PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Dodge Ram - Thoughts? experiences?

spikerS
09-01-2018, 05:42 PM
So, been looking into trucks, and the 2019 Rams have caught my eye, specifically the rebel. They are now on more of a level playing field with Chev and Ford with HP/TQ and towing/capacity numbers. And I have to say, they have a way better interior now, so much so that my F150 looks like a basic work truck in comparison.

The bring thing is, for 2019 they have stretched the cab over 4" and that now gives them the biggest back seat leg room of all the trucks, which is pretty much #1 priority for me and the family.

I took one out for a drive today, and the truck felt pretty good. Ride quality was great, and they have 4 corner coil suspension versus leaf in the back in my F150. Only thing I thought that the F150 did better was steering, as the Ram felt kinda stiff.

I am also interested in the new e-torque system that adds like 130tq to the 5.7L during initial acceleration. I like that since that would help with fuel economy numbers quite a bit.

I was wondering, what do current owners think about their trucks? what kind of fuel economy numbers are you getting? Is the Ram Eco-Diesel worth it? 5.7L Hemi the better choice? Overall satisfaction with the truck? reliability?

corsvette
09-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Been watching the 5th gen forums pretty carefully, these trucks are buggy as hell but I kinda expected that from FCA. The interiors are nice, I wouldn't get the 12' screen myself but it sure looks cool.

Darell_n
09-01-2018, 06:14 PM
I wouldn’t buy another until this 10 year old Hemi version is updated. Also, my friend with an Ecodiesel has looked at his fuel costs and ALL his savings for the life of the truck will be completed negated by the scheduled emissions costs.

16hypen3sp
09-01-2018, 06:50 PM
I'm also thinking of selling off my '14 Ram and getting a '19 Ram, but the Chev's have also caught my eye. I ran into a guy at the gas station yesterday who had just bought a '19 Ram. He said it was great. He also spoke specifically about the increased leg room in the back seat.

spikerS
09-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Been watching the 5th gen forums pretty carefully, these trucks are buggy as hell but I kinda expected that from FCA. The interiors are nice, I wouldn't get the 12' screen myself but it sure looks cool.

I admit, I want it, but it is one of those things where it is not available in the trim level I am considering, but the truck I am looking has the 8" version. But the techy guy in me is screaming, screw the cost, get the big screen! lol

What have you been seeing in those forums as far as bugs go? and which forums? It may be worth my while to go on one of them and ask some questions too.

corsvette
09-01-2018, 07:23 PM
I wouldn’t buy another until this 10 year old Hemi version is updated. Also, my friend with an Ecodiesel has looked at his fuel costs and ALL his savings for the life of the truck will be completed negated by the scheduled emissions costs.

Yeah all the nice interior can't make up the fact these guys are dead last in the power race.....pretty important feature in a pickup is power.

Here Spikers, this is the 5th gen forums. Like any truck the first year will be buggy.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how%E2%80%99s-your-2019-ram-running-take-our-poll.1017/

Clever
09-01-2018, 07:33 PM
I am on ramforums.com and there is a specific section for 5th generation Rams and a ton of really great people that will answer any questions you have. As far as I know, a lot of the issues are software related, such as the 12.1 screen and car play not working, weird noises coming from A/C, whistling noise in high speeds and so on but for the most part most 5th Gen owners are quite happy with their trucks.

danno
09-01-2018, 08:56 PM
I’ll most likely be getting one a few years from now. I’ve had good luck with my 2012. I’d do it now if they were reasonably priced but the ones I want are 70k basically. I’m not paying more than 50k.

HiTempguy1
09-01-2018, 09:13 PM
completed negated by the scheduled emissions costs.

What does this mean?

I've done the math, on purely a mpg basis, the ecodiesel wins hands down. With a chip, they can make 500tq. More than sufficient for a half-ton towing less than 10klbs as long as the 10 speed can handle it.

