PDA

View Full Version : Another what to buy vehicle, please help!

jaylo
11-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Hello all,

I recently accepted a new line of work where it requires me to travel to field construction sites. Not necessarily driving around gravel 100% but it is nice when you have the ability to. I am looking into a vehicle, preferably AWD and a budget of $5,000. If it's a really nice deal I can move up to the $9,000 range.

I am in the recession money-saving period so I'd rather not spend too much in the meantime until the economy is back on track, but I do need a reliable commuter to get me in and around.

My typical daily work is driving 25km to Chestermere, then construction sites around Olds, Alberta (~100km). I bill $48 cents per kilometre, a great mpg will offset that quite a bit. Thanks

Criteria
$5K, max $9K
Good mpg (Looked at FX35 and they are quite a gas hog)
Non-boring (like WRX handling ability)
AWD (electronic, locking diff is a plus)
4-passenger (hatchback is a plus)
Reliable
~200,000 km if it keeps the cost down

So far I looked at CRV, RDX, WRX non-STI, Tacoma TRD, FJ, and FX35's.

THX!

jwslam
11-01-2018, 11:52 AM
I own a 1st gen RDX
-Probably out of your budget if you want something not beat up
-Gas hog & premium (I avg 12L/100k)
-Not too boring but significant turbo lag
-Very reliable though

tonytiger55
11-01-2018, 12:20 PM
My vote is for the CRV. Second or third gen.
Good gas, reliabe for the price. If you can get it in a manual like mine, then it does sound exciting at times (they stopping making the manual after 2005). Decent set of winters and you will be fine.

But it is boring, you will start to question your sanity at times. But when its -25c and it starts first time or if your having to deal with other crazyness in your life..repairs is the least of worries then you can start to appreciate its reliability. My friends and family have changed vehicles. I still have the same vehicle.
I used to do about 77km a day highway. 580km on a tank during summer time and around 450km per tank during cold winters. The fuel efficiency is hard to beat for a SUV. Around 9L/100K.

At that age and price you have to factor in that some things will go wrong in any vehicle. I was in the same boat when immigrated here six years ago. So I went directly for engine reliability. Hence the CRV. I got it for $5500 and got a set of winters from TireBob. Its pretty much paid itself off in terms of reliability.
But depends on what you want.

If its car then look at the Toyota Matrix hatchback. You will save even more gas. If you worried about AWD and snow. You can offset this issue with a decent set of winters. The Pontiac Vibe is exactly the same car. But because of the badge you might be able to get it cheaper.

vengie
11-01-2018, 03:37 PM
The CRV is the answer you are looking for.

ExtraSlow
11-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Lifted crosstrek?

tonytiger55
11-01-2018, 04:45 PM
I forgot to add. Second gen CRV has a picnic table in the back.
No other vehicle has that feature. Think of the benifits..!

ShermanEF9
11-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Lifted crosstrek?

:rofl:

I forgot to add. Second gen CRV has a picnic table in the back.
No other vehicle has that feature. Think of the benifits..!

Gen 1s also have them! they are just super rare and usually missing because original owners like to keep them.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Lifted crosstrek?

Will it get 30mpg and have lots of passing power?

NissanFanBoy
11-01-2018, 07:03 PM
Juke, Rogue, EX35, how bout Muranos? :poosie::poosie: does it have to be an SUV? How about G35x or G37x?

jaylo
11-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Juke, Rogue, EX35, how bout Muranos? :poosie::poosie: does it have to be an SUV? How about G35x or G37x?

I like the AWD offerings of Nissan but have no experience on reliability with the VQ35 engines. I was looking for the first gen G35X and they seem to be fairly priced.

First Gen Muranos are actually decent as well if you get a higher trim.

- - - Updated - - -

The CRV is the answer you are looking for.

I used to have a Honda Element, same engine as the CR-V 160hp of greatness and it's extra slow and the most I got was 10L/100KM highway which was decent. I would assume the CR-V since it shares the platform will have the same handling characteristics.

G-ZUS
11-02-2018, 11:32 AM
Avoid those Nissans like the plague, garbage CVT transmissions

tonytiger55
11-02-2018, 11:34 AM

The Cosworth
11-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Yeah CRV for sure. 2nd would be Rav4.

Lifted crosstrek?

i heard they get 10 mpg

NissanFanBoy
11-02-2018, 04:36 PM
I like the AWD offerings of Nissan but have no experience on reliability with the VQ35 engines. I was looking for the first gen G35X and they seem to be fairly priced.

