PDA

View Full Version : Mexico - Caribbean vs. Pacific Coast

Masked Bandit
10-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Hello Beyond,

I'm looking for first hand experience on families that have traveled at least a few times to both the East & West coasts of Mexico. We've been to the Mayan Riviera area (Cancun down to Tulum) several times but the seaweed situation seems to be getting worse, not better. We're thinking about giving the Pacific side a try but I don't know much about the decent areas. Is Puerto Vallarta the place to be over there or is there a different area you have been to and would recommend?

TIA

ExtraSlow
10-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Waters a little cooler on the Pacific side. Have heard good things about Loreto and cabo, but only secondhand.

adam c
10-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Only been to PV once but we couldn’t swim in the ocean, the waves and current was too strong, not sure if that’s when we were there or a normal thing

lasimmon
10-08-2018, 11:05 AM
Been to both sides plenty of times.

Have had good experiences in both PV and Cabo on the pacific side.

spike98
10-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Been to both and the Pacific side is way nicer but the water seemed much colder. Cabo by far is the nicest place I have been to date.

That said, we are going to Tulum this winter to check out a dreams resort that we have been wanting to see.

ExtraSlow
10-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Water colder and waves much rougher on Pacific side for sure.

thinmyster
10-08-2018, 07:19 PM
We went to the Dreams resort in Huatulco last year. Strongly considering going back again in November. We have two young kids so we don't venture out of the resort much. Been to PV once and the DR a couple times but never to the east side of mexico.

The_Penguin
10-08-2018, 07:23 PM
We go to Mexico a lot.
Typing this from Cabo right now. Love Cancun, but yeah the seaweed is a drag. We don't really like PV that much, the water is somewhat lacking.

We come to Cabo at least once a year. This trip, the water was a bit off on the first day (had major rain the previous week so a lot of flood crud had come into the Medano Beach area)
Was pretty much cleared up the next day.
We come here so often we have gotten to know a lot of the great restaurants, and a few people, so it's really our go-to.
Note that there are only a few decent swimmable areas, mostly in Cabo San Lucas proper (Medano Beach) as well as Chileno and Santa Maria bays.
The pacific side is a no go for swimming, and further up towards San Jose, I'm not too familiar with but you have to do your homework and pick your spots.

redline
10-09-2018, 06:39 AM
We went to the Dreams resort in Huatulco last year. Strongly considering going back again in November. We have two young kids so we don't venture out of the resort much. Been to PV once and the DR a couple times but never to the east side of mexico.

I have been there, one of the best places on the pacific, huatulco is great place to get off the resort and see real Mexico... since it is so far south the water is warm, amd the bay is pretty protected so the waves are just right to,play in .

Cabo is great for nightlife and food, but the beach’s sux as you can’t swim at most of them...

We are going back to cancun again this year.

Lex350
10-09-2018, 07:01 AM
Our family travels to Mexico every year for Christmas with usually a March trip thrown in. I've stayed in PV (Nuevo), Bucerias, Acapulco, Barra Navidad, Manzanillo, Puerto Morelos, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum.

They all offer something a bit different. Normally I would say the east side gets you the better beaches and sand but the sea weed was brutal in Puerto Morelos in April of this year. Didn't even want to go into the water. If you do All inclusives then the east side probably has the better deals. I would avoid Cancun myself. It just seems over done. If you want a different experience check our Azulik in Tulum. Basically it is a massive tree house on the beach. Absolutely love this place.

https://www.azulik.com/

Images here:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=azulik&rlz=1C1GCEA_enCA749CA749&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwig07HAs_ndAhWnFTQIHbI7C6oQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=792

I prefer the west side. The sunsets are better. The west side just doesn't feel so "US touristy" to me. Used to love Acapulco. The weather is so nice down there but its become to sketchy. Our family have a time share in Nuevo Vallarta so that's where we mostly go now. We stay here:

https://www.vidanta.com/web/nuevo-vallarta/grand-luxxe

If you want something not as developed I have friends that swear by Hualtulco. They say there are some great Airbnb places available down there.

Masked Bandit
10-09-2018, 11:35 AM
From what I'm reading here, the West coast not having seaweed doesn't really help if the water is generally too rough to swim anyway. Does anyone here have comments on places like Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, etc. with regards to seaweed over the last 24 months?

Lex350
10-09-2018, 12:24 PM
From what I'm reading here, the West coast not having seaweed doesn't really help if the water is generally too rough to swim anyway. Does anyone here have comments on places like Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, etc. with regards to seaweed over the last 24 months?

