PDA

View Full Version : ITR Becoming a Collectable

bjstare
09-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Yet another sign that I'm starting to get old. A buddy and I have been talking the last few years about how the ITR is probably going to be come highly collectable car once we're in our 40s (still about ten years away) since all the 80s babies will have their money and start buying the cool/rare cars from their highschool and early uni days and driving up the price.

One owner ITR sold for ~$65kUSD at Barrett Jackson this year. Kinda cool to see it happen, also makes me wish I actually went through with buying one of these as an investment back when we started talking about it and I'm thinking about it a little more now. Unless perhaps they've been trading at this price for a while now and I've just not noticed it...

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1997-ACURA-INTEGRA-TYPE-R-222422

Opinions? Anyone think I'm an idiot and this will be the peak value for this car?

Darkane
09-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Yet another sign that I'm starting to get old. A buddy and I have been talking the last few years about how the ITR is probably going to be come highly collectable car once we're in our 40s (still about ten years away) since all the 80s babies will have their money and start buying the cool/rare cars from their highschool and early uni days and driving up the price.

One owner ITR sold for ~$65kUSD at Barrett Jackson this year. Kinda cool to see it happen, also makes me wish I actually went through with buying one of these as an investment back when we started talking about it and I'm thinking about it a little more now. Unless perhaps they've been trading at this price for a while now and I've just not noticed it...

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1997-ACURA-INTEGRA-TYPE-R-222422

Opinions? Anyone think I'm an idiot and this will be the peak value for this car?

We’ll see it crest 100, I’m sure.

All the people grew up Idolizing it have cash now.

C4S
09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Ouch!! I remember when Brand new was on sale for ~ 28K back then ..and the dealership kept calling me to replace my GSR ..... Ouch!

I can see Old NSX and "stock" Supra in high demanding with high price .. but ItR ... um .. especially the front end of the N/A model are horrible ... I got my GSR, and I love it, awesome machine, but I still couldn't stand for the front end ... Got the RSX Type S, lovely car, but also not good looking .. (say compare to the Celica GTS back then) since then .. Honda are in to C R V kind of vehicles .. (Chinese Retired Vehicle..)

Till now, the new Civic Type R is brilliant for $45K, and the horny new N S X !!! :love:

EK 2.0
09-29-2018, 09:46 AM
As a Honda guy....I love this...I mean it sucks for us who want them but yeah haha...

It's reminiscent of the old Mopars and the like from our parents generations that now garner crazy money for prime examples....

Mark my words guys...get onto those EM1 SiR Civics...they will be up there in a few years time...especially in stock low mileage conditions....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-29-2018, 09:48 AM
I’ve always wanted one but never had the money. I think it’s cool to see cars like this increase in value and following in a digital age.

D'z Nutz
09-29-2018, 09:54 AM
Mark my words guys...get onto those EM1 SiR Civics...they will be up there in a few years time...especially in stock low mileage conditions....

Not to mention the Integra GSR's.

I remember an old 90's article in Sport Compact Car that said those with Civic SiR's and Integra GSR's dream of owning a Type R and those with Type R's dream of owning an NSX. Now it's gonna be, those who can't afford an NSX will settle for a Type R and those who can't afford a Type R will settle for a Civic SiR or Integra GSR hahaha

But yeah, those third gen Integras never appealed to me cause of those hideous bug-eyed headlights. Not to mention they were terrible to drive in the winter cause they collected snow. Loved the JDM front end though.

Buster
09-29-2018, 10:04 AM
Maybe.

Ive been looking at the rx7... Which has a similar problem. Most of them have been abused by tasteless ricers. Or even just guys who are doing mods for more power etc.

Maxx Mazda
09-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Feeling nostalgic? Douggy boy did a pretty good review on one here, and also touches a bit on why the value is skyrocketing.

https://youtu.be/2-BfMHT633o

bjstare
09-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Maybe.

Ive been looking at the rx7... Which has a similar problem. Most of them have been abused by tasteless ricers. Or even just guys who are doing mods for more power etc.

If I was gonna buy a car from this era, it would be a stock low mile usdm rx7 or supra, or an ITR like this one. They'll all go up in value for collector grade cars, but because of the low production numbers the 97 usdm ITR is gonna go up the fastest/highest, imo.

