PDA

View Full Version : No helmet, no turban, secret exception maybe?

speedog
08-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Spotted on McKnight this afternoon...

ercchry
08-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Ran into an older guy out on a twisty backroad on a big cruiser bike once without a lid also... so weird

ExtraSlow
08-22-2018, 04:04 PM
That's the extra-double-secret DGAF exemption. If you ask me really nice, I'll send you the forms.

Thaco
08-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Probably one of those guys who are so pissed about the turban law he thinks he has the right to do as he wants, and when he gets a ticket/fine he'll make a big stink over it just to get attention... even though he is clearly in the wrong.

Tik-Tok
08-22-2018, 04:08 PM
I don't know how anybody riding in this city can think this is a good idea.

EK 2.0
08-22-2018, 04:09 PM
I don't know how anybody riding in this city can think this is a good idea.

Exxxxxxactly....

bjstare
08-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Good news is if he crashes, at least he can't get any dumber.

I don't know how anybody riding a motorcycle can think this is a good idea.

FTFY

A790
08-22-2018, 04:23 PM
ATGATT.

Always ATGATT.

Buster
08-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Helmet laws are dumb. You should be able to ride neckid if you want.

Also, the concept of "enforcing safety" by suggesting people wear helmets on a bike is funny. Bikes are inherently so ridiculously dangerous that the idea of compulsory helmets to save people from being dangerous is dumb. If you really cared about make people safer (statistically), then you would simply outlaw bikes. It's like legislating filters on cigarettes.

Yes, I ride (well don't much any more due to time).

Maxt
08-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Helmet laws are dumb. You should be able to ride neckid if you want.

Also, the concept of "enforcing safety" by suggesting people wear helmets on a bike is funny. Bikes are inherently so ridiculously dangerous that the idea of compulsory helmets to save people from being dangerous is dumb. If you really cared about make people safer (statistically), then you would simply outlaw bikes. It's like legislating filters on cigarettes.

Yes, I ride (well don't much any more due to time).

Probably true for a lot accidents. Back in the 80s, a biker ran into my dads parked Chrysler New Yorker at high rate of speed early in the morning. There wasn't much left of him at the end of the block where his bike stopped, just a torso gurgling blood. His head was in the helmet still though...

speedog
08-22-2018, 07:21 PM
First hand experience here, on a motorbike road trip with my brother - I witnessed him go down due to circumstances not of his fault or doing. Needless to say he slid to a stop with his bike on top of him. I got his bike off of him and he got up, some road rash and that's about it.

Now we hadn't been wearing helmets about 5 miles back (this was in the USA) but for whatever reason we stopped and put our lids on. His open face helmet had the metal visor snaps ground right down to the helmet's shell and his visor had folded down and saved his face in the process.

That kind of sold me on helmets.

revelations
08-22-2018, 07:31 PM
I've ridden around a block once without a lid, but even at 50kph that was just wrong.

As far as helmets and crashes; its best to wear a proper lid, or none at all. Those flower planters that some cruiser guys wear (beanies) are just good at holding your skull in one piece while your brain rattles around. A fellow rider in Vancouver, wearing a beanie, was knocked off his bike on the highway by an unobservant dolt and he ended up being a vegetable because of his beanie.

Had he had a proper lid, he would have been most likely OK - or dead without a lid. But this state was the worst possible outcome.

I shudder at the number of riders on 80+ roads without gloves too. Thats the next worse thing IMO (than no lid).

Buster
08-22-2018, 07:41 PM
I just stopped riding.

Not worth the risk.

J-hop
08-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Helmets unquestionably significantly improve the chance of survival in a collision, I’m glad he’s not wearing one

revelations
08-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Yea I also promised myself that I would stop riding if we had kid(s). Now I just make do with a convertible.

bjstare
08-23-2018, 07:24 AM
I just stopped riding.

Not worth the risk.

Same. Well that and the fact that roads in/around Calgary are all too straight and flat to be fun.

infamous
08-23-2018, 07:56 AM
I just stopped riding.

Not worth the risk.

this is what i did as well; the risk associated with riding (especially in calgary i find) are just not worth it. but i have been debating on picking up a ruckus or something similar to ride to work; not sure if i even want to chance that......

Lex350
08-23-2018, 10:00 AM
It seems so weird seeing most of the bikers down here in North/South Carolina riding around with no helmets. Considering how crazy people drive up highway 77 these people have a death wish.

craigcd
08-23-2018, 10:24 AM
I just stopped riding.

Not worth the risk.

This also.

firebane
08-23-2018, 10:39 AM
I just stopped riding.

Not worth the risk.

Unless something crazy drastic happens I'll never stop riding. Its just to much of a get out of my head thing and helps me relax.

With that said... I would still never not ride without a helmet and I rode in shorts once and NEVER again lol.

My_name_is_Rob
08-23-2018, 10:58 AM
Well that and the fact that roads in/around Calgary are all too straight and flat to be fun.

Agreed.

ercchry
08-23-2018, 11:11 AM
A small nimble bike is my favourite city mode of transportation... especially with how many drivers are on the road these days that refuse to drive with the flow of traffic... and so easy to find parking downtown

Tik-Tok
08-23-2018, 11:16 AM
A small nimble bike is my favourite city mode of transportation... especially with how many drivers are on the road these days that refuse to drive with the flow of traffic... and so easy to find parking downtown

ercchry
08-23-2018, 11:34 AM

The potholes would eat that thing! I prefer this little guy... 44hp is perfect for the city

jaylo
08-27-2018, 11:25 AM

These things are deadly. Hit a speed bump the wrong angle and sent me flying with scraped knee at 10km/h