stock and crap on 1/2 bare shelves. Staples is more impressive.

i bought a single 9900k from Overclockers UK this AM - you don't want to know how much extra $$$ that cost, but at least it's in stock. Might pick up a Zotac 2080ti off Amazon today, never had a Zotac, but how bad can it be.

I'm of the opinion that most of the graphics card OEMs are pretty much the same, and you're basically just buying the particular cooling technology and warranty you prefer. You have guys that swear by Zotac just like Asus or EVGA or any other. I like EVGA because of their legendary customer service, but beggars can't be choosers if stock is slim haha. Zotac I believe also has their manufacturing in China, I am not sure if they have been nailed by tariffs or not, but if pricing is similar to everyone else than you're OK.

KRyn
10-25-2018, 08:22 AM
I'm of the opinion that most of the graphics card OEMs are pretty much the same, and you're basically just buying the particular cooling technology and warranty you prefer. You have guys that swear by Zotac just like Asus or EVGA or any other. I like EVGA because of their legendary customer service, but beggars can't be choosers if stock is slim haha. Zotac I believe also has their manufacturing in China, I am not sure if they have been nailed by tariffs or not, but if pricing is similar to everyone else than you're OK.

This is more or less true. Some cards do come with better VRMs and cooling solutions (ASUS Strix for example) which will give you some more head room to overclock, but apart from that you are getting the same thing.

I went to pick up my card from Canada Post last night. However, due to the strike which started in Calgary at 6:00 pm my card never made it to my local pickup area. I have been told I likely will not be able to get my card until Friday now. :facepalm:

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2018, 09:06 AM
^^ Wow that is some bad timing. Hopefully you get it before the weekend.

KRyn
10-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Gman.45 looks like Newegg.ca has stock of the 9900k. I just ordered one and paid for Express shipping as I don't want the Canada Post striking to mess with my delivery. Once I receive confirmation my package has shipped I can cancel all of my other pre-orders.

Out of stock already.

Gman.45
10-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Dammit!!@!@

I checked this AM before leaving for Regina for my blood work at their lab and my dr.s appointment, as soon as I got out of the doc office I saw the email from Newegg, and boom, stock was already gone 25 minutes later. Sucks. No idea how long it's going to take for the one from the UK to get here, and I too am hoping a Canpost strike doesn't eff everything up. Picked up another 2 Zotac 2080ti AMP at OTVTech in Regina to make myself feel better, hah. Their price is really cheap, $1549 which is way, way less than Amazon.ca, and they had 4 cards in stock.

KRyn
10-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Dammit!!@!@

I checked this AM before leaving for Regina for my blood work at their lab and my dr.s appointment, as soon as I got out of the doc office I saw the email from Newegg, and boom, stock was already gone 25 minutes later. Sucks. No idea how long it's going to take for the one from the UK to get here, and I too am hoping a Canpost strike doesn't eff everything up. Picked up another 2 Zotac 2080ti AMP at OTVTech in Regina to make myself feel better, hah. Their price is really cheap, $1549 which is way, way less than Amazon.ca, and they had 4 cards in stock.

I still have 2 other 9900k processor's on order. One with Memory Express which will likely never arrive and one with Canada Computers (the first company in Canada to have any) who told they will be receiving a shipment of processors on the 5th of November. They said mine should ship out the same day. My current plan is to cancel my Memory Express and Canada Computer order once I receive shipping information from Newegg (likely Monday morning). If you want I can get keep my Canada Computer order and forward it on to you, let me know.

I finally received my MSI Gaming Trio 2080ti and it is likely the cheapest one retailed to date. :angel:

KRyn
10-29-2018, 07:21 AM
Gman.45 I still have 2 other 9900k processor's on order. One with Memory Express which will likely never arrive and one with Canada Computers (the first company in Canada to have any) who told they will be receiving a shipment of processors on the 5th of November. They said mine should ship out the same day. My current plan is to cancel my Memory Express and Canada Computer order once I receive shipping information from Newegg (likely Monday morning). If you want I can get keep my Canada Computer order and forward it on to you, let me know.

I finally received my MSI Gaming Trio 2080ti and it is likely the cheapest one retailed to date. :angel:

Gman.45
10-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Ok, thanks Kryn, I'll let you know today once I here back from a couple places. Absolutely would be interested in buying the 9900k you have on order if I can't get one from the upteen places I'm on the wait list.

Heh, I almost bought that MSI card you got from MemEx last week, they had a couple pop up available on the online store, by the time I got home to my desktop PC to order them, they were gonzo already.

The Zotac card - it'll be my last Zotac I think, not that it's "bad" or anything, but they are absolutely a cheaper card in terms of what they put into them. The casing is cheaper than Asus/eVGA/Giga, the RGB lighting on this AMP card is laughable, and their software is a joke. It's like a 13 year old kid created their utility/oc program. I've been able to OC it fairly decently, pulled a 14866 on 3Dmark with the 8700k without doing anything special to my PC in terms of optimizing it for the test, just ran it the second the install finished with 3Dmark. I'm impressed with the 2080ti more than I thought I'd be, especially in VR with the Odyssey in DCS and racing games. Samsung is coming out with an improved Odyssey 2 right now that removes a lot of the screen door effect, out of stock on the Microsoft Samsung page right now, but I've got a couple ordered.

How is that MSI 2080ti so far? Wish I'd grabbed both of them, still have 2 eVGA on order at MemEx, they haven't put an auth on my card yet though, so I'm not anticipating those to come anytime soon. Blah.

KRyn
10-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Ok, thanks Kryn, I'll let you know today once I here back from a couple places. Absolutely would be interested in buying the 9900k you have on order if I can't get one from the upteen places I'm on the wait list.

Heh, I almost bought that MSI card you got from MemEx last week, they had a couple pop up available on the online store, by the time I got home to my desktop PC to order them, they were gonzo already.

The Zotac card - it'll be my last Zotac I think, not that it's "bad" or anything, but they are absolutely a cheaper card in terms of what they put into them. The casing is cheaper than Asus/eVGA/Giga, the RGB lighting on this AMP card is laughable, and their software is a joke. It's like a 13 year old kid created their utility/oc program. I've been able to OC it fairly decently, pulled a 14866 on 3Dmark with the 8700k without doing anything special to my PC in terms of optimizing it for the test, just ran it the second the install finished with 3Dmark. I'm impressed with the 2080ti more than I thought I'd be, especially in VR with the Odyssey in DCS and racing games. Samsung is coming out with an improved Odyssey 2 right now that removes a lot of the screen door effect, out of stock on the Microsoft Samsung page right now, but I've got a couple ordered.

How is that MSI 2080ti so far? Wish I'd grabbed both of them, still have 2 eVGA on order at MemEx, they haven't put an auth on my card yet though, so I'm not anticipating those to come anytime soon. Blah.

Sounds good, the only reason I am tempted to believe Canada Computers is because they have actually had some 9900k in stock.

That explains why they are priced so reasonably and about the only 2080ti available to purchase. Sounds like they are decent card if all you want to do it plug it in and update drivers occasionally. But if you actually want to overclock it everything is meh. Glad to hear the hardware is impressing you. I am so excited to be able to install a new game, load in and hit the "Ultra" setting without having to think about it if I am going to get more than 10 FPS haha.

I opened the box, looked at the card and put it back. I am not going to bother plugging it in to my current work station. So I have no clue how it is. If what I have read is true, it is likely going to be a let down. Apparently the cards to get are the EVGA FTW3 or the ASUS Strix. However, I am not going to complain given what I paid. :rofl:

I started assembling my PC yesterday, stripped down the case installed my AIO with upgraded fans and worked on the cable management. My MOBO and CPU are scheduled to arrive on the 31st.

Also don't forget to let me know about when you plan to start selling off your used bits and pieces.

KRyn
10-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Gman.45 Check your PMs!

Mitsu3000gt
10-31-2018, 09:54 AM
I've read that some 2080ti cards are failing - what have you guys heard about that? Might be a good idea to get an EVGA card if possible for the warranty.

KRyn
10-31-2018, 09:59 AM
I've read that some 2080ti cards are failing - what have you guys heard about that? Might be a good idea to get an EVGA card if possible for the warranty.

I have been reading that on reddit. Thus far, it seems like it has mainly been the Nvidia FE cards which I don't have thankfully.

I plan to overclock my card and run a stress test for a number of hours. Hopefully if my card is a dud it will burn itself out sooner rather than later and I can RMA it immediately.

Mitsu3000gt
10-31-2018, 10:12 AM
I have been reading that on reddit. Thus far, it seems like it has mainly been the Nvidia FE cards which I don't have thankfully.

I plan to overclock my card and run a stress test for a number of hours. Hopefully if my card is a dud it will burn itself out sooner rather than later and I can RMA it immediately.

Ah ok, that's not as bad then. There will be a lot fewer FE cards sold I imagine. Good idea on the stress test.

Gman.45
11-03-2018, 05:47 PM
CrapTac 2080ti AMPs are running surprisingly well OC'd right now, put up some very competitive 3Dmark results with both 8700k and 6850k systems using the new RTX cards. Really, really surprised in fact. Hopefully my eVGA cards will be in next week, I'm getting less enthused with what I'm being told by MemEx by the week - it's like they have one of those magic 8 balls by the phone or something, I swear to god. Quality of the employees there IMO has taken a nose dive straight down. It's really disappointing, been a loyal customer of theirs for SO long, to see them fall on their face like they are lately, and it isn't just me, Reddit and other boards like Hardware Canucks/etc are filled with similar experiences. Makes me very, very nervous spending 3 to 400$ on IPR on high end LCDs and so forth, what if I get one of these pinheads if it ever comes time to have to deal with an issue?

Anyhow, bought the following from NewEgg, it really sucks having to start over at a company where I've not bought much of anything at all in the past - picked up another 9900k which will be here Monday, (still need a couple more, cancelled the UKoverclockers unit as they backordered it on me after it said in stock and processing for 3 days when I ordered it for nearly $1000 CAD), an ROG Maximus XI z390, and a couple sets of 32gb 2x16 Gskill ram kits. The I9 9900k went up $80 since earlier this week, it's 749 now, not sure if that's just profiteering or sanction related, but whatever.

Going to start pulling our 6850 system out of the 750D and plunk this new MB/CPU/Ram into it and see how the 9900k runs with the 2080ti - again, I hope the eVGA cards are in when I start building this early next week too, I'll try some NV link 2080ti 3dmarks for some yuks.

Kryn/etc, anyone with the 9900k already - you try overclocking it yet? Some vids out there with users getting 5.0 fairly consistently, I'm hoping I get a good CPU in the silicon lottery Monday.

Last thing - the contractor in this area for Purolator (Amazon/Newegg/etc) is a real dickhead - the last 5 packs he's just left at the front door, never even knocks or rings the bell (have him on video doing so). This place has a fair amount of foot traffic due to the scenery and people wanting to walk in it, and although we've been lucky so far, I'm just waiting for something to get stolen. Bought my pop a machine to clean his CPAP mask, the entire pack was nearly a grand, and the contractor just left it in the snow as he put it at the door yesterday while we were away, and just got home today to find it sitting there still. I complained, again, to Amazon. They sent me another 5 dollar credit and promised (again) it would never happen again. Ha. Ha. :/ Got a doc appt Monday while my $2000 Newegg package is due to be delivered. If that gets left in the snow, I'm going to go...whine again to Amazon I guess. I've already tried complaining to the contract company, I was essentially just told off.

KRyn
11-05-2018, 08:04 AM
CrapTac 2080ti AMPs are running surprisingly well OC'd right now, put up some very competitive 3Dmark results with both 8700k and 6850k systems using the new RTX cards. Really, really surprised in fact. Hopefully my eVGA cards will be in next week, I'm getting less enthused with what I'm being told by MemEx by the week - it's like they have one of those magic 8 balls by the phone or something, I swear to god. Quality of the employees there IMO has taken a nose dive straight down. It's really disappointing, been a loyal customer of theirs for SO long, to see them fall on their face like they are lately, and it isn't just me, Reddit and other boards like Hardware Canucks/etc are filled with similar experiences. Makes me very, very nervous spending 3 to 400$ on IPR on high end LCDs and so forth, what if I get one of these pinheads if it ever comes time to have to deal with an issue?

Glad your cards are working well for you. Honestly, I think I am done pre-ordering anything through Memory Express every again. If I ever need parts and they have them in stock, no problem. I can go and get them that day, but after pre-ordering my card and processor through them, no more.

Anyhow, bought the following from NewEgg, it really sucks having to start over at a company where I've not bought much of anything at all in the past - picked up another 9900k which will be here Monday, (still need a couple more, cancelled the UKoverclockers unit as they backordered it on me after it said in stock and processing for 3 days when I ordered it for nearly $1000 CAD), an ROG Maximus XI z390, and a couple sets of 32gb 2x16 Gskill ram kits. The I9 9900k went up $80 since earlier this week, it's 749 now, not sure if that's just profiteering or sanction related, but whatever.

Sorry to hear you also bought a Maximus XI Hero, in the grand scheme of Z390 motherboards it has turned out to be a bit of a dud. The only thing it has going for it is ASUS's bios, which is the best. Had I known what I know now, I would have either purchased from another manufacturer or moved up to a Formula. Oh well, better luck next time. Dang, I only got 16 gigs of ram, mind you it is running flawlessly at 4000 mhz. I am debating grabbing another 16 gigs but not sure of they value for the limited amount of tasks I do that are super ram intensive.

Going to start pulling our 6850 system out of the 750D and plunk this new MB/CPU/Ram into it and see how the 9900k runs with the 2080ti - again, I hope the eVGA cards are in when I start building this early next week too, I'll try some NV link 2080ti 3dmarks for some yuks.

What cards did you order from EVGA? The FTW3 is supposed to be a beast. One of the best cards to date.

Kryn/etc, anyone with the 9900k already - you try overclocking it yet? Some vids out there with users getting 5.0 fairly consistently, I'm hoping I get a good CPU in the silicon lottery Monday.

All 9900k processors seem to be able to handle 5ghz if all you are doing is gaming without any real trouble. Mine is stable currently at 5ghz but I have not run stress tests for hours on end. I am finding with such a small case and a front mounted radiator that my 2080ti is running rather warm.

Last thing - the contractor in this area for Purolator (Amazon/Newegg/etc) is a real dickhead - the last 5 packs he's just left at the front door, never even knocks or rings the bell (have him on video doing so). This place has a fair amount of foot traffic due to the scenery and people wanting to walk in it, and although we've been lucky so far, I'm just waiting for something to get stolen. Bought my pop a machine to clean his CPAP mask, the entire pack was nearly a grand, and the contractor just left it in the snow as he put it at the door yesterday while we were away, and just got home today to find it sitting there still. I complained, again, to Amazon. They sent me another 5 dollar credit and promised (again) it would never happen again. Ha. Ha. :/ Got a doc appt Monday while my $2000 Newegg package is due to be delivered. If that gets left in the snow, I'm going to go...whine again to Amazon I guess. I've already tried complaining to the contract company, I was essentially just told off.

Luckily my parents are retired and I have everything sent to them. It works great as they are more or less always home to receive all of my packages.

BigDL
11-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Looks like you guys know how the new cards stack up is the 2070 worth the extra money over a 1080? I have a 1060 6gb right now but when playing on my ultra wide it lags behind at times. Memx has a Gigabyte 1080 for $600 in stock.

PurolatorHelp
11-05-2018, 06:05 PM

Hello,

I apologize for the issues you have been having with our driver.

Please email us at [email protected] with your tracking number to have this forwarded to management.

Thank-you, ^Vanessa.

Gman.45
11-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Ya thanks Vanessa, after the convo I had today with Purolator I think I'm good. He left $2000 of parts today in snow in front of my house for 2 hours, and kindly ignored the signature required box I had NewEgg put on the shipment. I found out it's Purolator policy that if the driver, using "his judgement", thinks it's "safe" to leave a package, he'll just dump it at your door and leave. Then I find out that if such a dumped package gets stolen, it will only take you 45 days to come to a decision IF you're going to refund me. Since NewEgg, MemEx, etc, NEVER take out extra insurance on packages when they ship them (MemEx won't, I've asked them), that leaves the customer pretty fucked over IMO.

I don't understand how scammers aren't just calling in packages missing since you don't bother getting the driver to either wait to see if someone is home, or leave a notice instead of dumping the package off insecurely. Without a signature or notice left Purolator has no proof about anything...it's nuts IMO.

Anyhow, pics of the stuff I've got so far this week, lots more coming (I hope). Yes, it's the FTW3 cards I have on backorder, 2 of them, but the way MemEx has been lately who the hell knows if and when they show up. What a shit show this upgrade cycle has become. Got another 4k 27" 144hz Asus PG27UQ coming this week. Hope it doesn't get left in the snow....

Re the Maximus Hero, yes, it's pretty lame how Asus screwed us all over with the 4 phase and cheapness of this board. It'll do for now, the other 2 pcs will absolutely getting something else, it was just one of the few boards in out of limited options right now, and I don't feel like learning Gigabyte/whatever's bios at the moment.

KRyn
11-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Anyhow, pics of the stuff I've got so far this week, lots more coming (I hope). Yes, it's the FTW3 cards I have on backorder, 2 of them, but the way MemEx has been lately who the hell knows if and when they show up. What a shit show this upgrade cycle has become. Got another 4k 27" 144hz Asus PG27UQ coming this week. Hope it doesn't get left in the snow....

Re the Maximus Hero, yes, it's pretty lame how Asus screwed us all over with the 4 phase and cheapness of this board. It'll do for now, the other 2 pcs will absolutely getting something else, it was just one of the few boards in out of limited options right now, and I don't feel like learning Gigabyte/whatever's bios at the moment.

Dang nice! I ended up installing a 500 GB Samsung 970 Pro and a 1 TB Samsung 860 Evo. Not sure if I can tell a real difference comparing speeds of my old SSD and these new drives. But they sure do make building a new rig easy. Dang, I would love to try one of those 4k 144hz monitors some day.

Glad you are finally starting to get some parts in.

KRyn
11-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Looks like you guys know how the new cards stack up is the 2070 worth the extra money over a 1080? I have a 1060 6gb right now but when playing on my ultra wide it lags behind at times. Memx has a Gigabyte 1080 for $600 in stock.

Personally I would say yes for the relatively incremental price increase. Buying the 2070 will also help future proof your rig if and when ray tracing becomes more mainstream.

Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXF7OMsxGkU) is a good link that compares the 2070 and 1080 in some current titles.

Gman.45
11-11-2018, 01:04 PM
Got my first 9900k/2080ti running for a few days now. OC to 5.0 on the cpu, and 165/700mem on the Zotac card. 3dmark getting 15155 range very consistently without doing anything special so far.. Not bad, not the best for sure. Hopefully the better EVGA cards, and maybe the Gigabyte m.b. will yield higher results. Overall though I’m pretty impressed with the Zotac, cheapest price on a 2080ti I’ve found out there, and it runs up there well with its direct competition. Still, the rgb is cheap, and their software truly blows. Looking forward to going back to the old faithful EVGA. The Asus ROG Max Hero...heh the negative reports are all true. Next 2 mb will be the Gigabyte equivalent.

Mitsu3000gt
11-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Got my first 9900k/2080ti running for a few days now. OC to 5.0 on the cpu, and 165/700mem on the Zotac card. 3dmark getting 15155 range very consistently without doing anything special so far.. Not bad, not the best for sure. Hopefully the better EVGA cards, and maybe the Gigabyte m.b. will yield higher results. Overall though I’m pretty impressed with the Zotac, cheapest price on a 2080ti I’ve found out there, and it runs up there well with its direct competition. Still, the rgb is cheap, and their software truly blows. Looking forward to going back to the old faithful EVGA. The Asus ROG Max Hero...heh the negative reports are all true. Next 2 mb will be the Gigabyte equivalent.

Glad you finally got er up and running :thumbsup: Definitely a bit of a rough time getting stock in Canada this time around.

Gman.45
11-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Heh, as Kryn and I’ve discussed the Maximus XI is a dud. Literally in my case, died after 48 hours...blue screen then won’t post to bios...much testing of all parts later, and just after getting the build and software all dialed back in, it died. Serves me right for bragging about how few rmas I’ve done in 25 years recently...

Picking up a local Gigabyte or ASRock until Newegg sends a new one (first Newegg purchase too, and after I gave them such a bad time over their shipping policies....ruh roh raggy).

Mitsu3000gt
11-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Heh, as Kryn and I’ve discussed the Maximus XI is a dud. Literally in my case, died after 48 hours...blue screen then won’t post to bios...much testing of all parts later, and just after getting the build and software all dialed back in, it died. Serves me right for bragging about how few rmas I’ve done in 25 years recently...

Picking up a local Gigabyte or ASRock until Newegg sends a new one (first Newegg purchase too, and after I gave them such a bad time over their shipping policies....ruh roh raggy).

That's brutal! I've literally never had a Mobo, let alone an Asus product, fail on me in my entire life. Now might be the time for me to knock on wood...

Just bad luck I guess. At least you shouldn't be out any money.

I have never had computer parts shipped to me before though - they way boxes get handled by couriers and in sorting facilities I would not be surprised if it was damaged by that somehow.