PDA

View Full Version : Alberta License Plate Ownership Transfers? (Single, Joint, etc.)

Disoblige
08-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Hey Beyond,
Anyone who went through this process or someone who works/worked at a registry know how this works? I was getting mixed information and the registries I phoned didn't sound confident in their answers.

A few years ago, I wanted to register a license plate my dad owned on his name due to sentimental value, so the registry told me I had to put it under joint registration because they can add my name to it, but they cannot remove my dad. I had asked if it was possible to do a direct transfer (dad to me only) and that was their response.

Fast forward to now, I'm being told that I actually didn't need to do joint registration and that I could have done a direct plate transfer ownership from my dad to me, but doing the transfer is a one-time thing so now I'm stuck in joint-registration mode.

So I was wondering, what is the actual rules? Is it a one-time thing and now if I ever want to register that plate, I always need my dad with me and have him on the insurance policy? Could I have transferred the plate to just me a few years ago instead of joint?

Also, this is a regular old 6 digit plate, not personalized.

Thanks for the help.

Thaco
08-15-2018, 05:00 PM
From what i am aware of now the plate ownership can not be in any way changed... i learned the hard way when an incompetent registry clerk let me buy 3 support your troops plates without my wife present, after i received the plates and tried to register them, they told me i couldn't because i purchased them solely, so i couldn't put them on vehicles that were registered to both of us, i was pissed, figured they must be wrong, so i went to another reg and they verified that the plate could not be changed, the only option i had was to purchase new plates, or sell all 3 vehicles from "us" to "me" so we did that... it was a very frustrating experience that could have been avoided by the clerk doing his job and taking 5 seconds to pull up my registration, or simply ask me who the registered owners were on the vehicles... i assumed the plate would not be bound until first registration, but its bound when purchased.

J-hop
08-15-2018, 05:48 PM
From what i am aware of now the plate ownership can not be in any way changed... i learned the hard way when an incompetent registry clerk let me buy 3 support your troops plates without my wife present, after i received the plates and tried to register them, they told me i couldn't because i purchased them solely, so i couldn't put them on vehicles that were registered to both of us, i was pissed, figured they must be wrong, so i went to another reg and they verified that the plate could not be changed, the only option i had was to purchase new plates, or sell all 3 vehicles from "us" to "me" so we did that... it was a very frustrating experience that could have been avoided by the clerk doing his job and taking 5 seconds to pull up my registration, or simply ask me who the registered owners were on the vehicles... i assumed the plate would not be bound until first registration, but its bound when purchased.

That is like nails on a chalkboard reading. In a world where I can trade stocks, view my security cameras, adjust my thermostat even tune my car all from a small device I carry in my pocket and the registry still can’t do basic shit makes me cringe.....

Disoblige
08-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Ended up going to a registry that allowed me to change my 6 digit plate from joint ownership back to single. This is the second time I transferred ownership too. Got lucky I suppose?