PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes c32

Kloubek
10-10-2018, 05:40 PM
So as some of you know my second xf was written off. Still fighting the insurance company. Anyway, Ive been researching what to get next and realize my 25k-30k budget wont get me a really as much as I would like in regards to a lower mileage fast sedan.

So then I considered the other direction. There are Japanese imported c32s on the market. Under 100k for dirt cheap. Tuned (as I intend) they are not at all slow. Checks all the boxes and I'm not too concerned about the image of driving an older car. (Still looks relatively sharp to me).

So for Rage (because I know he has experience) is there any reason why I should avoid such a (thrifty) purchase? Will a North American tune have any issues with an overseas ecu? I cant imagine...

I'm aware of the typical maintenance things....

03ozwhip
10-10-2018, 05:56 PM
I know nothing about them, but I saw nice Maserati quattroporte for pretty cheap, in your budget for sure....also, maybe look at an E55 AMG...:drool:

rage2
10-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Intercooler repairs will kill ya. Not sure if there’s 3rd party kits yet. OEM stuff at the time just keeps leaking. Same deal with intercooler pump but that part can be had for cheap through Chrysler dealers. The Crossfire SRT6 is pretty much a same gen SLK32.

Any of those 2 fail, hello limp mode.

J.M.
10-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Forget the C32 and get a C63 instead.

bjstare
10-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Forget the C32 and get a C63 instead.

This is what I was gonna say. Just make sure it's 2011+ or has head bolts done already. If you really want to make sure it's taken care of, lifter buckets (?) are the other common problem.

The cost of brakes and fuel will bring tears to your eyes, but worth it IMO.

Just wondering - why not look at an ISF? Can be had in your budget, and they run forever with no problems (literally no common problems). Only routine maintenance, and fuel and brakes aren't nearly as bad as a C63 haha. I've had one for a couple years now and it's been absolutely bulletproof.

It should be noted that both of these cars have a useless back seat, but if you're looking at a C32, I assume that isn't an issue.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-10-2018, 06:27 PM
This is what I was gonna say. Just make sure it's 2011+ or has head bolts done already. If you really want to make sure it's taken care of, lifter buckets (?) are the other common problem.

The cost of brakes and fuel will bring tears to your eyes, but worth it IMO.

Just wondering - why not look at an ISF? Can be had in your budget, and they run forever with no problems (literally no common problems). Only routine maintenance, and fuel and brakes aren't nearly as bad as a C63 haha. I've had one for a couple years now and it's been absolutely bulletproof.

+1 for ISF, I’ve been searching for one for a while.

adam c
10-10-2018, 06:29 PM
As I get older, the more I dislike RHD vehicles, unless it's something super special I don't see the appeal of being difficult to drive in a LHD country

ercchry
10-10-2018, 06:31 PM
I have a M3 sedan with your name all over it, all the major “regular” issues have been attended to

bjstare
10-10-2018, 06:35 PM
I have a M3 sedan with your name all over it, all the major “regular” issues have been attended to

Rod bearings? What other issues are there? Curious as I've often thought about getting an E9x M3.

Kloubek
10-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Quick feedback. Thx.

C63: Concerned about head bolt issues. Plus id want the 2012+ MY and thats now the top of my budget. Had considered a cls63 or clk (not a sedan) but again, the head bolt concern. And both are higher on the budget for an aging car.

Isf, m3: Both have too much residual value. My desire is not to have a "vintage" car but if I can get a lower mileage one for 10k, the savings are enticing. If I'm going to spend my budget then there are plenty of vehicles I could pick... They just tend to also have close to 100k and id prefer something along the lines of 50k. 2012 a6, xfr, 2011+ s4 all making the grade. Even a 2016+ a3 is a consideration.... Tuned, they are quick. Masarati is likely far too unreliable and expensive to fix.

E55: Actually this has been one I've considered. To get one with 100k or lower usually is still upwards of 20-25k and I'm not sure I want to spend that on a vehicle that's aging so much. Still, it's on the list. There is one in Edmonton right now with 10Xk on it and they had it down under 20k a couple of weeks ago. (Plus it has been modded to an apparent 600+ HP. That's both a good and bad thing.)

Intercooler: I am aware of the pump but wasnt aware there are other common issues with the system. By "kill me" do you mean a $500 bill here and there or do you mean its truely going to likely cost thousands and thousands?

