PDA

View Full Version : How to do Disneyland right?

Pages : [1] 2 3

16hypen3sp
09-25-2018, 09:26 AM
Hey everyone,

Myself and my gf are heading to Disneyland in October. I have worked away for most of the month of September and decided to spontaneously go to Disneyland next month since I'm back to a normal workload plus vacation in there as well.

I haven't been back to Disneyland since 2001. Gf is somewhat similar.

She likes Halloween and the park has been redone for a Halloween theme so it should be pretty good.

Since it's been so long, is there anything that we should know before hand? Any tips to make things easier? We are staying right on the east side of the park in amongst all those hotels. Easy walk to the east park gate. And has anyone used a Magic Morning Pass before where you go in early before the public?

CompletelyNumb
09-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Buy every pass upgrade you can. Early access. Skip the line. Meet the princesses. Whatever.

Being a "standard ticket holder" in Disneyland is worse than flying coach on Air China.

Buster
09-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Get the app and never do anything but fastpasses

TomcoPDR
09-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Hey everyone,

Myself and my gf are heading to Disneyland in October. I have worked away for most of the month of September and decided to spontaneously go to Disneyland next month since I'm back to a normal workload plus vacation in there as well.

I haven't been back to Disneyland since 2001. Gf is somewhat similar.

She likes Halloween and the park has been redone for a Halloween theme so it should be pretty good.

Since it's been so long, is there anything that we should know before hand? Any tips to make things easier? We are staying right on the east side of the park in amongst all those hotels. Easy walk to the east park gate. And has anyone used a Magic Morning Pass before where you go in early before the public?

Was there Jan, 2018.

My brother organized it... all I can say is fastpass. And it’s great you can download an app that gives you live lineup wait times.

If it’s just your gf the two of you. Considering pre explaining to her, going into the single rider line up, as most times you’ll end up side by side if you line up together. Unless you don’t wanna chance it some random dude sitting beside her.

We stayed @ the Hyatt 2 blocks from the gate, I just remember brother and SIL pounding on my room 7am cause they want to check in our fastpass for reserved section for that night show, in the app you can link multi tickets to 1 phone.

There’s ride share p/u area right in front of the front gate.

We didn’t use the magic morning pass, January is when Americans thinks it’s freezing I’ve notice their theme parks would be in slow season imo. 8am regular gate opening was enough to get 2 rides without much lineup (during those two rides you can be on your app, queuing your fastpass)

rx7boi
09-25-2018, 10:09 AM
There is no pass upgrade in Disneyland. Disney has switched to using a mobile app where you can book all your stuff instead of the traditional paper FastPass that you get from a machine.

Tip 1. Create an account on the app and reserve your ride times ASAP.
Tip 2. IIRC you only get 3 Magic Passes for rides so don't waste them on numpty rides. Use them on the big ticket items that have long wait times.
Tip 3. Always get to the park right when it opens if you want to make the most of your day.

The Magic Morning pass has limited utility because these parks fill up super quick regardless if it's 8am or 9am. Either way, if you go at opening, your biggest advantage is that you'll be able to get 1-3 rides done while crowds are still filtering in.

I used the app actively while I was there. If wait times for a booked ride were low, I just waited in line and either used the FastPass to get a 2nd ride or adjusted it for something else.

rage2
09-25-2018, 10:17 AM
MaxPass is what you want. You are eligible to buy it as soon as you scan into the park. Purchase is through the app.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/maxpass/

Make sure your phone has a data plan, you'll need it to plan your fastpasses throughout the day. It'll tell you exactly how much longer till you qualify for the next fastpass, etc.

Make sure you enter the photo numbers into the app as you do the rides, you get all the pics as part of Maxpass.

Make sure you link all tickets so you can manage fastpasses all in 1 place. You'll need maxpass for all tickets.

It's worth it, even if we paid $50/day for it.

I always stay at the on site hotel for the extra magic hour. That way you can do Radiator Springs Racers on the California side first thing in the morning. Probably can get through it 2-3x in that hour, more if you go as single rider. Also helps to get a fastpass to run through it for later as that ride is the worst for demand. Incredibles coaster (formerly California Screaming) and Guardians of the galaxy are the other 2 busy rides, fastpass helps there. On the disneyland side pirates of the Caribbean and space mountain are the busy ones to run through during magic hour. The rest of the rides aren't terrible waits.

Download the app well in advance, get used to it, you can view all rides wait times to get a sense of which ones have the longest waits.

rx7boi
09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
MaxPass is what you want. You are eligible to buy it as soon as you scan into the park. Purchase is through the app.

Make sure your phone has a data plan, you'll need it to plan your fastpasses throughout the day. It'll tell you exactly how much longer till you qualify for the next fastpass, etc.

Make sure you enter the photo numbers into the app as you do the rides, you get all the pics as part of Maxpass.

Make sure you link all tickets so you can manage fastpasses all in 1 place. You'll need maxpass for all tickets.

