PDA

View Full Version : Panhandler moving to suburbs

Xtrema
09-06-2018, 11:21 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/royal-oak-calgary-panhandlers-1.4809920

"On a good day, I can make $400 doing this in three hours."

Working is for chums. Also, that's totally explained why I see a bum got into a Land Rover and drove away.

Under Calgary bylaws:

Panhandling is not allowed within 10 metres of the entrance to a bank, ATM, transit stop or pedestrian walkway (sidewalks are an exception).
Panhandling is not allowed between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.
Panhandlers can't block people being solicited, walk next to them or follow them.
Panhandlers can't ask for money from people in vehicles.
Panhandlers can't continue to engage with someone who has declined the solicitation.

I have seen so many panhandlers at major intersections, even 24th Ave x Crowchild.

vengie
09-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Wasn't there a story years ago of a woman who panhandled (and was well known) was eventually followed to her vehicle and home by a news agency and she drove an X5 and had a house worth close to a $million?

As a personal story, there was a man who was asking everyone filling up at the superstore gas station for their "Superbucks" reciept so he could get groceries for his family.
I was about to ask him if I could personally buy him some groceries when I noticed him turn away and get into a 2016+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland...

max_boost
09-06-2018, 11:38 AM
lol go do it then :dunno: :D :bigpimp:

lilmira
09-06-2018, 11:44 AM
It's also safer too with the proposed lower speed limit. Slow down you asshat, panhandlers are at work!

Tik-Tok
09-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Swank
09-06-2018, 11:57 AM
One more thing a cashless society would help eliminate, pretty tough to look needy with a point of sale machine.

Buster
09-06-2018, 12:03 PM
They are just asking for tips.

Maybe they should get a square machine

firebane
09-06-2018, 12:07 PM
One more thing a cashless society would help eliminate, pretty tough to look needy with a point of sale machine.

He has a smart phone... just get Square.

adam c
09-06-2018, 12:20 PM

I’ve gotten the ‘oh well let’s just go to the atm’ before, no buddy piss off

max_boost
09-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Gotta learn from the Super Mod D'z

Ask them before they can ask you :D

suntan
09-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Westhills is mine, bitches.

Sugarphreak
09-06-2018, 12:40 PM

adam c
09-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Yeah, a professional bum has a go-to script response for that. Best thing to do is not engage.

If people stopped giving money out of the goodness of their bleeding hearts, there wouldn't be pan handlers. Giving money to bums IS the problem.

Agreed, I’ve watched too many US shows to see that people use the money for drugs, no thanks

KrisYYC
09-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Anybody else noticing them in grocery store parking lots lately?

I shop at the Southland Superstore and quite often there's panhandlers offering to take your shopping cart back to the cart corral for you to get the dollar.

Last time it was a scrawny woman who looked like she was in the early stages of a meth addiction. Didn't look all that scruffy.

Swank
09-06-2018, 12:53 PM
I’ve gotten the ‘oh well let’s just go to the atm’ before, no buddy piss off

I don't see why there would be any ATMs in a cashless society.

Xtrema
09-06-2018, 02:24 PM
I don't see why there would be any ATMs in a cashless society.

I don't think RBC and deposit checks with their apps yet. And e-transfer still have a limit.

And there will ALWAYS be "ATM" in a cashless society........ :D

never
09-06-2018, 02:26 PM
I don't think RBC and deposit checks with their apps yet.

Have been able to do it with the RBC app for quite some time.

Xtrema
09-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Have been able to do it with the RBC app for quote some time.

Well hot damn. It's under the hamburger menu icon.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-06-2018, 02:28 PM
I don't think RBC and deposit checks with their apps yet. And e-transfer still have a limit.

And there will ALWAYS be "ATM" in a cashless society........ :D

RBC sure can do mobile deposit.

D'z Nutz
09-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Gotta learn from the Super Mod D'z

Ask them before they can ask you :D

Hahaha good memory! Their reactions are hilarious if you can catch them off guard

Buster
09-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Hahaha good memory! Their reactions are hilarious if you can catch them off guard

tell the story!

msommers
09-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Giving money to vulnerable populations is the worst way you can show any support to help them.

