PDA

View Full Version : Made by Google 2018

Pages : [1] 2 3

schocker
10-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Finally Google Day. Starts at 9 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsoQGTA1SxY

Price hikes for everyoneeeee. $100 on the p3 but looks like $150 in the states as we already got dicked hard last year from $650 usd.

rage2
10-09-2018, 09:35 AM
I like how Google announced killing Plus because of a potential security breach of PII 6 months ago so that it can be buried under Made by Google news. Genius move. :rofl:

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/612246/google-plus-is-to-be-shut-down-after-private-data-of-half-a-million-users-was/

Back on topic, this Google Home Hub @ $149 USD is a great deal. Not sure how big of a market is out there when everyone just uses their tablet to do the same thing when needed.

01RedDX
10-09-2018, 09:35 AM

schocker
10-09-2018, 09:42 AM
I like how Google announced killing Plus because of a potential security breach of PII 6 months ago so that it can be buried under Made by Google news. Genius move. :rofl:

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/612246/google-plus-is-to-be-shut-down-after-private-data-of-half-a-million-users-was/

Back on topic, this Google Home Hub @ $149 USD is a great deal. Not sure how big of a market is out there when everyone just uses their tablet to do the same thing when needed.

They could have flown all 7 users to New York for the event! :rofl:

I like the display a lot. Nicer than the current offerings from other brands and no camera. Would be a great home control device for all my smart home items and that price isn't bad at all.

The Cosworth
10-09-2018, 09:50 AM

If it can run my web-browser based H.A. control page it would be super useful. I use a tablet mounted to a wall but I could definitely use some more. Kind of hard to have a heavy enough tablet mount near a plug.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 10:04 AM
This has got to be the most boring event I have ever watched haha - not a single thing that hasn't been leaked already. The Pixel 3 I think is the most leaked phone in history, with hands-on reviews appearing before the keynote.

I can't order it yet - rumor was it would be available on day 1 but maybe that is just for the USA.

This sounds spooky:

"Pixel phones can now screen calls for you. Phone will answer for you and ask who is calling and why. Transcription appears in real time on your screen. That is super cool."

Assuming current exchange rates it looks like prices went up as expected.

rage2
10-09-2018, 10:10 AM
If it can run my web-browser based H.A. control page it would be super useful. I use a tablet mounted to a wall but I could definitely use some more. Kind of hard to have a heavy enough tablet mount near a plug.
Pretty sure it's not a touch screen, hence the low price. Fully voice activated. Doubt it can do what you need.

schocker
10-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Now we save $36 comapred to last year, thanks google. Free pixel stand with purchase ($109 must include charger and cable but doesnt really say), $1129 for 128gb P3 or 64 gb P3XL.
New home isn't listed for canada though and the new chromecast isn't showing up either (It is dumb though, just a refresh and still 1080p).

I ordered a 64gb P3 in black with fabric case of course. What I don't get it how it leaked 1000 times seemingly with phones everywhere and yet it won't arrive until Nov 8?

riced
10-09-2018, 10:44 AM
They didn't talk much about portrait mode did they? Seemed to skip over that - wonder if there's any improvement on that front at all.

Xtrema
10-09-2018, 10:46 AM
I ordered a 64gb P3 in black with fabric case of course. What I don't get it how it leaked 1000 times seemingly with phones everywhere and yet it won't arrive until Nov 8?

Especially Engadget was able to buy one in the streets of HK.

So to summarize:

Home Hub - Google's take on their own Smart Display tech. Wonder if all the tech will come to Smart Displays as well, I have my eyes on the Lenovo one a few weeks back.

Pixel Slate - Surface Go competitor but $200 more.

Pixel 3 - A bunch of new software but otherwise a very typical 2018 flagship.

schocker
10-09-2018, 11:00 AM
They didn't talk much about portrait mode did they? Seemed to skip over that - wonder if there's any improvement on that front at all.
They did a bit, dual front camera, wider fov. mkbhd has a good summary
LRh_iVXulXk

Especially Engadget was able to buy one in the streets of HK.

So to summarize:

Home Hub - Google's take on their own Smart Display tech. Wonder if all the tech will come to Smart Displays as well, I have my eyes on the Lenovo one a few weeks back.

Pixel Slate - Surface Go competitor but $200 more.

The slate to me is the most puzzling. Goes all the way up to i7 16gb 256gb for $2k w/o keyboard and pen. Not sure why those specs are needed to run chrome os.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 11:09 AM

New cameras, a third camera, tracking AF even in video, new visual core, new security core, new screens, new speakers etc. Quite a bit of hardware changed compared to last year, just nothing we didn't know already haha.

