PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler left on overnight

jabjab
08-24-2018, 06:24 AM
Woke up this morning and realized I left the sprinkler on for 9hrs. What adverse effects will that have on my lawn and water bill?

SJW
08-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Your lawn is fine. My hose broke the other night while left on it was connected to a sprayer. It spewed water for four hours. There was a lake on my lawn. Rip my wallet.

dj_rice
08-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Just overnight? Not a big deal for your bill. A family member of mine left a tap in the basement running while they went on vacation for a month. Wasn't a fun time coming home to a surprise bill..

jabjab
08-24-2018, 07:46 AM
Just overnight? Not a big deal for your bill. A family member of mine left a tap in the basement running while they went on vacation for a month. Wasn't a fun time coming home to a surprise bill..

holy crap! Ok , now i feel better about just 10hrs

Tik-Tok
08-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Your water bill won't be much, your waste and sewage bill though...

ercchry
08-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Depends on how much the sprinkler reduces flow...

Had a hot water tank blow in a property that was vacant... didn’t catch it for a couple days.... $1000 bill between water and sewage. No one used any water for the rest of the billing cycle either, but that’s unrestricted flow

BerserkerCatSplat
08-24-2018, 10:15 AM
The best my lawn has ever looked was after the time I accidentally left the sprinkler on overnight twice in one month. It was lush! Got dinged $100 or so on the water bill.

nzwasp
08-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Lol the other week I left my hose running to fill up the pool and told my 5 year old to turn it off when it was full. Came back 3 hours later and it was still going and my grass was a swamp. My wife told me never to trust a 5 year old to do anything.

dj_rice
08-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Lol the other week I left my hose running to fill up the pool and told my 5 year old to turn it off when it was full. Came back 3 hours later and it was still going and my grass was a swamp. My wife told me never to trust a 5 year old to do anything.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Might as well told your dog to bark when it was full

Perfect Dark
08-24-2018, 11:33 AM
I just had sod done and because of the square footage I had to move the sprinklers a few times each. Multiply that by 45min-1hr of watering time per area and twice per day and I was scared shitless of my bill haha. it worked out to be around $150 more than usual which I honestly had expected more.

So you're good I would think.

Buster
08-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Water is cheap

Perfect Dark
08-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Water is cheap

Just ask Nestle.

eblend
08-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Your water bill won't be much, your waste and sewage bill though...

Isn't the sewage cost the same as the water cost? Part of the reason I never water my lawn and have a massive 2 ton rain water collection system :D Sure probably doesn't save me any money and my lawn looks like shit, but feel like a rip off that you pay for sewage when most of the water evaporates off your lawn.

Had a toilet flapper stuck open for a good week, was like $75 extra on the water bill.

ShermanEF9
08-27-2018, 09:53 PM
you're lucky. i had a toilet stuck open for a week and it cost me almost $800...

speedog
08-27-2018, 10:36 PM
How does one not figure out a toilet is running within a day?

Are people's toilets so quiet that they don't hear them when they are filling up after being flushed or if the flapper valve is open and the water is running?

goldfish168
08-28-2018, 09:52 AM
Has anybody tried contacting Enmax? There were a few instances last year where people were getting huge water bills because of meter problems or plumbing issues that made it into the media so the city came out with this open letter:
https://www.enmax.com/home/customer-care/water-use/open-letter-to-calgary-water-customers

Enmax will ask that you resolve your leak and then take a couple of actual meter readings to confirm things are back to normal. Enmax will then credit you back based on your average normal usage.

eblend
08-28-2018, 09:55 AM
How does one not figure out a toilet is running within a day?

Are people's toilets so quiet that they don't hear them when they are filling up after being flushed or if the flapper valve is open and the water is running?

Mine is in a basement bathroom, and I don't really go to the basement all that often, so I was down there working on my server stuff, used the bathroom at some point, and didn't find out until a week later when I went there again.

shakalaka
08-28-2018, 09:10 PM

Lol...I am surprised that you were surprised at what happened.

mr2mike
08-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Toliet open flow on flapper for whatever reason. Happened on a week long holiday.
$500 later... I now turn water off when I go away.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2018, 10:37 AM
No worse than it pouring rain all night. 9hrs of water won't be too costly either.