PDA

View Full Version : Do you fold your mirrors in?

16hypen3sp
08-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Recently went to the Rec Room in South Edmonton Common. Had to park quite a ways away from the entrance. We parked, I folded my mirrors in, and we proceeded to cut thru the parked cars towards the entrance. I noticed many, many others had folded their mirrors in, either by an auto feature or by manually pulling them in. This is the first time I have noticed so many people folding their mirrors in. It was great because we didn't have dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge around mirrors while we cut thru the parking lot.

I've never noticed this in Red Deer before ever. But I noticed it immediately when I was in SEC.

Baller beyonders probably have auto power mirrors haha. My Genesis has the auto fold. I usually press the fold mirror button on my Ram when I park.

What about everyone else?

BavarianBeast
08-28-2018, 10:06 AM
It's habit for me now. I do it subconsciously in all of my vehicles if they have the feature.

Sentry
08-28-2018, 10:21 AM
M5 and 540i have power fold, I never use it. I also park away from normies so I don't worry about people rubbing up against my car or anything.

firebane
08-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Nope don't bother.

adam c
08-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends where I’m parked

EK 2.0
08-28-2018, 10:35 AM

This applies to me as well....

Depending on where and even some times time of day will make me decide if I am folding in my mirrors or not on the daily....

Darell_n
08-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Trucks mirrors with all the features are north of $1000, so yes I push the button and fold them in every time. I don’t bother with manual style mirrors.

Doozer
08-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Is this really a thing? I've never folded mine in, and never thought twice about it. I'd be worried about snapping something that's frozen in the winter, and in the summer who cares.

AzNxHyDrA
08-28-2018, 10:55 AM
I thought most recent german cars fold them in automatically when you lock the door.

Rocket1k78
08-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Trucks mirrors with all the features are north of $1000, so yes I push the button and fold them in every time. I don’t bother with manual style mirrors.

Exactly! If im in a busy mall lot or parking on the street theyre going in. In a car i can see why you wouldnt but with a wide truck its too easy for them to get whacked

J-hop
08-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Only on my truck when I park close to the curb as they stick out pretty far.

Usually no though, I’ve been in my car sitting in a parking lot when someone parked weird and slammed their door against my mirror. Had it been folded in they would have taken a chunk out of the door.

Thaco
08-28-2018, 11:06 AM
only on my truck when i park at home because its paralleled on a narrow street and they're big towing mirrors that stick out a foot.

SKR
08-28-2018, 11:10 AM
I usually do with my trucks, unless I forget, if I'm in a tight stall or parking on the street. It seems like a dick thing to do to have them out and in the way if they don't have to be, and since it's a truck people already think I'm a dick. So if it'll make people's lives a little easier I'll fold them in. In wider stalls I don't usually bother though.

tonytiger55
08-28-2018, 11:16 AM
When I lived in London.. on a narrow road. Yes.
Here no.

shakalaka
08-28-2018, 11:18 AM
All the vehicles are auto so never have to think about it.

Sugarphreak
08-28-2018, 11:57 AM

ExtraSlow
08-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Have seen lots of smashed mirrors on trucks in my hood, so I fold in the drivers one anyway. Manual for me though, because beater trucks rule.

On Savage Honda fit, no, but that thing is a lot narrower than the truck, even with mirrors out.

heavyD
08-28-2018, 12:03 PM
In my garage I may to give more room between cars but I typically park out of the way so no need. Never with cars that don't have auto-folding.

SkiBum5.0
08-28-2018, 02:43 PM
I've been looking at an HD truck and I think power folding tow mirrors are a must. Even here in fatland, I see them broken all the time.

CLiVE
08-28-2018, 02:46 PM
F150 with tow manual tow mirrors. I do the walk around and fold them in almost every time I park. Otherwise they're wide enough they force people to limbo - great entertainment though. My other cars I don't bother.
New truck on order has power fold - a must!! The worst is what I call the "redneck high-five". When you slap tow mirrors with another pickup coming the other direction. It happens. lol.

mr2mike
08-28-2018, 02:57 PM
When I lived in London.. on a narrow road. Yes.
Here no.
Off topic:
I love when you drive "narrow" Calgary roads and people are pulling over to the side despite there being so much room. Go to the UK and see how narrow it really gets.

ShermanEF9
08-28-2018, 07:07 PM

this.

schurchill39
08-28-2018, 07:52 PM
On my personal pick-up truck I do, on the work truck never but more often than not other people seem to want to fold them in for me. I wish the Acura had the feature but alas it doesn't and the wife never fold them in.

brucebanner
08-28-2018, 11:07 PM
I've been looking at an HD truck and I think power folding tow mirrors are a must. Even here in fatland, I see them broken all the time.

SkiBum5.0

Off topic, I sent you a PM a few weeks ago. Did you miss that by chance?

dirtsniffer
08-28-2018, 11:18 PM
I park at the back away from people 100% of the time. Maybe if I'm parked on 17th or something I'll fold the duvets in manually

J-hop
08-28-2018, 11:31 PM
I park at the back away from people 100% of the time. Maybe if I'm parked on 17th or something I'll fold the duvets in manually

lol as if parking as far away from people as you can ever stopped the lady that needs to use another car to line her up in the stall :D

Kloubek
08-29-2018, 11:32 AM
My Jaguar doesn't have the feature but my last Infiniti did. The problem is that even folding them in only saved maybe 20% of the space of them folded out so there was little point.