If I ever buy a new truck, it'll likely be an ecodiesel.

corsvette
09-01-2018, 09:19 PM
What does this mean?

I've done the math, on purely a mpg basis, the ecodiesel wins hands down. With a chip, they can make 500tq. More than sufficient for a half-ton towing less than 10klbs as long as the 10 speed can handle it.

They have some stiff competition. Ford has a new V6 powerstroke and GM has a inline 6 diesel coming early 2019.

Darell_n
09-01-2018, 09:36 PM
What does this mean?

The cost to rebuild the DEF injectors and something about the regen system that fouls up and costs a fortune to repair. I don’t know the details about it, but plan to delete all the emissions crap the same day the warranty ends or suffer the consequences.

HiTempguy1
09-01-2018, 10:40 PM
The cost to rebuild the DEF injectors and something about the regen system that fouls up and costs a fortune to repair. I don’t know the details about it, but plan to delete all the emissions crap the same day the warranty ends or suffer the consequences.

I'd probably just delete all of that stuff anyways, deleting it doesn't void your warranty.

As for the Ford and GM diesels, "we'll see" is my reply to that. The ecodiesel is a proven engine. I'm a gm fanboi through and through, so the turbo 2.7L 4 cylinder in the gms have caught my eye. That thing with a chip would tow better and have more torque than 2013 and older 5.3 litre trucks, which is saying something, especially if it has a 6+ auto attached.

Darell_n
09-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Deleting is what you do to your warranty. You may find a dealer, though, willing to try and screw the head office over.

KPHMPH
09-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Deleting is what you do to your warranty. You may find a dealer, though, willing to try and screw the head office over.

Totally off topic, ish.

I had a semi which needed 2 EGR coolers ( under warranty ) the warranty work was $11,000 and to delete the truck it was $4000.
Guess which route they picked then charged head office for the full amount .... lol

corsvette
09-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Totally off topic, ish.

I had a semi which needed 2 EGR coolers ( under warranty ) the warranty work was $11,000 and to delete the truck it was $4000.
Guess which route they picked then charged head office for the full amount .... lol

This has me ???? Recently had a truck with an ISX Cummins in it (12' western star) Bought only for resale, a truck like that would sell MUCH easier if it were deleted. I'm scared to as some guys are saying deleting ANY emissions equipment will result in a immediate fail on your CVIP. If it came with it from the factory it must stay there is what I'm hearing........enlighten me lol.

dirtsniffer
09-02-2018, 08:25 PM
My BIL works for a company who is only running trucks from the late 90s with basically all new power train. Apparently the emmision system costs are way too high

HiTempguy1
09-03-2018, 05:19 PM

No. Just... no.

Do a bit of reading, educate yourself. If you delete emissions equipment, the warranty is no longer valid for emissions equipment. And considering the emissions equipment is what usually causes the warranty claim in the first place derp.

They need to prove the delete did anything to other equipment to not allow a warranty claim. This has all been talked about ad-nauseum on this forum, I thought people were finally over urban myths circa 2001 :rolleyes:

Rocket1k78
09-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Not gonna lie, that is an option. But I also have the reasoning that this next truck is going to be the truck that my eldest daughter learns to drive in. I have quite a chunk of equity in my current truck so I would like to roll that into a new truck and get warranty back. Having a large repair bill pop up outta left field is just not something I want to pay for right now. (not that my current truck is exhibiting any signs of a failure now).

but I am hesitant on the '17 EB as it is a completely new engine, and I don't wanna be first out of the gate and get one and be the guinea pig...I am pretty happy with the current 3.5L

How'd the driving lessons go BAHAHAHA I knew the the 2016 wouldnt be the last truck for awhile. Its your money and all but from your truck posts you should either buy a higher trim truck or lease because its obvious(to me at least) that you arent happy in lower trimmed trucks. If youve got the money to bang then giv'r but this will be round 3 of the depreciation cycle in 7 years lol
I'm also surprised you're even considering a new from ground up truck if you were hesitant to try a mild refresh on the f150. Youd basically be " first out of the gate and be the guinea pig.." on the 19 ram no?

