PDA

View Full Version : 'Fun' cheap car

Pages : [1] 2

shakalaka
09-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Okay, time for another one of these threads but on a much smaller scale.

I've decided I am going to try and start keeping my main cars for much longer than I have been. Which means I have to start managing mileage on them a little. Before I didn't care how much I drove them since I'd get rid of them in a year. The current car was no different as I am sitting on 13K km's in 8 months! But since I've decided to keep it for at least 2-2.5 years, I need something else that I can stack up all the highway mileage on. Frequent Edmonton to Calgary trips and travel to remote court locations throughout Alberta makes the mileage add up quite fast as you can imagine.

The Harley Davidson pick-up I had purchased was partly because of this but I got rid of it as the gas and inability to park downtown at my work didn't help. Among other things such as boredom. lol. That being said I know, any 'cheap' car I get isn't going to be fun but I am trying to see if I can find anything. This one will be kept for a a long time and get a lot of mileage so the lower it comes with the better.

This is the criteria I've narrowed it down to;

2010 or newer (exceptions for maybe a GTI or something)
Not RWD (maybe exceptions)
under $10K (lower the better)
under 100K km's (lower the better)
Rest is all open. I like coupe's etc but with that price range I can't be picky.

I've looked at all cars including hatchbacks and I wouldn't be opposed to a decent one. Since there'll be a lot of highway driving, I can't go with something like the smart car - or else I would have already gotten one. lol. I would love a Golf GTI but I don't think I could get one in my price range and I need to draw the line somewhere, or the whole thing doesn't make sense.

Thoughts?

ExtraSlow
09-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Look, you're going to have to choose between a good highway car and a fun car at that price point.

You will also have a hard time getting a "good car" in good condition under that mileage in that price range.

Get something with more miles on it man, it's a highway beater anyway.

Also, lots of people told you not to get that pickup.

An accord V6 or Acura TL is in yiur range, as long as you allow more mileage.

shakalaka
09-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, something to look at for sure. I have been coming across G35's a lot and they can be had for real cheap with decent mileage at that. Only thing holding me back is the RWD aspect.

max_boost
09-15-2018, 12:39 PM
GTI for sure. Launch control baby :burnout:

shakalaka
09-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Decent year and mileage ones are out of the price range. I definitely don't want to spend that much on what is supposed to be a beater as much as I like the GTI's.

Sugarphreak
09-15-2018, 12:57 PM

My_name_is_Rob
09-15-2018, 01:11 PM
13k in 8 months doesn't sound like a lot to me, but I digress. Have you considered a TDI? Before you drive one, the stats can be a little underwhelming, but the torque makes them quite fun cars and the mileage is amazing.

shakalaka
09-15-2018, 01:23 PM
You should be able to find a Fiesta with the 1.0L turbo if you look hard enough, XNVY had one. The ST is out of your price range, but the baby turbo ones are supposed to be really fun to drive.

2015 + Low Km's

Although repaired it appears to have had a claim for body damage from a deer though. It didn't look that bad in the photos.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2014-ford-fiesta-s/1383920041?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That looks decent. Don't know much about them, are they good on Highway's? Enough pick-up to overtake people? I don't mind damage on history as long as it was fixed and if it's a good deal. Is that price good based on the fact that it had a substantial accident?

This also caught my attention;

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1383913856

But I have no idea about Focus' and Fiesta's or their powers, reliability, differences etc.

- - - Updated - - -

13k in 8 months doesn't sound like a lot to me, but I digress. Have you considered a TDI? Before you drive one, the stats can be a little underwhelming, but the torque makes them quite fun cars and the mileage is amazing.

It is when technically I can only drive 12K per year according to my lease. That being said that was never an issue as I never kept the car more than a year. But this time I'd like to keep it longer for 2-2.5 years and not have the milage at 30K or something ridiculous.