The slate to me is the most puzzling. Goes all the way up to i7 16gb 256gb for $2k w/o keyboard and pen. Not sure why those specs are needed to run chrome os.

Rumors are you will be able to dual boot Windows 10.

bjstare
10-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Any word on how long they'll be offering the free pixel stand?

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Any word on how long they'll be offering the free pixel stand?

Probably depends on how well it's selling, that's what happened last year with the free speaker.

bjstare
10-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Sooo did they offer it for the first few days, or the first few months? haha clearly I have no idea. Haven't bought a phone from google since 2013.

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 12:02 PM
The pre-order offer with free pixel stand page isn't working :thumbsdow

kenny
10-09-2018, 12:04 PM
I hope the call screening feature comes to Canada.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 12:06 PM
The pre-order offer with free pixel stand page isn't working :thumbsdow

Worked just fine for me.

Ordered a 3 XL 128GB, free stand (discount in cart), $75 google credit (free), and priority shipping.

If I can't get used to the notch I will just return it and get the 3.

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 12:07 PM
I just tried with Pixel 3 and it's giving me "The requested URL was not found on this server. That's all we know."

EDIT: Just tried again and it worked.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Sooo did they offer it for the first few days, or the first few months? haha clearly I have no idea. Haven't bought a phone from google since 2013.

It was months not days - not sure when it ended though.

- - - Updated - - -

I just tried with Pixel 3 and it's giving me "The requested URL was not found on this server. That's all we know."

I followed a link from my email - maybe try the same if you have one from them.

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 12:11 PM

According to the terms on the Google store the offer is from October 9th to 31st

bjstare
10-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Ah, so if I just spent time to read the site I would have found it. Thanks haha.

Is the $75 credit for anyone that pre-orders or is it if you previously had a Pixel 2?

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Ah, so if I just spent time to read the site I would have found it. Thanks haha.

Is the $75 credit for anyone that pre-orders or is it if you previously had a Pixel 2?

The only condition on the $75 is a preorder before Oct 31 as per the fine print in the email they sent me.

bjstare
10-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Right on. I think I'll probably order one of these soon.

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Ok I'm having issues trying to pre-order with the free Pixel stand. When it gets to checkout ONLY the Pixel Stand is in my basket.

schocker
10-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Seems to be issues with stock I think on the phones. Every time you click it is different, 128gb only, pink only etc. Very odd.
I didn't get any emails regarding the $75 even though I bought a P2 at launch. Is it just random?

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Ok I'm having issues trying to pre-order with the free Pixel stand. When it gets to checkout ONLY the Pixel Stand is in my basket.

I followed the link from my email, and I had to separately add the stand but it prompted me to do so and at full price, along with a message that the cost of the stand would be deducted in the cart. Make sure you have picked the size and storage amount of the Pixel 3. Other than that I have no idea why it's not working for you - it was all straightforward and in my face when I ordered - there was a separate section/prompt dedicated to adding the stand.

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 01:45 PM
I followed the link from my email, and I had to separately add the stand but it prompted me to do so and at full price, along with a message that the cost of the stand would be deducted in the cart. Make sure you have picked the size and storage amount of the Pixel 3. Other than that I have no idea why it's not working for you - it was all straightforward and in my face when I ordered - there was a separate section/prompt dedicated to adding the stand.

Yeah that's what I'm getting as well, however for some reason the phone isn't being added to my basket. When I try to start over sometimes only one phone option (white 64GB) is available. When I start over again then all are showing up. Once I got an error page saying it was on their end with error code "CINO". So I think their site is just buggy at the moment. I remember having issues when I ordered the Kinda Blue Pixel 2 when it came out.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Seems to be issues with stock I think on the phones. Every time you click it is different, 128gb only, pink only etc. Very odd.
I didn't get any emails regarding the $75 even though I bought a P2 at launch. Is it just random?

