PDA

View Full Version : Any Furnace Techs?

Thaco
10-01-2018, 05:12 PM
Fixing my brother's furnace for him, its an old ass lenox, from the 70's in a farm house out in the boonies....

Anyway, at first i thought it was the bushings, so i bought and installed new bushings, and just before i got it completely re-assembled, i realised it wasn't actually the bushings, it was the squirrel fan, the fins had separated from the "hub" i guess you'd call it.... anyway, is there a way to re-weld/balance this? or is it going to require a new cage... i have looked around online and cant really find a place to get one... and if i can re-weld it myself for nothing i don't wanna spend $200+ on a new cage...

the furnace is a Lennox G8-150-1

(pic stolen from amazon, just to help you understand what happened) the fins and hub separated where the red line is.

dj_rice
10-01-2018, 05:46 PM
You can try AMRE Supply. They have odd-ball stuff there for old machines

Thaco
10-01-2018, 05:59 PM
You can try AMRE Supply. They have odd-ball stuff there for old machines

yeah thats where i got the bushings, doesn't look like they have the fan, i went to fagnans (i have bought a couple motors from them before) but they wont know til tomorrow, their regular parts guy and supplier were both gone by the time i got there.

Darell_n
10-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Soper’s Supply will hook you up with a new squirrel cage for that Lennox. They are one of the experts in the city, and I wouldn’t try repairing the old one.

Thaco
10-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Soper’s Supply will hook you up with a new squirrel cage for that Lennox. They are one of the experts in the city, and I wouldn’t try repairing the old one.

thanks i'll give them a shout tomorrow.

Thaco
10-04-2018, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, i actually had gone to fagnans before i posted this and they said they'd have to get back to me because their supplier closed at 4:30, conveniently, sopers closes at 4:30, and there were 4 hvac trucks outside there when i went the next day, lol, i am assuming fagnans would have just bought from them and marked it up. But fagnans never did call me back, so i wont be going back to them anyway

Darell_n
10-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Yes, Fagnans is a contractor, not a supplier.

Thaco
10-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Yes, Fagnans is a contractor, not a supplier.

yeah i just go to them because they are close to me and i have gone there before for a motor, they seemed to know wtf they were doing so i didnt care that it was more money, lol, i just needed the motor NOW because it was the dead of winter, -25 outside with no heat makes for a long night..