I always stay at the on site hotel for the extra magic hour. That way you can do Radiator Springs Racers on the California side first thing in the morning. Probably can get through it 2-3x in that hour, more if you go as single rider. Also helps to get a fastpass to run through it for later as that ride is the worst for demand. Incredibles coaster (formerly California Screaming) and Guardians of the galaxy are the other 2 busy rides, fastpass helps there. On the disneyland side pirates of the Caribbean and space mountain are the busy ones to run through during magic hour. The rest of the rides aren't terrible waits.

Download the app well in advance, get used to it, you can view all rides wait times to get a sense of which ones have the longest waits.

Oh sweet. I stand corrected. Is MaxPass an unlimited version of the app?

Perfect Dark
09-25-2018, 10:45 AM

I'm more familiar with Disneyworld and they do Fastpasses and ride photos much differently there but from what I've read the Maxpass worth every penny.

Get park hopper tickets, it's nice to have the flexibility to change parks if one is busier than the other.

Take your girlfriend out for dinner at Carthay Circle in California Adventure! Really great food. Go first thing in the morning and try to make a reservation for the patio. If you time it right you can watch the Disneyland fireworks show from your table and they pipe the music to the restaurant as well :)

This place has amazing dessert:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/ghirardelli-soda-fountain-and-chocolate-shop/

My biggest piece of advice is try not to feel rushed. Depending on when in October you're going it could be busy so just do what you can with the time you have there. Do rides first thing in the morning and later in the evening when crowds are at their lowest and walk around inbetween.

rage2
09-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Oh sweet. I stand corrected. Is MaxPass an unlimited version of the app?
Fastpass is available to all ticket holders. You have to run from ride to ride to the distribution booth and manually grab the fast passes. Poor people do this.

MaxPass combines fastpass and photopass as a single service. It also allows you to get fast passes through the app from anywhere within the park.

The rules for fastpass is the same with or without MaxPass. It just makes it exponentially easier to get fast passes without running around to physical distribution booths. Can’t remember what the exact rules are, there’s minimum gaps between each fast pass allowance. I just let the app manage it for me.

Edit - read this has everything. https://disneylanddaily.com/a-fastpass-guide-for-disneyland-and-california-adventure/

BavarianBeast
09-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Make some time for universal, more enjoyable if your in your 20s/30s imo.

rx7boi
09-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Fastpass is available to all ticket holders. You have to run from ride to ride to the distribution booth and manually grab the fast passes.

MaxPass combines fastpass and photopass as a single service. It also allows you to get fast passes through the app from anywhere within the park.

The rules for fastpass is the same with or without MaxPass. It just makes it exponentially easier to get fast passes without running around to physical distribution booths.

Strange. It's been several years since we've gone to Disneyland but we were just in Disneyworld back in Jan/Feb 2018 and there were no more manual paper fastpasses so everything was done by app.

I guess Cali hasn't quite upgraded yet?

Perfect Dark
09-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Strange. It's been several years since we've gone to Disneyland but we were just in Disneyworld back in Jan/Feb 2018 and there were no more manual paper fastpasses so everything was done by app.

Like I said in my earlier post they are much different yeah. Up until last year they were still only using the old school paper ticket method.

The Maxpass is a bit of a compromise as in DW you pay a large-ish price up front for all of the park pictures but the Fastpasses are free....the Maxpass is both for a smaller daily cost.

rage2
09-25-2018, 11:21 AM

Disneyworld is Fastpass+, a whole different beast where you can book a small number of passes prior to your trip.

I only know Disneyland. Disneyworld is just a gong show of wait times for everything, and flights to LA are quick and easy for kids sake.

DW current wait times:

Fuck that haha.

mr2mike
09-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Disneyworld and Disneyland fastpass setups are different. FYI.

Perfect Dark
09-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Disneyworld is Fastpass+, a whole different beast where you can book a small number of passes prior to your trip.

I only know Disneyland. Disneyworld is just a gong show of wait times for everything, and flights to LA are quick and easy for kids sake.

DW current wait times:

Fuck that haha.

Bah, it's not that bad. Once you've done your 3 booked Fastpasses you can book more. Plus if you have a younger child that can't go on the bigger rides you can game the system a bit and get an extra pass haha.

To note, I don't think I've ever seen the river journey with a longer wait time than Flight of Passage...that's crazy.

ExtraSlow
09-25-2018, 12:01 PM
I haven't been to Disney in a hell of a long time but it sounds awful. Anywhere you have to know a bunch of tricks and tips just to deal with the crowds doesn't sound like my kind of place.

Think I'll stick to Dutch creek.

Perfect Dark
09-25-2018, 12:07 PM
I haven't been to Disney in a hell of a long time but it sounds awful. Anywhere you have to know a bunch of tricks and tips just to deal with the crowds doesn't sound like my kind of place.