My_name_is_Rob
09-15-2018, 01:49 PM
It is when technically I can only drive 12K per year according to my lease. That being said that was never an issue as I never kept the car more than a year. But this time I'd like to keep it longer for 2-2.5 years and not have the milage at 30K or something ridiculous.

Yea that's fair. I didn't know it was a lease stipulation, and I hear the over mileage charges can be ridiculous.

C4S
09-15-2018, 01:50 PM
How about those Fiat or Abarth? heard that they are fun to drive, with manual, and with good sound, some used one are $12, 13K ..
Probably not reliable, unless you buy a used corolla .. but not so fun at all.

shakalaka
09-15-2018, 01:59 PM
How about those Fiat or Abarth? heard that they are fun to drive, with manual, and with good sound, some used one are $12, 13K ..
Probably not reliable, unless you buy a used corolla .. but not so fun at all.

I've come across some Fiat's and wouldn't mind them personally. Prices don't seem too bad either. But looking them up it seemed like the power was way too low to be a safe/decent highway vehicle?

ercchry
09-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Come on... you know this isn’t going to end up with anything that you think is “fun” ... just buy my M3... :devil:

shakalaka
09-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Lol. Feel free to bring it in my price range and I will be happy to jump on it even though RWD is not something that I need right now. Haha.

dirtsniffer
09-15-2018, 03:10 PM
This is hilarious. Everytime you want to buy a car you'll inevitably sell in a month take that money and do something more useful

ercchry
09-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Lol. Feel free to bring it in my price range and I will be happy to jump on it even though RWD is not something that I need right now. Haha.

Your cost of ownership will be under $10k when you go to sell it in 6 months... so... there’s that! Plus think of your professional image! You can’t be rolling up to court in a peasant car... :rofl:

shakalaka
09-15-2018, 03:43 PM
:rofl:

This time I am serious. Need a practical, side car to stack up the mileage on and not give a shit about.

ExtraSlow
09-15-2018, 04:04 PM
:rofl:

This time I am serious. Need a practical, side car to stack up the mileage on and not give a shit about.
I'm quiting this post on September 15, 2018, because I'm sure you are not.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-15-2018, 04:57 PM

My TDi is tuned and it’s still the most underwhelming vehicle to drive in almost all respects. Super fucking bored of it but it’s incredibly cheap to drive, averaging 6.3 cents/km fuel cost.

C4S
09-15-2018, 05:41 PM
this is interesting ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zRmgjry5w

Sugarphreak
09-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Darkane
09-15-2018, 06:40 PM
2006-2011 civic si.

Four door if required. 8200rpm

bjstare
09-15-2018, 06:56 PM
EP3, no question. They're a little older but if you can find one that isn't beat to shit, it would be a great bet. Reliable, go kart, decent seats, decent fun.

Could try a miata as well, but it's RWD and probably can't get in your budget unless you go older.

ExtraSlow
09-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Miata for highway car? Are you high?

My_name_is_Rob
09-15-2018, 08:04 PM
My TDi is tuned and it’s still the most underwhelming vehicle to drive in almost all respects. Super fucking bored of it but it’s incredibly cheap to drive, averaging 6.3 cents/km fuel cost.

Interesting. I've heard people say that about the NA gasser, but never a TDI. Do you have anything done besides the tune?

I have the older version (MK3) and really enjoy it. I enjoy being able to chuck it around corners more than being able to cruise along the highway at 140 kph though.

I've also driven the 150hp 2015 TDI, and it was alright too. I would have to do some modifying in order to own one as a DD though.

dirtsniffer
09-15-2018, 09:49 PM
Accord 6-6

Please view this ad:

2008 Honda Accord coupe EX-L V6 6sp ,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-honda-accord-coupe-ex-l-v6-6sp/1381313023?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $.9,800

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2018, 06:45 AM
Interesting. I've heard people say that about the NA gasser, but never a TDI. Do you have anything done besides the tune?