The bring thing is, for 2019 they have stretched the cab over 4" and that now gives them the biggest back seat leg room of all the trucks, which is pretty much #1 priority for me and the family.

Ive also heard some ridiculous reasons for wanting a new vehicle but this one takes the cake and then some. I know inches matter in some departments but were talking about 4 inches in a truck cab:rofl::rofl: I have the supercrew too and that rear seat area is massive

Forgot to add that truck is way too new for any real world info.

spike98
09-04-2018, 10:39 AM
No. Just... no.

Do a bit of reading, educate yourself. If you delete emissions equipment, the warranty is no longer valid for emissions equipment. And considering the emissions equipment is what usually causes the warranty claim in the first place derp.

They need to prove the delete did anything to other equipment to not allow a warranty claim. This has all been talked about ad-nauseum on this forum, I thought people were finally over urban myths circa 2001 :rolleyes:

Here we go again...Next you'll be quoting the magnuson-moss act which doesn't mean dick in Canada.

The facts are, you delete, you void your power-train warranty. Any alteration completed by anyone other than the OEM will void it. To delete in any capacity, you must unlock and flash the ECM. This is flagged the second the dealer scan tool in connected and communicated to corporate. For warranty claims, scans are required so you will get denied.

There are SOME dealers that will do their best to help you out the best they can but the blanket assumption is delete = no powertrain warranty. Its in the documentation you are provided in the owners manual.

spikerS
09-04-2018, 01:09 PM
How'd the driving lessons go BAHAHAHA I knew the the 2016 wouldnt be the last truck for awhile. Its your money and all but from your truck posts you should either buy a higher trim truck or lease because its obvious(to me at least) that you arent happy in lower trimmed trucks. If youve got the money to bang then giv'r but this will be round 3 of the depreciation cycle in 7 years lol
I'm also surprised you're even considering a new from ground up truck if you were hesitant to try a mild refresh on the f150. Youd basically be " first out of the gate and be the guinea pig.." on the 19 ram no?

Ive also heard some ridiculous reasons for wanting a new vehicle but this one takes the cake and then some. I know inches matter in some departments but were talking about 4 inches in a truck cab:rofl::rofl: I have the supercrew too and that rear seat area is massive

Forgot to add that truck is way too new for any real world info.

No, you are completely right. About all of it. Not even gonna argue any of it.

I love my 3.5 EB. The engine has been and IS solid. I love the numbers I get from it from HP and TQ to my fuel economy. I love the exteriors. I think out of all the available trucks, the F150 is the most stylish and resonates with me. What I have come to realize over the past 7 years of owning F150s, is that the ride isn't that great, and the interior is meh at best, no matter the trim level.

And ask any woman, size does matter. ;)

As both my kids are tall, that rear space matters a lot. As I am also tall, when I put my seat back and tilt the seat, i encroach a fair amount into the back seat area. Giving the kids the extra 4" of space is a very meaningful addition, and overall, is probably the most important consideration for the vehicle. We use the truck anytime we are doing something as a family. Road trips, camping, getting groceries, whatever, anywhere the 4 of us are going together, we are in the truck. Last thing I wanna hear is them complaining in the back.

If I could create my perfect truck, it would be the body and drivetrain of the F150 and the interior and suspension of the dodge. If I could do that, I would be pretty happy.

Am I gonna go out and buy one tomorrow? I doubt it. The deal I would want would probably not be possible, at least not for a year or so which is enough time for me to do some research and see how the e-torque system works for others before I would dive into it. I am just trying to gather info and opinions more than anything.

Darell_n
09-04-2018, 01:20 PM
I want the suspension and interior of a Ford with body and drivetrain of a Dodge. Maybe we should hook up and make a truck baby.

ExtraSlow
09-04-2018, 01:25 PM
I want the suspension and interior of a Ford with body and drivetrain of a Dodge. Maybe we should hook up and make a truck baby.