The generic email from google introducing the Pixel 3/XL is all I got - nothing special and nothing to do with being a Pixel 2 owner. It mentions the $75 credit with a superscript "1" footnote, and when you follow that note it says:

1Preorder a Pixel 3 between 10/9/2018 at 12am PT and 10/31/2018 at 11:59pm PT and receive a $75 Promotional Balance and one Google Pixel Stand on us. Offer available only to Canada residents aged 18 years or older with shipping addresses in Canada. Customers who checkout as guests are ineligible to receive the offer. Limit 1 per customer. If the device is returned, you will not receive the Promotional Balance. Both products must be added to your shopping cart to receive the bundle offer. Customers will receive an email notifying them that the Promotional Balance has been added to their account within 6-8 weeks after the end of the promotion period. Offer is non-transferable, and not valid for cash or a cash equivalent. Available only while supplies last and purchase must be made on Google Store Canada. Shipping charges may apply at checkout. Void where prohibited. Promotional balance expires on 1/31/2019. Terms of sale and additional Promotional Balance terms apply: https://store.google.com/intl/en_ca/about/device-terms.html

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that's what I'm getting as well, however for some reason the phone isn't being added to my basket. When I try to start over sometimes only one phone option (white 64GB) is available. When I start over again then all are showing up. Once I got an error page saying it was on their end with error code "CINO". So I think their site is just buggy at the moment. I remember having issues when I ordered the Kinda Blue Pixel 2 when it came out.

Are you logged into your google account while you're doing this? That's the only other thing I can maybe think of.

I suspect the biggest wave of pre-orders is happening as we speak, so maybe it's just their website crashing or being buggy. I had my order in before the keynote was even over, or right around the same time, so maybe I beat the rush.

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Ok I FINALLY got it to go through. I had to manually add each item to my basket instead of going through the "special offers" thing. Thankfully when I got to checkout it showed the Pixel Stand as free. And Yes I am logged into my Google account.

Their site is just buggy it seems.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Ok I FINALLY got it to go through. I had to manually add each item to my basket instead of going through the "special offers" thing. Thankfully when I got to checkout it showed the Pixel Stand as free. And Yes I am logged into my Google account.

Their site is just buggy it seems.

Probably. Glad you got it worked out :thumbsup:

My arrival date is Nov 14 but if it's like previous years that could be weeks earlier. The stand is scheduled to arrive a week after that but I'll probably never use it anyway.

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Probably. Glad you got it worked out :thumbsup:

My arrival date is Nov 14 but if it's like previous years that could be weeks earlier. The stand is scheduled to arrive a week after that but I'll probably never use it anyway.

Thanks! I told myself I wouldn't order another phone this year but I can't resist Pixels haha.

My phone shows Delivery of November 7-8 while my Pixel stand shows delivery November 23-26

Buster
10-09-2018, 01:58 PM
I dunno. I usually upgrade my phone very year....but the P3 doesn't seem a big leap over the P2, especially with that goddamn notch.

Kg810
10-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Anyone still using the OG Pixel? Looks like Google has decided not to offer lifetime unlimited storage for photos and videos uploaded by the OG Pixel anymore.

"Pixel and Pixel XL: Unlimited, online, original-quality storage of photos/videos taken with your Pixel until 2020; high-quality for all other photos/videos. Requires Google account. Data rates may apply."
Found here : https://store.google.com/product/pixel_compare

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Thanks! I told myself I wouldn't order another phone this year but I can't resist Pixels haha.

My phone shows Delivery of November 7-8 while my Pixel stand shows delivery November 23-26

Better than my delivery date haha - maybe it was because I ordered the 128GB? Who knows. Hopefully I get it early like last time.

kenny
10-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Pretty sure it's not a touch screen, hence the low price. Fully voice activated. Doubt it can do what you need.

It is a touch-screen, but no built-in browser so it's a bit limited. You'd have to control everything via the GA interface. Pretty good price point though, don't need one but might get one anyway. Wonder if they will release a pro version with built in zwave/zigbee radios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qL_QfYdc48

KrisYYC
10-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Better than my delivery date haha - maybe it was because I ordered the 128GB? Who knows. Hopefully I get it early like last time.

I ordered the white 128gb regular Pixel 3. Not the XL so maybe that's why? I think the XL's sell out faster than the smaller ones.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 02:12 PM
I dunno. I usually upgrade my phone very year....but the P3 doesn't seem a big leap over the P2, especially with that goddamn notch.

Vastly better screen according to early reviews (same screen on both apparently), bigger screens on both, better processor, better visual core (40% faster HDR+), extra camera (new sensors all round), tracking AF, dedicated security chip, better waterproofing, better speakers, wireless charging, gorilla glass 5, Bluetooth 5.0, exclusive camera modes that likely aren't possible with older hardware (night shot, top shot, AI zoom)

If you're looking for visual/design changes, that boat sailed years ago - the only real way to differentiate phones anymore is with internals, screens, and cameras. When the phone is ~95% screen, there isn't much they can change haha.

Nothing unexpected given the yearly refresh (and months of complete leaks haha), but the upgrades are quite substantial compared to the Pixel 2 XL.