I have the older version (MK3) and really enjoy it. I enjoy being able to chuck it around corners more than being able to cruise along the highway at 140 kph though.

I've also driven the 150hp 2015 TDI, and it was alright too. I would have to do some modifying in order to own one as a DD though.

Just regular maintenance, fresh shocks/ball joints/control arm bushings. It’s a 2002 manual. I’ll be amazed if I make it to the end of this year without selling it.

bjstare
09-16-2018, 09:15 AM

No, just poor reading comprehension.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Just regular maintenance, fresh shocks/ball joints/control arm bushings. It’s a 2002 manual. I’ll be amazed if I make it to the end of this year without selling it.

Never mind I figured it out. All you need is some free 7 year old Hoosier R6s and a slightly damp auto x event. Super fun.

shakalaka
09-16-2018, 11:39 PM
What are people’s thoughts on the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. I am liking the whole hot hatchback look its got going on and from what I can tell it can be found within the price range, or at least not too far from it. Not sure about its realiability and all that though, having never owned a Hyundai before.

Sugarphreak
09-16-2018, 11:43 PM

The Cosworth
09-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Agree on the Civic / Fiesta / Fit comments. I'm looking for something similar and while there are quite a few older 1.8T GTI's and Jetta's almost everything else decent in this range seems to be Fiesta / Civic / or Fit. Even our 2012 Focus we had was actually decent fun. Titanium with some good creature comforts. Miss that car.

You should be able to find a Fiesta with the 1.0L turbo if you look hard enough, XNVY had one. The ST is out of your price range, but the baby turbo ones are supposed to be really fun to drive.

2015 + Low Km's

Although repaired it appears to have had a claim for body damage from a deer though. It didn't look that bad in the photos.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2014-ford-fiesta-s/1383920041?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Is that a Chevy valve cover? Photos suck so can't tell.

I loved the idea of an NA Miata until I drove one. Gonna have to try driving an NB, the NA is so raw but 4000rpm at the highway was not something I'd want.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Agree on the Civic / Fiesta / Fit comments. I'm looking for something similar and while there are quite a few older 1.8T GTI's and Jetta's almost everything else decent in this range seems to be Fiesta / Civic / or Fit. Even our 2012 Focus we had was actually decent fun. Titanium with some good creature comforts. Miss that car.

Is that a Chevy valve cover? Photos suck so can't tell.

It 100% is a chevy valve cover. It's not even the same car, the headlights are completely different.

HiTempguy1
09-17-2018, 09:26 AM
2010 or newer (exceptions for maybe a GTI or something)
Not RWD (maybe exceptions)
under $10K (lower the better)
under 100K km's (lower the better)
Rest is all open. I like coupe's etc but with that price range I can't be picky.

This is a really interesting question. Honda Civic Si is a good idea. Another that would be in the price range would be a Mazda 3 with the direct injected motor. They are fun enough cars, have the right zoom-zoom characteristics, but will still do well on the highway.

I'd stay away from any subcompacts (Sonic, Versa, older accents, etc).

Now, this suggestion is way out of left field... but an awd Fusion Sport. We have a company car, and let me tell you, that things revs to 7k, sounds great doing it, and turning traction control off = mad dorifto's in the winter. It handles alright, knocks down great highway mpg, and is comfy/roomy for highway traveling. I'd suggest getting one of the OLDER ones though (pre-2010) as they are a lot more angular and sporty looking with the sport package, versus the new ones that are all blobby and smooth.

The Cosworth
09-17-2018, 10:11 AM
This is a really interesting question. Honda Civic Si is a good idea. Another that would be in the price range would be a Mazda 3 with the direct injected motor. They are fun enough cars, have the right zoom-zoom characteristics, but will still do well on the highway.

I'd stay away from any subcompacts (Sonic, Versa, older accents, etc).