The Cosworth
09-29-2018, 01:42 PM
I agree with what you're thinking. I just don't know the price point. My current list of cars are all 90's early 2000's cars and either stuff from High School or Gran Tourismo (no not kidding). Haha

Buster
09-29-2018, 01:51 PM
If I was gonna buy a car from this era, it would be a stock low mile usdm rx7 or supra, or an ITR like this one. They'll all go up in value for collector grade cars, but because of the low production numbers the 97 usdm ITR is gonna go up the fastest/highest, imo.

Perhaps....super hard to determine these things.

The difference between the ITR and the Rx7 is that the ITR was a great FWD car, but really only for its era. I'm not sure it would impress as much today. The Rx-7 was amazing for its era, and is still amazing to drive and look at today.

EK 2.0
09-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Perhaps....super hard to determine these things.

The difference between the ITR and the Rx7 is that the ITR was a great FWD car, but really only for its era. I'm not sure it would impress as much today. The Rx-7 was amazing for its era, and is still amazing to drive and look at today.

Maybe a big part of this is the Honda fanboi in me....But driving stock, or close to stock ITR's still always brings a smile to my face. Are there faster cars now??...of course...but there is just something, and PLEASE forgive my cliche, analogue about it and for me thats the fun factor....

finboy
09-29-2018, 03:41 PM
I still don’t get the hype, but the obvious answer is but the best jdm one you can, sit on it for a few years until it is legal in the states and the market has really heated up, and sell down there. It is hilarious to me watching people go crazy for some of the jdm cars On youtube that most of beyond rolls their eyes at due to rhd

Team_Mclaren
09-29-2018, 04:12 PM
whens the NSX gonna go up to 180k

muse017
09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Spotted a very clean White ITR a couple weeks back on deerfoot.
Wonder what the value of the ITR in Calgary.

max_boost
09-29-2018, 05:18 PM
whens the NSX gonna go up to 180k

:bigpimp:

dj_rice
09-29-2018, 05:44 PM
LOL Another collectible...92 180sx sold for $18k

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1992-NISSAN-180SX-CUSTOM-2-DOOR-COUPE-222050

Maxt
09-29-2018, 06:29 PM
A set of NOS door panels for a 88 Chev beretta might be worth something yet.:rofl:

MR2-3SGTE
09-30-2018, 09:12 AM
To me the best thing about it was the motor. 200hp of an N/A 1.8 litre in the 90's? v6's were hardly making that much back then. And at almost 9k rpm. That was at the pinnacle of vtec as well. The K series motor kind of tamed it down since then

rage2
09-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Im still impressed with the ITR. I wrote up a review of a beyonder’s Jdm ITR a couple years ago. I decided to look for one before the summer and was blown away by the pricing so I gave up. It’s a spectacular handling car even today, especially the early lighter JDM models.

Edit - http://www.beyond.ca/canadian-jdm-invasion-honda-integra-type-r/39430.html

I wanted to buy one after writing up that review. Shouldn’t have procrastinated.

Sugarphreak
09-30-2018, 03:35 PM

Buster
09-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Im still impressed with the ITR. I wrote up a review of a beyonder’s Jdm ITR a couple years ago. I decided to look for one before the summer and was blown away by the pricing so I gave up. It’s a spectacular handling car even today, especially the early lighter JDM models.

Edit - http://www.beyond.ca/canadian-jdm-invasion-honda-integra-type-r/39430.html

I wanted to buy one after writing up that review. Shouldn’t have procrastinated.

I haven't driven one of the JDM ones, and haven't driven one in years. So I'm working off old memories. I do remember largely thinking the same thing as Demuro here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BfMHT633o

Good. But more "for the era" good.

I think it has two things going against it compared to, say, the Rx-7...one of which is that it's not a unique platform. And not RWD, in the end.

BavarianBeast
09-30-2018, 04:08 PM
I’ve never been a Japanese car guy, but I can’t understand the appeal for an ITR. Front wheel drive, high revving 4 cyl with a cheap interior. What am I missing? It’s not even good for the era, the German competition was producing better cars in the late 80s.

Buster
09-30-2018, 04:20 PM
I’ve never been a Japanese car guy, but I can’t understand the appeal for an ITR. Front wheel drive, high revving 4 cyl with a cheap interior. What am I missing? It’s not even good for the era, the German competition was producing better cars in the late 80s.

hmm.

BMW was making the E36 M3, which wasn't very good.

AMG made the C36 and then the C43 aroudn the same era. Good cars, but not quite doing what the ITR was doing at the time in terms of raw go-kart handling.

Darkane
09-30-2018, 04:53 PM

No they weren’t.

Trivia: did you know the Type R engine had a hand polished head? They could only produce about 25 a day. Honda also lost money on all they built.

