PDA

View Full Version : Hail Damage Opinion

Aznshadow85
08-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Just a question to you all on what you would do in this situation.

I have a 2008 Lexus ISF that recently was caught in the hail storm.

Damages were as follows:

Normally I would just pay the deductible and fix it with other cars. Caveat with this is the mileage is fairly high (185000). Other than that, car runs great and body & mechanical is in great shape.

If it were you, would you just pay the deductible and fix it or take the payout and just live with the dents?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'll do already but thought I'd get your opinions. Thanks everyone!

vengie
08-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Any pics of the damage?

To be honest with a car like that I think I would have it repaired.

dirtsniffer
08-21-2018, 04:16 PM
repair.

whats' the payout figure?

realazy
08-21-2018, 04:19 PM
I would lean towards repair as well. ISFs tend to hold value fairly well, having unrepaired damage would really hurt your chances of selling it at a good price and limit your buyers.

ExtraSlow
08-21-2018, 04:21 PM
I'd take the cheque baby. Cash in hand is worth more than any change in assumed value of the car, which is a depreciating asset.

Tik-Tok
08-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Aren't cash payouts typically FAR less than the repair amount?

max_boost
08-21-2018, 04:29 PM
I'd take the cheque baby. Cash in hand is worth more than any change in assumed value of the car, which is a depreciating asset.

50/50 I would flip a coin

redblack
08-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Rare car, I’d get it fixed.

infamous
08-21-2018, 04:41 PM
in my opinion i would not get them fixed, i would take the payout and call it a day. it doesn't matter with 180k on the odo that the body isn't perfect, and i am almost positive that if you can take the almost 6k now it would be more than if you were to fix the hail and try and sell the car for more money. but that is just my opinion.

SR54RNR
08-21-2018, 04:56 PM
in my opinion i would not get them fixed, i would take the payout and call it a day. it doesn't matter with 180k on the odo that the body isn't perfect, and i am almost positive that if you can take the almost 6k now it would be more than if you were to fix the hail and try and sell the car for more money. but that is just my opinion.

2008 ISF's are still trading for mid to high 20's. There is one on kijiji with a blown engine, still asking $16,500. And there is one for sale at Beyonds favorite car dealership for $31,888

ExtraSlow
08-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Aren't cash payouts typically FAR less than the repair amount?

Good call, get payout quote from insurance it's often not the same as repair quote. There are other deductions.

Nufy
08-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Are hail payouts a one time thing tied to the car ?

So if OP takes the cash and sells, the new owner can't make a hail claim ever again on that vehicle.

I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will point out if I am...

ExtraSlow
08-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Are hail payouts a one time thing tied to the car ?

So if OP takes the cash and sells, the new owner can't make a hail claim ever again on that vehicle.

I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will point out if I am...
That's basically true, but you or any future owner has the option of getting the damage repaired, in which case you can again make hail damage claims.

yipb
08-21-2018, 09:28 PM
That's basically true, but you or any future owner has the option of getting the damage repaired, in which case you can again make hail damage claims.

Is it possible to do nothing (do not take cheque or repair the hail) and wait for another hail storm and hope the damage will be 15k+?

dj_rice
08-21-2018, 09:40 PM
Is it possible to do nothing (do not take cheque or repair the hail) and wait for another hail storm and hope the damage will be 15k+?

As long as he hasn't reported it to insurance maybe?

rx7boi
08-21-2018, 10:24 PM
I had no idea these cars were worth so much.

If it's got 185k on the clock already, on average how much more before it becomes a money pit?

R-Audi
08-22-2018, 09:37 AM
ISFs are quite reliable, especially with your major service already being done.

Get the car fixed. If you sold the car with hail damage you will take a bigger hit than what they will provide you with for a payout.

Mitsu3000gt
08-22-2018, 10:03 AM
I feel like hail damage would hurt the resale value of the car way more than ~$5K (I would never even consider a used car with hail damage), so personally I'd get it repaired.

You have 2 years to make a claim (I know I do - Intact)...so you may want to wait until the end of the next 1-2 summers if it doesn't bother you to either maximize the payout or avoid paying another deductible.

schocker
08-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Car is still worth enough that IMO I would repair it. When mine got damaged the payout was like $12k on a $20k car, but I got it fixed and it ended up being more like $15k to repair anyways.

Aznshadow85
08-22-2018, 10:22 AM
So based on the documentation provided to me, the pay out would be the hail damage repair minus the deductible only. So essentially $6k. It's such a middle number to sit at because if it were like $10k+ then I would probably take the payout immediately but at the current value, it really is a coin flip.

I don't have any pictures that show the damage well because the car is a dark gray and the dents don't show up clearly. The car damage is noticeable at certain angles and obviously up close.

Car has all major services done so essentially just fluid changes and brakes in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for all the inputs. It's really helpful. I'll think about it some more before making the final decision.

ExtraSlow
08-22-2018, 10:27 AM
If car is worth 20k (debatable) and they are offering you 6k payout, that's awesome. 30% of total value for something that's "hard to see in pictures" and doesn't affect handling or safety?

Take the cash bro.

bjstare
08-22-2018, 10:47 AM
I had no idea these cars were worth so much.

If it's got 185k on the clock already, on average how much more before it becomes a money pit?

They seem to have flatlined around the mid-high 20s. If maintenance is kept up (brakes are the worst), it'll run forever. Guys in the states have ISFs with >200k miles on them that haven't had any major maintenance/failures. It's like owning any other toyota, just faster and louder.

If car is worth 20k (debatable) and they are offering you 6k payout, that's awesome. 30% of total value for something that's "hard to see in pictures" and doesn't affect handling or safety?

