PDA

View Full Version : Do you get the flu shot? 2018 edition

Pages : [1] 2 3

ExtraSlow
10-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Flu shots are again available across Alberta for free starting today.

Do you get one?

D'z Nutz
10-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Yeah they set up a clinic at work, so there really isn't an excuse not to get one for me. Scheduled for the 29th.

lasimmon
10-15-2018, 08:53 AM
I said no because I don't actively get one. If its convenient I will get one though, like if work has a clinic or something.

I don't really see it as effective for me as the last 2 times I got it I still got the flu. I know, dumb anecdotal experience but that's my justification.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Will be getting one like normal.

Mitsu3000gt
10-15-2018, 08:58 AM
It is honestly unbelievable to me the amount of people I know who think the flu shot gave them the flu, or say something like "well I didn't get it last year and I didn't get sock" and then when presented with scientific/medical evidence they don't change their habits. These same people also don't understand it's not necessarily for their protection but for people with weak immune systems (elderly, children, sick people, etc.) Very selfish.

Also, I think a lot of people think they have the flu when really they have a cold, so they may think they either got sick from the flu shot (literally impossible) or they got a cold around the same time (it takes a while for the fly shot to become active) and think it's the flu from the flu shot. Further, there are different strains of the flu (the shot is a guess every year of which strains will be most prevalent) - so you still can get it, it's just far less likely and you didn't get it from the shot.

Get your flu shots people! Your anecdotal evidence about that one time you didn't get sick when you didn't get the shot is not medical science.

max_boost
10-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Flu shots ftw

I have gotten it every year since 10/2012. I got the flu first time 12/2011, and not knowing at the time, I actually thought I was gonna die. So I swear by it.

Last time I got the cold was 08/2017 so I’m due for something deathly. Can’t wait. Sickness always provides life perspective lol

Tik-Tok
10-15-2018, 09:23 AM
I have ever since we had a kid. Never needed it before that because my day to day life didn't expose me to very many people/places. After having one... fuck yes. She drags enough colds and shit from dayhome, I don't need a flu on top of it.

ExtraSlow
10-15-2018, 09:51 AM
I get it more for the other people in my life than for myself. I have lots of senior citizens in my family, and a few babies in the extended family, and for those groups, the flu can literally kill.

tonytiger55
10-15-2018, 09:57 AM
In 2006 I activily paid $20 at a medical clinic in central London to get the flu shot.
Here in Calgary its fooking free for everyone!! It blows my mind some people don't get it.

I have a pharmacist friend that is giving shots.. I might go to her clinic and insist she injects me in the buttocks.

Doozer
10-15-2018, 09:59 AM
I have ever since we had a kid. Never needed it before that because my day to day life didn't expose me to very many people/places.

This. Didn't really pay attention or care enough when I was younger. Since I've had kids I've been pretty good about it.

dirtsniffer
10-15-2018, 10:06 AM
this will be my fourth year in a row. got the flu one time and it sucked, have gotten the shot since.

88CRX
10-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Been out with the flu for the past week.... full on adult flu is the fucking worst. 6 days later finally getting some energy back and no more body aches.

The Cosworth
10-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Got mine this morning. I was usually 50/50 if I got it each year. Normally I get the shot, then catch a cold the same week and feel bad for like a week. If I don't get the shot I usually can fight the cold better. However last year at a conference in Jasper I got the flu for the first time in years. Do not want to live that again. I'll deal with an extra bad cold for a few days to avoid that again.

JustinL
10-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Yeah it usually only takes one blast of the full on influenza to convince people to get their shot. The real McCoy flu is the worst! I got it a few years ago and during the haze of pain that had settled in over me for a week, I vowed to get that shot every damn year.

HiTempguy1
10-15-2018, 11:54 AM
I don't get them, but I also hate everybody so that's a thing. :guns:

But in all seriousness, I'm never around kids or elderly, I have a large office space with little contact with anyone else, and currently live on my own.

If I had kids, I'd definitely get one.

XylathaneGTR
10-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Getting it later this month at work as per usual.

jdmXSI
10-15-2018, 12:26 PM
I honestly don't remember the last time I got the flu shot. My wife last year was sick while pregnant and had to go to the hospital because of early labor contractions, even the Doctor said the strains in the flu shot for the past 3 years were not the ones being detected and it wouldn't have done anything anyways. I am debating it this year with a little one around however undecided.

The Cosworth
10-15-2018, 12:41 PM
I honestly don't remember the last time I got the flu shot. My wife last year was sick while pregnant and had to go to the hospital because of early labor contractions, even the Doctor said the strains in the flu shot for the past 3 years were not the ones being detected and it wouldn't have done anything anyways. I am debating it this year with a little one around however undecided.

It's true you can't ignore good hygiene because you get the shot. I asked my doctor last year how many times a day he washes his hands and how many gloves he goes through. He said about a box of 100 in a few days and washes his hands 20-50 times a day. I was like.... crap my 3-4 times a day is nothing I guess. So I've been a lot more diligent.

The one thing I see, it may not help you THIS year either but it is adding that anti-body to the repository of your immune system. So I figure if they screw it up in say 3-4 years, but this years flu shot is the flu that goes around, I should be better covered than someone who skips it.

schurchill39
10-15-2018, 01:04 PM
Undecided for the wife, myself and the little dude. Typically we don't get them but with the little guy around we are rethinking it. Our GP is very "what ever" about it when we consulted him because of how often he's seen them miss the mark on the strains. The kid is up to date on all of his immunizations so the current discussion with our medical providers is the flu shot... I'm thinking we probably won't but I'll hold my vote back until we decide.

mr2mike
10-15-2018, 01:18 PM
http://www.who.int/influenza/surveillance_monitoring/updates/2018_10_01_surveillance_update_325.pdf?ua=1

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/conditions/how-vaccines-became-big-business/article572731/

Low chance of getting flu. But go believe the propaganda.

Tik-Tok
10-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Yeah, but I've got autism now, so I don't know any better.

HiTempguy1
10-15-2018, 03:37 PM
The one thing I see, it may not help you THIS year either but it is adding that anti-body to the repository of your immune system. So I figure if they screw it up in say 3-4 years, but this years flu shot is the flu that goes around, I should be better covered than someone who skips it.

Well, my understanding is that isn't really how it works though. The flu evolves. So the flu you get a shot for, they have a specific genetic code for it. And in 3-4 years, it will have evolved, so your immunity will be useless for the new bug.

I think flu-shots are much more important in places where sanitation is lacking or among large groups of vulnerable people (hospitals, kids, elderly). Even since growing up as a kid, the cleanliness of EVERYTHING in society has skyrocketed.

When was the last time someone DIED of the flu that wasn't an idiot who didn't go see the doctor when they realized they were more than just feeling "under the weather"?

D'z Nutz
10-15-2018, 03:56 PM
Also to add to hitemp's explanation, each flu shot is also a best guess effort as to what the major strains are based on trends and probability for that year. It's absolutely quite possible that we get hit with some weird strain that nobody anticipated and therefore vaccinated for.

tonytiger55
10-15-2018, 03:59 PM
I just got my shot and I was not injected in the ass.

Interesting stats. So far 21 yes and 18 no. I did not think the no would be so high.

vengie
10-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Flu shot is only ~30% effective on average.

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2018, 04:11 PM
I don't believe in the flu shot at all, they're just throwing shit at a dartboard from what it seems. However, my child is vaccinated otherwise. I had a rager flu last year, bar none the most aggressive illness I've ever experienced. Buddy on my hockey team is a Dr. here and he said it killed a couple people my age BUT the shot would have been useless for it anyway so......

max_boost
10-15-2018, 04:11 PM

I know 60% of the time it works every time.

J-hop
10-15-2018, 05:20 PM
I don't believe in the flu shot at all, they're just throwing shit at a dartboard from what it seems. However, my child is vaccinated otherwise. I had a rager flu last year, bar none the most aggressive illness I've ever experienced. Buddy on my hockey team is a Dr. here and he said it killed a couple people my age BUT the shot would have been useless for it anyway so......

Now take this with a grain of salt as it’s just what I’ve heard from someone in healthcare but in general East Asian countries get hit first and the flu migrates later to North America so at least for North Americans it’s not exactly blindly throwing darts at a dart board. They monitor flu strains in these East Asian countries and try to immunize based on that. Not a perfect science for sure but better than nothing IMO

Tik-Tok
10-15-2018, 06:27 PM

Better odds than most things in life.

The Cosworth
10-15-2018, 06:41 PM
http://www.who.int/influenza/surveillance_monitoring/updates/2018_10_01_surveillance_update_325.pdf?ua=1

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/conditions/how-vaccines-became-big-business/article572731/

What are you trying to show with that WHO link. Not following it. Interesting data though.

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Now take this with a grain of salt as it’s just what I’ve heard from someone in healthcare but in general East Asian countries get hit first and the flu migrates later to North America so at least for North Americans it’s not exactly blindly throwing darts at a dart board. They monitor flu strains in these East Asian countries and try to immunize based on that. Not a perfect science for sure but better than nothing IMO

Oh I know there's research to an educated guess behind it but still, they're just playing odds - I don't see the value.

thinmyster
10-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Never gotten one. Probably had the flu twice in the last 10 year.

speedog
10-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Never gotten one. Probably had the flu twice in the last 10 year.

Same here, have maybe had the flu once in the past 20 years. Just lucky, who knows? And all after putting our kids through K-12 and them and the wife not getting the flu shots either.

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Last year I learned that if you think you had the flu, you probably haven't. After I had it I fucking knew it and I immediately realized how it kills old people and people who are already unwell as nothing has ever laid me out that badly.

All of that aside, I just don't understand the value in injecting yourself with something that might protect you from something if they happened to pick the right strains.

J-hop
10-15-2018, 08:16 PM
Last year I learned that if you think you had the flu, you probably haven't. After I had it I fucking knew it and I immediately realized how it kills old people and people who are already unwell as nothing has ever laid me out that badly.

All of that aside, I just don't understand the value in injecting yourself with something that might protect you from something if they happened to pick the right strains.

As they say it’s not for you it’s for the weak you mention. According to the CDC it is working to reduce deaths and according to them on the years they successfully predict the strain the risk of flu in the US population decreases between 40 and 60%. Worth taking that gamble IMO

Hard to find data that suggests a vaccine program doesn’t help.

Some people say things like “the vaccine doesn’t mean you won’t carry it it just means you won’t get sick” while true, who is more likely to spread the flu? The asymptomatic person or the person sneezing everywhere......

ExtraSlow
10-15-2018, 08:36 PM
The life you save is probably not your own. Healthy adults rarely die from it any more, but complications from flu kill seniors all the time. And of course people with weaker immune or respiratory systems.

adam c
10-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Wife works in health care so it's mandatory for her, normally just tag a long cause why not

I had the flu when I as younger, I think around 6, I missed almost a month of school. For those saying they're better after a week or so, that's not the flu

The Cosworth
10-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Wife works in health care so it's mandatory for her, normally just tag a long cause why not

I had the flu when I as younger, I think around 6, I missed almost a month of school. For those saying they're better after a week or so, that's not the flu

I'll agree it is not a 1 day thing, but you are substantively better after a week. At least I was. I was probably 'under the weather' for going on 6-8 weeks but no way could I be calling in sick that long. So The 4-5 days or whatever I had to die at home (or last year in a hotel) then dealt with it. Probably killed my kidneys with all the dayquil / nyquil I was taking to survive.

baygirl
10-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Everyone in my household will be getting the shot, mainly to protect my mother. She was hospitalized last year with Influenza B and holy shit did it hit her hard and sudden. Sunday she was fine with just a little cough, Monday spikerS finds her in bed unable to stand.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 09:40 AM
The life you save is probably not your own. Healthy adults rarely die from it any more, but complications from flu kill seniors all the time. And of course people with weaker immune or respiratory systems.

This is one of the key points I was trying to make earlier.

Most people who don't get the flu shot know very little about it, haven't bothered to read any of the medical science surrounding it, and don't even consider that they can be fine but pass it along to someone who isn't fine. I got mine yesterday and it literally took 3 minutes out of my day with no appointment.

My coworkers who don't get it are all older people who "heard from a friend" that it can give you autism, or similar stories like that. They cling onto those things instead of what doctors tell them and here we are haha. Then that same doctor would tell them they need major surgery and they suddenly believe them again - go figure.

max_boost
10-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Ppl don’t believe in Medicare until they need access to it lol

Gimme every damn shot that’s available out there. And parents, let your kids play in the dirt.

HiTempguy1
10-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Most people who don't get the flu shot know very little about it

You know what they should do instead? Instead of plastering every f*&king adspace they can with weed info and warnings/information, maybe have a simple, concise location (be it pamphlet, website, whatever) that isn't bogged down in doctor speak that someone can point to with info about the flu shot, INCLUDING WHY ITS IMPORTANT even if the stats typically would make you think its useless (which they currently do).

Fact is, getting injected with something that only hits the mark 30% of the time and from most people's anecdotal evidence has never helped them is not something I am super keen on.

I'm the BIGGEST proponent of modern science and medicine. I don't give a shit about "essential oils", vitamins, and all that other quackery, but proper science sign me up. The flu shot has its place. If anything, I'd argue that what the flu shot should be focused on is the BAD flues, not just the "most likely".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-does-the-flu-actually-kill-people/

This seems like a great article, however this is literally the end of the article:

The most effective way to prevent the flu and its many potentially lethal complications is to get vaccinated.

Well thanks a lot, that's helpful, even though it sure seems like this isn't the case. It also doesn't seem to be given as much care and attention as you'd think it should be, considering in the US the CDC doesn't even force proper data gathering:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

So where does this leave us? Well by the stats that are available, dying by Flu is something you shouldn't be worried about if under the age of 65.

https://i.imgur.com/zNfhrQl.png

Only 3,550 people died directly because of the Flu in 2013. But 53k died of pneumonia total, and as you can see, 90% of those people are over the age of 65. As a person under the age of 65, you are much more likely to die in a car accident than by the Flu.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Ppl don’t believe in Medicare until they need access to it lol

Gimme every damn shot that’s available out there. And parents, let your kids play in the dirt.

Didn't Australia just ban any non-vaccinated kids from going to school? And I think Singapore does something similar, I have read you can't even enter the country without certain vaccinations. This doesn't apply to the flu shot but hopefully we're headed that way.

Disoblige
10-16-2018, 11:18 AM
If you're generally healthy but chubby, getting the flu isn't so bad either. Some people lose up to 10 lb after a flu from lack of appetite.

tirebob
10-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Didn't Australia just ban any non-vaccinated kids from going to school? And I think Singapore does something similar, I have read you can't even enter the country without certain vaccinations. This doesn't apply to the flu shot but hopefully we're headed that way.

I think we should ban people with compromised immune systems from being in public...

Disoblige
10-16-2018, 12:35 PM
I think we should ban people with compromised immune systems from being in public...
Or at least wear a mask. I wish it is more common here in North America for people to do that. Instead, we just cough and sneeze into our hands like idiots.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Or at least wear a mask. I wish it is more common here in North America for people to do that. Instead, we just cough and sneeze into our hands like idiots.

In Japan people wear masks when they are sick to help prevent others from getting sick - what a concept. Here, people just open mouth sneeze on crowded trains, never wash their hands, etc. There is a lot more we could be doing for sure, shot or not.

BavarianBeast
10-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Your not too bright if you can't take the 2 minutes to get a flu shot.

Tik-Tok
10-16-2018, 04:28 PM

So, newborns under 2 months aren't allowed out?

ExtraSlow
10-16-2018, 05:27 PM

Senior citizens too. Sorry speeddoggg sir.

adam c
10-16-2018, 06:17 PM

I fail to see an issue

bourge73
10-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Done. No brainer, so easy at Places like Rexall. Made an appointment ( pre filled in the paper work when the appointment was made ) in and out in 5 mins. Seriously to reduce the chance of getting the fakn Flu I would pay hundreds, the fact that it is free ? there really is no excuse not to. No your not too busy or important, sorry but no.

thinmyster
10-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Never gotten one. Probably had the flu twice in the last 10 years.

Both times I had the flu it was only a 24 hour thing. Is this not the flu? I guess I've never had it then.

sl888
10-17-2018, 04:35 AM
I absolutely f*cking hate needles but I will be getting the shot this year. I got the flu last year and it was the worst thing ever. I was in bed for over 3 weeks in December. The only time I got outta bed was to piss, shit or the occasional shower. I had to go to the hospital TWICE! I had vertigo afterwards from just laying in bed for those weeks. December 2017 sucked!!!

J-hop
10-17-2018, 06:10 AM
Both times I had the flu it was only a 24 hour thing. Is this not the flu? I guess I've never had it then.

Common cold and the flu aren’t the same thing

ExtraSlow
10-17-2018, 06:46 AM
No, that's not the flu.

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Common cold and the flu aren’t the same thing

I think one problem is that A LOT of people think they have the Flu when they have a cold or stomach bug, as symptoms can be identical. My doctor told me the only difference is usually a fever, which most people don't test for before self-diagnosing (or they use their hand LOL). Also what often happens is people who got the flu shot get a cold, and then think they got the flu from the shot :facepalm: Or they were sick before they got the flu shot, and didn't know it.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Also there is NO SUCH THING AS A "STOMACH FLU"!!!!!!

Brent.ff
10-17-2018, 09:46 AM
just got mine! work makes it easy as they do a clinic here

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2018, 09:48 AM
just got mine! work makes it easy as they do a clinic here

We used to have that about 12 years ago - they would just set up in a board room and cycle employees through. I wish we still did that - maybe more people would get it if companies combined education with easy access.

Brent.ff
10-17-2018, 09:49 AM
We used to have that about 12 years ago - they would just set up in a board room and cycle employees through. I wish we still did that - maybe more people would get it if companies combined education with easy access.

exactly what our office did, 30 seconds in and out. Probably 50 people getting their shot today

max_boost
10-17-2018, 10:34 AM
The flu can kill you. That's how you know if you've had the flu before lol

Common cold makes you hate life but the flu will have you praying to god lol

msommers
10-17-2018, 11:52 AM
My coworkers who don't get it are all older people who "heard from a friend" that it can give you autism, or similar stories like that. They cling onto those things instead of what doctors tell them and here we are haha. Then that same doctor would tell them they need major surgery and they suddenly believe them again - go figure.

People believe what they find reasonable or sensible to their own intuitive, this is unfortunately basic psychology in our day. Celebrities have become authority figures, intertwined within many aspects of our lives -- vaccines but being a simple example of this.

Congratulations to that person who has been doing something forever in the same way and changed their ways based off of new facts arising. Seems simple when you read it, but look to generations previous and their ingrained habits to realize they're incredibly difficult to change. An off topic example is how our grandparents view credit cards. Both mine and my partner's get absolutely distraught when we bring up the notion of putting $1 on a credit card.

thinmyster
10-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Puking out of both ends for >12 hours = common cold??

ExtraSlow
10-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Puking out of both ends for >12 hours = common cold??

Gastroenteritis. Nothing to do with the flu.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2018, 03:16 PM
Handy Chart so you can figure out if you have the flu, or something else.
http://immunizealberta.ca/sites/default/files/downloads/flu-comparison-sheet.pdf

Took my kids to get their shots today. Zero line at the Westgate / Marlbrough clinic this morning.

My kids make everything so dramatic. One fought me and the nurses pretty well, and the other nearly fainted. That got the nurses attention! Oh well, we got to spend our 15 minute recovery time laying around on mats a the back of the room instead of sitting on the folding chairs. Good times. Still a lot less hassle than the flu though.

rx7boi
10-26-2018, 04:02 PM
An RN comes to our work place every year to give out flu shots.

No reason not to get one. She's hot and we get a candy bar afterwards.

Holla.

adam c
10-26-2018, 04:59 PM
http://immunizealberta.ca/sites/default/files/downloads/flu-comparison-sheet.pdf

Took my kids to get their shots today. Zero line at the Westgate / Marlbrough clinic this morning.

My kids make everything so dramatic. One fought me and the nurses pretty well, and the other nearly fainted. That got the nurses attention! Oh well, we got to spend our 15 minute recovery time laying around on mats a the back of the room instead of sitting on the folding chairs. Good times. Still a lot less hassle than the flu though.

My 9yo was in tears almost having a panic attack, it was beyond ridiculous, as soon as it was done, she said, 'that's it?'
kids ffs

ExtraSlow
10-26-2018, 05:18 PM
kids ffs
Preach!

Mitsu3000gt
10-29-2018, 09:21 AM

The easiest way to tell if it's (likely) the flu is if you also have a fever (you'll see that on your chart as well) - that is what doctors have always told me anyway. And no you can't tell you have a fever with your hand lol (so many people do this).

Very often when people think they have the flu, it's just a cold. This is also why people think the flu shot doesn't work, because they get a cold sometime after they get the shot, and self-diagnose it as the flu. :facepalm:

ExtraSlow
10-29-2018, 10:09 AM
The easiest way to tell if it's (likely) the flu is if you also have a fever (you'll see that on your chart as well) - that is what doctors have always told me anyway. And no you can't tell you have a fever with your hand lol (so many people do this).

Very often when people think they have the flu, it's just a cold. This is also why people think the flu shot doesn't work, because they get a cold sometime after they get the shot, and self-diagnose it as the flu. :facepalm:

Maybe clearer to say "a fever lasting several days". Kids somewhat often get fevers with a simple cold, or at least mine do. And I myself have had a short-term fever with a cold. I suppose if the fever is just for half a day or something maybe. That charts say a sudden-onset fever lasting 3-4 days is common with the flu.

Swank
10-29-2018, 10:48 AM
I had a pretty big fever with a cold once too a couple of years ago, fortunately the fever didn't last more than a day but it was a really rough cold so my body cranked the heat. I've had the flu once that I can remember and it knocked me down hard for a couple of weeks. I was so damn hungry but at the same time eating was almost impossible, I even threw up water at one point, couldn't even keep that down.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2018, 11:00 AM
I had a pretty big fever with a cold once too a couple of years ago, fortunately the fever didn't last more than a day but it was a really rough cold so my body cranked the heat. I've had the flu once that I can remember and it knocked me down hard for a couple of weeks. I was so damn hungry but at the same time eating was almost impossible, I even threw up water at one point, couldn't even keep that down.

Yep, that there clearly describes the difference.

Mitsu3000gt
10-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Maybe clearer to say "a fever lasting several days". Kids somewhat often get fevers with a simple cold, or at least mine do. And I myself have had a short-term fever with a cold. I suppose if the fever is just for half a day or something maybe. That charts say a sudden-onset fever lasting 3-4 days is common with the flu.

Yeah it's not an exact science, there are always exceptions, I think it's just more generally speaking. I'm sure it effects everyone differently to some degree.

The other differentiation is usually a Flu just takes most people right out - with most colds you can drug up and still get on with your day. For this reason I am not sure I have ever had the Flu in my entire life. Just personally speaking, I find most people default to saying they have the Flu any time they have a cold or flu-like symptom whatsoever when really they A) have no idea because they haven't seen a doctor and B) probably have a cold.

max_boost
10-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Then you probably have never had the flu because when you get it, you will know lol no meds will help you get through your day. You will feel like death.

Anyway, so I got my shot yesterday and my left shoulder has been sore for the last 36 hours. What the hell.

Sugarphreak
10-30-2018, 11:01 PM

ExtraSlow
10-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Anyway, so I got my shot yesterday and my left shoulder has been sore for the last 36 hours. What the hell.some years my shoulder is really sore too. Not sure what causes it. this year was no issue.

Mitsu3000gt
10-31-2018, 09:56 AM
Anyway, so I got my shot yesterday and my left shoulder has been sore for the last 36 hours. What the hell.

That's the autism setting in.

max_boost
10-31-2018, 10:23 AM
some years my shoulder is really sore too. Not sure what causes it. this year was no issue.

Only mentioning it cuz this year it's extra and the extra is making me work extra slow as it hurts :(

BavarianBeast
10-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Haha, you guys haven't tried IMS have you?

Anytime a needle penetrates through your muscle tissue like that, it will be pretty damn soar for a few days. Probably just tougher back when you didn't notice it as much haha.

ExtraSlow
10-31-2018, 11:07 AM
Haha, you guys haven't tried IMS have you? Have had this dozens of times. Usually Flu shot soreness is much less. But you expect the IMP to cause soreness.

Mitsu3000gt
10-31-2018, 11:09 AM
Haha, you guys haven't tried IMS have you?

Anytime a needle penetrates through your muscle tissue like that, it will be pretty damn soar for a few days. Probably just tougher back when you didn't notice it as much haha.

I had that on my calves, back, and hamstrings, and it's honestly one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. It was so bad I stopped doing it - just not worth it. Most of the pain was during though - afterwards it wasn't too bad.

Misterman
11-02-2018, 11:17 AM
It is honestly unbelievable to me the amount of people I know who think the flu shot gave them the flu, or say something like "well I didn't get it last year and I didn't get sock" and then when presented with scientific/medical evidence they don't change their habits. These same people also don't understand it's not necessarily for their protection but for people with weak immune systems (elderly, children, sick people, etc.) Very selfish.

Also, I think a lot of people think they have the flu when really they have a cold, so they may think they either got sick from the flu shot (literally impossible) or they got a cold around the same time (it takes a while for the fly shot to become active) and think it's the flu from the flu shot. Further, there are different strains of the flu (the shot is a guess every year of which strains will be most prevalent) - so you still can get it, it's just far less likely and you didn't get it from the shot.

Get your flu shots people! Your anecdotal evidence about that one time you didn't get sick when you didn't get the shot is not medical science.

Why would I want to guarantee myself getting flu "symptoms" by getting the shot, when I can just wash my hands regularly and maybe get the flu once every 15 years anyway? There's no positive consequence to getting the flu shot, but there is guaranteed negative consequences. It's not hard to see why people don't get it. Especially when the shot is nothing more than a guess on what the prevalent strains will be, leaving you with a false sense of security that can lead to less diligent hygiene routines that increase your chance of passing the flu on to others anyway.

sabad66
11-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Why would I want to guarantee myself getting flu "symptoms" by getting the shot, when I can just wash my hands regularly and maybe get the flu once every 15 years anyway? There's no positive consequence to getting the flu shot, but there is guaranteed negative consequences. It's not hard to see why people don't get it. Especially when the shot is nothing more than a guess on what the prevalent strains will be, leaving you with a false sense of security that can lead to less diligent hygiene routines that increase your chance of passing the flu on to others anyway.

1. you don't get guaranteed "symptoms" by getting the shot
2. umm, the positive consequence of a flu shot is that you are immune to the flu strains that were in the shot. yes it's a best guess on what strains will be rampant that year, but certainly your statement of "no positive consequences" for the flu shot is bullshit.

Mitsu3000gt
11-02-2018, 11:39 AM

Your first sentence is already completely false - do yourself and those around you a favor and educate yourself on the topic from proper sources.

Most importantly, you are not just protecting yourself.

I've never had flu symptoms in my life from the flu shot, so there goes that argument. It's not even common, much less "guaranteed" that an individual will experience mild flu-like symptoms for a short period of time. The only common side effect is minor soreness for 1-2 days where you got the shot in the muscle. If you refuse to educate yourself on the topic with objective sources, then that is your prerogative.

If you honestly believe there is "no positive consequence", you are ignoring overwhelming medical science and if that is the type of person you are, nothing anyone can say is going to change your mind and that is sad. Maybe you should write a peer reviewed article letting the medical community know they are wasting their time developing flu shots - they must not know that there is literally no positive consequence. Pass it around to all the immuno-compromised children, pregnant women, and elderly folks too for a read, they have also also likely been misinformed by their doctors.

From the CDC:

Why do some people not feel well after getting the seasonal flu vaccine?
Some people report having mild reactions to flu vaccination. The most common side effects from flu shots are soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where the shot was given. Low-grade fever, headache and muscle aches also may occur. If these reactions occur, they usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days. In randomized, blinded studies, where some people get inactivated flu shots and others get salt-water shots, the only differences in symptoms was increased soreness in the arm and redness at the injection site among people who got the flu shot. There were no differences in terms of body aches, fever, cough, runny nose or sore throat.

HealthLink:

Myth: The influenza vaccines cause severe reactions or side effects.

Fact: The influenza vaccines are safe. Most people who get the flu shot only have redness, soreness or swelling where the vaccine was given.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Who should get the flu vaccine?
The CDC recommends annual influenza vaccinations for everyone age 6 months or older. Vaccination is especially important for people at high risk of influenza complications, including:

Pregnant women
Older adults
Young children
Children between 6 months and 8 years may need two doses of the flu vaccine, given at least four weeks apart, to be fully protected. A 2017 study showed that the vaccine significantly reduces a child's risk of dying from the flu. Check with your child's health care provider.

Chronic medical conditions also can increase your risk of influenza complications. Examples include:

Asthma
Cancer or cancer treatment
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Cystic fibrosis
Diabetes
HIV/AIDS
Kidney or liver disease
Obesity
Who shouldn't get a flu shot?
Check with your doctor before receiving a flu vaccine if:

You're allergic to eggs. Most types of flu vaccines contain a small amount of egg protein. If you have a mild egg allergy — you only get hives from eating eggs, for example — you can receive the flu shot without any additional precautions. If you have a severe egg allergy, you should be vaccinated in a medical setting and be supervised by a doctor who is able to recognize and manage severe allergic conditions.

There are also flu vaccines that don't contain egg proteins, and are Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for use in people age 18 and older. Consult your doctor about your options.

You had a severe reaction to a previous flu vaccine. The flu vaccine isn't recommended for anyone who had a severe reaction to a previous flu vaccine. Check with your doctor first, though. Some reactions might not be related to the vaccine.

Misterman
11-02-2018, 02:13 PM
1. you don't get guaranteed "symptoms" by getting the shot
2. umm, the positive consequence of a flu shot is that you are immune to the flu strains that were in the shot. yes it's a best guess on what strains will be rampant that year, but certainly your statement of "no positive consequences" for the flu shot is bullshit.

Yes I do. But feel free to be angry by pretending I said it about everyone else.

So the positive consequence of the flu shot can be no different than not getting the flu shot. Doesn't exactly equate to solid logic for getting the flu shot.

Your first sentence is already completely false - do yourself and those around you a favor and educate yourself on the topic from proper sources.

Most importantly, you are not just protecting yourself.

I've never had flu symptoms in my life from the flu shot, so there goes that argument. It's not even common, much less "guaranteed" that an individual will experience mild flu-like symptoms for a short period of time. The only common side effect is minor soreness for 1-2 days where you got the shot in the muscle. If you refuse to educate yourself on the topic with objective sources, then that is your prerogative.

If you honestly believe there is "no positive consequence", you are ignoring overwhelming medical science and if that is the type of person you are, nothing anyone can say is going to change your mind and that is sad. Maybe you should write a peer reviewed article letting the medical community know they are wasting their time developing flu shots - they must not know that there is literally no positive consequence. Pass it around to all the immuno-compromised children, pregnant women, and elderly folks too for a read, they have also also likely been misinformed by their doctors.

From the CDC:

Why do some people not feel well after getting the seasonal flu vaccine?
Some people report having mild reactions to flu vaccination. The most common side effects from flu shots are soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where the shot was given. Low-grade fever, headache and muscle aches also may occur. If these reactions occur, they usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days. In randomized, blinded studies, where some people get inactivated flu shots and others get salt-water shots, the only differences in symptoms was increased soreness in the arm and redness at the injection site among people who got the flu shot. There were no differences in terms of body aches, fever, cough, runny nose or sore throat.

HealthLink:

Myth: The influenza vaccines cause severe reactions or side effects.

Fact: The influenza vaccines are safe. Most people who get the flu shot only have redness, soreness or swelling where the vaccine was given.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Who should get the flu vaccine?
The CDC recommends annual influenza vaccinations for everyone age 6 months or older. Vaccination is especially important for people at high risk of influenza complications, including:

Pregnant women
Older adults
Young children
Children between 6 months and 8 years may need two doses of the flu vaccine, given at least four weeks apart, to be fully protected. A 2017 study showed that the vaccine significantly reduces a child's risk of dying from the flu. Check with your child's health care provider.

Chronic medical conditions also can increase your risk of influenza complications. Examples include:

Asthma
Cancer or cancer treatment
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Cystic fibrosis
Diabetes
HIV/AIDS
Kidney or liver disease
Obesity
Who shouldn't get a flu shot?
Check with your doctor before receiving a flu vaccine if:

You're allergic to eggs. Most types of flu vaccines contain a small amount of egg protein. If you have a mild egg allergy — you only get hives from eating eggs, for example — you can receive the flu shot without any additional precautions. If you have a severe egg allergy, you should be vaccinated in a medical setting and be supervised by a doctor who is able to recognize and manage severe allergic conditions.

There are also flu vaccines that don't contain egg proteins, and are Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for use in people age 18 and older. Consult your doctor about your options.

You had a severe reaction to a previous flu vaccine. The flu vaccine isn't recommended for anyone who had a severe reaction to a previous flu vaccine. Check with your doctor first, though. Some reactions might not be related to the vaccine.

I didn't say you get the flu from getting the flu shot. Maybe YOU don't experience any negative side effects from it, but quite a few other people do. Which is exactly in line with how vaccines work if you want to start talking about getting educated. You're initiating an immune system response to the flu, it is perfectly normal to experience mild flu like symptoms.

Maybe once I have someone with compromised or weak immune system that I interact with regularly, like a new baby or elderly family, then I will go back to getting the flu shot. Ironically one of the 2 times in my life that I've had the flu, was when I got the flu shot.

Feel free to do whatever you please with your own body, I don't judge anyone for getting something completely unnecessary. I choose not to, it's a flu shot discussion so I was discussing. No need to argue with nonsense as if I just said the earth was flat. If you're so passionate about flu prevention you should become more of a proponent of hand sanitizer than the flu shot, it has a just as good or better of a track record.

Mitsu3000gt
11-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Yes I do. But feel free to be angry by pretending I said it about everyone else.

So the positive consequence of the flu shot can be no different than not getting the flu shot. Doesn't exactly equate to solid logic for getting the flu shot.

You said they were "guaranteed". Mild symptoms that dissipate in a day or two is not the same as contracting the flu.

I didn't say you get the flu from getting the flu shot.

Nobody did, so why are you bringing it up? Flu like symptoms and the flu are not the same thing.

Maybe YOU don't experience any negative side effects from it, but quite a few other people do. Which is exactly in line with how vaccines work if you want to start talking about getting educated. You're initiating an immune system response to the flu, it is perfectly normal to experience mild flu like symptoms.

You were the one who said they were "guaranteed" and now you're trying to move the goal posts to sound less crazy. The people who may experience mild symptoms for a short period of time are not a majority.

Maybe once I have someone with compromised or weak immune system that I interact with regularly, like a new baby or elderly family, then I will go back to getting the flu shot. Ironically one of the 2 times in my life that I've had the flu, was when I got the flu shot.

You don't need to interact with someone to pass along the flu, nor can you possibly know the medical history of everyone around you. The fact that you keep regurgitating myths and haven't a clue how the flu can be transmitted is not helping your case.

So you are changing your story now and saying that it does something - which is it? "No positive consequence" which is verbatim what you stated previously, or something you would get if you started to interact with a new baby or elderly family member? Not endangering a high risk group sounds like a positive thing to me.

Feel free to do whatever you please with your own body, I don't judge anyone for getting something completely unnecessary. I choose not to, it's a flu shot discussion so I was discussing. No need to argue with nonsense as if I just said the earth was flat. If you're so passionate about flu prevention you should become more of a proponent of hand sanitizer than the flu shot, it has a just as good or better of a track record.

Again, it's not just for you. You have acknowledged this yourself above.

Can you please link us to these articles detailing how the flu shot is "completely unnecessary" or "nonsense"? Surely you have seen such information before forming the opinions you have. A lot of what you're saying goes directly against medical science, so I think it's reasonable to ask you to provide your sources that agree there are "no positive consequences" to the "completely unnecessary" flu shot.

A790
11-02-2018, 04:10 PM

lol you know that feeling you get when someone says something so undeniably stupid that you just want to engage them to see if they'll continue their stupidity?

For me, that's who you are today.

Welcome to beyond <3

Misterman
11-02-2018, 04:52 PM
You said they were "guaranteed". Mild symptoms that dissipate in a day or two is not the same as contracting the flu.

Nobody did, so why are you bringing it up? Flu like symptoms and the flu are not the same thing.

You were the one who said they were "guaranteed" and now you're trying to move the goal posts to sound less crazy. The people who may experience mild symptoms for a short period of time are not a majority.

You don't need to interact with someone to pass along the flu, nor can you possibly know the medical history of everyone around you. The fact that you keep regurgitating myths and haven't a clue how the flu can be transmitted is not helping your case.

So you are changing your story now and saying that it does something - which is it? "No positive consequence" which is verbatim what you stated previously, or something you would get if you started to interact with a new baby or elderly family member? Not endangering a high risk group sounds like a positive thing to me.

Again, it's not just for you. You have acknowledged this yourself above.

Can you please link us to these articles detailing how the flu shot is "completely unnecessary" or "nonsense"? Surely you have seen such information before forming the opinions you have. A lot of what you're saying goes directly against medical science, so I think it's reasonable to ask you to provide your sources that agree there are "no positive consequences" to the "completely unnecessary" flu shot.

I see you enjoy arguing for sake of arguing. I do not. So we can ignore your semantics arguing above due to confusion about what I said.

About the flu vaccine. Can you provide any links or evidence that the flu shot is necessary? Of course you cannot, because it isn't. No links required for this. Have you ever not received the shot, and then NOT contracted the flu? Of course, we all have, probably multiple different years or none of us would've survived our childhood. I realize you might be of the opinion that it is a good idea based on whatever logic you use to form your opinions. You're entitled to that. My opinion is different, to which I even described my logic showing it is sound. Nobody said you had to agree, and I never said you shouldn't get the shot. You're the only one here telling others what to do. All I was doing was showing there is more to it than your Helen Lovejoy attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

lol you know that feeling you get when someone says something so undeniably stupid that you just want to engage them to see if they'll continue their stupidity?

For me, that's who you are today.

Welcome to beyond <3

Oh good. A forum full of trolls. Should be great times. :burnout:

ExtraSlow
11-02-2018, 04:56 PM
There's no chance you are new here. What was your old user name?

J-hop
11-02-2018, 05:32 PM
I see you enjoy arguing for sake of arguing. I do not. So we can ignore your semantics arguing above due to confusion about what I said.

About the flu vaccine. Can you provide any links or evidence that the flu shot is necessary? Of course you cannot, because it isn't. No links required for this. Have you ever not received the shot, and then NOT contracted the flu? Of course, we all have, probably multiple different years or none of us would've survived our childhood. I realize you might be of the opinion that it is a good idea based on whatever logic you use to form your opinions. You're entitled to that. My opinion is different, to which I even described my logic showing it is sound. Nobody said you had to agree, and I never said you shouldn't get the shot. You're the only one here telling others what to do. All I was doing was showing there is more to it than your Helen Lovejoy attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh good. A forum full of trolls. Should be great times. :burnout:

CDC actually has all the stats you’re asking for.

On an individual level I get what you’re saying, some will never get the flu, some will never need a shot, so it could appear unnecessary to some. But the evidence is essentially irrefutable that a positive prediction of the strain results in a drastically lower prevalence in immunized populations. I think people are reacting the way they are as your logic doesn’t appear to have a strong leg to stand on and all statistics and scientific evidence refute your opinion.

It’s fine to have the opinion you have. But that doesn’t mean your opinion should be immune to legitimate criticism

Misterman
11-05-2018, 08:06 AM
There's no chance you are new here. What was your old user name?

?? Never been here before.

Misterman
11-05-2018, 08:16 AM
CDC actually has all the stats you’re asking for.

On an individual level I get what you’re saying, some will never get the flu, some will never need a shot, so it could appear unnecessary to some. But the evidence is essentially irrefutable that a positive prediction of the strain results in a drastically lower prevalence in immunized populations. I think people are reacting the way they are as your logic doesn’t appear to have a strong leg to stand on and all statistics and scientific evidence refute your opinion.

It’s fine to have the opinion you have. But that doesn’t mean your opinion should be immune to legitimate criticism

That's interesting, I actually wasn't able to find any statistics that would confirm or deny the requirement for a flu shot. Lots of stats about how many people get the flu, how many people die from the flu, but nothing indicating likelihood of contracting the flu with vs without flu shot. And even if there was access to that sort of statistic, there would still be no statistic about whether proper hygiene was followed by people who did contract the flu. I'm not refuting the fact that the flu shot most likely decreases instances of flu, there just isn't any evidence supporting that it is any more effective than vigorous hygiene.

I'm very open to criticism, but when people use opinion based statistics to form their opinions, they will be subject to criticism as well. And hey, if someone wants to get a flu shot because feelings that's all fine and dandy. But don't act like anyone who doesn't get the shot themselves is an evil genocidal maniac. Some people get on this ignorant judgmental high horse and try to lump anyone who doesn't get a flu shot in with Jenny Mccarthy.

nzwasp
11-05-2018, 10:56 AM
I wish they had offered the flu shot earlier in October, my whole family has the flu at the moment, I seem to be patient zero and im in recovery, my wife and youngest got it next and now my oldest kid has it. The symptoms are pretty manageable except for my youngest daughter who cant have any medication other than advil/tylenol because shes too young.

J-hop
11-05-2018, 03:01 PM
That's interesting, I actually wasn't able to find any statistics that would confirm or deny the requirement for a flu shot. Lots of stats about how many people get the flu, how many people die from the flu, but nothing indicating likelihood of contracting the flu with vs without flu shot. And even if there was access to that sort of statistic, there would still be no statistic about whether proper hygiene was followed by people who did contract the flu. I'm not refuting the fact that the flu shot most likely decreases instances of flu, there just isn't any evidence supporting that it is any more effective than vigorous hygiene.

I'm very open to criticism, but when people use opinion based statistics to form their opinions, they will be subject to criticism as well. And hey, if someone wants to get a flu shot because feelings that's all fine and dandy. But don't act like anyone who doesn't get the shot themselves is an evil genocidal maniac. Some people get on this ignorant judgmental high horse and try to lump anyone who doesn't get a flu shot in with Jenny Mccarthy.

This exactly answers your question I believe: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

I can google more stats if you’d like but googling similar topics to the title of that cdc link will net you a plethora of results.

I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu, at least in recent memory (20 years) but I’ve definitely been sick. My parents always enforced rigorous hygiene but I’ve still been unable to completely avoid getting colds so there is no intelligent reason to suggest that at least my level of hygiene could prevent me contracting the flu. I’d imagine you are in the exact same situation. Unless you’ve never got a cold, in which case I think you should apply to be part of a university study as your immune system is super human!

Hygiene will of course increase your chances of staying healthy, but flu shots will too, it’s not one or the other obviously.

Misterman
11-05-2018, 04:56 PM
This exactly answers your question I believe: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

I can google more stats if you’d like but googling similar topics to the title of that cdc link will net you a plethora of results.

I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu, at least in recent memory (20 years) but I’ve definitely been sick. My parents always enforced rigorous hygiene but I’ve still been unable to completely avoid getting colds so there is no intelligent reason to suggest that at least my level of hygiene could prevent me contracting the flu. I’d imagine you are in the exact same situation. Unless you’ve never got a cold, in which case I think you should apply to be part of a university study as your immune system is super human!

Hygiene will of course increase your chances of staying healthy, but flu shots will too, it’s not one or the other obviously.

I've actually read that link. Same as what I mentioned above, obviously instances of flu decrease when the vaccine is given, but there is just no way to measure whether hygiene can be as effective. Personally I have had the flu twice in 36 years. Colds I used to get, but found out it had nothing to do with immune system and everything to do with our pathetic humidity up here in the dry cold winter. Got a humidifier and never had a problem since.

With flu shots it makes me feel like a bag of crap, so I choose to forego them. Like I said, if I'm going to feel like I got a mild flu anyway, I might as well just risk the unlikely event of getting the actual flu. Once I have a newborn around I'll just deal with the side effects. To each their own.

Mitsu3000gt
11-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Same as what I mentioned above, obviously instances of flu decrease when the vaccine is given, but there is just no way to measure whether hygiene can be as effective.

There's no positive consequence to getting the flu shot, but there is guaranteed negative consequences.

And the goal posts keep moving...

tirebob
11-09-2018, 10:04 AM
I do actually agree with Misterman that proper hygiene is probably just as effective, if not more effective, than simply getting a shot that is hit and miss. I work directly with the public with the flu season being the time I am busiest with an absolutely massive amount of person to person contact, shaking hands etc with people all the time so I wash my hands probably a dozen times a day as well as sneezing into my arm rather than my hand etc. I have not had the flu in over 20 years. That is no scientific study by any means, but it works.

Does a flu shot decrease an individuals odds of catching the flu? Sure I can agree with that, but I totally feel it is unnecessary for most people and the severity and effect of the flu on society as a whole is incredibly overblown. Why is that? I am to cynical of the powers that be to have a rational discussion on the matter I think but until some super virus is running around wiping out a third of the population I will stick to my hygiene routine that works well for me.

A790
11-09-2018, 11:11 AM
I do actually agree with Misterman that proper hygiene is probably just as effective, if not more effective, than simply getting a shot that is hit and miss. I work directly with the public with the flu season being the time I am busiest with an absolutely massive amount of person to person contact, shaking hands etc with people all the time so I wash my hands probably a dozen times a day as well as sneezing into my arm rather than my hand etc. I have not had the flu in over 20 years. That is no scientific study by any means, but it works.

Does a flu shot decrease an individuals odds of catching the flu? Sure I can agree with that, but I totally feel it is unnecessary for most people and the severity and effect of the flu on society as a whole is incredibly overblown. Why is that? I am to cynical of the powers that be to have a rational discussion on the matter I think but until some super virus is running around wiping out a third of the population I will stick to my hygiene routine that works well for me.

Or you could do both? lol

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Or you could do both? lol

Exactly. Also the flu can be transmitted dozens of different ways - washing your hands and sneezing politely is only one part of it. Most importantly it is to help protect immunocompromised people such as children, the elderly, and people with illnesses. You do not even need to be in direct contact with these people to transmit. A good hygiene regime might be enough to help protect a healthy adult in some instances, but it is far from ideal.