The notch is awful, you can thank Andy Rubin for that. The non-XL is 5.5" though (same size as the original Pixel XL), which is a pretty reasonable option if you can't handle the notch, and it still gets a generous battery for it's size (2915mAh). I'm going to try the XL and if I can't stand the notch I will return it for a regular 3.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the white 128gb regular Pixel 3. Not the XL so maybe that's why? I think the XL's sell out faster than the smaller ones.

Ah, maybe. I also went with black, but presumably that is their highest volume color too.

Xtrema
10-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Rumors are you will be able to dual boot Windows 10.

Ok, now you got my attention.

rage2
10-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Ok, now you got my attention.
It's a confusing device for sure. They killed off Android tablets which is the only tablet segment that's making any sales, and went into a hybrid OS system that lets you run Android apps but has desktop browser experience. You can spec the hardware to laptop specs to rival Surface Pro but with gimped OS. So if you want to compare to a tablet, it's too bulky, but you want to compare to a Surface Pro, it isn't a full fledged OS. I dunno how it'll do at all.

I guess yea, if it can run Windows 10 with pen support, it'd be a nice alternative to Surface Pro, but I don't really see it bring anything new to the table. The damn thing looks like a Chinese SP knockoff.

schocker
10-09-2018, 03:03 PM
I guess yea, if it can run Windows 10 with pen support, it'd be a nice alternative to Surface Pro, but I don't really see it bring anything new to the table. The damn thing looks like a Chinese SP knockoff.
It sounded like the pen on the pixelbook was garbage anyways compared to surface. Are they going for enterprise maybe for groups that already use google docs and whatnot?

Mitsu, if you are looking to unload the stand, I might be interested once I see how well it works.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 03:11 PM
It sounded like the pen on the pixelbook was garbage anyways compared to surface. Are they going for enterprise maybe for groups that already use google docs and whatnot?

Mitsu, if you are looking to unload the stand, I might be interested once I see how well it works.

Sure - I'll try to remember to let you know. I don't use my phone as an alarm clock (alarm yes, but not as an always-on type thing), I never let my phones sit on the charger all night, and I never use always-on display, so I am guessing it will be of limited use to me.

bjstare
10-09-2018, 03:27 PM
I decided to go with an XL, my delivery date is 8-9 Nov, and the stand says the third week of Nov. I'm looking forward to getting back to a Google phone, hopefully it's not a dud :rofl:

schocker
10-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Sure - I'll try to remember to let you know. I don't use my phone as an alarm clock (alarm yes, but not as an always-on type thing), I never let my phones sit on the charger all night, and I never use always-on display, so I am guessing it will be of limited use to me.

Thanks. I am figuring, if it works OK at home, I might want a second for the office just to use in daydream/spotify/emails etc.

boooooo all the items on BH are listed as shipping to the US only like when I thought I found a smokin deal on ubiquiti :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Anyone still using the OG Pixel? Looks like Google has decided not to offer lifetime unlimited storage for photos and videos uploaded by the OG Pixel anymore.

"Pixel and Pixel XL: Unlimited, online, original-quality storage of photos/videos taken with your Pixel until 2020; high-quality for all other photos/videos. Requires Google account. Data rates may apply."
Found here : https://store.google.com/product/pixel_compare

They clarified that a while ago - it's unlimited as long as you buy Pixels at least once every 4 years. Pretty reasonable IMO, especially since it is for the original files and includes 4K video which can use up huge amounts of space. You shouldn't be able to buy one Pixel and get lifetime storage - but the original file quality also only applies to photos/video taken by Pixel phones anyway, so unless that phone lasted you forever, the problem would take care of itself naturally when you bought your next Pixel which would very likely be inside 4 years. So unless you rock the OG Pixel past 2020 before replacement, you are good to go.

Google Photos still allows anyone to have unlimited storage though, just in "high quality" (which is more than acceptable for 99% of usage scenarios) and not original. My GF had it on her iPhone and it saved all of her photos to the cloud when iTunes corrupted the backup/restore file - huge relief!

Buster
10-09-2018, 06:41 PM
fuckit, ordered a 128 XL in black.

Mitsu3000gt
10-10-2018, 09:16 AM
fuckit, ordered a 128 XL in black.

What's your delivery date? I am wondering if everyone but me got Nov 7 haha.

kenny
10-10-2018, 09:54 AM
They clarified that a while ago - it's unlimited as long as you buy Pixels at least once every 4 years.

Pixel and Pixel XL users get to keep their lifetime original quality storage. I guess it was an error. The expiry date has been removed from the Pixel product page.

