PDA

View Full Version : Westjet just officially announced their new seats/Plus/biz class

Buster
08-29-2018, 12:47 AM
This looks good. I like flying westjet, so I'm pretty regular on there (I don't do much international travel).

I wonder if these new seats will still be considered "Plus" or if they are going to treat them more like a traditional business class. They are replacing all of their old euro-style blocked middles seats with these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=g-T2rJe06Gc

Their 787 fleet will have a full, official biz class.

spike98
08-29-2018, 07:31 AM
While i don't have any issues with plus currently (its all i fly), this would be a welcome upgrade if they keep it as plus on the domestic flights.

Neil4Speed
08-29-2018, 08:01 AM
Nice to see for those who travel Business Class, and general Westjet Travelers, however, they need to figure out their on board wi-fi if they truly want to cater to Business travelers. The last few times I have traveled it has been out of service.

BavarianBeast
08-29-2018, 08:29 AM
lol, westjet business class.

Just like staying in the executive suit at super 8.

rage2
08-29-2018, 08:29 AM
Redefining comfort? Bit of an exaggeration there? haha

bjstare
08-29-2018, 08:36 AM
While i don't have any issues with plus currently (its all i fly), this would be a welcome upgrade if they keep it as plus on the domestic flights.

Are you for real? It's a joke compared to business class on any other airline. That stupid strap in console in the middle seat is the lulz.

I also fly plus regularly and this will be a very nice change.

revelations
08-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Are you for real? It's a joke compared to business class on any other airline. That stupid strap in console in the middle seat is the lulz.

This is how 'business class' is done also on flights within the EU. Lufthansa, etc. Blocking the middle seat has been going on for a while.

mr2mike
08-29-2018, 09:29 AM
lol, westjet business class. Just like staying in the executive suit at super 8.
:rofl:
Budget Baller.

"Redefining comfort" They're taking from Apple's press releases now.
Take an already in use tech from competitors, integrate to your device and pump it with buzz words.

rage2
08-29-2018, 09:32 AM
This is how 'business class' is done also on flights within the EU. Lufthansa, etc. Blocking the middle seat has been going on for a while.
I believe only Lufthansa does it, and their economy class is brutal in terms of legroom so their blocked middle seat has the same shitty legroom as economy. But Lufthansa is shitty as fuck regardless of what class you're in. Only thing decent is I get to use their lounges because star alliance.

spike98
08-29-2018, 09:34 AM

I am for real. I fly exclusively west jet and plus is just fine. Especially for short trips. Its also much cheaper than true business class that your other baller airlines have. With my company, only executives can fly business class but plus is ok. So excuse me for appreciating a little more comfort when possible.

revelations
08-29-2018, 09:55 AM
I believe only Lufthansa does it, and their economy class is brutal in terms of legroom so their blocked middle seat has the same shitty legroom as economy. But Lufthansa is shitty as fuck regardless of what class you're in. Only thing decent is I get to use their lounges because star alliance.

I've flown LH in the upper deck of a 747 while crossing the Atlantic, it was not exactly shitty ... lol However, comparing to AC Signature pods, it was less desirable, yes.

Also, BA, Norwegian - just to name a few - also did seat blocking with many Domestic EU flights. BA is now wisely moving away from this.

rage2
08-29-2018, 09:56 AM
I am for real. I fly exclusively west jet and plus is just fine. Especially for short trips. Its also much cheaper than true business class that your other baller airlines have. With my company, only executives can fly business class but plus is ok. So excuse me for appreciating a little more comfort when possible.
Define much cheaper?

YYC -> YVR:

Gladly pay $80 more to get a real seat than a blocked seat.

rage2
08-29-2018, 10:00 AM
I've flown LH in the upper deck of a 747 while crossing the Atlantic, it was not exactly shitty ... lol However, comparing to AC Signature pods, it was less desirable, yes.
That's my point, Lufthansa is shitty in every single class compared to other airlines at the same price, from economy, to premium economy, to business. Haven't flown first on Lufthansa so I can't compare there haha.

cyra1ax
08-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Disappointed that they didn’t opt for seat back IFE for their premium cabin.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2018, 10:41 AM
The premiums for "Plus" seats or business class can get pretty crazy when it's all per-person per-way. I am almost always on WJ or AC though so I will take any improvement.

