PDA

View Full Version : Wink2 Vs Samsung smart things

Asian_defender
08-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Anyone have experience with either? My Vivint contract is up and my contract is up. As much as I love the service I can just make a one time investment into one of these hubs and do most of it myself. All of my Vivint gear will work with the exception of the cameras

Both seem to have strengths and weaknesses, Leaning more towards the Wink 2 as I can connect it wirelessly instead of hardwire
Smart things seems to have better support but terrible availability in Canada

Kavy
08-30-2018, 08:44 PM
I went smart things and haven’t had a complaint.

B.Spilner
08-30-2018, 08:46 PM
I've had wink2 setup for 2 years with 20+ add one, I also have no complaints. But also cant compare to other systems.

tenth
08-31-2018, 08:57 AM
I went with a Wink 2 but it seems like smart things is more capable if you like to tinker, especially with users adding functionality to it. The robots in Wink are also somewhat limited. In a few cases, I've had to add 10+ in order to get fairly basic functionality (have all 6x of the Nest smoke/CO alarms respond appropriate to smoke/CO).

I picked up the Wink primarily to use as a hub for Lutron Caseta switches. I like the Wink, but if I did it again, I think I'd go smart things and just pickup the Lutron hub, which I believe can then integrate into Smart Things. The hub is right beside my router, so no wiring issues for me.

Asian_defender
08-31-2018, 03:38 PM
So after some research, turns out my sensors are not z wave, honeywell protocol so they cant be used with either :banghead:
The only thing I can use pretty much are the door locks. Looks like I'm SOL

Pacman
09-04-2018, 10:16 AM
What brands of products have you been connecting to your Smarthings hub? I've got a new one sitting in the box that I plan to setup, but can't find any motion cameras that work with it, other than the Smarthings branded ones.

Asian_defender
09-04-2018, 11:17 AM
The Netgear Arlos work out of the box, you can use blue iris to integrate into it but that requires some legwork

Kavy
09-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Ifttt is your friend when it comes to cameras. I have routines set for activity zones with nest cam.

Example if it notices motion at my daughters door it turns on the hall light to 20% between 8pm and 7am, same with the bathroom light but that’s 30% from 9pm to 8am then full out the rest of the time. Turns it off after 10 minutes of no activity.