First Gen Muranos are actually decent as well if you get a higher trim.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to have a Honda Element, same engine as the CR-V 160hp of greatness and it's extra slow and the most I got was 10L/100KM highway which was decent. I would assume the CR-V since it shares the platform will have the same handling characteristics.

The VQ's are absolutely bulletproof (as well as everything else with them including the traditional 5/7 speed autos), tons on kijiji with 300,000km+, G-ZUS is correct, the CVTs are really the only problems with these Nissans I listed, so scratch Murano, Juke, and Rogue off your list.

That still leaves the EX35, G35X, G37X, FX35, plus you can look at Pathfinders or Xterras too, but those will consume more gas but be better suited for off-road and heavy snow use.

If you look at G35X's look for 2007 and 2008 as that is the newer body style which is miles ahead of the first gen (both interior and exterior), if you go 2009 you will also find the new 3.7 V6 in it along with the new 7 speed autos (which actually sip gas on the highway, I know from personal experience) ...as long as you're not having to driving in deep snow, I think it's your best bet if you're looking at something with a fun factor that STILL is reliable (the Subarus have major engine problems) ...every other vehicle listed in this thread is going to make you want to fall asleep at the wheel even though they're good on gas and are just as reliable like the CRV.

Edit...didn't see you had RDX on there, the first gen ones are actually pretty decent, styling is a little "chick car"-ish though, don't know much about reliability though

jaylo
11-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone, esp. NissanFanBoy.

I narrowed down my search for a 2008 G35X "S" model, looks like the Sport package adds 18" wheels, lower suspension, slightly bigger brake rotors, paddle shifters, and sport seats with thigh support.

Kijiji is all over the place and comparing it to VMR Canada prices, they are usually at least $2K over wholesale price.

My second is the FX35 though the mpg worries me but looks like reselling is easy because it's an SUV.

Xtrema
11-04-2018, 12:25 PM
My second is the FX35 though the mpg worries me but looks like reselling is easy because it's an SUV.

Off topic, didn't even know that Infiniti has discontinued FX35/QX70 line. Only SUVs left are FWD bias and truck based ones.

bjstare
11-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Thanks everyone, esp. NissanFanBoy.

I narrowed down my search for a 2008 G35X "S" model, looks like the Sport package adds 18" wheels, lower suspension, slightly bigger brake rotors, paddle shifters, and sport seats with thigh support.

Kijiji is all over the place and comparing it to VMR Canada prices, they are usually at least $2K over wholesale price.

This is a good choice.

Contrary to another post above, just FYI I had a buddy with one of these that got absolutely atrocious mileage. It was like 16l/100km mixed driving, not a heavy foot. I had an 07 G35S sedan (was an MT) that was considerably better on fuel, but still really bad. My ISF gets better mileage and the engine is 50% bigger, and I definitely have a heavier foot with this car.

NissanFanBoy
11-04-2018, 02:41 PM
This is a good choice.

Contrary to another post above, just FYI I had a buddy with one of these that got absolutely atrocious mileage. It was like 16l/100km mixed driving, not a heavy foot. I had an 07 G35S sedan (was an MT) that was considerably better on fuel, but still really bad. My ISF gets better mileage and the engine is 50% bigger, and I definitely have a heavier foot with this car.

Interesting...I daily drove a 2009 G37X sedan for a little over a year (had about 185,000km on it), I was around 11-12L/100km using Shell premium only, mix of Deerfoot and city driving. On the highway it was about 9 or so, can't remember...I guess the 7 speed auto really helped alot, I also drove like a granny in the city but on the Deerfoot I drove it pretty hard :) especially in the summer

OP is thinking about a 2008, so still a 3.5L mated to the 5 speed auto, could be a little worse on gas but he'll have a great time! The S package makes a big difference in looks too! I'd highly recommend looking for a set of used 19 inch rims from an S coupe, they fit and look great! The stock S sedan rims are ugly.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=19+inch+g37+rims+on+sedan&rlz=1CAHPZS_enCA821&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP1peszbveAhUUKH0KHWykB0YQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=794#imgrc=FlwjfAUTv1uOaM:

If they made them in AWD and manual I would definitely buy one again.

03ozwhip
11-04-2018, 04:31 PM
What about an IS250? Come in AWD, a little slow, but I'm sure you can help it handle with a bit of suspension work.

max_boost
11-04-2018, 05:26 PM
How bout Honda Accord?