If it was for everyone the crowds would be even worse haha...thanks for doing your part and staying the hell away ;)

Buster
09-25-2018, 12:12 PM

If it wasn't for my kids, I wouldn't go...

Tik-Tok
09-25-2018, 12:18 PM

Yeah, as someone who's never been there, this sounds complicated as fuck. I'm just going to make my own Disneyland, with blackjack, and hookers. Or just go back to Vegas.

Quizzes
09-25-2018, 12:21 PM
+1 for MaxPass. $10/person/day. Don't worry about taking pictures or selfies (PS - selfie-sticks are banned in Disneyland, so don't bring one). Just get the onsite photographers to take your pic and scan your barcode from the app and it'll show up on your phone where you can just download afterwards when you have wifi. There are certain spots where you can get wifi within the park, so that's a plus.
Everytime we booked a fastpass for Splash Mountain, the ride would be closed for maintenance. The good thing with that is if one of your fastpass ride breaks down during your allotted time, it will transfer it to any other ride of your choosing.

The Plaza Inn has delicious fried chicken.

16hypen3sp
09-25-2018, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! Much appreciated.

So what I gather from all this is, get on site with tickets on phone scanned at the gate. Open the Disneyland App and purchase the MaxPass and start lining up the FASTPASS tix.

rx7boi
09-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Yup, and make sure you get the Fastpasses for the big ticket rides lol.

Indiana Jones and Cars Radiator Springs Racers wut wuttt

Slightly unrelated but one day we got to The Mummy Ride in Florida Universal Studios and it was so dead we were the only ones on the ride. That was awesome.

rage2
09-25-2018, 02:06 PM

If it was for everyone the crowds would be even worse haha...thanks for doing your part and staying the hell away ;)
It's about to get worse next year. With Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening up in 2019 Disneyland is projected to hit capacity regularly, meaning they shut entry down for new people and send them to the California Adventure instead. Then in 2020 Marvel land opens up in California Adventure, where it's projected that they'll shut down for the first time because of capacity.

If it wasn't for my kids, I wouldn't go...
I'm the opposite. I'm way more excited for Disneyland than the kids, all rides mapped out and ready to go for the utmost efficiency. :rofl:

You know what, we should plan a baller family trip down there, and take advantage of the $2500/day VIP service. No lines for all rides for the entire day for up to 10 people. It's a whole difference experience going that route haha.

Perfect Dark
09-25-2018, 02:29 PM
It's about to get worse next year. With Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening up in 2019 Disneyland is projected to hit capacity regularly, meaning they shut entry down for new people and send them to the California Adventure instead. Then in 2020 Marvel land opens up in California Adventure, where it's projected that they'll shut down for the first time because of capacity.

Toy Story Land opened up in Hollywood Studios this year and Galaxy's Edge is next year...that park is going to be ridiculous. They've just announced tiered pricing on tickets starting in October and the rumour is that it's intended to try and manage crowds during peak season. Will it work? I doubt it...Star Wars geeks will sell their mothers to go when it opens haha.

I'm the opposite. I'm way more excited for Disneyland than the kids, all rides mapped out and ready to go for the utmost efficiency. :rofl:

I did my 40th birthday without the kids and it was the best Disney trip I've had. No whining, no crying, just Disney and beer for 5 days.

You know what, we should plan a baller family trip down there, and take advantage of the $2500/day VIP service. No lines for all rides for the entire day for up to 10 people. It's a whole difference experience going that route haha.

Baller indeed.

msommers
09-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Honestly for a large family, $2,400 USD isn't that horrible as it could be up to 10 people. Considering how many more rides you'd get in one day with the guide vs. not, there is value in getting more out of the day doing shit you want continually.

I think after one day I wouldn't have any energy left.

Or money.

Buster
09-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Actually, that sounds like a really good idea, I;d do that. I assume we can split it between families? I'd do it just because I've turned into a massive princess about standing in lines and being inconvenienced.

I actually really liked Disneyland. We went in January and I was fully prepared to hate it. And I just...couldn't. They just execute so perfectly on all the things you need done. They've locked down how to make kids happy for decades. But what surprised me is how they basically design a shit-ton of stuff to make the dads happy. I think they know that making dads happy is really important. So they have food/coffee in all the right places, fastpass/maxpass stuff so its never really a pain. Shade. Seating, etc. I was really impressed. We did take our nanny though, so I could basically fuck off and do what I wanted when I wanted.

We actually booked a Disney Cruise for February, so I guess that's an indication of my satisfaction with how Disney does things the right way. Looking forward to it. Although like most vacation shit, it's built around families of 4 much more than families of 5.

rage2
09-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Disney Cruise, now that's baller!

Buster
09-25-2018, 03:06 PM
I've never been on a cruise of any kind in my life, so this is an experiment. People say its pretty awesome though. I didn't know until we booked that Disney Cruises are the $$$ ones. haha.

You'll have to tell me all the hot shit to do on the ship when you get back from yours.

