PDA

View Full Version : Worth changing windshield, blubs before selling?

dj_patm
09-06-2018, 12:10 PM
I'm in need of a new car and want to sell my old Genesis coupe. The windshield is absolutely fucked and I need to replace one of the DLR bulbs. Question is, should I fix it before trying to sell (I'm probably going to go through a dealer) or not? If I sell it through a dealer will they ding me more for it then it costs to fix?

infamous
09-06-2018, 12:14 PM
always cheaper to do it yourself, not only will they ding you on the trade credit, the credit they give you is usually about 20% lower than selling the vehicle privately. They take off $500 for the windshield (costs them $200 to have it replaced), and $200 off for the bulb ($15 and 10 mins to replace).

how much money do you like giving the dealership?

dj_patm
09-06-2018, 12:19 PM
always cheaper to do it yourself, not only will they ding you on the trade credit, the credit they give you is usually about 20% lower than selling the vehicle privately. They take off $500 for the windshield (costs them $200 to have it replaced), and $200 off for the bulb ($15 and 10 mins to replace).

how much money do you like giving the dealership?

Cool that's the info I was looking for.

I know I'm already losing out on selling to the dealership, I just think it's going to be a pain to sell a rwd sporty car in the winter and time isn't on my side.

rx7boi
09-06-2018, 12:36 PM
You're already getting raped since none of the gencoupes are holding any value whatsoever. Definitely do it (windshield and bulbs) yourself and you'll also find prospective buyers are more receptive of the vehicle if you're selling privately.

Have you tried listing it yet? Might be able to get something between dealer trade in value and market price on Kijiji.

NissanFanBoy
09-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Ya why haven't you listed it?? You will always get substantially more privately. Dealers aren't charities.

Swank
09-06-2018, 01:00 PM
^agreed, trading in is all about the convenience and time you save which you'll pay for in the price difference. That being said there were a few things my car was needing and the dealership didn't even notice, so if you're confident you can walk away after finding out what they will offer for trade in value it might be worth taking it in to see.