We just booked a flight to London on the Air Canada Dreamliner and seat selection was $63 per person per way and a checked bag was $100 per-person per-way. Their website says all international itineraries get a free checked bag, but when I called they said that changed and was no longer the case.

So you think you get a good deal on your flights and then a family of 4 is paying over $1300+GST extra for seat selection and a checked bag :eek:

AC lets you "bid" on pods now, but I have heard there is a minimum bid not far off what they cost regardless, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Maxx Mazda
08-29-2018, 10:46 AM
It’s not a true business class like you’ll find on AC. It’s “premium economy” (which you’ll find on AC as well.)

Not to mention that if you chose a longer stage length, such as YYC-YYZ where AC uses a few 787’s instead of 737’s or the bus, you’ll get a much nicer product with AC. Even premium economy in the 787 is light years ahead of WJ’s Plus.

And if you compare say business on the 787 or 777, well, pretty hard to compete with a sleeper pod.

Sugarphreak
08-29-2018, 11:14 AM

max_boost
08-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Greatest fear of flying is still sitting next to a fat person but glad it hasn't occurred yet .

Sugarphreak
08-29-2018, 11:34 AM

rage2
08-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Looks way better than Air Canada's business class seats from YYC to YVR... what a joke those are

Here is your shitty chair that features a whole arm rest, and a flute of our shittiest champagne... seriously wtf is that supposed to be?
It's literally the exact same setup, aside from more modern stitching on the back.

You don't have to choose the champagne before takeoff. That's just what the noobs do. I typically get the OJ, and get them to sneak a shot of Vodka in.

Sugarphreak
08-29-2018, 02:03 PM

HiTempguy1
08-29-2018, 02:16 PM
I find it hard to justify the cost over economy

Anything to save my f*&king back. Cheap econo flight seats are starting to bug my back in my "old" age :rofl:

Sugarphreak
08-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Buster
08-29-2018, 02:30 PM
WJ is using the new Recaro seats. I think they are pretty new anyway?

95EagleAWD
08-29-2018, 03:21 PM
There's nothing that WJ does better than AC these days, so I fly Air Canada as much as I can, since they seem to have way more flights out of Toronto.

Also, WestJet needs to stop lying to themselves and stop calling themselves a "low cost carrier". They're nothing of the sort, anymore, and they have their shitty ULCC Swoop to take that dumpster fire and run with it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2018, 03:24 PM
There's nothing that WJ does better than AC these days, so I fly Air Canada as much as I can, since they seem to have way more flights out of Toronto.

Also, WestJet needs to stop lying to themselves and stop calling themselves a "low cost carrier". They're nothing of the sort, anymore, and they have their shitty ULCC Swoop to take that dumpster fire and run with it.

I always just fly with whatever major/national carrier has the best price on a direct flight in a good/newer plane and over the past several years almost every one of my flights has been with Air Canada. Westjet is OK but I would agree with you that there is nothing low cost about them, always right in line with AC or similar and you get less amenities and entertainment.

95EagleAWD
08-29-2018, 04:44 PM
I always just fly with whatever major/national carrier has the best price on a direct flight in a good/newer plane and over the past several years almost every one of my flights has been with Air Canada. Westjet is OK but I would agree with you that there is nothing low cost about them, always right in line with AC or similar and you get less amenities and entertainment.

Yeah, last time I flew with them was 4.5 hours from Toronto to Belize and they had no wifi... on both flights. The return flight was even a brand new airframe, just off the line. They said the wifi "wasn't installed yet". Then WHY is that jet in service? If you don't have onboard entertainment, we pretty much rely on wifi. At least AC has seatback movies that don't require you to pay for them.

Jlude
08-29-2018, 05:24 PM
That's my point, Lufthansa is shitty in every single class compared to other airlines at the same price, from economy, to premium economy, to business. Haven't flown first on Lufthansa so I can't compare there haha.

It isn’t much different than business, it’s just at the nose of the plane and a bit more room/seclusion.