Perfect Dark
09-25-2018, 03:25 PM
I've never been on a cruise of any kind in my life, so this is an experiment. People say its pretty awesome though. I didn't know until we booked that Disney Cruises are the $$$ ones. haha.

You'll have to tell me all the hot shit to do on the ship when you get back from yours.

We can use our DVC points for the cruise but we've held off until we can do a park trip/cruise all in one. I'm really curious what you think of it!

bjstare
09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
I could get into that VIP Disney experience once our kid(s) are old enough to remember it. That's absolutely money well spent.

Buster
09-25-2018, 03:48 PM
We can use our DVC points for the cruise but we've held off until we can do a park trip/cruise all in one. I'm really curious what you think of it!

I think we're going to enjoy it. I hope I don't regret not doing the concierge thing - the VIP boarding would be a lot better from the sounds of it.

Rocket1k78
10-01-2018, 02:47 PM
I actually really liked Disneyland. We went in January and I was fully prepared to hate it. And I just...couldn't. They just execute so perfectly on all the things you need done.

Yep! Its not just for kids there and its a damn fun time for the whole family.

Masked Bandit
10-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Actually, that sounds like a really good idea, I;d do that. I assume we can split it between families? I'd do it just because I've turned into a massive princess about standing in lines and being inconvenienced.

I actually really liked Disneyland. We went in January and I was fully prepared to hate it. And I just...couldn't. They just execute so perfectly on all the things you need done. They've locked down how to make kids happy for decades. But what surprised me is how they basically design a shit-ton of stuff to make the dads happy. I think they know that making dads happy is really important. So they have food/coffee in all the right places, fastpass/maxpass stuff so its never really a pain. Shade. Seating, etc. I was really impressed. We did take our nanny though, so I could basically fuck off and do what I wanted when I wanted.

We actually booked a Disney Cruise for February, so I guess that's an indication of my satisfaction with how Disney does things the right way. Looking forward to it. Although like most vacation shit, it's built around families of 4 much more than families of 5.

Disney Cruise, now that's baller!

Prepare to be spoiled boys. We've cruised with several lines and Disney knocks it out of the park. Nobody does service like Disney. The only complaint I can muster against Disney is that their pools are lacking (small / shallow) compared to Royal Caribbean. NOBODY, does personal service like Disney Cruise Lines.

Manhattan
10-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Make some time for universal, more enjoyable if your in your 20s/30s imo.

Werd.

cycosis
10-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Fast passes we’re awesome. I was down there a couple springs ago. The wife and I took in regular Disney land in the morning, then swing over to California adventure park for the afternoon and evening so we could have some drinks. Headed back over to Disney land for night. Rode most rides. Indiana Jones was closed though for maintenance. Highly recommend pirates of the Caribbean and haunted mansion. We did the loop de loop coaster many times.

Buster
10-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Prepare to be spoiled boys. We've cruised with several lines and Disney knocks it out of the park. Nobody does service like Disney. The only complaint I can muster against Disney is that their pools are lacking (small / shallow) compared to Royal Caribbean. NOBODY, does personal service like Disney Cruise Lines.

Awesome, thanks!

Disoblige
10-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Never been to Disneyland or world, but are you guys saying that if you have these fastpasses, you can book a spot in line and just wander the park before it's your turn? Then when it's getting close, you just go to the ride and you can go on? Kinda like reserved seating concept but "grabbing a number" via the app. Or does this technology not exist yet?

Masked Bandit
10-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Never been to Disneyland or world, but are you guys saying that if you have these fastpasses, you can book a spot in line and just wander the park before it's your turn? Then when it's getting close, you just go to the ride and you can go on? Kinda like reserved seating concept but "grabbing a number" via the app. Or does this technology not exist yet?

You have it correct. When you book the FastPass it will say to come back at a certain time (one hour window) and then you go in a much shorter line that turns a 45 minute wait into 5 minute wait (or less).

Disoblige
10-03-2018, 12:49 PM
You have it correct. When you book the FastPass it will say to come back at a certain time (one hour window) and then you go in a much shorter line that turns a 45 minute wait into 5 minute wait (or less).
Amazing! Wish more midways would implement this.

rage2
10-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Amazing! Wish more midways would implement this.
Stampede had it this year. You pay extra for the shorter VIP lineup.

Buster
10-03-2018, 12:56 PM
This is two-tier park riding. I will have none of it.

Masked Bandit
10-03-2018, 03:18 PM
This is two-tier park riding. I will have all of it.

ftfy

Perfect Dark
10-03-2018, 03:43 PM
This is two-tier park riding. I will have none of it.

There's a few more than 2 haha...don't forget about the affluent families who were hiring handicapped people to get on the rides even faster.