Now, this suggestion is way out of left field... but an awd Fusion Sport. We have a company car, and let me tell you, that things revs to 7k, sounds great doing it, and turning traction control off = mad dorifto's in the winter. It handles alright, knocks down great highway mpg, and is comfy/roomy for highway traveling. I'd suggest getting one of the OLDER ones though (pre-2010) as they are a lot more angular and sporty looking with the sport package, versus the new ones that are all blobby and smooth.

I'd really really like to find a good condition MS3 in that 2008-2010 range or whatever they made them.

http://azr.cdnmedia.autotrader.ca/image_resize.php?width=620&quality=80&image=/galleries/2007/images/mazda/2007_mazda_mazda3/07mazdaspeed3_jm_1.jpg

bjstare
09-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Veloster turbo is actually not a bad little car. Got to drive one this summer. Certainly quick enough to be fun, and has all the decent creature comforts you'd want. Definitely cheap interior, but also not the worst. I'd definitely consider it in this price bracket.... but my preference is still an EP3 (if you can find one that isn't miled out and rusty).

mzdspd
09-17-2018, 01:16 PM
This is what I would buy...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-mazda-speed-6-no-accidents-one-owner-all-wheel-drive/1384563320?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Actually on second thought, this is the car I would buy.. Oh man do I miss my old one..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2010-cobalt-ss-tc/1383220757?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

flipstah
09-17-2018, 01:32 PM
This is what I would buy...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-mazda-speed-6-no-accidents-one-owner-all-wheel-drive/1384563320?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If you can find the MS6 wagon, that would be dope. These are sweet though.

dirtsniffer
09-17-2018, 06:47 PM
I don't think they made a speed 6 wagon

bjstare
09-18-2018, 11:47 AM
I don't think they made a speed 6 wagon

That is correct.

I also recall that mazdaspeed 6's had some type of problem that made me not want one back in the day. Premature turbo failure or something like that.

mzdspd
09-18-2018, 02:06 PM
That is correct.

I also recall that mazdaspeed 6's had some type of problem that made me not want one back in the day. Premature turbo failure or something like that.

Some people had issues with turbo seals failing which would cause smoking at idle. At this point, I would say anyone that had that issue would have already fixed it.

The more serious issue with the MZR engine came from adding more power/torque and lugging the engine. They have weak rods so if you were to be on the highway in 6th gear and just floor the throttle at anything <3000 rpm, you would go zoom zoom boom and bend a rod.

ragu
09-18-2018, 05:50 PM
2006-2011 civic si.

Four door if required. 8200rpm

+1. To me, this is equivalent of 90s Type Rs but less chances of rust/ things breaking. Lots of fun without getting a ticket and utterly reliable.

ExtraSlow
09-18-2018, 06:00 PM
You better hurry up and buy something or you'll have to buy two at once just to keep your average up.

shakalaka
09-18-2018, 10:06 PM
I think I would really like a GTI so been looking for potential options that will work financially and meet the mileage and age requirements.

shakalaka
09-26-2018, 09:23 PM
From way out of the left field I came across a 2015 Scion xB. Wasn't expecting to like it and I understand it's probably an acquired taste, but I personally loved it. Manual so that's awesome, extremely low mileage too. I am going to check it out again tomorrow and likely go with it based on what I am feeling. Done a lot of research, has a Toyota Camry engine, so reliability shouldn't be an issue either and it's just quirky enough for it to be not boring and mundane looking like most cars for this sort of $.

max_boost
09-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Wth lol scion lunch box? What a plot twist shak lol you gonna look at the element from Honda as well?

shakalaka
09-26-2018, 10:17 PM
lol I know..never expected to like it! Hated the Kia Soul and Honda Element looks but for some reason this appeals to me even though they are so similar. The one I am looking at has some tasteful mods as well so perhaps that helps who knows. Haha