Team_Mclaren
08-29-2018, 06:13 PM
lol, westjet business class.

Just like staying in the executive suit at super 8.

lol, westjet has been a "low cost" airline for so long that's how i feel.

Buster
08-29-2018, 06:17 PM
I had never looked at Swoop before. They don't fly to YYC?

Also: "Swoop, there it is?" fuck off.

revelations
08-29-2018, 06:35 PM
Also: "Swoop, there it is?" fuck off.

Is that for real?

bjstare
08-29-2018, 06:42 PM

My parents have flown 1st class on LH a few times, and it sounds pretty good. They give you PJ's, slippers, a shaving/bathroom kit, huge wine/champagne selection, caviar, etc etc. I'm not sure what other airlines 1st is like, but aside from the Emirates (IIRC) where you can get a little suite, I'm not sure what else you could ask for.

SkiBum5.0
08-29-2018, 07:00 PM
My parents have flown 1st class on LH a few times, and it sounds pretty good. They give you PJ's, slippers, a shaving/bathroom kit, huge wine/champagne selection, caviar, etc etc. I'm not sure what other airlines 1st is like, but aside from the Emirates (IIRC) where you can get a little suite, I'm not sure what else you could ask for.

Private lounge access (not regular Star Alliance lounge), lay down, Pod sleeping, pick-up at gate in car for connections, noise cancelling headphones....

HiTempguy1
08-29-2018, 07:07 PM
There's nothing that WJ does better than AC these days

Well... you mean besides be on time.

I don't think I've ever had an on-time AC flight in Canada. It's insane. WestJet used to be REALLY good, I've noticed in the past 2-3 years they are rapidly dropping in meeting timelines.

Aerobat
08-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Looks way better than Air Canada's business class seats from YYC to YVR... what a joke those are

Here is your shitty chair that features a whole arm rest, and a flute of our shittiest champagne... seriously wtf is that supposed to be?

I also don't understand why they load business class first... you sit down, and then the all of the airplane passengers glare at you as they shuffle past bumping their luggage into your face. True luxury is being loaded last... people have it totally backwards.

The airbuses are getting pretty clapped out and will be gradually getting replaced with 737max's and C-series...Flew J to YYZ and the new max business class is fantastic...quiet and comfy

The loading is more of a weight and balance issue, they want to try and load the plane front first to avoid a tail heavy situation on the ground.. Plus its great watching all the plebs walk by while you sit in your nice big comfy seat..

bjstare
08-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Private lounge access (not regular Star Alliance lounge), lay down, Pod sleeping, pick-up at gate in car for connections, noise cancelling headphones....

They had full lay down seats that were just smaller than a single bed. Also what kind of pleb doesn't have their own noise cancelling headphones ;)

2Legit2Quit
08-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Both WJ and AC are bumping bag fees up $5 soon

95EagleAWD
08-29-2018, 08:19 PM

I don't think I've ever had an on-time AC flight in Canada. It's insane. WestJet used to be REALLY good, I've noticed in the past 2-3 years they are rapidly dropping in meeting timelines.

Anecdotally, I've never had an AC flight be late. Joys of flying mostly in the summer.

In winter, I expect every flight to be delayed.

Buster
08-29-2018, 08:21 PM
I literally just sat down in my plus seat... And there is no power port on the plane. At all.

Lol wj

revelations
08-29-2018, 09:33 PM
I literally just sat down in my plus seat... And there is no power port on the plane. At all.

Lol wj

Yea thats a WJ issue - they are waiting for their entire fleet to be modernized and are spending fuck all until then on the old tin.

Jlude
08-30-2018, 12:46 AM

All this is standard for first/business class on international and some domestic flights.

Now that I have been travelling back and forth from LA frequently, I see a lot of people getting picked up in the 7 series BMW and driven to their plane/gate, I haven’t experienced this yet. I assume it’s related to status with those American based airlines, I only have Star Alliance status, just now started working on my Delta status.

OTown
08-30-2018, 01:15 AM

Lol wj

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Brand spanking new 737-800MAX and power in most rows was not working whatsoever. Same with Entertainment. They said they hadnt had time to put the equipment in... uhh you would think they would do that on a new plane before it goes into service?