Depends on where you are on the west side. There are all sorts of beaches that you can swim in.

asp integra
10-09-2018, 01:11 PM
I stayed in Nuevo Vallarta (Riu Jalisco) and the water was amazing! We swam all day long, there were fun waves to body surf and it was never too rough/wavy to be in the water. Also there was some good surfing in that area as well. Really enjoyed my time there but I don't have any Caribbean experience to compare it to.

FWIW, I went to the Pacific side because the water is more fun (surfing, body surfing etc) and that is a huge thing for me

blownz
10-09-2018, 02:40 PM

I went to this resort last earlier this year with my family as well and would highly recommend it. We will definitely be visiting the area again. Like others have mentioned, it has warm water and with all of the bays, the waves aren't too bad.

And the airport is the best - so small and few people make it one of the best parts of flying there. Plus it is the same time zone as AB and 'just' a 6 hour flight.

R-Audi
10-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Spent a lot of time between Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita, while there were some red flag days, the majority were not. I much prefer PV over the Cancun area as it seems way less Americanized, and still has some great restaurants, tourist stuff and some old style Mexican style.

BavarianBeast
10-09-2018, 04:16 PM
I love Huatulco but feel like it is more of a romantic getaway as it is very laid back and there isn't as many activities or excursions to do there.

PV would be my suggestion for the family. Lots to do, safe, not a bad flight for children and the mountains cascading into the bay are beautiful.

CompletelyNumb
10-09-2018, 07:53 PM
West side is my favourite. Better water sports. Less Daytona Beach feeling. Cheaper.

cidley69
10-10-2018, 06:07 AM
Depends on where you are on the west side. There are all sorts of beaches that you can swim in.

We're planning a 7 day all inclusive somewhere warm this winter, early February. About three couples, leaving the kidlets behind for the first time. Would love to find somewhere west cost that has nice swimming beach, and a town within walking distance to get off the resort for entertainment. Hualtuco is off list as the resorts there look pretty isolated.

Can you name a few of the beaches that are decent for swimming?

craigcd
10-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Spent a lot of time between Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita, while there were some red flag days, the majority were not. I much prefer PV over the Cancun area as it seems way less Americanized, and still has some great restaurants, tourist stuff and some old style Mexican style.

Agree with this 100%. We have stopped going to Cancun area/Caribbean in favor of PV area.

The one small difference is the nice blue ocean waters, but we find that we actually end up spending more time in the ocean in PV regardless.

lasimmon
10-10-2018, 08:49 AM
We're planning a 7 day all inclusive somewhere warm this winter, early February. About three couples, leaving the kidlets behind for the first time. Would love to find somewhere west cost that has nice swimming beach, and a town within walking distance to get off the resort for entertainment. Hualtuco is off list as the resorts there look pretty isolated.

Most of PV will fit your needs.

spike98
10-10-2018, 12:09 PM
If you want adult only on the west shore, Breathless Cabo. We went last year and it was awesome. Great food and atmosphere. The nightlife is great too.

Rocket1k78
10-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Parent to Parent, i can guarantee you guys will have an amazing time even in Edmonton lol Even a simple meal out with no kids is a good time. PV is good for most of what you want but the beaches are nothing like cancun

thinmyster
10-12-2018, 02:43 AM
Well this thread just pushed me over the edge. We just booked a week in at Dreams in Cabo with our two small kids. The 4.5 hour flight sealed the deal. Now I just need to find a way to upgrade our seats to plus on the cheeeeeeapppp.

Misterman
11-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Hello Beyond,

I'm looking for first hand experience on families that have traveled at least a few times to both the East & West coasts of Mexico. We've been to the Mayan Riviera area (Cancun down to Tulum) several times but the seaweed situation seems to be getting worse, not better. We're thinking about giving the Pacific side a try but I don't know much about the decent areas. Is Puerto Vallarta the place to be over there or is there a different area you have been to and would recommend?

TIA

Not a lot of perspective is being given on peoples opinions, and even less info in regards to the fact you're going as a family.

Anything on the west coast, water will be worse or downright unswimable. Cabo is dry as hell if that's something you care about, plus it's not warm once the sun goes down which means even more kids clothing to pack around. Personally I'll never go back just because of how dry it is. Only real plus side to going west coast with kids, is the flight is a little bit shorter.

Mayan area. All resorts will be very well equipped for kids. Kids clubs, water park area, etc. Water is warm and usually has wave breaks so it's safer for kids. Seaweed sucks, but they do a decent job cleaning it up nowadays I find. Resorts are generally much bigger and more spread out in the Mayan. This can be positive or negative depending on you. Personally I would like having more space to move around and stop my kids from being bored. But on the other hand you might not want to drag your kids across the resort if you have a bit of a walk to the buffet from your room.