In 1998 the jdm model had 210ps, or 206 hp if I recall. It had a 2.5” collector from the factory, on a NA 1.8L! Very cool.

BavarianBeast
09-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Same era, Audi had the B5 S4 which was faster around the track, straight line and all weather.

BMWs e36 M3 was not the greatest but still a better build and faster round the track. Z3M too.

Mercedes was building crappy cars around this time, but the C36 wasn’t much slower than the type r.

For Japanese Nissan’s GTR both R32 & R34 are better performers along with Subaru’s Wrx Sti 2.0.

All the cars listed are more fun to drive imho too, so what’s the appeal?

D'z Nutz
09-30-2018, 05:04 PM

How much were they at the time of writing that article?

Did you read that article? rage2 pretty much outlines the appeal of the ITR, especially the early JDM ones.

BavarianBeast
09-30-2018, 05:21 PM
So it has good power to weight ratio, and handling. This can be said about a lot of cars from that time and accessibility of ownership seems to no longer be a factor. I still can’t help to think Honda fanboys are really the only ones drawn to the vehicle and causing it to become a collectible. :guns:

danno
09-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Not sure on the numbers but the itr is a pretty rare car, I’ve been watching on BAT and most are about 30k usd. B5 s4 not rare at all, b5 rs4 very rare would definitely bring big money if in North America.

End of the day I ageee it’s a fanboy car, just like most muscle cars for the 60’s and 70’s. But what car really isn’t. What’s the best performing car for the money?? Itr has to be up there. Probably contradicting myself just thinking out loud.

rage2
09-30-2018, 07:42 PM
How much were they at the time of writing that article?
If I remember right, $6k for a car that needs work, $10k for one that’s perfect.

So it has good power to weight ratio, and handling. This can be said about a lot of cars from that time and accessibility of ownership seems to no longer be a factor. I still can’t help to think Honda fanboys are really the only ones drawn to the vehicle and causing it to become a collectible. :guns:
The low weight is the draw, the handling characteristics that makes it feel like a go-kart through transitions. I’m also a huge fan of the early Miatas with upgraded suspension for the same reason, and I’m not a Mazda fanboy haha. I also loved my Yaris for the same reason after nailing the suspension setup. The ITR is a great combo of power, weight and well sorted suspension right out of the box.

None of those cars are going to win races on a road course, but that’s not what they’re about.

muse017
10-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Wonder what this thing worth nowaday? It was really clean ITR that I've seen in a while

infamous
10-03-2018, 04:07 PM

Wonder what this thing worth? It was really clean ITR that I've seen in a while

judging by the BaT prices, $20k-45k USD for the clean ones :eek:

https://bringatrailer.com/acura/integra-type-r/

HiTempguy1
10-03-2018, 04:26 PM
I don't understand the whole "collector" mentality with any car and their associated pricing.

If you like a car, buy it and drive it. I don't really see a point in a "whatif" of having bought a car at $15k and reselling it for $40k. Sure, its a good penny to make, but the reason I cared about the car in the first place would be DRIVING IT. In order to maintain its value, I'm probably going to have to drive it minimally or even not at all.

And while the ITR is certainly an amazing car, my main issue with it is you can easily build a car that is as good, if not better, than a ITR for less with practically any Integra shell. For its time, it was a great car. I can get a super fresh, clean, rust free Integra shell for nothing, and for $10k-$15k have a better car than a ITR at half the price.

As for the guy trying to compare a B5 S4 to a ITR, LAWL. That's like comparing apples and rocks. They're not remotely the same thing, I've driven both. A CTSV is faster around the track than an ITR, but I'd take an ITR any day.

88CRX
10-03-2018, 04:51 PM
I don't understand the whole "collector" mentality with any car and their associated pricing.

If you like a car, buy it and drive it. I don't really see a point in a "whatif" of having bought a car at $15k and reselling it for $40k. Sure, its a good penny to make, but the reason I cared about the car in the first place would be DRIVING IT. In order to maintain its value, I'm probably going to have to drive it minimally or even not at all.

And while the ITR is certainly an amazing car, my main issue with it is you can easily build a car that is as good, if not better, than a ITR for less with practically any Integra shell. For its time, it was a great car. I can get a super fresh, clean, rust free Integra shell for nothing, and for $10k-$15k have a better car than a ITR at half the price.

As for the guy trying to compare a B5 S4 to a ITR, LAWL. That's like comparing apples and rocks. They're not remotely the same thing, I've driven both. A CTSV is faster around the track than an ITR, but I'd take an ITR any day.