Disoblige
09-26-2018, 10:20 PM
My Fit would be perfect for the highway. I use it mainly for that for my commutes back to Calgary and gas is sooooo good. Save so much $ compared to anything else I have lol (V8s or Turbos). Honestly the only reason why I want to sell is to downsize the fleet otherwise if I came back to the city I'd get another one just because it's so practical and cheap to drive.

dirtsniffer
09-27-2018, 05:38 AM
From way out of the left field I came across a 2015 Scion xB. Wasn't expecting to like it and I understand it's probably an acquired taste, but I personally loved it. Manual so that's awesome, extremely low mileage too. I am going to check it out again tomorrow and likely go with it based on what I am feeling. Done a lot of research, has a Toyota Camry engine, so reliability shouldn't be an issue either and it's just quirky enough for it to be not boring and mundane looking like most cars for this sort of $.

I can almost guarantee that you won't have an issue in the time you own it.

shakalaka
09-27-2018, 10:08 AM
My Fit would be perfect for the highway. I use it mainly for that for my commutes back to Calgary and gas is sooooo good. Save so much $ compared to anything else I have lol (V8s or Turbos). Honestly the only reason why I want to sell is to downsize the fleet otherwise if I came back to the city I'd get another one just because it's so practical and cheap to drive.

I saw your Fit and was considering it but ultimately felt that I will get bored of it so fast. Not that Scion is anymore powerful or anything but at least it's a manual so that'll keep me interested in it plus it has the quirky looks which is sort of the main reason why I started looking at it in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

I can almost guarantee that you won't have an issue in the time you own it.

I plan to keep this one for a while. Plus I think I may be shooting myself in the foot too cause don't think it would be exactly easy to sell a car like the Scion xB?

Disoblige
09-27-2018, 10:31 AM
I saw your Fit and was considering it but ultimately felt that I will get bored of it so fast. Not that Scion is anymore powerful or anything but at least it's a manual so that'll keep me interested in it plus it has the quirky looks which is sort of the main reason why I started looking at it in the first place.

I plan to keep this one for a while. Plus I think I may be shooting myself in the foot too cause don't think it would be exactly easy to sell a car like the Scion xB?
Haha, yeah the resale on the Scion will is tougher if you are going to sell it.

You could get a manual Fit or something so it is more fun to drive and easier to sell down the road. I think it would be more fun to drive than a Scion XB.

D'z Nutz
09-27-2018, 10:50 AM
Plus I think I may be shooting myself in the foot too cause don't think it would be exactly easy to sell a car like the Scion xB?

It's gonna be like your chopper all over again.

rx7boi
09-27-2018, 11:00 AM
I drove a Kia Soul while I was in California and it was surprisingly fun to drive :rofl:

shakalaka
09-27-2018, 02:36 PM
It's gonna be like your chopper all over again.

Oh fuck no...don't jinx it like that man.

It can't be the same as Johnny Pag...I mean this is freaking Toyota at the end of the day and Japanese people love these cars no? Apparently really common there but called something else of course.

Disoblige
09-27-2018, 02:43 PM
I'll wager with someone Shaka tries to sell the Scion before end of this year if he purchases it within next 2 weeks.

D'z Nutz
09-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Oh fuck no...don't jinx it like that man.

It can't be the same as Johnny Pag...I mean this is freaking Toyota at the end of the day and Japanese people love these cars no? Apparently really common there but called something else of course.

No, what I mean is you'll get bored of it quick and then you'll be stuck with it for a while cause it only appeals to a certain demographic.

shakalaka
09-27-2018, 02:51 PM
I'll wager with someone Shaka tries to sell the Scion before end of this year if he purchases it within next 2 weeks.

LOL. I am picking it up tonight...only thing kinda concerning to me is the resale factor. Otherwise I don't doubt that I like it for what it is.

As for the bet..is it open to me? I will put in a grand or something. Then I just gotta make sure I don't sell before the end of the year. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

No, what I mean is you'll get bored of it quick and then you'll be stuck with it for a while cause it only appeals to a certain demographic.