I do have to say though that the 738MAX is an unreal plane. Better design; drop down overhead bins for example, and better more modern interior lighting, as well as noticeably quieter engines and smoother compared to the older generations.

KrisYYC
08-30-2018, 02:31 AM
All this is standard for first/business class on international and some domestic flights.

Now that I have been travelling back and forth from LA frequently, I see a lot of people getting picked up in the 7 series BMW and driven to their plane/gate, I haven’t experienced this yet. I assume it’s related to status with those American based airlines, I only have Star Alliance status, just now started working on my Delta status.

AC will start doing this in Toronto for certain status levels or fare classes as part of their Signature service. Not exactly "redefining comfort" (:rolleyes:) like Westjet but still pretty cool.

HiTempguy1
08-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Anecdotally, I've never had an AC flight be late. Joys of flying mostly in the summer.

Okee dokee :rolleyes: No, I'm talking all the time, no matter what it seems.

Mitsu3000gt
08-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Yeah, last time I flew with them was 4.5 hours from Toronto to Belize and they had no wifi... on both flights. The return flight was even a brand new airframe, just off the line. They said the wifi "wasn't installed yet". Then WHY is that jet in service? If you don't have onboard entertainment, we pretty much rely on wifi. At least AC has seatback movies that don't require you to pay for them.

The AC rear-seat entertainment is the best. Current movies & shows, even stand up comedy. On the Dreamliner you actually get a screen that behaves like a tablet, and not the screen of a Park Plus Machine where when you tap you see a mouse cursor :rofl:

The 787's are amazing. One of the most noticeable things is how much quieter they are, which is great for the overnight flights to Europe or further. Also just looking at the flight times, it can get from London to Calgary a full hour faster than the old refurbished WS 767 making the same trip.

I've had better luck with them. I've flown with them at least a dozen times in the last few years or so and they have never been late either within Canada or out. This includes major international flights (Japan, London) where there is probably a greater chance of a delay. I also remember most if not all of them arriving at the destination early thanks to time made up in the air. Most recently I flew to Victoria with AC in July and although the plane was crappy (old and turboprop) in that case, I remember commenting to my GF that they left on time to the minute. I fly again with them next week so we'll see I guess.

I think it's mostly luck of the draw. It just takes one really bad delay and that's all you remember (had that before with United and I boycotted them for years, not that they cared haha).

rage2
08-30-2018, 10:31 AM

Okee dokee :rolleyes: No, I'm talking all the time, no matter what it seems.
I think it depends on where you fly to/from. I mean if you’re regularly flying through ORD or YYZ, you’re gonna get delayed.

Looking at my 12 month history, I’ve flown 26 AC segments, 8 Lufthansa, 4 United. Only 2 Lufthansa segments were delayed from what I remember. I had to look back several years to find an AC delay at YYZ where they had to change a tire on me.

But ya, while I’ve been lucky, others I know always runs into AC delays for some reason. And damn I fly way too much haha.

bjstare
08-30-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm one of those that always runs into AC delays. Did ~60 legs with AC in the last year or so and another 20-ish with WJ. I didn't keep track, but the frequency that delays occurred was WAY higher with AC. Only had a couple delays with WJ and easily over a dozen with AC. (Note: majority of flights with both airlines were domestic)

95EagleAWD
08-30-2018, 11:05 AM
I think it depends on where you fly to/from. I mean if you’re regularly flying through ORD or YYZ, you’re gonna get delayed.

Looking at my 12 month history, I’ve flown 26 AC segments, 8 Lufthansa, 4 United. Only 2 Lufthansa segments were delayed from what I remember. I had to look back several years to find an AC delay at YYZ where they had to change a tire on me.

But ya, while I’ve been lucky, others I know always runs into AC delays for some reason. And damn I fly way too much haha.

Even YYZ isn't too bad now, depending on the time of day. I pushed early going AC to Winnipeg last week.

It was BRUTAL last year though. They had that ground stop and runway under construction or whatever, and there was way too much traffic for what was left of the airport.

I also find you probably have more chance of being delayed on AC because it is just a much busier airline than WJ; maybe their airframes fly a bit more.