NissanFanBoy
08-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Turned off the auto function on my new 226,000km GLK, it's a common problem on these that they start squeaking and grinding loudly... plus it's just extra wear and tear on an item I don't need to have to worry about.

If I park any of my vehicles on the street for any more than half a day I fold them in manually, too many spatially unaware morons in this city.

- - - Updated - - -

lol as if parking as far away from people as you can ever stopped the lady that needs to use another car to line her up in the stall :D

I find if you park far enough of a ways awaythey don't follow...

Strider
08-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Depends where I'm parked - garage no, street parking & parking lots yes.
I coded my comfort access to fold mirrors if I hold it down a bit longer, I'd worry about wear and tear on the motors if it folded every time I parked.

civic_stylez
08-29-2018, 12:46 PM
Recently went to the Rec Room in South Edmonton Common. Had to park quite a ways away from the entrance. We parked, I folded my mirrors in, and we proceeded to cut thru the parked cars towards the entrance. I noticed many, many others had folded their mirrors in, either by an auto feature or by manually pulling them in. This is the first time I have noticed so many people folding their mirrors in. It was great because we didn't have dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge around mirrors while we cut thru the parking lot.

I've never noticed this in Red Deer before ever. But I noticed it immediately when I was in SEC.

Baller beyonders probably have auto power mirrors haha. My Genesis has the auto fold. I usually press the fold mirror button on my Ram when I park.

What about everyone else?

We have the exact same vehicle setups. My Genesis mirrors fold when I lock the car automatically and I use the power button feature on my Ram as those mirrors are crazy expensive and stick out quite a bit.

tonytiger55
08-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Off topic:
I love when you drive "narrow" Calgary roads and people are pulling over to the side despite there being so much room. Go to the UK and see how narrow it really gets.

When my friends ride with me it does freak them out when I speed west 17th Ave in the evening. The right land lane is left open as it can get a bit 'squeeky bum' with the parked cars. Just practice I guess.

Story time! When I lived in London I got pretty good knowing the width of my car. One time I went down a side road near Regent street in Centrel. The road was blocked and it curved to the right forcing cars in that direction. I wanted to go straight but the road was blocked by pavement and metal bollards. I took my car on the sidewalk and I managed to squeeze my car between the building and the metal post.:nut:

BokCh0y
08-29-2018, 07:15 PM
I only fold my mirrors when it's power/auto folder mirrors, otherwise, I usually don't unless I'm somewhere where I know I should - like chinatown.

jwslam
08-30-2018, 08:25 AM
When my friends ride with me it does freak them out when I speed west 17th Ave in the evening. The right land lane is left open as it can get a bit 'squeeky bum' with the parked cars. Just practice I guess.
Could I speed right lane on 17th? Probably
Would I? No. People are stupid and I'm not taking the risk of hitting someone's door that swings open.

Back on topic: no power fold, never fold. But I also don't drive a vehicle with a truck bed that's only been used once like 90% of albertans. #sizematters

bjstare
08-30-2018, 08:29 AM
Would I? No. People are stupid and I'm not taking the risk of hitting someone's door that swings open.

Yeah, or hitting a drunk girl walking out from between cars while looking at her phone. That's like the dumbest road in the entire city to drive fast on.

03ozwhip
08-30-2018, 08:36 AM
I have the Lexus set to fold in when I shut the car off. BMW doesnt have that feature, so I forget to fold them in with the button all the time.

Strider
08-30-2018, 11:08 AM
I have the Lexus set to fold in when I shut the car off. BMW doesnt have that feature, so I forget to fold them in with the button all the time.
It's a codeable option on the BMW...

beyond_ban
08-30-2018, 07:04 PM

Side note: Is it just me, or does 17th seem narrower now with the new lines painted on the fresh asphalt? Seemed sketchier last time i tried to right lane it.

tcon
08-30-2018, 07:23 PM
I hold my lock button for an extra second and my mirrors fold, so I just do it all the time now. Before I had folding mirrors i dint give a hoot

hampstor
08-31-2018, 09:10 AM
I've got manual fold and extend truck mirrors. Generally, I try and park where I don't need to worry about folding in my mirrors (in addition to other reasons). If it's a narrow road, yes i will fold them in - they are quite pricey to have to replace.

K3RMiTdot
08-31-2018, 11:38 AM
always - but mine auto folds.

tonytiger55
08-31-2018, 12:11 PM

Back on topic: no power fold, never fold. But I also don't drive a vehicle with a truck bed that's only been used once like 90% of albertans. #sizematters

Sorry..bad choice of words on my part.
Not so much speeding but overtaking in the inside when left side is driving ultra slow. But yes, you are right there is a risk of someone opening the door full swing.

16hypen3sp
08-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Since I visited Edmonton, I have kept a close eye out for folded mirrors in Red Deer. I have ventured into a few parking lots over the last couple days (Walmart today) and I have only saw one other vehicle with it's mirrors folded - a Range Rover presumably with the auto-fold feature. I have yet to see a single truck other than mine with folded mirrors in a parking lot here in Red Deer haha. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't noticed it like I did in Edmonton.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-01-2018, 10:37 AM
I only fold them on friends cars as jokes, all my work trucks to avoid other useless drivers taking them off while they are parked, and on my own car when it’s stored for winter.

Xtrema
09-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Auto Power Fold. Now it is sign for me to see if car is locked or not.

I sometimes even manually fold one side to get super close to a wall to avoid dings on the other side.

acedia
09-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Never have.

Wish I could fold my fucking door panels in though, that's what's been getting dinged to fuck lately.

Christ even parking as far as possible from everywhere I go doesn't work all the time.