Ya I can definitely see it taking a little longer than most other cars to sell but should be able to sell without having as many issues as I did with Johnny Pag and ultimately taking a $1500 hit. lol

Disoblige
09-27-2018, 02:54 PM
As for the bet..is it open to me? I will put in a grand or something. Then I just gotta make sure I don't sell before the end of the year. ;)

lol wow you jerk.

Here, I'll give you a bet. We flip a coin or some sort of wager. If you win, I sell you the Fit for $9000. If I win, you buy for $11k (which is still good). I'm bored and had too much coffee to drink; I'll prolly regret this haha.

D'z Nutz
09-27-2018, 02:59 PM
and ultimately taking a $1500 hit. lol

That's lawyer lunch money :rofl:

shakalaka
09-27-2018, 03:20 PM
lol wow you jerk.

Here, I'll give you a bet. We flip a coin or some sort of wager. If you win, I sell you the Fit for $9000. If I win, you buy for $11k (which is still good). I'm bored and had too much coffee to drink; I'll prolly regret this haha.

Oh man would have loved that bet if I was in the market for the Fit, even though I don't really gamble. That could have been an easy cool $2K in savings for a great car. Honestly, the only thing that Scion has got going for it is the looks as far as I am concerned. If it didn't look the way it does it wouldn't appeal to me. The Fit, Mazda 3, Focus etc all do that same old tired (but tried and tested) look and they just don't appeal to me. I am hoping that if I am interested in the car in more than one way (looks, manual etc) I will be able to keep it much longer.

- - - Updated - - -

That's lawyer lunch money :rofl:

I think you mean drug dealer lunch money. lol

Hallowed_point
09-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Accord 6-6

Please view this ad:

2008 Honda Accord coupe EX-L V6 6sp ,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-honda-accord-coupe-ex-l-v6-6sp/1381313023?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $.9,800

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Pretty much. Also agree that a 2009-2011 Civic Si is also a great choice. Lots of bang for your buck, low maintenance and good resale value.

gpomp
09-27-2018, 05:17 PM
I drove a Kia Soul while I was in California and it was surprisingly fun to drive :rofl:

Agreed, these are surprisingly fun cars to drive. I used to drive my Fit to Edmonton and it was terrifying, I can't imagine why you'd pick a sub compact to drive on the highway next to all the big rigs and pickups. Fuel economy on compact cars is comparable and they seem much safer.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Agreed, these are surprisingly fun cars to drive. I used to drive my Fit to Edmonton and it was terrifying, I can't imagine why you'd pick a sub compact to drive on the highway next to all the big rigs and pickups. Fuel economy on compact cars is comparable and they seem much safer.

I think everyone, even the OP, forgot this was a long distance highway car.
I fucking love my Honda fit, but it's not a long distance highway cruiser.

Disoblige
09-27-2018, 08:39 PM
I think everyone, even the OP, forgot this was a long distance highway car.
I fucking love my Honda fit, but it's not a long distance highway cruiser.
Eh. I've driven 1200+ km in the Fit in one go multiple times this year alone and sometimes in rural roads near semis parked where the road was like a curling rink (literally). That is obviously extreme conditions but I can't think of a more practical car that is that cheap on the highway. 80% of Fit usage for me is Highway lol!

shakalaka
09-27-2018, 08:42 PM
Too late now as I own a 2015 Scion xB lol. I am driving to Calgary tomorrow so I'll see how it is. It's got a Toyota Camry engine and you see those on the highways all the time, yes, it's got a smaller physical footprint but I am not worried about it on the highway power/engine wise.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2018, 08:43 PM
I wish you joy and happiness bro. I truly do.

dirtsniffer
09-27-2018, 10:06 PM
Over under on owning it for 14 weeks?

Buster
09-28-2018, 01:17 AM
those xBs are pretty cool!

ExtraSlow
09-28-2018, 07:16 AM
those xBs are pretty cool!