Kg810
10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Pixel and Pixel XL users get to keep their lifetime original quality storage. I guess it was an error. The expiry date has been removed from the Pixel product page.

Excellent.

Mitsu3000gt
10-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Yes but subsequent Pixels do not get that - unless you keep buying them. You don't lose the original quality uploads either, it's just that all subsequent uploads will be at "high quality" and not original. It's really not much of an issue either way. The free unlimited high quality storage for anyone who downloads the Photos app is actually the best feature.

jwslam
10-10-2018, 10:49 AM
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/10/10/google-pixel-3-xl-only-gesture-navigation-broken/

Pixel 3 and 3 XL only has gesture navigation — and it’s brokenThere's no option to switch back to three-button navigation

Mitsu3000gt
10-10-2018, 11:20 AM
A brand new OS on a brand new phone that isn't even available to most of the public yet has a tiny UI bug, I can hardly believe it :rofl:

I'm sure there will be some growing pains while they decide how best to deal with the new UI gestures.

At least you have the option to disable the notch, and since its an OLED that section of the screen will truly be off, rather than just black but still back-lit.

schocker
10-10-2018, 01:34 PM
It is also pretty sensationalized when it is a 'sometimes' issue. I have used it since pie came out and do not miss the three button setup at all.

KrisYYC
10-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Over on the Android Central forums it looks like Americans who pre-ordered are getting delivery dates of next week!

Buster
10-10-2018, 06:34 PM
What's your delivery date? I am wondering if everyone but me got Nov 7 haha.

nov 23 or something? i dont really care too much

schocker
10-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Mine is still Nov 8-9 for phone and case and Nov 11-12 for the charger.

Kg810
10-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Standard shipping for 3 XL is now showing Nov 29 - Dec 3

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Standard shipping for 3 XL is now showing Nov 29 - Dec 3

Last year my Pixel 2 XL delivery date was Nov 22 and it showed up Nov 13. Same with the year before. They always seem to beat their estimates which is nice.

redevil
10-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Debating if I should buy the Pixel 3 64GB, since my S7 just crapped out for some reason. Won't stop rebooting and cannot get it to factory reset anymore. :facepalm:

bjstare
10-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Has anyone who's ordered a 3 or 3xl gotten their $75 credit yet?

redevil
10-16-2018, 10:59 AM

How do you get a $75 credit?

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 11:00 AM

You probably won't see it until your device ships or you receive it (and the CC charge moves from pending to posted). Otherwise you could just pre-order and spend the credit :) I checked and mine isn't there yet.

EDIT: USA orders are already shipping (Early as usual) and the credit comes 2-3 weeks after receipt of the device.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get a $75 credit?

Simply order a Pixel 3 / XL before Oct 31 from Google. You also get a free wireless charging stand if you do this.

KrisYYC
10-16-2018, 01:02 PM
I didn't see any mention of a $75 credit anywhere when I pre-ordered. Mistu3000gt do you remember the details?

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 01:07 PM
I didn't see any mention of a $75 credit anywhere when I pre-ordered. Mistu3000gt do you remember the details?

I got an email from google on the day of the Pixel 3 announcement introducing the phone - it said:

The power of 3.
Exclusive to you, get $75 to spend on Google Store,
and a Pixel Stand on us when you pre-order Pixel 3.1
Shop Pixel 3

Here are the exact details from the email:

Credit:
1Preorder a Pixel 3 between 10/9/2018 at 12am PT and 10/31/2018 at 11:59pm PT and receive a $75 Promotional Balance and one Google Pixel Stand on us. Offer available only to Canada residents aged 18 years or older with shipping addresses in Canada. Customers who checkout as guests are ineligible to receive the offer. Limit 1 per customer. If the device is returned, you will not receive the Promotional Balance. Both products must be added to your shopping cart to receive the bundle offer. Customers will receive an email notifying them that the Promotional Balance has been added to their account within 6-8 weeks after the end of the promotion period. Offer is non-transferable, and not valid for cash or a cash equivalent. Available only while supplies last and purchase must be made on Google Store Canada. Shipping charges may apply at checkout. Void where prohibited. Promotional balance expires on 1/31/2019. Terms of sale and additional Promotional Balance terms apply: https://store.google.com/intl/en_ca/about/device-terms.html

Stand:
4Preorder a Google Pixel 3 between October 9, 2018 through October 31, 2018 and receive one Google Pixel Stand on us. Offer available only to CA residents aged 13 years or older with Canadian shipping addresses. Both products must be added to your shopping cart to receive the bundle offer. Offer cannot be combined with any promotional codes, or with other bundle offers running at the same time. It's non-transferable, and it isn't valid for cash or a cash equivalent. Purchase must be made on Google Store Canada. Available only while supplies last. Shipping charges may apply at checkout. Void where prohibited.