RHD: they arent. They are lhd imported from Germany to Japan and then here. I have zero interest in a RHD.

ercchry
10-10-2018, 06:40 PM
^^so when you say “fast” ... :rofl:

Rod bearings? What other issues are there? Curious as I've often thought about getting an E9x M3.

Rod bearing are more fear mongering than anything, just keep an eye on oil reports, throttle actuators are on par cost wise (if not more) and also secondary air pumps, I have done updated actuators with lifetime warranty, and deleted air pumps and added a tune so no cel. Easily $6k worth of crap that’s now good for life of the car. Also fresh brakes... those are NOT cheap haha

J.M.
10-10-2018, 08:38 PM
ISF would be great.. If you could actually find a low km one for a good price.

rage2
10-10-2018, 08:42 PM
C63 6.2L V8 not only has headbolt issues, they also have lifter wear issues that destroys the engine. Lifters need to be replaced from the SLS ones. This was never recalled or acknowledged publicly. That was the primary reason I sold my Black Series, as the failure happened to a friend’s C63BS within a few numbers of my VIN. If you’re lucky, it’s fixed under warranty, MB uses the SLS lifters and new cams to fix the problem. It’s a 5 fig job to fix properly. When it fails, car will start misfiring then proceed to drop a valve.

As for C32 intercoolers, they were a $1500 part OEM. They last a year or 2 before leaking again. Both mine and Kenny’s leaked like crazy in the 3 years we owned the car. I’m sure there’s aftermarket replacements by now. My car had a special problem from the leaky intercooler. A MAP sensor past the intercooler was fouled from the coolant and read incorrect. The car does not throw a code when that happens and the car will once in a while accelerate on its own at low speeds. It took 3 months for Lone Star randomly swapping parts to fix it because it was so difficult to replicate.

never
10-10-2018, 08:58 PM
^^so when you say “fast” ... :rofl:

Definition of fast is different for everyone!

rage2
10-10-2018, 09:18 PM
What’s funny is that the 32s weren’t really that much slower than the E9X M3s.

Kloubek
10-10-2018, 09:24 PM

To me, fast enough is a low 13s quarter mile. I lust for more, but realize I need to sacrifice in the name of comfort and price.

Thanks for the info Rage. If they have chronic issues I might reconsider...

ercchry
10-10-2018, 09:35 PM
What’s funny is that the 32s weren’t really that much slower than the E9X M3s.

Fast is more than just a straight line... if we’re talking just quarter mile you’d be better off with a 335 tuned

Edit: I had to look it up... is this another one of your “in Calgary because forced induction” comparisons?! Cause 4.0 0-60 and 12.4 1/4 compared to 5.0 and 13.4 is pretty far apart! :rofl:

rage2
10-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Well if you wanna play bench racer, I’ll do some digging tomorrow too. :rofl:

I’ve ran a prepped E90 on an autox track, also driven a couple of E92s, it’s not much faster than my old SLK32. It sounds way nicer, which is why I’m always on a lookout for an E93.

ercchry
10-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I’m not too sure how well an E90 would do at autox, they don’t really shine till you can stretch your legs a little. I could see them being close there, the short wheel base on an slk would also help

yipb
10-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know how good a c55 amg would be compared to c32?

Kloubek
10-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know how good a c55 amg would be compared to c32?

Not much different IMO, but you bypass the intercooler issues. I considered the C55, but it isn't nearly as tunable.

A2VR6
10-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I’m not too sure how well an E90 would do at autox, they don’t really shine till you can stretch your legs a little. I could see them being close there, the short wheel base on an slk would also help

They clean up (im talking about the ZCP). 3 of the last 4 years the SCCA national championship has been won by a E9X M3 in its class (F-Street) which includes stuff like IS-F's, C36s/C55/C63's, Mustang GT's and Camaro SS's. Interestingly the C32/SLK32 cars are in a higher class (B-Street) with the M2s, RS3s, and 987 Caymans. So in theory the the C32/SLK32s should be a bit faster. Personally I think the two cars should run fairly close times.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 10:25 AM
What about buying something slightly newer that isn't an AMG / M but with a V8 so you still get comparable performance to the older forced induction 6cyl AMG? Maybe a BMW 550i or MB E500/550? Not sure if those are outside your budget or not.