01RedDX
10-03-2018, 09:55 PM

friedn00dles
10-04-2018, 07:58 AM
few quick tips from my last trip:
1) download the app and speed pass the most popular rides
2) single rider lines will save you tons of time (the line up for matterhorn was 1.5 hrs long and i was able to get on within 2 mins)
3) if you plan on going to universal, check craigslist for passes (https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/tix/d/universal-studios/6714413948.html). i was with 3 others and he texted us 3 passes first so they can enter, once confirmed you pay him and he'll send the last pass. worked like a charm but im pretty sure they were stolen passes.
4) if you are staying across from disney, you most likely wont need a car unless you decide to venture away from the resort, i'd recommend using TURO.

hurrdurr
10-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Fastpass is available to all ticket holders. You have to run from ride to ride to the distribution booth and manually grab the fast passes. Poor people do this.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-fastpass-guide-for-disneyland-and-california-adventure

This is all you need to know. Having Max Pass was amazing - got on every ride we wanted to several times.

hurrdurr
10-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Just booked, flight + hotel + 3 day Maxpass came to just under $4K for 3 people, not too bad as we had budgeted $5K all in with spending/transport. May be able to hit up Universal for a day and still stay under budget.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the LA traffic. Any transportation tips? We're staying for 5 days at a Disney partner resort across the street.

Universal was a bust for us - There is literally only 3 worthwhile rides and I think the only reason why I went because I've always wanted to go on the Jurassic Park ride which is quite dated by today's standards.

We got boned in traffic because we left much earlier than we originally intended because we had done everything we wanted to several times already.

01RedDX
10-04-2018, 04:02 PM

ExtraSlow
10-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Supershuttle.

Perfect Dark
10-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Supershuttle.

Yep. This one.

01RedDX
10-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Rocket1k78
10-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Just booked, flight + hotel + 3 day Maxpass came to just under $4K for 3 people, not too bad as we had budgeted $5K all in with spending/transport. May be able to hit up Universal for a day and still stay under budget.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the LA traffic. Any transportation tips? We're staying for 5 days at a Disney partner resort across the street.

Dont go counting your eggs before they hatch lol you gotta factor in food for all 3 people and shopping.

01RedDX
10-05-2018, 05:54 PM

rage2
10-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Good point, I should mention that the food budget is separate and I also have a ton of cousins in LA who will have us over for dinner some of the nights. I just don't want to bother anyone for airport transport.

So, any particularly good family restaurants around Disneyland?
ESPN Zone was by far my favorite. Catch my hockey games with beer in hand, kids keeping busy with the video games. It closed this summer for good. Rainforest cafe was also good, kids absolutely loved it, again closed this summer. :thumbsdow

What’s left? Earl of Sandwich is delicious (and cheap), as is Naples pizza. The Jazz cafe is more for grown ups, but the kids loved that too, rocking out with the house band.

Unfortunately, I always stay on one of the on site hotels, so I don’t venture outside much for food. Really sucks they closed down all those restaurants for a new hotel which is now delayed.

Perfect Dark
10-05-2018, 11:39 PM
Earl of Sandwich is actually back open although just temporarily while they sort out some issues with the new hotel.

Masked Bandit
10-07-2018, 08:55 AM
If you're going to venture out for a Knight you can try Medieval Times, dinner & a show.

ganesh
10-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Good point, I should mention that the food budget is separate and I also have a ton of cousins in LA who will have us over for dinner some of the nights. I just don't want to bother anyone for airport transport.

So, any particularly good family restaurants around Disneyland?

If you go to Anaheim Garden Walk there are lots of different restaurants. It is walking distance from the Park.

Perfect Dark
10-07-2018, 05:38 PM
If you're going to venture out for a Knight you can try Medieval Times, dinner & a show.

The level of this dad joke is impressive.

Masked Bandit
10-08-2018, 09:42 AM
The level of this dad joke is impressive.

Thank you Sir Perfect Dark!

16hypen3sp
10-17-2018, 04:53 PM
We got back from Disneyland on Monday night. Trip went well but here are a few tips from me now that I know whats what.

Security checkpoints as you enter the main plaza between the two parks. Left and right side lines are for people with bags/strollers. Centre line is for no bag. After the first day, my gf went with no bag so we took the centre line and it moves 10x faster than anything else. Try to avoid bringing a backpack or stroller if you can. You get in WAY faster.

Gf wanted booze in California Adventure, but they wouldn't serve her without her passport. AB drivers license wasn't accepted. Apparently they don't accept foreign drivers license as I.D. Didn't want to bring our passports so we went without the booze. So if you want booze, bring passport.

Splash Mountain absolutely soaks you now. I remember never getting that wet when I was kid. Told my gf that and we hit it first day, first ride. Got totally soaked. Fills shoes with water, pants, shirt, everything soaked. Gf was upset as she had her hair done but turned into a rats nest for the rest of the day. hahaha. I assured her many times as we approached the ride that morning that she wouldnt get that wet.... so that didn't help when waves of water were landing right on top of her. If you sit near the back of the log, it's not that bad.