KrisYYC
10-16-2018, 01:16 PM
I got an email from google on the day of the Pixel 3 announcement introducing the phone - it said:

The power of 3.
Exclusive to you, get $75 to spend on Google Store,
and a Pixel Stand on us when you pre-order Pixel 3.1
Shop Pixel 3

Here are the exact details from the email:

Credit:

Stand:
4Preorder a Google Pixel 3 between October 9, 2018 through October 31, 2018 and receive one Google Pixel Stand on us. Offer available only to CA residents aged 13 years or older with Canadian shipping addresses. Both products must be added to your shopping cart to receive the bundle offer. Offer cannot be combined with any promotional codes, or with other bundle offers running at the same time. It's non-transferable, and it isn't valid for cash or a cash equivalent. Purchase must be made on Google Store Canada. Available only while supplies last. Shipping charges may apply at checkout. Void where prohibited.

Hmmm. I never received an email from Google at all about the Pixel 3 but I can't remember if I was even signed up for product alerts from Google.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Hmmm. I never received an email from Google at all about the Pixel 3 but I can't remember if I was even signed up for product alerts from Google.

Yeah it is definitely just a super generic email that I get whenever they introduce a new product or have a promotion - anyone can sign up for them. It's nothing specific to me.

I didn't have to do anything or acknowledge the credit - I am just expecting it to come a few weeks after delivery as stated. I believe it was mentioned during the pre-order process but just as an FYI type thing. And if for some reason you don't get it, I suspect Google will give it to you if you call.

KrisYYC
10-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Yeah it is definitely just a super generic email that I get whenever they introduce a new product or have a promotion - anyone can sign up for them. It's nothing specific to me.

I didn't have to do anything or acknowledge the credit - I am just expecting it to come a few weeks after delivery as stated. I believe it was mentioned during the pre-order process but just as an FYI type thing. And if for some reason you don't get it, I suspect Google will give it to you if you call.

Ah I see. I'll keep an eye on it then. And if it ends up being for previous Pixel owners well I'm good there, I've purchased every Pixel so far. :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Ah I see. I'll keep an eye on it then. And if it ends up being for previous Pixel owners well I'm good there, I've purchased every Pixel so far. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm sure you're eligible - they just didn't do a great job of detailing the promotions. I think as long as you pre-order before Oct 31 they will give you whatever you are entitled to. The fine print on the free stand though says you need to add it to the cart at the time of the phone order, and then they deduct the price from there.

schocker
10-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Yeah I'm sure you're eligible - they just didn't do a great job of detailing the promotions. I think as long as you pre-order before Oct 31 they will give you whatever you are entitled to. The fine print on the free stand though says you need to add it to the cart at the time of the phone order, and then they deduct the price from there.
I did end up getting a different email that told me about the new products but no discount whatsoever :rofl: Thanks google.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 03:06 PM
I did end up getting a different email that told me about the new products but no discount whatsoever :rofl: Thanks google.

Haha yeah they did not go about these freebies very well. Should be easy enough to get with a phone call if it doesn't happen automatically.

On the plus side every review so far is glowing - looking forward to getting it (hopefully 2 weeks early as per usual).

KrisYYC
10-16-2018, 07:44 PM
On the plus side every review so far is glowing - looking forward to getting it (hopefully 2 weeks early as per usual).

When you got your Pixel 2 early, did they revise the delivery date on the order page before? Or did it suddenly just go to "shipped" out of nowhere?

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2018, 09:33 AM
When you got your Pixel 2 early, did they revise the delivery date on the order page before? Or did it suddenly just go to "shipped" out of nowhere?

Not that I noticed, I didn't re-check that page - I just got an email from my CC company because of a charge over $1000 and then an email from Google telling me it had shipped. Compared that to the email I got when I pre-ordered and it was ~2 weeks before my original shipping date.

They are already shipping to people in the USA quite early, so that is a good sign.

KrisYYC
10-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Not that I noticed, I didn't re-check that page - I just got an email from my CC company because of a charge over $1000 and then an email from Google telling me it had shipped. Compared that to the email I got when I pre-ordered and it was ~2 weeks before my original shipping date.

They are already shipping to people in the USA quite early, so that is a good sign.