People do all sorts of crazy things with their own money. I tend to agree that cars should be driven but how can someone not understand why other would not drive their cars all the time?

Also most ITR (and regular Integra) parts are discontinued. You want to see crazy $$$ check out some of the rare ITR parts haha. Truck mat anyone?

sabad66
10-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Always loved these but only with a jdm front end conversion. The circle lights just looked weird to me

I think S2000s are also becoming collector cars as time goes on. Last time I checked, clean ones were around 25-30k for a 2000 which seems high for an 18 year old car

I think the 5th gen preludes will be next. Would love to get my hands on a clean, low mileage one before that happens... hopefully in the next two years or so

bjstare
10-04-2018, 08:12 AM
S2000 will definitely continue to appreciate, hard to say if AP1 or AP2 will do better... AP1 revs to 9k, but AP2 is apparently better in every other respect.

RE: 5th gen prelude... I don't see this going up like an S2K. They were huge production numbers in comparison and not that special of a car. It's like saying a normal 2001 Integra is going to go up.... edit: yes perfect examples will go up, but unlikely that they'll keep up with S2K appreciation IMO.

infamous
10-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Always loved these but only with a jdm front end conversion. The circle lights just looked weird to me

I think S2000s are also becoming collector cars as time goes on. Last time I checked, clean ones were around 25-30k for a 2000 which seems high for an 18 year old car

I think the 5th gen preludes will be next. Would love to get my hands on a clean, low mileage one before that happens... hopefully in the next two years or so

hate to break it to you but they are already on the collectors market and going up significantly in value; once again BaT helps haha

https://bringatrailer.com/honda/prelude/

a nice example live right now 61k miles type sh 5 speed $9800 USD!!! i'm guessing this one will finish at about $11,500......

infamous
10-04-2018, 08:19 AM
S2000 will definitely continue to appreciate, hard to say if AP1 or AP2 will do better... AP1 revs to 9k, but AP2 is apparently better in every other respect.

RE: 5th gen prelude... I don't see this going up like an S2K. They were huge production numbers in comparison and not that special of a car. It's like saying a normal 2001 Integra is going to go up.... unlikely IMO.

i disagree with you. the problem is nobody thought to ever keep a clean low mileage civic or integra. they have almost all been either driven into the ground, crashed, or riced out. To find a super clean rust free cared for example is getting harder and harder. and people are willing to pay for clean. check out the integra sedan at $8000 USD for auction; they are definitely going up in value!

https://bringatrailer.com/acura/integra/

bjstare
10-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I'm not surprised by those values.. I said they won't go up like an S2K, but didn't mean to say they won't go up at all (at the end of my post when I said a normal Integra won't go up, I meant it won't go up as much as S2K. edited to fix)

infamous
10-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I'm not surprised by those values.. I said they won't go up like an S2K, but didn't mean to say they won't go up at all (at the end of my post when I said a normal Integra won't go up, I meant it won't go up as much as S2K. edited to fix)

yeah but lets be honest, what was the difference in MSRP on them both? if you take that into account i'm sure the preludes/integras are at a better profit % over the S2k (from my 2 mins googling s2k started at 33k and prelude type sh top of the line ended at 25k)

HiTempguy1
10-04-2018, 10:05 AM
but how can someone not understand why other would not drive their cars all the time?

I get the reasoning. I just, PERSONALLY, think the reasoning is illogical.

And I disagree strongly with "most Integra parts are discountinued". I can build an Integra from the ground up from a bare shell with practically every single part being purchased new. Yes, ITR parts aren't available because so few were made, not a lot of parts were available. What I said was, I can BUILD a better Integra than a ITR.

sabad66
10-04-2018, 01:40 PM
hate to break it to you but they are already on the collectors market and going up significantly in value; once again BaT helps haha

https://bringatrailer.com/honda/prelude/

a nice example live right now 61k miles type sh 5 speed $9800 USD!!! i'm guessing this one will finish at about $11,500......

damn, it's already begun. thanks for the heads up about BaT. have never seen this site before but seems like a good place to find niche vehicles in good shape.

4WARNED
10-04-2018, 03:44 PM
damn, it's already begun. thanks for the heads up about BaT. have never seen this site before but seems like a good place to find niche vehicles in good shape.