FASTPASS as much as you can. If going to Cali Adventure, be sure to hit Radiator Springs Racers first followed by Guardians of the Galaxy. Those rides have standby and FASTPASS lines that are horrid. Hit them earlier in the day.

Hate the lines all you want, but the place is still sooo damn sweet!

rage2
10-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Flash Mountain rocks! It’s also pretty racist which is also awesome.

16hypen3sp
10-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Yah it's probably my favorite ride there.

Space Mountain is done up for Halloween. It just pitch black and you can't see any turns coming... really throws you for a loop.

Perfect Dark
10-18-2018, 03:34 PM
Yah it's probably my favorite ride there.

Space Mountain is done up for Halloween. It just pitch black and you can't see any turns coming... really throws you for a loop.

Sooooo....like it always is you mean?

Except for the Halloween part.

min_boost
10-18-2018, 08:14 PM
when I take one of my gf there one day if she was going to get wet it’ll be the last ride of the night which is in the hotel bed haa has you all know me too well lolz #reppower so coolz

We got back from Disneyland on Monday night. Trip went well but here are a few tips from me now that I know whats what.

Security checkpoints as you enter the main plaza between the two parks. Left and right side lines are for people with bags/strollers. Centre line is for no bag. After the first day, my gf went with no bag so we took the centre line and it moves 10x faster than anything else. Try to avoid bringing a backpack or stroller if you can. You get in WAY faster.

Gf wanted booze in California Adventure, but they wouldn't serve her without her passport. AB drivers license wasn't accepted. Apparently they don't accept foreign drivers license as I.D. Didn't want to bring our passports so we went without the booze. So if you want booze, bring passport.

Splash Mountain absolutely soaks you now. I remember never getting that wet when I was kid. Told my gf that and we hit it first day, first ride. Got totally soaked. Fills shoes with water, pants, shirt, everything soaked. Gf was upset as she had her hair done but turned into a rats nest for the rest of the day. hahaha. I assured her many times as we approached the ride that morning that she wouldnt get that wet.... so that didn't help when waves of water were landing right on top of her. If you sit near the back of the log, it's not that bad.

FASTPASS as much as you can. If going to Cali Adventure, be sure to hit Radiator Springs Racers first followed by Guardians of the Galaxy. Those rides have standby and FASTPASS lines that are horrid. Hit them earlier in the day.

Hate the lines all you want, but the place is still sooo damn sweet!

rage2
10-19-2018, 06:43 AM

:rofl:

They do runs with the lights on a couple of times a year and it's terrible from watching POV the videos. Just turns into another entry level roller coaster.

16hypen3sp
10-19-2018, 09:13 AM

I couldn't remember if it was pitch black when I went on it in 2001. I thought maybe they changed something.

01RedDX
10-28-2018, 09:33 PM

rage2
10-28-2018, 10:23 PM
Fun trip! Favorite ride was probably Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!

Also went to Universal (The Forbidden Journey is amazing) and Medieval Times.
The ride is awesome because the elevator accelerates down at slightly faster than a natural gravitational drop, which fucks with your brain even more.

01RedDX
10-29-2018, 10:47 AM

Perfect Dark
10-29-2018, 10:49 AM
The ride is awesome because the elevator accelerates down at slightly faster than a natural gravitational drop, which fucks with your brain even more.

It also opens the doors a lot more than the Tower of Terror ride it replaces...I honestly like it more.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2018, 11:01 AM
I think balls hit the bottom of my throat a couple of times. Quoted.

16hypen3sp
10-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Fun trip! Favorite ride was probably Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!

Also went to Universal (The Forbidden Journey is amazing) and Medieval Times.

I went on it for the first time on this past trip. I didn't know what to expect. All of a sudden I'm being launched and dropped. Scrambled the contents of my stomach.

Buster
10-29-2018, 08:32 PM
Ya I didn't know what a drop ride was. Until that.

Good ride

rage2
12-04-2018, 12:18 PM
I think we're going to enjoy it. I hope I don't regret not doing the concierge thing - the VIP boarding would be a lot better from the sounds of it.
The concierge thing is a waste of money IMO. The perks aren't worth double the already expensive price. The basic service is top notch. Typical Disney customer service, almost everything is just done right. You won't regret skimping out on concierge.

I believe with concierge you get a special concierge area (which was packed when I looked in), unlimited/free drinks in their lounge, no waiting for bookings (we did most of ours prior anyways), and early boarding. VIP boarding to me is useless, we went early enough (around 11:30am) before the mad rush of resort guests in the afternoon and literally checked in, got the kids club watches, and walked on the boat with no wait. People that have done concierge says the staff will literally do everything and pretty much ask you if you need anything every time they see you. I'm not terribly high maintenance so really, the basic service was more than enough. The people I saw regularly recognized me and chatted with me when I saw them on other parts of the boat.