ShermanEF9
11-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Interesting...I daily drove a 2009 G37X sedan for a little over a year (had about 185,000km on it), I was around 11-12L/100km using Shell premium only, mix of Deerfoot and city driving. On the highway it was about 9 or so, can't remember...I guess the 7 speed auto really helped alot, I also drove like a granny in the city but on the Deerfoot I drove it pretty hard :) especially in the summer

Thats atrocious, considering its not much better than my F150 that takes regular gas.

NissanFanBoy
11-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Thats atrocious, considering its not much better than my F150 that takes regular gas.

Hmmm a sports sedan or some boring ass truck? Tough choice eh...lol...I kid, nothing personal against truck owners, I just can't fathom why someone would drive a truck by choice.

ShermanEF9
11-04-2018, 07:40 PM
I actually quite enjoy driving my truck. its quiet, spacious, and for what it is, handles well. AWD/4WD launches are fun too, and people sometimes don't realize how quick a truck can be.

NissanFanBoy
11-04-2018, 07:44 PM
I actually quite enjoy driving my truck. its quiet, spacious, and for what it is, handles well. AWD/4WD launches are fun too, and people sometimes don't realize how quick a truck can be.

Haha no worries, I'm just joking....ya, but does it come in manual? :D

ShermanEF9
11-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Nah, its got the manual mode, which isnt terrible in the fords (not the same i know) but I have 2 other cars for that :P

jaylo
11-05-2018, 05:11 PM
How bout Honda Accord?

The only Accord I'd consider is the Crosstour which I believe is realtime AWD but it's out of my price range, unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Today, I started looking at Nissan X-Trail and Nissan XTerra's. The 2nd Gen are decently priced and it looks like BOF 4x4 powered by 4L V6 engine.

They do not seem to be a popular vehicle as I don't see them a lot on the road and not too many for sale.

BavarianBeast
11-05-2018, 05:25 PM
B5 S4 ftw

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/audi-s4-b5-very-clean-low-km/1391879664?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Reliability is fine if you leave it stock. Just slap some 2.0T coil packs in the bitch and she'll run to 300,000km

jaylo
11-05-2018, 06:13 PM
B5 S4 ftw

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/audi-s4-b5-very-clean-low-km/1391879664?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Reliability is fine if you leave it stock. Just slap some 2.0T coil packs in the bitch and she'll run to 300,000km

Looks like a ticking timebomb with the 2.7L bi-turbo setup. Plus, hard to find one that is not been modified.

ExtraSlow
11-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Get the boring small SUV, live an uncomplicated life when you need to visit field sites. Don't go crazy with some euro awd performance thing. Any of those old enough to be in your price range will be reliability nightmares.

max_boost
11-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Get the boring small SUV, live an uncomplicated life when you need to visit field sites. Don't go crazy with some euro awd performance thing. Any of those old enough to be in your price range will be reliability nightmares.

I also suggest a Honda Fit or Subaru Impreza

ExtraSlow
11-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Imprezza holds value too well. Get a boring family small SUV that some latte sipping housewife got bored of, those are a better value than any enthusiasts car.

Clearly the Honda fit is only for true enthusiasts.....

jaylo
11-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Imprezza holds value too well. Get a boring family small SUV that some latte sipping housewife got bored of, those are a better value than any enthusiasts car.

Clearly the Honda fit is only for true enthusiasts.....

I really do hate the Subaru Tax, people asking too much for them.

Honda Fit will be a good choice but I do have to haul my co-workers once in a while and the Fit may not fit all of them.

Misterman
11-06-2018, 03:21 PM
No way would I buy any Nissan. Horrible mileage, and not exactly known for reliability.

If it were me in the position, I'd be looking at Acura MDX/RDX. Just have a used Trans on standby ready to go in for the MDX. But if you're cool with doing your own work then Touareg all the way. Can be had for dirt cheap due to dealer maintenance costs.

If luxury isn't a big concern you could always look at older 4Runners.

- - - Updated - - -

B5 S4 ftw

I'm right on the fence about going to buy that car myself if I can get down to Calgary ever. A little worried about the overheating issue though. I'm sure it's easy enough to fix, I'd just be more concerned about how many times and how badly it's been overheated by the owner. Last thing I want to do is inherit a head gasket issue.