Give food and clothes. Give money directly to agencies/charities.

All the regular (like 6) posters will quickly point out how they know already but given Beyond's reach of lurkers, this has to be out there:

DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY.

CompletelyNumb
09-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Beyond meetup at superstore to beg?

ercchry
09-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Too bad venmo isn’t available in Canada yet, would clean up! :rofl:

spikerS
09-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Anybody else noticing them in grocery store parking lots lately?

I shop at the Southland Superstore and quite often there's panhandlers offering to take your shopping cart back to the cart corral for you to get the dollar.

Last time it was a scrawny woman who looked like she was in the early stages of a meth addiction. Didn't look all that scruffy.

They are IN the timmies drive-throughs now. Sitting beside the ordering speaker, holding their sign, out of sight of the employees.

D'z Nutz
09-06-2018, 09:51 PM
tell the story!

No real story. Just if you ask them for money before they ask you, sometimes they get confused as fuck and don't know what to do haha

EK 2.0
09-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Not allowed to ask for money from people in cars??....

I get asked ALL the time...even just last night...and then when I said "No'...he talked trash about my car hahaha....

Next time, I am waiting with him/her and calling By-Law....

Masked Bandit
09-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Macleod & Glenmore often has several people working the intersection and to the credit of CPS I've seen them there multiple times clearing the panhandlers away. Of course they're just back in 20 minutes but there is a bit of an effort.

Wild animals will go wherever they're being fed. Stop the feeding and they'll go away.

Tik-Tok
09-07-2018, 09:41 AM
I always offer the Tim Horton drive-thru bums a bagel and coffee. I've only been taken up on it once. If I'm walking and get approached, I offer $1 in trade for a cigarette. I've never been taken up on that deal :rofl:

rx7boi
09-07-2018, 11:58 AM
I've seen some on the corner of Shaganappi and Dalhousie Drive on my way home.

CLiVE
09-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Next time, I am waiting with him/her and calling By-Law....

...and they will be glad to process your request and be there in 10-14 days. Hope you brought a sleeping bag. :rofl:

KrisYYC
09-07-2018, 08:38 PM
They are IN the timmies drive-throughs now. Sitting beside the ordering speaker, holding their sign, out of sight of the employees.

Brutal.

Was just talking to my buddy in Ottawa. He said it's becoming common there too.

Xtrema
09-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Brutal.

Was just talking to my buddy in Ottawa. He said it's becoming common there too.

When you can earn in 3 hr what taxed minimum wage earns in 30.

CMW403
09-10-2018, 07:22 AM
...and they will be glad to process your request and be there in 10-14 days. Hope you brought a sleeping bag. :rofl:

No kidding. EK you must have a lot of time on your hands.

mazdavirgin
09-10-2018, 09:15 AM
If you haven't seen it this documentary shows some of this Calgary suburban panhandling and what exactly you are enabling when you give them money. Hint no one is buying food...

28rJqj-7pEY

schurchill39
09-10-2018, 01:45 PM
If you haven't seen it this documentary shows some of this Calgary suburban panhandling and what exactly you are enabling when you give them money. Hint no one is buying food...

28rJqj-7pEY

Is this the one where that one guy said that he did the math with how many pills a day he has done over the past year, and what they cost, and figured out that he must have pan handled like $125,000 cash just to support his addiction? Fuck me, I'm in the wrong line of work.

mazdavirgin
09-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Is this the one where that one guy said that he did the math with how many pills a day he has done over the past year, and what they cost, and figured out that he must have pan handled like $125,000 cash just to support his addiction? Fuck me, I'm in the wrong line of work.

Indeed that's the one... Everyone gets free food/clothes from the various aid agencies. All the money they get form panhandling is going to support drug addiction.

Darkane
09-10-2018, 03:55 PM
There was a guy sitting outside of Cranston Circle K panhandling. His sign had things about supporting his daughter etc.