Can I watch?

spikerS
09-04-2018, 01:26 PM

:love:

Darell_n
09-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Can I watch?

Only if you hold the camera steady.

mzdspd
09-04-2018, 01:27 PM
As both my kids are tall, that rear space matters a lot. As I am also tall, when I put my seat back and tilt the seat, i encroach a fair amount into the back seat area. Giving the kids the extra 4" of space is a very meaningful addition, and overall, is probably the most important consideration for the vehicle. We use the truck anytime we are doing something as a family. Road trips, camping, getting groceries, whatever, anywhere the 4 of us are going together, we are in the truck. Last thing I wanna hear is them complaining in the back.

How tall are your kids? Over 6'?

I use my 2015 Sierra Crew Cab (the smallest of any crew cab truck) for road trips with full sized adults (over 6') and I never have anyone complain on long trips. And I am 6' 3" so my seat is just about all the way to the back.

Darell_n
09-04-2018, 01:29 PM
But don’t worry, it won’t void the warranties if the dealer can’t prove it.

HiTempguy1
09-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Here we go again...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commentary/if-i-tune-my-audi-will-that-void-its-warranty/article27303120/

I dunno, I trust this guy more than I trust your opinion (or the shitty opinion some scam dealership gave you while trying to screw you). :dunno:

Or these guys:

https://blog.tdotperformance.ca/guides/warranty-battles-oem-vs-aftermarket/

spike98
09-04-2018, 02:35 PM
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commentary/if-i-tune-my-audi-will-that-void-its-warranty/article27303120/

I dunno, I trust this guy more than I trust your opinion (or the shitty opinion some scam dealership gave you while trying to screw you). :dunno:

Or these guys:

https://blog.tdotperformance.ca/guides/warranty-battles-oem-vs-aftermarket/

Your links reiterate my point. Like i said, its not a blanket denial. But if you chip your 2.0T and your turbo explodes or your tranny grenades, you bet Audi will deny it. It happens. The forums are full of it. Same goes with deletes.

If you JUST delete the emissions and do nothing to the other perimeters of the engine, maybe you'd have a chance. But touch your timing map or line pressure in you're 68RFE, FCA will not be reimbursing the dealership for your rod poking through the block or the vehicle stuck in Reverse. The forums are literally full of hundreds of cases from all of the big diesel OEM's denying the warranty.

benyl
09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Two things. Don't get the FX4 suspension if you want a decent ride. Also, get Bilstein 5100s

ExtraSlow
09-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Get smaller wheels, taller sidewalls and run p-metric tires at lower air pressure, that's the fastest way to better ride comfort on a pickup.

Fucks up your cargo carrying and trailer towing, but rides really nice.

Rocket1k78
09-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Am I gonna go out and buy one tomorrow? I doubt it.

What color did you get lol The ram rebel is a sick truck but if i were buying a new ram it would have to have the 12'' screen, that thing is sick!

How tall are your kids? Over 6'?

I use my 2015 Sierra Crew Cab (the smallest of any crew cab truck) for road trips with full sized adults (over 6') and I never have anyone complain on long trips. And I am 6' 3" so my seat is just about all the way to the back.

I was going to ask the same thing, i take mine boarding all the time and even with 4 adult males theres tons of room. One guy is atleast 6' and 220lbs easy.

Two things. Don't get the FX4 suspension if you want a decent ride.

I was wondering why so many people complained about the ride because i love mine but now i know its because i dont have the fx4.

spikerS
09-04-2018, 08:24 PM
What color did you get lol The ram rebel is a sick truck but if i were buying a new ram it would have to have the 12'' screen, that thing is sick!

Can't get the 12" in anything under their Laramie trim? I know, I love the 12" screen too, but that screen is kinda too busy. And I have been reading that a lot of people are complaining about how buggy it is, while it seems the 8.5" screen is fairly hassle free. Since you can't get the Rebel in the Laramie trim, you can't get the 12" screen.