He'll start complaining in less than 14 for sure.

ercchry
09-28-2018, 08:32 AM
He'll start complaining in less than 14hrs for sure.

Fyp

Tik-Tok
09-28-2018, 08:32 AM
I guess it's too late to suggest a 1998 Suzuki Esteem?

shakalaka
09-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Here are some pics;

ExtraSlow
09-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Take the rack off, will improve highway mileage.

Does look sharp though. Neat cars.

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2018, 08:54 AM
The first thing to come to mind was a 2012 Civic Si. You get the 2.4L so it's at least has a bit of torque for normal/city driving and a very cheap/reliable/fun car. Couple on Kijiji for $12K. Could go previous gen if you want to have to hit 8,000 RPM for the car to do anything - I have driven and personally they are not my style but YMMV.

Second thing to come to mind was basically whatever vintage of GTI you can find. My brother had a hard time selling his mint 2008 GTI with low km, DSG, and new tires - it sold under $10K. I'm sure you could find one for a steal.

ganesh
09-28-2018, 08:59 AM
The first thing to come to mind was a 2012 Civic Si. You get the 2.4L so it's at least has a bit of torque for normal/city driving and a very cheap/reliable/fun car. Couple on Kijiji for $12K.

Second thing to come to mind was basically whatever vintage of GTI you can find. My brother had a hard time selling his mint 2008 GTI with low km, DSG, and new tires - it sold under $10K. I'm sure you could find a similar deal.
Late to the party???

- - - Updated - - -

But the K&N filter sticker on the front will offset the rack isn't it? :)

shakalaka
09-28-2018, 09:23 AM
The first thing to come to mind was a 2012 Civic Si. You get the 2.4L so it's at least has a bit of torque for normal/city driving and a very cheap/reliable/fun car. Couple on Kijiji for $12K. Could go previous gen if you want to have to hit 8,000 RPM for the car to do anything - I have driven and personally they are not my style but YMMV.

Second thing to come to mind was basically whatever vintage of GTI you can find. My brother had a hard time selling his mint 2008 GTI with low km, DSG, and new tires - it sold under $10K. I'm sure you could find one for a steal.

GTI was honestly my first choice but I didn't like pre 2010 versions and the post 2010 with low mileage are asking too much $ - like $14K-$15K plus. Saw one 2011 with 80K km's asking $13,500 and would have made an offer to him had it not been full of various damage all over and the rear bumper being a completely different shade of white - which apparently the owner 'never noticed' when he bought it from the dealer. Just seemed a little dodgy. Also saw a 2007 with 120K km's and going for $7500 but just couldn't deal with the amount of paint damage all over. Plus not a fan of that pre dual exhaust look.

But even then the value in this car is pretty good considering it's a 2015 and even though the basic warranty has expired, it has warranty one some things still remaining like drivetrain etc. The 2.5L Camry engine is not bad at all either, of course nothing to write home about but good enough for day to day driving I would think. In 2014 it won the consumer award for reliability so I am hoping it's good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

He wanted to take the rack off and keep for himself and even though I will likely never use it, I liked the look of it so I negotiated with him to leave it on. It is lowered by an inch on Tien shocks as well and has an aftermarket air filter. Other than that, completely stock.

ercchry
09-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Late to the party???

- - - Updated - - -

The bug deflector redirects the airflow around the rack... so rack can stay for maximum street credit, well maybe not maximum... needs to add a bmx to it first

shakalaka
09-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Late to the party???

- - - Updated - - -

JDM yo...don't be hating.

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Late to the party???

Who else suggested a 2012 Si? I didn't see it. Just scanned the posts though.

ercchry
09-28-2018, 09:45 AM
Who else suggested a 2012 Si? I didn't see it. Just scanned the posts though.

He purchased a car... :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2018, 09:46 AM
He purchased a car... :dunno:

You don't say :rofl: Time for a coffee...

max_boost
09-28-2018, 11:26 AM
I guess it's too late to suggest a 1998 Suzuki Esteem?

