PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Fairladys

Drift Master
03-27-2004, 04:40 PM
I know I'm a little young to be thinking about restoring a car, but I would like to know whats involved anyways.

I like the old Datsun 240Z/280Z (Prefer the 280z though), and I was just wondering how much it would cost/how much time it would take to restore a 280z thats in decent shape. I know that a lot could be involved, depending in the condition of the car, like re-upholstering the interior, getting the frame fixed because of possible rust, exterior work, engine work, etc., etc.

I think I saw that one (or more?) people on this forum have a Fairlady, so I was just hoping that I could get a little insight on the work involved.

Thanks for your help!

Ducati
03-27-2004, 05:08 PM
The Fairlady preceeded the Z.

When I redid a 240Z, my biggest challenge was rust. Fortunately, the body comes apart easily and the body parts are available in metal, still, The running gear was still good. It was an exceptionally easy car to work on.

I have a fascination with the Fairlady, too. They resemble the old MGB. Only more reliable and better engineered.

Drift Master
03-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Interesting...so you just bought new body panels, or dod you grind off all the rust and bondo-ed/fiberglassed the holes?

Do you mind if I ask how much the car itself was and what the repairs costed? And how was the condition of the original car and kms on the engine?