PDA

View Full Version : Honda CRV - Clutch Problem - Urgent

tonytiger55
09-23-2018, 01:27 PM
2002 Honda CRV - Manual Transmission.

I went to start my vehicle, clutch down and I heard a snap. Car starts but I cant put it in gear. The clutch pedal feels soft.
Any ideas how to remedy this?
Im parked on a hill..14th st SW. Near the top of the hill. Handbrake is on, its not going anywhere.
Iam unable to push it to a side road. 14st is a bit fast and there is no parking weekdays 3-6pm.

My mechanic is in the NE.
Any ideas on how to remedy this situation? Mobile mechanic recommendations etc?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Clutch cable snapped?

ExtraSlow
09-23-2018, 01:42 PM
I don't think a mobile mechanic is going to work on yiur car on the side of a road. Probably need to get it towed.

revelations
09-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Check the obvious - is the clutch fluid empty? (burst fitting, hose)

Is the pedal mechanism working properly with the piston assembly? I had the backing nut come off my clutch pedal once and the clutch just went to the floor and stayed there. I was able to fix it after coasting to a parking lot in neutral.

Tik-Tok
09-23-2018, 01:51 PM
Call AMA and sign up for their cheapest plan right now. Wait 24 hours, call and have it towed tomorrow before 3pm. (if you sign up and need a tow the same day, they charge extra)

tonytiger55
09-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Just tried doing that right now. The office is closed.
I tried renewing online. It has to be done over the phone.

Oh well. Looks like im just going to have to bite this one.

tonytiger55
09-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Check the obvious - is the clutch fluid empty? (burst fitting, hose)

Is the pedal mechanism working properly with the piston assembly? I had the backing nut come off my clutch pedal once and the clutch just went to the floor and stayed there. I was able to fix it after coasting to a parking lot in neutral.
I thought about coasting it backwards and putting it in the side road im next to. But im sandwiched in.

I looked under the hood. Their appears to be some leak. Fluid container appears fine though.
I tried to have a look under the clutch pedal. But its hard to do as my back is to traffic and its that section of the road where everyone belts it up the hill. From my own road traffic management training, having ones back to traffic is a big nono.

I'l just play it safe and get a tow truck tomorrow.

spikerS
09-23-2018, 02:29 PM
slave cylinder?

revelations
09-23-2018, 02:38 PM
If you have a leak on the ground, its probably a slave gone bad. You will need to tow.

rage2
09-23-2018, 02:52 PM
If you have the skills you can drive it clutchless.

To get going, shut car off, put in first, starter can get the car going in 1st. Shifts you have to revmatch and gently get into next gear, let synchros do the work. Gentle pressure into next gear and it should click in at the proper revs. Try not to stop, as starting using starter is rough in the starter.

I drove from airdrie to varsity this way back in the day after I lost my slave cylinder haha.

tonytiger55
09-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Update:
You guys were right. It was the clutch master Cylinder. The slave was hardly moving.
Just got it back today with a lighter wallet. :nut:

Thanks for the prompt replies. Very much appreciated.