Family of 5, staterooms are interesting. I could've gone 2 rooms with way more space for the kids for about $2k more which allows us to merge the balconies. If you're a family of 4, you have even better options. The rear suites on deck 10 have an extended balcony overlooking the rear, great view, lots of room and only $600 more. Best value there IMO.

Castaway Cay is awesome. Private island, no bugs, clean as fuck, perfect beaches. Really wish I woke the kids up earlier to get out earlier and maximize relax time there.

The royal suite is baller, sometimes they come up for sale on off season cruises. I'd really like to give that fucker a try if it's available for $20k USD for a family of 5 (it's roughly $35k USD regular).

Other interesting shit, there's a lot of families that do back to back cruises. Basically 2 weeks on the same boat on 2 separate routes. Another one I'd like to try too. They literally get off the boat last and back on the boat first (even before VIP boarding) to maximize time on boat at port.

Buster
12-04-2018, 12:23 PM
good info. I didn't know we could combine the balconies...is there a removable divider or something? I was surprised at how little the upgrade was from 1 room to 2. I guess the biggest cost is the people , not the room itself. I guess that makes sense. I wasn't interested in jamming all of us in the same room. My wife and 4 year old tend to get up earlier than me and the older two...so we often split the rooms that way.

rage2
12-04-2018, 12:24 PM
good info. I didn't know we could combine the balconies...is there a removable divider or something? I was surprised at how little the upgrade was from 1 room to 2. I guess the biggest cost is the people , not the room itself. I guess that makes sense. I wasn't interested in jamming all of us in the same room. My wife and 4 year old tend to get up earlier than me and the older two...so we often split the rooms that way.
Yea removable divider. We saw some rooms with 4 balconies together. Pretty badass.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/staterooms/connecting-staterooms/

Masked Bandit
12-05-2018, 03:05 PM
You two are bloody killing me! The kids have been bugging us to go back to Disney for cruising but the pools on Royal Caribbean were way better. Now you throw in connecting rooms so I can get rid of the kids? Throw in a Star Wars day @ sea and I might as well just throw my wallet in the wood chipper.

rage2
12-05-2018, 03:28 PM
You two are bloody killing me! The kids have been bugging us to go back to Disney for cruising but the pools on Royal Caribbean were way better. Now you throw in connecting rooms so I can get rid of the kids? Throw in a Star Wars day @ sea and I might as well just throw my wallet in the wood chipper.
haha I was looking at Star Wars and Marvel at sea trips too. Yea, shit's fucking expensive, especially at current exchange. I didn't realize how much more Disney charges. Royal Caribbean was 1/2 the price for similar room sizes which is crazy. Basically a new Civic for a week's vacation on Disney. :eek:

One more tip, bring your own TP. The TP on the boat, even in the high end washrooms did a number of my asshole. Taking a shit at the airport public bathroom, the TP was like butter. :rofl:

Buster
12-05-2018, 05:04 PM
I think its a star wars them on our cruise...might be wrong.

What do you do in the evenings for child care if you want to go out for cocktails or a late dinner? Do they have babysitter services?

I imagine the TP thing is because it helps with their waste-water systems?

rage2
12-05-2018, 05:32 PM
There’s a kids club. They get Mickey watch bands, scans in and play. If you’re going to Palo/Remy they’ll call down there and unless your kids are dying they won’t interrupt you. For older kids they have access to the tween/teen clubs and just explore on their own. We had 8 kids on the trip, the 5 y/os took a couple of days to want to go to kids clubs on their own, the 3 y/os got sick of it by day 5 and got clingy. We did all our adult dinners early on so it worked out.

Buster
12-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Cool. So you never needed evening babysitters?

rage2
12-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Cool. So you never needed evening babysitters?
There aren’t any babysitters on the boat. They msg you if your kids ask to leave.

Don’t forget to get the Disney Cruise app. You’ll need it for msging on the boat. Well you don’t need it, they have wave phones that has it but I’d rather not carry a cordless phone around.

blairtruck
01-04-2019, 09:35 AM
do those with a child bring a booster seat for ubers? got a 7 year old 70lb. going to disneyland tomorrow

rage2
01-04-2019, 10:26 AM
do those with a child bring a booster seat for ubers? got a 7 year old 70lb. going to disneyland tomorrow
If the child is tall enough to use an adult seat belt properly, I wouldn't bother. Check Cali laws on booster seat requirements though.

blairtruck
01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
If the child is tall enough to use an adult seat belt properly, I wouldn't bother. Check Cali laws on booster seat requirements though.

kid falls in the law for booster required. Wife is on the way to grab this https://youtu.be/F9-n7slEctk for the little amount of travel we will need it for.

Buster
02-01-2019, 07:40 AM
Disney cruise starts tomorrow. We flew in early to spend a couple of days at DisneyWorld. God that place is bad. Disneyland is WAAAY better than World. Disneyworld has some shitty Fastpass system where all of the rides are booked months/weeks in advance. We couldn't even get on some of the better ones without a 2 hour wait. And this is low season. The DisneyLand Fastpass system is miles better.