That site has put so many purchase and/or flip quick ideas in my head....it's a game amongst my circle of work buddies to figure out what the next sky rocketing car will be.

my short list of cars that will be worth some bucks (but good luck trying to find one at a reasonable price or one with NO MODIFICATIONS and LHD).

early 90's twin turbo 300ZX
Early 90's MR2 turbo
90-93 Eagle talon TSI awd
87-93 5.0L Mustang GT (and similar year IROC's and trans ams with the 5.7)

It's no different than the muscle car boom - guys were in highschool when these cars came out and couldn't get them back then...but are willing to pay top dollar to get them now.

Disclaimer - i can't afford those german cars (P, BMW, Merc, etc.) so my list is biased by my wallet/exposure.

Hallowed_point
10-04-2018, 04:13 PM
I think these LT4 4th gen f bodies will see a jump. Prices are already quite high. I think it's the sweet spot before muscle cars became too heavy or loaded up with safety features.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/1997-pontiac-firehawk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTynXyOAXU

Maxx Mazda
10-04-2018, 11:42 PM
I think these LT4 4th gen f bodies will see a jump. Prices are already quite high. I think it's the sweet spot before muscle cars became too heavy or loaded up with safety features.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/1997-pontiac-firehawk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTynXyOAXU

I remember building a 1/24 scale model of a fire hawk when I was a kid. Such a mint car.

Hallowed_point
10-05-2018, 02:15 PM

And I disagree strongly with "most Integra parts are discountinued". I can build an Integra from the ground up from a bare shell with practically every single part being purchased new. Yes, ITR parts aren't available because so few were made, not a lot of parts were available. What I said was, I can BUILD a better Integra than a ITR.

I agree with you. I have a somewhat "rare" car as they made 2,950 Camaro SS cars in 1997 of which only 161 had t tops with Level 2 suspension. I don't winter drive it, but have put 8,000 kms on it in less than 6 months. I find most problems occur with cars when you let them sit (oil leaks, flat spots in tires, ac stops working etc.) I'm still hesitant to do internal engine work as I'd like to preserve the value, but I also realize that it's not in concourse condition and it's a niche market. I think it's kinda nerdy to not drive a car just for the sake of "investment value."

ShermanEF9
10-05-2018, 02:32 PM

Even discontinued parts doesn't matter. it shares a ton with the civic sir/si/normal person, and the GSR, GS, RS, LS integras. anything that doesn't fit off any of those, you can still find loads of parts online. they don't have anything wildly different from those.

I also don't see how one selling for an outrageous amount of money makes it collectable. maybe, MAYBE a super clean OEM example with like 5km and 0 farts in the seat, but not any from this province.

88CRX
10-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Better as in faster in the 1/4 mile or around a track? Big deal.

People want OEM, stock, low km, original examples. Not modded/riced out base integras.

Sugarphreak
10-06-2018, 01:07 AM

rage2
10-06-2018, 06:57 AM
I've actually been wondering how the ITR compares with the new Civic Type R

I know they are from two totally different worlds, but if you were to ignore that and just focus on the fun factor above all else, would the ITR be more fun than the new Type-R?
Depends what your values are for fun. ITR isn’t as fast in straight line or corners, but it’s more responsive on throttle and handling. Shit that ITR is good at doesn’t translate to lap times at all.

ExtraSlow
10-06-2018, 07:54 AM
The old ITR probably feels faster though. So much lighter that you'd feel and hear every pebble on the road.

Newer cars are quieter and better isolated.

A2VR6
10-06-2018, 08:27 AM

I know they are from two totally different worlds, but if you were to ignore that and just focus on the fun factor above all else, would the ITR be more fun than the new Type-R?

ITR is much more raw than the CTR. The two cars couldnt be more different. If I had to pick a car to drive once a week for an hour id say the ITR. But as an everyday car the CTR blows it out of the water. Maybe im getting old but I find I get tired if I drive the ITR for more than an hour at a time.

The ITR's steering is far superior as well as the visibility and driving position. I actually dont find the turbo lag that bad on the CTR but the ITR being NA does have better throttle response. However after driving the ITR/CTR back to back you really notice the lack of power in the ITR. The CTR pulls like a freight train in comparison to the ITR. The ride quality/seats/usability are superior in the CTR. The CTR definitely feels much faster than the ITR

88CRX
10-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Figured you’d chime in.

Being able to drive them back to back :thumbsup:

gpomp
10-06-2018, 02:08 PM

Other than sharing the Type R badge, the two cars are very different.