In the current Rebels, the red accents on the door panel and seats are absolutely horrendous and make me wonder if the people at Dodge were color blind when they put it together. it looks like total garbage. We wouldn't buy it in this iteration. Having said that, they usually offer a blacked out version, which we want to check out. Also kinda hoping that the 12" screen may become available in it next year when we are more likely to pull the trigger once I see how the E-torque system plays out a bit.

Darell_n
09-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Can't get the 12" in anything under their Laramie trim? I know, I love the 12" screen too, but that screen is kinda too busy. And I have been reading that a lot of people are complaining about how buggy it is, while it seems the 8.5" screen is fairly hassle free. Since you can't get the Rebel in the Laramie trim, you can't get the 12" screen.

In the current Rebels, the red accents on the door panel and seats are absolutely horrendous and make me wonder if the people at Dodge were color blind when they put it together. it looks like total garbage. We wouldn't buy it in this iteration. Having said that, they usually offer a blacked out version, which we want to check out. Also kinda hoping that the 12" screen may become available in it next year when we are more likely to pull the trigger once I see how the E-torque system plays out a bit.

The electric boost will be awesome once tuners can hotrod it for performance.

spikerS
09-04-2018, 11:13 PM
The electric boost will be awesome once tuners can hotrod it for performance.

That would be cool. But from what my research is telling me, the amount of time the E-Torque is actually engaged is very minimal. It doesn't add an extra 130hp to the 5.7L 410 lbs (making it 540foot pounds), but rather, when accelerating from a stop, it starts at 130 foot pounds, and as the engine catches up to that point from 0, once it matches that 130 from the E-torque system, the E-torque shuts off and the engine takes over. From what I understand so far, that takes about 1.5 seconds.

Granted, technology is amazing and the right people with a laptop can extract a lot out of what is provided. But without some big modifications, I don't know how much more they will be able to eek out of it. But I am excited to see what they could do.

16hypen3sp
12-09-2020, 09:47 PM
I’ll piggyback off this thread since the Ram truck thread is locked.

I have been doing some research on the 2020 Ram DRL’s (Heavy duty models). The way it’s set up is the bottom and top LED brows are illuminated and the low beam is on. I was hoping to be able to enter the vehicle settings and simply turn the low beam off but I guess it’s not available in Canada. So the DRL’s are the brows and the low beam. If I turn the fog lights on when I have the selector set to running lights, the low beam turns off. Seems like Ram wanted to satisfy the mandatory DRL law using a combination of low beam and LED brows.

Dumb... wish I could disable it somehow. I just want the LED brows as DRL’s.

JfuckinC
12-10-2020, 10:23 AM

I have been doing some research on the 2020 Ram DRL’s (Heavy duty models). The way it’s set up is the bottom and top LED brows are illuminated and the low beam is on. I was hoping to be able to enter the vehicle settings and simply turn the low beam off but I guess it’s not available in Canada. So the DRL’s are the brows and the low beam. If I turn the fog lights on when I have the selector set to running lights, the low beam turns off. Seems like Ram wanted to satisfy the mandatory DRL law using a combination of low beam and LED brows.

you can buy a little thing to plug in under the dash and fuck with all this. I have one, it's relatively confusing to navigate haha... i'll look at what its called when i get back in my truck.

Why was the ram thread locked?

16hypen3sp
12-10-2020, 10:38 AM
you can buy a little thing to plug in under the dash and fuck with all this. I have one, it's relatively confusing to navigate haha... i'll look at what its called when i get back in my truck.

Why was the ram thread locked?

Thanks. Really don't want the low beam on all the time. The workaround is to run the running lights all the time with the fog lights on... don't really want to do that either. Kind of strange when so many other vehicles on the road satisfy the law with LED brow DRL's only.