You could get a nice Audi S4 or A6 in your budget too. Lots of tuning potential there as well.

benyl
10-11-2018, 11:20 AM
yeah, at our altitude, a 335 with a light tune is much faster than an M3 V8.

I think rage2 and gage did a race with his rage2 C63 and GTI and the GTI stated pulling on the C63. haha

bjstare
10-11-2018, 11:42 AM
What about buying something slightly newer that isn't an AMG / M but with a V8 so you still get comparable performance to the older forced induction 6cyl AMG? Maybe a BMW 550i or MB E500/550? Not sure if those are outside your budget or not.

You could get a nice Audi S4 or A6 in your budget too. Lots of tuning potential there as well.

Can't comment on the newer MB 550s (with the TT v8), but IIRC the bmw 550 is garbage reliability-wise. I also wouldn't want to own an S4 off warranty, I remember the DSG and sport diff both have a tendency for issues (and you wouldn't want that car without at least the sport diff, but ideally both).

colinxx235
10-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Can't comment on the newer MB 550s (with the TT v8), but IIRC the bmw 550 is garbage reliability-wise. I also wouldn't want to own an S4 off warranty, I remember the DSG and sport diff both have a tendency for issues (and you wouldn't want that car without at least the sport diff, but ideally both).

There is a reason I ran away from mine as it approached 100k clicks. The fear of the DSG blowing up is no joke. As for the sport diff that never had any issues. Just melted cats that having a stasis tune bent me sideways on....

rage2
10-11-2018, 11:47 AM
yeah, at our altitude, a 335 with a light tune is much faster than an M3 V8.

I think rage2 and gage did a race with his rage2 C63 and GTI and the GTI stated pulling on the C63. haha
E46 M3 vs GTI. The GTI was replaced with the C63.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 11:49 AM

S4 is available without adjustable suspension and with a 6MT if DSG reliability is a concern. My 2000 S4 and 2006 S4 have already been more reliable than my 2010 and 2017 Honda Civics haha - and that is over many years.

I don't know about 550 reliability so that might be the case.

Kloubek
10-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Well like I said I've looked at mercs with the V8's, but they all seem to have problems. The 63 has issues and the 550's had issues as well of their own. I think they got better around 2010 (for both engines), and I considered the 2012+ E550 which is quite powerful, but then the handling isn't really there. (And I kinda don't like the looks either). I also did consider the 550, and also considered the 335, but BMW just seems to have so many problems I'm not sure I want to take that on. I could get an E90 well inside my budget but the earlier 335's had turbo issues and the 2011+ are looking like a dated platform to me for the price. I AM considering the F30 335 as a possibility though.

As for S4, as I said the 2011+ MY is in the mix and has plenty of performance... especially tuned. The reason why I mention 2011+ is because I thought the DSG has been sorted by then. Can someone confirm? Add to that the 2012 MY A6 which has basically the same engine (though for some reason not quite as much power) and that those are both probably at the top of my list at this point. The A6 does not have any known obvious issues as far as I know, so it is probably in the lead right now. Another Jaguar is also a consideration but after totalling 2 of them, I'm kinda wondering if they are cursed...

Oh hey, look - this subtly turned into another "what car to buy" thread. :)

rage2
10-11-2018, 12:44 PM
I regret not keeping my CLS550 for longer than 3 years. It's oddly one of the cars that I miss the most. I can't stop talking about how great that car was overall every time I see one on the road. It's too bad the E550/CLS550 with the V8 TT is still so expensive. It actually handles quite decent if you have the air suspension. I have videos of my CLS550 keeping up with an E63S of the same vintage around corners, and not losing out by much in a straight line by 2 equally good drivers. I mean if I was driving, I'd kick that E63S's ass... :rofl:

If it's in your budget, any of the 550's with the V8TT is a great car to own. Absolutely bulletproof engine and transmission. E Coupes had it too, and those seems to have depreciated off decent, but RWD only.

edit - not terrible: https://www.mercedes-benz-downtowncalgary.ca/inventory/used/2012-mercedes-benz-e-class-calgary-alberta/16114064

03ozwhip
10-11-2018, 12:55 PM
I regret not keeping my CLS550 for longer than 3 years. It's oddly one of the cars that I miss the most. I can't stop talking about how great that car was overall every time I see one on the road. It's too bad the E550/CLS550 with the V8 TT is still so expensive. It actually handles quite decent if you have the air suspension. I have videos of my CLS550 keeping up with an E63S of the same vintage around corners, and not losing out by much in a straight line by 2 equally good drivers. I mean if I was driving, I'd kick that E63S's ass... :rofl:

If it's in your budget, any of the 550's with the V8TT is a great car to own. Absolutely bulletproof engine and transmission. E Coupes had it too, and those seems to have depreciated off decent, but RWD only.

edit - not terrible: https://www.mercedes-benz-downtowncalgary.ca/inventory/used/2012-mercedes-benz-e-class-calgary-alberta/16114064

Ahem, Mercedes 550 lol

R-Audi
10-11-2018, 01:01 PM
While the ISFs are a bit older, they are by far the most reliable out of the category. The only issue on the early ones was the water pump and the replacement is less than 1k. I quite enjoyed my 2008 after replacing the exhaust and cats. Drove like a normal Grandpa Lexus until you put it in sport mode, then it was quite fun. (And sounded great)

Masked Bandit
10-11-2018, 01:03 PM
I don't know if it's still the case or if OP even cares but once upon a time the MB dealerships wouldn't work on the LHD German / Japanese imports. Insurance also normally won't offer collision or comprehensive on these units either. If OP is doing his own wrenching / independent shop and doesn't care about the insurance then these bumps in the road don't matter.

Kloubek
10-11-2018, 01:03 PM
I regret not keeping my CLS550 for longer than 3 years. It's oddly one of the cars that I miss the most. I can't stop talking about how great that car was overall every time I see one on the road. It's too bad the E550/CLS550 with the V8 TT is still so expensive. It actually handles quite decent if you have the air suspension.

I don't mind the look of the coupes, though with a kid 4 doors is the more ideal car. I thought only the sedans had the air suspension? That's at least what I read somewhere....

rage2
10-11-2018, 01:07 PM
I don't mind the look of the coupes, though with a kid 4 doors is the more ideal car. I thought only the sedans had the air suspension? That's at least what I read somewhere....
Correct. That generation E Coupes were based off the C class, which doesn't have air suspension. On the other hand, it handles more like a C than an E. It's also pretty cramped back there because of the smaller platform, but not as bad as the current generation C coupe which is not kid friendly at all. Nothing wrong with coupes and kids if it's got decent room out back. If anything, I don't have to worry about door dings because I have to open the door for them haha.

joker
10-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Well like I said I've looked at mercs with the V8's, but they all seem to have problems. The 63 has issues and the 550's had issues as well of their own. I think they got better around 2010 (for both engines), and I considered the 2012+ E550 which is quite powerful, but then the handling isn't really there. (And I kinda don't like the looks either). I also did consider the 550, and also considered the 335, but BMW just seems to have so many problems I'm not sure I want to take that on. I could get an E90 well inside my budget but the earlier 335's had turbo issues and the 2011+ are looking like a dated platform to me for the price. I AM considering the F30 335 as a possibility though.

As for S4, as I said the 2011+ MY is in the mix and has plenty of performance... especially tuned. The reason why I mention 2011+ is because I thought the DSG has been sorted by then. Can someone confirm? Add to that the 2012 MY A6 which has basically the same engine (though for some reason not quite as much power) and that those are both probably at the top of my list at this point. The A6 does not have any known obvious issues as far as I know, so it is probably in the lead right now. Another Jaguar is also a consideration but after totalling 2 of them, I'm kinda wondering if they are cursed...

I would look at a B8.5 which I believe started with MY13. I had the DSG go on my S4(2011) and had no interest in spending the money replacing it. I did have a stage 2 tune and pulley which made some good power.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Ah I missed where you said the S4 was in the running. I think that's what I'd buy if I had your budget. I have not owned a B8 but I owned a B5 and B7 and literally had zero problems over many combined years of ownership. One of them was chipped for over 130K as well. I think making sure you bought from a conscientious previous owner and a pre-purchase inspection would be more important than anything else.

2012 or newer is the S4 you want if you go DSG. The 6MT's are bulletproof if you don't mind rowing your own gears. If you go read on the Audi specific forums you will find the DSG issues are overblown (especially on unmodified cars), and by far the most prevalent for 2010-11 MY.

My dad just bought an A6 and there does not seem to be any major/common issues with those at all. Glenmore Audi also claims it's the model they sell with the fewest problems. Rock solid engine & ZF 8spd auto - only complaint is no rev matching on the downshifts. Honestly one of the most underrated cars out there in my opinion, especially with a 0-60 time of 4.7sec and a 1/4 mile of 13.3 while your seat is massaging you haha. I also think you're used to that size/style of car coming from your Jag's, that might appeal to you. They aren't as sought after and the people who buy them are far less likely to abuse them, so lots of good deals to be had.

We drove a few E550's when shopping and the power was fantastic but even with the stiffest suspension setting it was just a really soft car - or at least seemed like it with the body roll. I think they were MY2014 or so.

94boosted
10-11-2018, 03:49 PM
They clean up (im talking about the ZCP). 3 of the last 4 years the SCCA national championship has been won by a E9X M3 in its class (F-Street) which includes stuff like IS-F's, C36s/C55/C63's, Mustang GT's and Camaro SS's. Interestingly the C32/SLK32 cars are in a higher class (B-Street) with the M2s, RS3s, and 987 Caymans. So in theory the the C32/SLK32s should be a bit faster. Personally I think the two cars should run fairly close times.

Yup E90 M3's are fast at autocross, great car. Aren't the SLK32's and Crossfire SRT6 basically the same car? If so the Crossfire has too narrow of a wheel, a slushbox trans and no LSD, locally we had two good drivers at the beginning of this season one in a E90 ZCP and one in an SRT6 and the Crossfire didn't have a chance.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Yup E90 M3's are fast at autocross, great car. Aren't the SLK32's and Crossfire SRT6 basically the same car? If so the Crossfire has too narrow of a wheel, a slushbox trans and no LSD, locally we had two good drivers at the beginning of this season one in a E90 ZCP and one in an SRT6 and the Crossfire didn't have a chance.

Yes. That relationship resulted in a couple abominations if I recall. Also, isn't Chrysler still riding on the coattails of the ~2004 E Class chassis to underpin their 300C because they still haven't come up with anything better themselves? I don't know if they still are but to my knowledge they used it for a long time. I think they did the same thing with the Durango and Grand Cherokee chassis. If Daimler AG still owns them then maybe nothing has changed but I thought that was separate from Chrysler LLC/Fiat.

bjstare
10-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Did you have your CLS550 with small kids? If so, any feedback on that (RE: carseats, etc)? I'm thinking about selling my ISF since I never drive it, but if I have something a little more conducive to the whole family it would get a lot more use.

90_Shelby
10-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Increase your budget slightly and buy this. It will crush every car mentioned in this thread.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/grande-prairie/very-minty-2009-cts-v-sedan-556-hp-trades-considered/1382368976?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

rage2
10-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Did you have your CLS550 with small kids? If so, any feedback on that (RE: carseats, etc)? I'm thinking about selling my ISF since I never drive it, but if I have something a little more conducive to the whole family it would get a lot more use.
Sure did. Drove newborn home in that car. Any car seat fits back there, it’s got ridiculous rear seating room. The trunk is big enough where I used it as a change table with tons of room, and enough gear in there for a 1 week road trip for a family of 4 without needing to put anything in the passenger compartment. One time I went to pick up a TV, forgot a kids bike in the trunk. Didn’t matter. All fit.

Was our preferred vehicle when it was just a family of 4. It’s like business class back there. The 4 seat layout is just so snug and tons of lateral space.

Everyone in the family misses that car. Just drove so well with air suspension. By far our favorite road trip car, the E wagon comes close but just not enough power. The CLS550 didn’t really excel in any one area, it just did everything well.

bjstare
10-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Interesting. That's good to know. It's a car that otherwise would not have been on my radar.

Lex350
10-12-2018, 10:11 AM
+1 for ISF, I’ve been searching for one for a while.

That's the car i'm going to get once I move full time to the Carolinas.

94boosted
10-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Increase your budget slightly and buy this. It will crush every car mentioned in this thread.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/grande-prairie/very-minty-2009-cts-v-sedan-556-hp-trades-considered/1382368976?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$37K for a 10 year old CTS-V doesn't seem like a good deal at all considering you can get a 4 year newer car with less mileage for basically the same price.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/cadillac/cts-v/winnipeg/manitoba/5_40630529_ct2005128104359706/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=1&pc=T2V%202J2&sprx=-1

How do the LSA's hold up anyways, are they reliable?