Nice. Here's hoping

redevil
10-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Just ordered the black 64gb one since they cannot fix my S7. :thumbsdow

Looks like the stand is coming first with a delivery date for Nov 09–12 and for the phone a delivery date for Nov 16–19.

Kg810
10-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Just ordered the black 64gb one since they cannot fix my S7. :thumbsdow

Looks like the stand is coming first with a delivery date for Nov 09–12 and for the phone a delivery date for Nov 16–19.

:confused:

I placed my order on the 11th and my stand is scheduled for Nov 30 - Dec 3 lol

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2018, 04:00 PM
:confused:

I placed my order on the 11th and my stand is scheduled for Nov 30 - Dec 3 lol

Their dates are all weird, don't read into them too much - chances are everything will be early at least to some degree. I ordered my phone the instant it was available and my delivery date is a week later than anyone else in this thread who ordered later haha. Could be the configuration I guess.

My stand is also coming 1-2 weeks after the phone is scheduled to ship.

Side note - if you have a Google Nest doorbell when someone rings it, it will start live streaming the video feed to your phone on the stand which is pretty cool.

KrisYYC
10-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Their dates are all weird, don't read into them too much - chances are everything will be early at least to some degree. I ordered my phone the instant it was available and my delivery date is a week later than anyone else in this thread who ordered later haha. Could be the configuration I guess.

My stand is also coming 1-2 weeks after the phone is scheduled to ship.

Side note - if you have a Google Nest doorbell when someone rings it, it will start live streaming the video feed to your phone on the stand which is pretty cool.

Yep. Lots of guys on the Android Central forums are getting theirs early. Some even had delivery dates of Nov 14-15 but are getting shipping notices already. Hopefully this happens for us!

davidI
10-18-2018, 12:52 AM
Sort of OT but related to this thread.

Does anyone know of any deals on Google Home / Google Mini right now?

I'd previously seen "Buy a Google Home Get a Free Google Mini" and 40% off type deals but not sure if that's still on offer anywhere now?

They're cheaper in Canada than in Europe so I was thinking of picking one up.

schocker
10-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Apparantly, the google play store credit emails were random...wasn't able to get anything. I need my credits to buy more movies!

Mitsu3000gt
10-18-2018, 09:04 AM
Apparantly, the google play store credit emails were random...wasn't able to get anything. I need my credits to buy more movies!

Did you call them? Tell them all your friends got it and that the language in the email suggested it was available to everyone (Canadian resident was pretty much the only criteria).

kenny
10-18-2018, 10:37 AM
So I got a shipping notification e-mail from my Pixel order. Turns out I added a pair of USB-C pixel buds to my cart without noticing. Ooops.

I wonder if I should keep it as a spare or return it.

schocker
10-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Did you call them? Tell them all your friends got it and that the language in the email suggested it was available to everyone (Canadian resident was pretty much the only criteria).
I used the chat which seemed to be OK. They got me to use the 'send feedback' on the store and those people will follow up.

Mitsu3000gt
10-18-2018, 10:44 AM
So I got a shipping notification e-mail from my Pixel order. Turns out I added a pair of USB-C pixel buds to my cart without noticing. Ooops.

They are apparently very good for the price, but obviously not as good as a high end pair of IEMs. The smart features will also be coming to most other headphones soon and won't always be exclusive to the Pixel Buds.

iVerge reviewed them:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/17/17988574/google-pixel-usb-c-earbuds-review-assistant-headphones

If you plan to use them, $30 is cheap enough to just keep a spare. If you are going to use another set anyway, I'd just return them.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the chat which seemed to be OK. They got me to use the 'send feedback' on the store and those people will follow up.

Hope it works out - I suspect they will hook you up.

Kg810
10-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Did some of you already receive the $75 Google credit?

kenny
10-18-2018, 11:44 AM
If you plan to use them, $30 is cheap enough to just keep a spare. If you are going to use another set anyway, I'd just return them.
- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'll probably return them as I plan on getting some wireless ones at some point. Pixel Buds v2 or whatever else comes out.

Mitsu3000gt
10-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Did some of you already receive the $75 Google credit?

It is supposed to come 6-8 weeks after the promotional period ends (Oct 31) according to the fine print.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'll probably return them as I plan on getting some wireless ones at some point. Pixel Buds v2 or whatever else comes out.

I am trying to go wireless too - I am just having trouble finding anything that is reviewed well. Might have to use the dongle for while longer.

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2018, 02:32 PM
My delivery date just changed from Nov 21 to Oct 30, but for the stand. Hopefully the phone is next :thumbsup:

bjstare
10-22-2018, 03:07 PM
My delivery date just changed from Nov 21 to Oct 30, but for the stand. Hopefully the phone is next :thumbsup:

Haha yeah my stand delivery just got moved up to Nov 2. I was really hoping it was for the phone.

On a related note, what are the Pixel 3 XL guys here planning to use for a case? I didn't order one from google, cause I'm cheap and plan on using my $75 credit for that... any third party cases that people can recommend that are similar in profile to the google one?

rage2
10-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Creo que deberías guardarlo.

schocker
10-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Haha yeah my stand delivery just got moved up to Nov 2. I was really hoping it was for the phone.

On a related note, what are the Pixel 3 XL guys here planning to use for a case? I didn't order one from google, cause I'm cheap and plan on using my $75 credit for that... any third party cases that people can recommend that are similar in profile to the google one?

I would just pick up one of the cheap spigen ones while you wait. I have had a bunch and they have been fine. UAG if you want more protection.

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Same here haha I was all excited when I saw the email, then I scrolled down to see it was just the stand, which I can't even use before the phone arrives.

There are many good cases on Amazon already, whether you like max protection, ultra thin, or clear - kind of like buying condoms haha.

All the major brands are out, and I've owned almost every single sub-model of them at some point between all my Pixels and iPhones - can't really go wrong with Spigen, Ringke, Moko, etc.:

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pixel+3+xl+case

I usually end up with 3-4 cases per phone by the time I'm done with it, they are so cheap and I like trying different ones out.

The Spigen Tough Armor, for example, I have seen take more abuse than I could have possibly imagined any case/smartphone could endure (not mine) and the case is a bit rough cosmetically after 2+ years but the phone is mint. Excellent product.

KrisYYC
10-22-2018, 04:12 PM

I got the email too and only for the pixel stand as well. November 2nd when my original ship date was November 23-26. My phone is still showing November 7-8

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2018, 04:16 PM
I got the email too and only for the pixel stand as well. November 2nd when my original ship date was November 23-26. My phone is still showing November 7-8

If the phone's don't ship early it will be the first time they haven't (at least for me) even going back to the Nexus days. They are shipping early in the USA so hopefully that means for us too. We'll see I guess. I'm still at Nov 14 on the phone which is oddly late.

Got another email from google and was excited again, but it was my Google Play Music receipt :rofl: Bit of a roller coaster today.

KrisYYC
10-22-2018, 09:01 PM
If the phone's don't ship early it will be the first time they haven't (at least for me) even going back to the Nexus days. They are shipping early in the USA so hopefully that means for us too. We'll see I guess. I'm still at Nov 14 on the phone which is oddly late.

Got another email from google and was excited again, but it was my Google Play Music receipt :rofl: Bit of a roller coaster today.

Yeah a lot of guys in the US are getting theirs early, but some are having their delivery date pushed back. Seems to be all over the place.

civic_stylez
10-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Ive been using a Pixel 3 XL for almost 2 weeks now and its a really nice phone. Im currently splitting time with that and my Huawei P20 pro. The Google software is excellent for the picture filters/mods but I still find my P20 Pro take better actual photos. The front facing speakers on the P3XL are great and its nice to see HTC's boomsound (made famous on the One M7 series) technology moving forward on these. I cant say that im blown away by the P3XL but the video quality is outstanding, the rear finger print scanner is crazy fast. Its also nice to have the unmolested Android software.

md14
10-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Just got a notification, stand and phone got bumped from Nov 16-19 to Nov 5-6.

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2018, 09:05 AM
iVerge has some Night Sight samples up:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/25/18021944/google-night-sight-pixel-3-camera-samples

Pretty amazing considering what a 'normal' camera would have to do to achieve that. It looks to take about half the time as the Huawei P20's Night Shot too.

rage2
10-25-2018, 09:40 AM
That doesn't compare to P20 at all. I've used the P20. It's fucking sorcery. That looks to be on par with the XS which is significantly better than the X (surprisingly).

civic_stylez
10-25-2018, 09:46 AM
That doesn't compare to P20 at all. I've used the P20. It's fucking sorcery. That looks to be on par with the XS which is significantly better than the X (surprisingly).

The P20 Pro still blows my mind taking pics. Low light resolution and low noise is unreal.

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2018, 09:56 AM

Without a side by side comparison of the P20 and Pixel 3 XL night shot modes we can't really come to any conclusions. Those looked like some quick samples in some guy's office, not a controlled test, and for that it looked pretty good.

They are just long exposures, which is nothing new, but the stabilization techniques that allow it are impressive.