Not sure why the ram thread is locked. I just searched it again to make sure and yah, it's locked.

civic_stylez
12-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Agreed. I have the 19 ram and I wish I could run it like my old 2015. I liked the LEDs and the fog light look. Now I have the low beams on all the time and Im not a fan. Ive seen a few "tuners" that allow you to mess with the LED lighting but Im definitely concerned about having issues as a few guys on the Ram forms wrecked their lighting.

16hypen3sp
12-10-2020, 05:31 PM
Agreed. I have the 19 ram and I wish I could run it like my old 2015. I liked the LEDs and the fog light look. Now I have the low beams on all the time and Im not a fan. Ive seen a few "tuners" that allow you to mess with the LED lighting but Im definitely concerned about having issues as a few guys on the Ram forms wrecked their lighting.

Yah. I don't know why the hell they opted to put the low beam as the DRL. My 2014 1500 sport had the amber LED DRL's. Like I said, I guess I going to have to run the fogs and LED brows unless I decide to really fuck with things to get the low beam off. Which I probably shouldn't... but I could at least check into it.

16hypen3sp
12-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Did some more reading on this and apparently the top and bottom LED brows are classified as 'accent lighting' which prevent it from meeting the DRL law.

Not bright enough or something? The 4th gens had LED brow DRL's on certain trim levels. Don't know why it had to change.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2020, 05:52 PM
North American lighting laws are horseshit

16hypen3sp
12-12-2020, 06:12 PM
North American lighting laws are horseshit

That they are.

16hypen3sp
12-30-2020, 08:41 PM
I guess this is the forum thread to read regarding changing the DRL's. Not sure if I should bother with it yet.

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/headlamps-drls-rant-and-fixes.2937/page-2

JfuckinC
12-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Chester hopefully that works

What was the thing you showed me to control my lights?

civic_stylez
12-31-2020, 11:46 AM
Did some more reading on this and apparently the top and bottom LED brows are classified as 'accent lighting' which prevent it from meeting the DRL law.

Not bright enough or something? The 4th gens had LED brow DRL's on certain trim levels. Don't know why it had to change.

I was impressed on my 2015 with how bright those amber LEDs were. I turned my lights off in the alley a few times and could see just fine at night with the ambient output of those DRLs.. kind of dumb that they went backwards for 2019... go figure.

Chester
01-01-2021, 03:01 PM
Chester hopefully that works

What was the thing you showed me to control my lights?

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-ram/

16hypen3sp
01-03-2021, 07:42 AM
Got more info.

Tools required to change this stuff on the 2018+ Ram HD models are the AlphaOBD software (Android or PC), OBD Link MX+ dongle, and the KaodTech security module bypass harness.

The software and the dongle are available on amazon. The harness has to come from KaodTech. It's on their website.

JfuckinC
01-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Got more info.

Tools required to change this stuff on the 2018+ Ram HD models are the AlphaOBD software (Android or PC), OBD Link MX+ dongle, and the KaodTech security module bypass harness.

The software and the dongle are available on amazon. The harness has to come from KaodTech. It's on their website.

how much does it all cost? the one chester posted you just plug in and scroll through the menu not much fucking around.. i had it so only my ambers were my DRL's. way nicer.

you can also make it so your mirrors auto close, fix your speedo for tire size etc.

16hypen3sp
01-03-2021, 04:02 PM
how much does it all cost? the one chester posted you just plug in and scroll through the menu not much fucking around.. i had it so only my ambers were my DRL's. way nicer.

you can also make it so your mirrors auto close, fix your speedo for tire size etc.

Total cost for that stuff is at least $350CAD.

Tazer costs $289USD.

So it's about the same. Tazer looks nice tho too. Will look into that more. I see it comes with the security bypass harness.

16hypen3sp
12-15-2022, 04:01 PM
Bump.

Finally did this mod today using the stuff required in the posts above. Was a little bit of a bitch trying to find the correct settings in the AlfaOBD app but other than that, simple.

Lots and lots of stuff can be changed in that app.

No more low beam for DRLs anymore! Full intensity signature lighting only now.