The CTR isn't a modern day ITR, the Fiesta ST is. :devil:

moyz
10-10-2018, 01:33 AM
https://youtu.be/6FThAekeWJg

mr2mike
10-10-2018, 07:06 AM
It's no different than the muscle car boom - guys were in highschool when these cars came out and couldn't get them back then...but are willing to pay top dollar to get them now.
^^^ This.

Also the daily drivers that everyone had then suddenly, they're all rusted and in the junk yard and you held yours for 30 years in the garage to sell it for $20K beyond asking.

HiTempguy1
10-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Better as in faster in the 1/4 mile or around a track? Big deal.

People want OEM, stock, low km, original examples. Not modded/riced out base integras.

No, better as in every objective measure of "better" in a car. You can recreate the raw feel of an ITR while still making a car that excels in other areas. End of the day, the ITR was based on a chassis and technology developed in the late 80's/early 90's.

You can make a lighter, less nvh, faster, and better handling integra than an ITR.

I get that there is desirability in having that pure experience of the original unmolested, but then you need to drive it, which defeats the purpose of it being a collectible because putting mileage on it makes it not as valuable. It is literally the "marry a pornstar and don't fuck her so she's fresh for her next husband". The allure of cars is DRIVING them. That's their purpose, is mobility.

See what I mean? Zero logic. For the price, you can make a "ITR+" better, and I'd bet cheaper. And then you can drive the piss out of it anytime you want, not worrying about its collectible value.

Truly, owning any vehicle for its collectible value is a #FWP.

I also think its a terrible investment in general. Very few people get lucky to have a car in their possession that rapidly appreciates in value, but even if they do it ties up a decent amount of cash in an item that is not easily sold.

Hallowed_point
10-10-2018, 09:32 AM
No, better as in every objective measure of "better" in a car. You can recreate the raw feel of an ITR while still making a car that excels in other areas. End of the day, the ITR was based on a chassis and technology developed in the late 80's/early 90's.

You can make a lighter, less nvh, faster, and better handling integra than an ITR.

I get that there is desirability in having that pure experience of the original unmolested, but then you need to drive it, which defeats the purpose of it being a collectible because putting mileage on it makes it not as valuable. It is literally the "marry a pornstar and don't fuck her so she's fresh for her next husband". The allure of cars is DRIVING them. That's their purpose, is mobility.

See what I mean? Zero logic. For the price, you can make a "ITR+" better, and I'd bet cheaper. And then you can drive the piss out of it anytime you want, not worrying about its collectible value.

I also think its a terrible investment in general. Very few people get lucky to have a car in their possession that rapidly appreciates in value, but even if they do it ties up a decent amount of cash in an item that is not easily sold.

True. Even if your car is worth XX dollars, finding that buyer is no easy task. Everyone wants a mint car for low bucks. Cars are for driving as you say :clap:

EK 2.0
10-10-2018, 11:00 AM

The same can be applied to a lot of hobbies/interests.

I have a sneaker collection that is always hovering around the 200-ish mark now that I have cut down...but a lot of them have never seen the light of the day since I brought them home from the store....Some people just want to keep...not to use...

We look at cars and wanna enjoy them. Some look at them as pieces of "art" they wanna keep pristine and clean....

98type_r
10-10-2018, 11:30 AM
I sure do miss mine, but I put 8 years and 180,000 km on it. It was a blast to drive, even on a couple of roadtrips to Vancouver.

88CRX
10-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Some people just want 'better' examples of original OEM cars. Which can't be built in your garage ITR+ style.

Also I don't feel the need to argue over what other people want to spend their money on :nut:

HiTempguy1
10-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Also I don't feel the need to argue over what other people want to spend their money on :nut:

Except you just did. Sorry that you can't have any satisfaction in righteousness over someone else's opinion, you lost that game the moment you replied :p

The same can be applied to a lot of hobbies/interests.

100%. I don't get the art of collecting unless there is some other intrinsic use for the item. The only thing other types of collecting has going for it is that the initial investment isn't $20k and that's it, you wait 20 years. You, with your shoes, have an actual ability to enjoy the process occasionally, when new shoes come out, or rare ones pop up. With a car its one and done, you aren't going to buy 15 rare cars and sit on them for 20 years (generally, I'm sure there is like 5 crazy guys out there that do that). Or if you're rich and its a power/show of wealth thing.

bjstare
10-10-2018, 12:32 PM
We get it, you can't relate to the idea of a collector car.

That doesn't mean the idea itself is flawed, it just means you don't buy into it.

I'd buy a minty ITR to just have in the garage someday... but there's a long list of (driveable) cars that I'd want to have before going down that road.