We aren't even going back today. We got there at 11 am yesterday and the kids were asking to go back to the hotel and the pool by 4.

Lame.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Enjoy the cruise brother, we expect a full report on all the things that really matter, like quality (and quantity of alcohol) and what the yummy-mummy situation is on the pool deck.

Buster
02-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Enjoy the cruise brother, we expect a full report on all the things that really matter, like quality (and quantity of alcohol) and what the yummy-mummy situation is on the pool deck.

Thanks. I'm more interested in what the early-20s cruise staff are up to below decks. Where's my inner max_boost when I need it?

ExtraSlow
02-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Thanks. I'm more interested in what the early-20s cruise staff are up to below decks. Where's my inner max_boost when I need it? Drugs and sex, what else?

Lex350
02-01-2019, 09:13 AM
It was years ago but when we went with the kids we went 1.5 weeks before US Thanksgiving and you could walk up to almost every ride. There was nobody there.

Perfect Dark
02-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Disney cruise starts tomorrow. We flew in early to spend a couple of days at DisneyWorld. God that place is bad. Disneyland is WAAAY better than World. Disneyworld has some shitty Fastpass system where all of the rides are booked months/weeks in advance. We couldn't even get on some of the better ones without a 2 hour wait. And this is low season. The DisneyLand Fastpass system is miles better.

We aren't even going back today. We got there at 11 am yesterday and the kids were asking to go back to the hotel and the pool by 4.

Lame.

I don't think I've ever read a more incorrect statement...and I've seen everything that Gestalt has posted.

rage2
02-01-2019, 09:39 AM
haha

PD is the ultimate Disney World whore. I mean, I partly agree with Buster, much prefer Anaheim over Orlando, less walking, feels more efficient.

We didn't even go to DW when we went on our cruise and we literally stayed right beside the park. Did Cape Canaveral instead.

Buster
02-01-2019, 09:41 AM
I don't think I've ever read a more incorrect statement...and I've seen everything that Gestalt has posted.

I can't account for your low standards.

Perfect Dark
02-01-2019, 09:46 AM
haha

PD is the ultimate Disney World whore. I mean, I partly agree with Buster, much prefer Anaheim over Orlando, less walking, feels more efficient.

We didn't even go to DW when we went on our cruise and we literally stayed right beside the park. Did Cape Canaveral instead.

Haha I don't deny it at all.

Both parks have their place. If you can do more days and are willing to plan ahead a bit more then Orlando is easily the better place. If you want a short, easy trip then Anaheim is better.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't account for your low standards.

And I can't account for your inability to plan ahead. When we go we have zero issues getting on every ride we want through the duration of our trip, all it takes is a bit of research like you would to maximize the experience anywhere else you'd go on vacation.

benyl
02-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Lame.

The best way to WDW is to do one of their Special nights. Basically fast pass all night long. You are allowed in at 4pm and the crowds leave by 7pm. We did the christmas party in November: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/events-tours/magic-kingdom/mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party/

Got to ride everything I wanted to. The 7 dwarfs train is usually a 2 hour wait. 15 minutes that night. Pretty much everything else was walk on.

If you go to universal, pay for the unlimited express pass. Doubles the cost. Basically $1000 for a family of 4 for a day. We would gotten on only 3 rides if we didn't buy it.

Disneyland is way better for me as well. Probably won't be hitting Florida parks for another 5 years. I've heard people say Florida is cheaper. That is not my experience.

BigDL
02-01-2019, 10:17 AM
PD if you go to Tokyo you need to check out Disneysea

Buster
02-01-2019, 10:24 AM
And I can't account for your inability to plan ahead. When we go we have zero issues getting on every ride we want through the duration of our trip, all it takes is a bit of research like you would to maximize the experience anywhere else you'd go on vacation.

You're probably right. It's probably better for people that view a DW trip like Charlie looks at his Willy Wonka Chocolate bar. I'm too busy of a guy to gather the family around the wood burning hearth in October to re-sole our shoes and excitedly ponder our FastPass+ allocation for 4 months hence.

rage2
02-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks. I'm more interested in what the early-20s cruise staff are up to below decks. Where's my inner max_boost when I need it?

I haven't had a young blonde chick look so interested since that escort in Vegas.

rx7boi
02-01-2019, 10:32 AM
What do you expect? Anyone who wears socks with sandals is obviously rich enough to not care what others think :rofl:

Perfect Dark
02-01-2019, 10:40 AM
You're probably right. It's probably better for people that view a DW trip like Charlie looks at his Willy Wonka Chocolate bar. I'm too busy of a guy to gather the family around the wood burning hearth in October to re-sole our shoes and excitedly ponder our FastPass+ allocation for 4 months hence.

Haha, if 5 minutes is too much time for you to focus on something I feel sorry for your wife.