PDA

View Full Version : How to secure a snatch block 15" off the ground?

Tik-Tok
09-03-2018, 08:35 PM
My RV parking at my house is such that a 3' cinder block retaining wall is between it and my yard, also the parking is on the wrong side of my alley garage, so backing it in results in the trailer door being on the wrong side of convenience. It also puts the door 18" from the fence, so I can't even open it all the way. It's very annoying, especially for over the winter when I want to do some interior work.

So I want to tow it in hitch receiver against the wall, bumper against the alley gate. My initial idea is to mount a snatch block about 15" off the ground, and put a winch on the A-frame of the trailer, and winch her in. I should mention that it is on a slope, so getting it back into the alley won't be a problem come spring.

My first question is, how do I mount something to attach the snatch block to that will be able to hold a pulley system, winching 6000 lbs (trailer GVWR is 5800lbs, but stored for winter, is only about 4500lbs), but is also 15" above ground.

Second question is does anyone have a better idea than this? Wide open to opinions.

See pic of wall.

Sugarphreak
09-03-2018, 08:45 PM

AndyL
09-03-2018, 10:00 PM

For the ballers ;)

In my garage in beiseker I installed a hilti hdi-p 3/4" threaded insert - I'd slap a eyelet into it when needed, and snatch block off it.

What's the weight of the trailer what grade? We can work the nbers the resistance will be neglidgible, I'd go to ground personally and connect to trailer farther back on the main chassis.

Tik-Tok
09-03-2018, 10:10 PM
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.pylex-foundation-screw.1000110907.html

Huh. A screw pile, didn't think of that. I could make a hole in the blocks, and put one in horizontally...

For the ballers ;)

In my garage in beiseker I installed a hilti hdi-p 3/4" threaded insert - I'd slap a eyelet into it when needed, and snatch block off it.

What's the weight of the trailer what grade? We can work the nbers the resistance will be neglidgible, I'd go to ground personally and connect to trailer farther back on the main chassis.

I'd have to dig another 4' past the wall to fit that thing, lol (bonus pics of the amount of space I'm dealing with). I'm literally at the limits as it is. As for the threaded inserts, I don't want to accidentally pull the wall down. No idea about the grade, enough that my trailer starts moving if I don't have it chocked and try disconnecting my truck, lol.

Sugarphreak
09-03-2018, 10:23 PM

craigcd
09-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Huh. A screw pile, didn't think of that. I could make a hole in the blocks, and put one in horizontally...

I think you are better off pulling from the ground. I am basing that off this product for helping get unstuck on a beach https://www.deadmanoffroad.com/

Darell_n
09-04-2018, 05:42 AM
I’d put a tongue jack with a wheel on in it and push the trailer in with a truck or ATV. This is how I park my 12’ utility trailer but I can roll it by hand.

GT.....O?
09-04-2018, 06:49 AM
Silly question, what is behind the fence on top of the wall?

Possible to ask the neighbor to run a strap around the base of a tree and feed through the fence?

Thaco
09-04-2018, 07:55 AM
I'm with the other guys, go from the ground, you don't know how strong that wall is, put a concrete pile in the ground close to the wall and strap to the axle of the trailer, that'd pull you up tight to the wall.

HiTempguy1
09-04-2018, 09:58 AM
The weight of the trailer doesn't actually make a lot of difference in this case. It rolls. The force required to move it is what matters.

I bet you could get away with taking a big oil rig pry-bar and hammering it a couple feet into the ground.

And fuck hand winch or tackle blocks, mount a cheap 12V 1500lb winch to the trailer and hook it to a battery with jumper cables.

Or, the easiest way, buy this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/600-lb-trailer-dolly/A-p8528093e

A have a buddy help guide you in while pushing it with a vehicle or quad.

Thaco
09-04-2018, 10:39 AM
The weight of the trailer doesn't actually make a lot of difference in this case. It rolls. The force required to move it is what matters.

I bet you could get away with taking a big oil rig pry-bar and hammering it a couple feet into the ground.

And fuck hand winch or tackle blocks, mount a cheap 12V 1500lb winch to the trailer and hook it to a battery with jumper cables.

Or, the easiest way, buy this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/600-lb-trailer-dolly/A-p8528093e

A have a buddy help guide you in while pushing it with a vehicle or quad.

could even have an eyelet on the winch so it doesn't have to stay in place (or if you have a hitch mount on the rear of the trailer build a mount for that for the winch., chock the tires and take the winch out to keep it out of the elements when you're done. that dolly thing wont work because he has zero space between the trailer and the wall.

(maybe another wire guide near the front of the trailer on the frame to keep it somewhat straight)

Tik-Tok
09-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Silly question, what is behind the fence on top of the wall?

Possible to ask the neighbor to run a strap around the base of a tree and feed through the fence?

The top of the wall is my dog run, then a firepit area. No tree's there, but even if there were the angle of the cable that high up above the wall would mean the tongue of the trailer would be raised as it's being pulled in, and the rear bumper would hit the ground.

could even have an eyelet on the winch so it doesn't have to stay in place (or if you have a hitch mount on the rear of the trailer build a mount for that for the winch., chock the tires and take the winch out to keep it out of the elements when you're done. that dolly thing wont work because he has zero space between the trailer and the wall.

(maybe another wire guide near the front of the trailer on the frame to keep it somewhat straight)

Hmm, this pic makes the most sense so far. Keep attach point of the pile right at the ground level so nothing will bend. I was also already thinking of installing a rear hitch mount on the trailer for a future bike rack.

J-hop
09-05-2018, 03:11 PM
Stupid thought but I wonder if you could mount a hitch receiver to the rear bumper of the trailer like you would be towing something behind the trailer. Then get a hitch setup for the front of the truck as if you were towing the truck behind the trailer and use that to push the trailer in?

Probably risk damaging the trailer bumper I would imagine so might not be a good idea but someone might have an intelligent way of doing that

BerserkerCatSplat
09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Stupid thought but I wonder if you could mount a hitch receiver to the rear bumper of the trailer like you would be towing something behind the trailer. Then get a hitch setup for the front of the truck as if you were towing the truck behind the trailer and use that to push the trailer in?

Probably risk damaging the trailer bumper I would imagine so might not be a good idea but someone might have an intelligent way of doing that

I thought of that, but decided not to suggest it based on it being really imprecise to maneuver that way - with most of the length of the trailer on the far side of the axles, any movements at the rear hitch side would be multiplied at the front, rather than reduced like when towing normally with the front end. I suspect trying to maneuver it into place that way would be an exercise in frustration.

Tik-Tok
09-05-2018, 04:20 PM
That was one of my very first thoughts, as we do something similar at work with pintle hitches and tow rings. Would just need a trailer dolly at the front with someone steering.

It would be the "safest" way, in terms of the trailer not getting loose and running away. I'm trying to figure out alternatives that would only take one person though, as 95% of the time, I'm doing this kind of thing by myself.

AndyL
09-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Easiest way is literally putting a 115v winch in the backyard. Snatch block from a ground anchor (search pull pal if you dislike putting an anchor down, bury it in place)

Then remote winch with a dolly on the hitch so you can steer as you winch in.