PDA

View Full Version : did house insurance premium went up this year?

rach
09-06-2018, 08:48 AM
ok guys, what are you paying for house insurance?
mine went up quite a bit, its a new house, and im paying 1800/yr..seems high

dirtsniffer
09-06-2018, 08:51 AM

dj_rice
09-06-2018, 08:51 AM
$1039

Older house. 2000 build. 2 story. 1500 Sq Feet. Front Attached Garage. New Hot Water Tank

G-ZUS
09-06-2018, 09:21 AM
`$1200 for an older 1100 sq/ft house. Went up slightly from last year

Tik-Tok
09-06-2018, 10:03 AM
ok guys, what are you paying for house insurance?

It would be better just to call around and get quotes, or ask your neighbors. Different neighborhoods, different house styles, distances from emergency services, etc. etc. All of these come into play with house insurance, so asking on Beyond isn't going to get you any useful comparisons.

roopi
09-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Like Tik Tok said there are alot of factors on the price. To me $1800/year does seem high when I am paying less then $900.00/year. I live in a typical outskirts community, no claims, 3000/sq ft home.

C4S
09-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Yes, went up big time last few year ...

How come you guy house insurance is so cheap? what kind of coverage? or I got ripped off my TD .. *_*

roopi
09-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Yes, went up big time last few year ...

How come you guy house insurance is so cheap? what kind of coverage? or I got ripped off my TD .. *_*

I was with TDMM for many years with no claims/issues. Each year I kept getting hit with large increases so it was time to switch because they said they couldn't do anything about it (of course they called after I cancelled to offer me better rates). Send me a PM and I can give you the contact info for my new agent.

dj_rice
09-06-2018, 10:35 AM
It would be better just to call around and get quotes, or ask your neighbors. Different neighborhoods, different house styles, distances from emergency services, etc. etc. All of these come into play with house insurance, so asking on Beyond isn't going to get you any useful comparisons.

Very true. Very close proximity to a Fire Station, and Police Station

rach
09-06-2018, 10:35 AM
im with intact BTW...and i think i will ask around and compare..

RX_EVOLV
09-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Yep hard to compare. We are paying $1500/year, but $400 of that is for sewage only because our neighbourhood I guess is very high risk for sewage backup. Half the insurance companies won't ever offer sewage backup and the other half charges a huge premium for it. Did not have this problem with our old house, which was like 3 mins drive away, one neighbourhood to the South.

triplep
09-06-2018, 11:10 AM
I am at around $1,625. Main reason for it being so high is due to the community I am in, it is more susceptible to wind damage and hail storms (or so they say). I am sure it will go up even more after this year's hail storms.

im with intact BTW...and i think i will ask around and compare..

Yes, Intact had big increases to insurance premiums, I believe there was a mandated 8% increase in premiums by the government and then on top of that they had their own increase. So wouldn't surprise me if they went up 20-25%. Hence why we aren't with Intact any more.

nickyh
09-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Mine went up 12% over last year, no claims.
My broker told be it's because a couple of new clauses were added as a blanket to all Aviva homes (increased over land flooding coverage and in the event a city utility leaks on your property and needs to be dug up it's covered - forget the name of that one).

I did ask him to shop us around to be sure, and Aviva were still the cheapest.

rx7boi
09-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Couple years ago my parents' place had a faucet leak that made its way to the basement. We opened a claim but after appraisal, damage was only $1800 and deductible was $1000 so the payout would have only been $800 at most.

We closed the claim without going through with it and paid out of pocket but now that they've increased our premiums twice in a row, my dad is thinking about reopening the claim and just taking the $800 if they're going to be increasing his premiums anyway.

That said, I told him that he can get the $800 now but they're planning on selling the house and if they get another home policy, premiums will be higher so it's really a lose-lose situation for him.

Any thoughts about this?

Ghettobaby
09-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Currently paying $82.40 a month for a 1050sq.ft bungalow w/developed basement and detached garage in Acadia. I have an inground pool, which TD and The Personal said they could not insure, I also had a $15,000 claim a couple years ago when a water line broke and flooded my basement while I was away.

403ep3
09-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Mine went up 12% over last year, no claims.
My broker told be it's because a couple of new clauses were added as a blanket to all Aviva homes (increased over land flooding coverage and in the event a city utility leaks on your property and needs to be dug up it's covered - forget the name of that one).

I did ask him to shop us around to be sure, and Aviva were still the cheapest.

Mind PMing me your Aviva rep? I was with a broker before, but they dropped Aviva.. Currently shopping around