Take the cash bro.

I disagree. I've got one of these cars and keep a close eye on the used market. There's enough out there in good condition that having unrepaired hail damage will demolish the value on a car that otherwise hasn't really depreciated in the last few years. I'd bet it's a wash (i.e. 6k payout will decrease value by 6k), but it'll be a lot harder to sell. You'll basically be waiting for a teenager that's willing to overlook the damage to have a fun car for cheap. On the other hand though, I suppose if you're going to drive it til it has 250k on it, you'll run into this problem anyways.

88CRX
08-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Didn't previous posters say this car is worth $25k - $30k? Not sure how its even up for debate to not repair it considering that.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-22-2018, 02:54 PM
The way I see it is if you think the car is worth $20k before hail, if you take the $6k payout will you be able to sell the car easily for $14k as is?

Personally I’d be in the market for a $14-15k ISF with hail damage but I’m doubtful many other people would be.

Tik-Tok
08-22-2018, 02:59 PM
The way I see it is if you think the car is worth $20k before hail, if you take the $6k payout will you be able to sell the car easily for $14k as is?

Personally I’d be in the market for a $14-15k ISF with hail damage but I’m doubtful many other people would be.

Especially one that you can't even get a good photo of the damage. Fuck, I'd pay $15g right now for that.

BokCh0y
08-22-2018, 08:27 PM
I'd repair it for sure, that ISF is still good money.

tonytiger55
08-22-2018, 10:25 PM
Take the money and run. Well... thats what I would do, but im cheap.
Its a depreciating asset. You get free Moola and get to keep the car!

Aznshadow85
08-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Here are some pics I have of the damages. The roof dents are about loonie size and the hood ones are more of dime size. Like I said before, it's harder for it show up on pics depending on the angle as well.

LOL this thread is like exactly whats going on in my head. "Take the cash; Bro you think you can drive with a dented car; If you plan on keeping it a while, is it worth even fixing?; What if you want to sell?"

Struggles

J-hop
08-23-2018, 09:20 AM
I would think pdr would have no problem with those. I think ammonyc has a pdr vid showing similar repairs and with an experienced tech you won’t be able to tell

cycosis
08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Problem solved. Take the money and run, then fix it yourself.

https://www.amazon.ca/WHDZ-Repair-Damage-Removal-Hammer/dp/B01C3NB38Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535039182&sr=8-3&keywords=hail+rod

https://i.imgur.com/VDp6A7Y.jpg

rage2
08-23-2018, 09:52 AM
If the opportunity presents itself, it'll sell in no time. Those new hail damaged sales at dealerships clear out unbelievably fast, and it's a shit deal to have a new car uninsurable for hail, insurance implications in an accident, etc.

As for resale, fixed or not, wouldn't there be a record of a claim on Carfax or Carproof? It's going to hit resale either way IMO.

rx7boi
08-23-2018, 12:23 PM
I would agree with diminished resale due to hail claim although based on what you guys are saying, these cars seem to be rare enough that someone might be willing to overlook that and pay full pop anyway?

Either way, I'm not an ISF enthusiast so I don't know jack about these cars but to me, a 10 year old car is a 10 year old car. Money is king and you can use it on anything from a new vehicle to hookers and blow.

Machi
08-23-2018, 12:44 PM
So based on the documentation provided to me, the pay out would be the hail damage repair minus the deductible only. So essentially $6k.

It’d be less than that because they’ll deduct labour costs, etc if you take a cash payout. Best to call your adjuster to confirm the exact amount before making your decision..

gpomp
08-23-2018, 12:54 PM
I've had hail payouts on 2 of my cars and it's never been anything less than what the body shop quoted to fix the cars. Both times I've taken the payout and sold the car privately. Between the payout and private sale, I got way more than market value for the cars.

vengie
08-23-2018, 01:52 PM
I've had hail payouts on 2 of my cars and it's never been anything less than what the body shop quoted to fix the cars. Both times I've taken the payout and sold the car privately. Between the payout and private sale, I got way more than market value for the cars.

When I took a payout on a vehicle I only received 80% of quoted total. That said I was also able to sell the car + payout for more than the value of the vehicle.

That said, the ISF is in a different territory of vehicle. I don't think with that damage you'd be able to sell it for $20k

J.M.
08-23-2018, 02:50 PM
I'd take the payout.

nj2Type-S
08-23-2018, 03:51 PM
i have a similar situation with the OP. my 2008 rdx was damaged by hail a couple of weeks ago. the cost estimate is $5800 + gst for repairs. looking around kijiji and autotrader, i can probably get $8,000-$10,000 if i were to get it repaired sell it privately. my insurance gave me the option to get a cash settlement, instead. basically, i can get paid out 60% of the total cost estimate before gst minus a $250 deductible. it comes up to around $3200. i've owned my rdx since i bought it brand new 10 years ago, so i know it's in great mechanical shape. i think i'll drive it until it dies, so i'm thinking of getting a cash payout instead.

i've never done this before, so unless i intend to sell my rdx eventually, are there any disadvantages to getting a payout?

thanks!

botox
08-24-2018, 08:07 AM
If you plan to sell this car in the next couple of years then fix it. If you plan to keep it for a while take the payout. Sell it when it's worth around $3-$5k cause when people are looking at cars at that price they aren't looking for immaculate condition vehicles so hail damage like that won't make that big of a difference in selling price. High school kids would pick this up in a second for a small discount. Plus your's isn't bad at all IMO. Personally, I keep my cars until they die so I would take the payout.