I want one of those lol It's Saul good man

ExtraSlow
10-16-2018, 02:49 PM
How's the KIA bro? I need a review.

G-ZUS
10-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Probably sold it by now

shakalaka
10-16-2018, 05:39 PM

Lol the Scion is doing great so far. Solving it’s purpose. Put on 3600 km’s in 3 weeks which would have been on the Bimmer otherwise. Been contemplating getting rid of the Bimmer now that I have this and don’t need AWD so looking at M4 and M5 again but may decide to wait until after winter anyway.

Probably sold it by now

I am actually getting two stage paint correction and polish done on it this weekend to make it shine. Maybe then I will sell it and make some money off it. Haha...kidding.

ExtraSlow
10-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Glad you are enjoying it. While I do enjoy making fun of you, I really just want you to be happy.

bjstare
10-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Glad you are enjoying it. While I do enjoy making fun of you, I really just want you to be happy.

Changing cars as often as he changes underwear is what makes him happy. One car won't ever do it... but one car a week? Now we're talkin.

max_boost
10-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Anyone buy a new Civic recently? Was thinking Civic LX coupe, kinda sleek looking, looks like a fun car to drive for $300 a month lol

ercchry
10-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Anyone buy a new Civic recently? Was thinking Civic LX coupe, kinda sleek looking, looks like a fun car to drive for $300 a month lol

You know what would be better for $300/month? An E90 M3!

saiyajin
10-16-2018, 07:42 PM

fun drive for sure ;)

ExtraSlow
10-16-2018, 07:42 PM
If you want a civic, get a used one, or the civics cooler brother. The mighty Honda Fit! Isn't the other member still selling his? I'll never* sell mine.

* well, maybe, make an offer.

shakalaka
10-16-2018, 10:12 PM

Haha thanks. I appreciate it.

I am by no means not happy with I have at any given time...it's just the boredom that kicks in. Hopefully eventually when I get a Lambo I won't get bored as fast.

Disoblige
10-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Ill pay you $300 a month for it :rofl:

ercchry
10-17-2018, 01:24 AM
Ill pay you $300 a month for it :rofl:

I can probably find you a lender that would accept this... over 96 months, and probably a down payment :rofl:

Tik-Tok
10-17-2018, 07:02 AM
I can probably find you a lender that would accept this... over 96 months, and probably a down payment :rofl:

Plus the standard CBP*

(*crippling balloon payment)

max_boost
10-17-2018, 08:29 AM
BMW to baller for me

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 09:50 AM

how has that not sold yet? Super clean 6 speed V8 M3 who doesn't want that? Must be the high fuel prices. For less than 30 grand. Market is soft.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-17-2018, 02:08 PM
how has that not sold yet? Super clean 6 speed V8 M3 who doesn't want that? Must be the high fuel prices. For less than 30 grand. Market is soft.

I couldn’t convince myself I needed two V8 cars sadly.

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 02:10 PM
I couldn’t convince myself I needed two V8 cars sadly.

I would get myself into too much trouble winding it out.

ercchry
10-17-2018, 02:12 PM
if it didnt sound so damn good it would be great on gas... manual is just too tempting to keep RPM up for the sounds. its also not listed on kijiji... i just cant deal with that BS

its also amazing how saturated the E9x M3 market is in this town

killramos
10-17-2018, 02:20 PM
M3 market is fickle, people bitch for ~the first 5 years of the new cycle that the new model is terrible and demand holds in on the old ones, after that people start coming around on progress being a good thing combined with all off-leased oil exec M3’s from the last generation start saturating the market.

Next thing you know ricers realize they can start buying them for Under $20 grand and the city is flooded with molested BMW’s and then no one seriously wants one anymore and they all become worthless.

Repeat cycle every 8 years.

25 years later they are all collectables :rofl: