PDA

View Full Version : Another what car to buy thread

vengie
08-06-2018, 11:47 AM
my mother in law was recently diagnosed with aggressive stage 3 breast cancer and is undergoing intensive treatment.
As such she has been unable to work for the last 6 months, and the job she held entitled her to no benefits. Therefore money is starting to get tight and she is literally liquidating everything including her house in order to make ends meet.

So we are looking to buy her an SUV or midsize sedan for ~$11k to ensure she won’t have to worry about payments.

We would like to get her something AWD, reliable, good on fuel, and ideally already has a set of winter tires.

I’ve been looking at 2010-2014 Honda CRV’s and older Toyota Highlanders.

What other vehicles should we be looking at?

Buster
08-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage?

vengie
08-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage?

I was considering a Tucson, but for the budget we would likely have to look at an older one which I don't trust, or a miled out example.

I did find a 2008 Ford Escape XLT in awesome shape with low km. Does anyone have any experience with those? what kind of things should I look out for?

G-ZUS
08-07-2018, 09:16 AM
I was considering a Tucson, but for the budget we would likely have to look at an older one which I don't trust, or a miled out example.

I did find a 2008 Ford Escape XLT in awesome shape with low km. Does anyone have any experience with those? what kind of things should I look out for?

Those Escape had shitty transmissions, stick with a Rav4/CRV/Hyundai etc

rage2
08-07-2018, 09:17 AM
RAV4/CRVs are bulletproof.

tonytiger55
08-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Vengie, sorry to hear about your MIL. Thats a tough place to be.

If its just reliability and getting to A-B. I would go for the CRV. It has a 2.4L K Series engine that is pretty solid. Its a chain timing belt. Just don't let the oil get low.
Rav 4 would be my second choice.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Honda_CR-V.html

If you need a Honda Mechanic, Ryan at Hu's Garage.

Good luck.

vengie
08-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Vengie, sorry to hear about your MIL. Thats a tough place to be.

If its just reliability and getting to A-B. I would go for the CRV. It has a 2.4L K Series engine that is pretty solid. Its a chain timing belt. Just don't let the oil get low.
Rav 4 would be my second choice.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Honda_CR-V.html

If you need a Honda Mechanic, Ryan at Hu's Garage.

Good luck.

Thanks for this Tony, I am trying hard to sway her towards the Rav 4 or CRV.

However a friend of hers can get her a 2013 CX-7 with 100k km on it for a very good price and she seems pretty set on it...

Any comments on reliability?

tonytiger55
08-07-2018, 03:35 PM

However a friend of hers can get her a 2013 CX-7 with 100k km on it for a very good price and she seems pretty set on it...

I personally have no idea on that vehicle. Im sure it is reliable, but where on the scale is it to your aunts needs?

What I will say is buying a vehicle is very emotional on what we like but not neccesary to what we need to our priorities. Does her friend know your aunts priorties in the vehicle?

I mean, if I had kids and needed a family vehicle. Would I buy a Volvo or would I buy a Dodge Charger knowing my friend could get me a deal on the Dodge..? Whats the main priority here? :dunno:

vengie
08-07-2018, 03:58 PM
I personally have no idea on that vehicle. Im sure it is reliable, but where on the scale is it to your aunts needs?

What I will say is buying a vehicle is very emotional on what we like but not neccesary to what we need to our priorities. Does her friend know your aunts priorties in the vehicle?

I mean, if I had kids and needed a family vehicle. Would I buy a Volvo or would I buy a Dodge Charger knowing my friend could get me a deal on the Dodge..? Whats the main priority here? :dunno:

Agreed, Which is why I am trying to sway her.

A CRV is 100% the vehicle she SHOULD be getting, especially at this time. I won't lie i'm a little frustrated as she keeps asking me my opinion of vehicles and doesn't listen.

craigcd
08-07-2018, 04:46 PM

My friend just had the tranny done on a similarly aged CX7 with 130,000km for ~ $5000.00 (i know this is one case) but he has had small issue after small issue since buying it a couple years ago.

I would go with a CRV also, sold our CRV for a Pilot worst mistake every the CRV was awesome!!

bjstare
08-08-2018, 07:26 AM
CR-V or Rav4 hands down. That CX7 will be a heap in a couple years.

Show her the responses to this thread, maybe that will help convince her?

dirtsniffer
08-08-2018, 08:10 AM
just buy the mazda if it's a good deal. Why stress about this when there are obviously bigger things to worry about. Just make sure it really is a deal. general reliability would be fine.

vengie
08-08-2018, 03:29 PM
She is back on the Rav 4 wagon.

Question is, how many km is too many with these? In her price range she will be looking at a model with 200+ km.
She should be able to get an 08-10 with the v6.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Condition and maintence records more important than kms.

vengie
08-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Condition and maintence records more important than kms.

Fair point.. but all things being equal and no records are available, what would be your cut off for said vehicle?

this is an example of one I will likely have a look at for her.

https://www.jaguarcalgary.com/en/inventory/used/2009-toyota-rav4-calgary-alberta/15899277

ExtraSlow
08-08-2018, 04:26 PM
I don't have a cut off, but I'm atypical that way. See my tow rig threads for details.

dirtsniffer
08-08-2018, 05:04 PM
4 speed autos are such dog shit. Thats all