SkiBum5.0
11-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Suzuki SX4

max_boost
11-06-2018, 04:44 PM
What about Scion XB lunchbox looking vehicle? shakalaka might have one for sale soon lol

shakalaka
11-06-2018, 07:28 PM
What about Scion XB lunchbox looking vehicle? shakalaka might have one for sale soon lol

Lol I am listening. Although it would be over the price parameters mentioned here by a few K so won’t work. There is an older one Edmonton with relatively low mileage within that price range available tho if the op wants to look on Kijiji.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2018, 07:34 PM
lol i am listening. Although it would be over the price parameters mentioned here by a few k so won’t work. There is an older one edmonton with relatively low mileage within that price range available tho if the op wants to look on kijiji.
you shut your ears!!!!

bourge73
11-06-2018, 08:04 PM
How bout Honda Accord?

6-6 bro? Seems like one on here is coming available .....

ExtraSlow
11-06-2018, 08:28 PM
6-6 bro? Seems like one on here is coming available .....

Savage!

jaylo
11-06-2018, 08:29 PM
I stumbled upon a 2008-2009 Ford Ranger. Seems to be a reliable daily driver with 5MT but they're mostly 2WD.

Comparing to Tacoma's, they are priced better with lower kilometers.

I guess there is the Tacoma Tax as well.

bourge73
11-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Savage!

I stumbled upon a 2008-2009 Ford Ranger. Seems to be a reliable daily driver with 5MT but they're mostly 2WD.

Won’t haul your co-workers around in a Ranger though....Not ever
They would be able to however Fit in a ......

Misterman
11-07-2018, 09:51 AM

Again I don't know how important fuel mileage is? But Rangers are known to be pretty horrible in that department.

jaylo
11-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Again I don't know how important fuel mileage is? But Rangers are known to be pretty horrible in that department.

I looked at some Edmunds review and they reported good mpg in the 2WD version. I mean, with good winter tires, RWD should not be an issue.

never
11-07-2018, 01:04 PM
I looked at some Edmunds review and they reported good mpg in the 2WD version. I mean, with good winter tires, RWD should not be an issue.

But as mentioned, if you're writing off the Fit because you need to get people in there, a Ranger will fit even fewer people. The back is basically useless unless you really hate whoever you're sticking back there.

Misterman
11-07-2018, 01:49 PM

If it's a 4cyl it's probably no big deal. The 4.0l engines were the real fuel pigs.

ExtraSlow
11-07-2018, 02:23 PM
According to the first post, main criteria is taking 4 people to field construction sites in all weather conditions.

Dude, just get a boring SUV. That's best bang for your buck for your usage. Get AWD, not just 2wd with good tires. It'll only matter a few times, but it really matters those times.

jaylo
11-08-2018, 10:38 AM
According to the first post, main criteria is taking 4 people to field construction sites in all weather conditions.

Dude, just get a boring SUV. That's best bang for your buck for your usage. Get AWD, not just 2wd with good tires. It'll only matter a few times, but it really matters those times.

I definitely agree. We got clients all the way up to Big Lakes, Vermilion River so a plush comfy SUV/Pickup should definitely be a must.

I have not looked at Domestics and Korean as of yet, I don't have any experience with them with in regards of ownership.

ercchry
11-08-2018, 10:48 AM
This! https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/strathcona-county/1997-toyota-caldina-gt-t-aerial-awd-5spd-turbo/1393442028?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Awd, sporty, and roomy! Plus Toyota reliability

ShermanEF9
11-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Good lord thats not a very good looking car :P

ExtraSlow
11-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Here's a couple. There's also a million Ford escapes in your price range. It's a boring vehicle, but it's fine, and a better value used because it's so unpopular.

If it's me, I'd get this Ford flex. Gangsta style, and amazing highway ride.

Or if you want to look sportier, even through it isn't, and awd matrix?

ExtraSlow
11-08-2018, 12:08 PM
God now you have me looking. Jerk.
If you want to feel like you didn't get some soccer mom car, hers some awd wagons

- - - Updated - - -

Although uou should probably just buy a Ford escape.

NissanFanBoy
11-08-2018, 04:48 PM
An XC90 isn't a soccer mom car? Lol

ExtraSlow
11-08-2018, 06:51 PM
An XC90 isn't a soccer mom car? Lol

I meant the other two, but yeah.....

jaylo
11-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Found some options here

What about a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Sportback?

I think it has DCT transmission...

ShermanEF9
11-10-2018, 10:30 AM
I would take the bus before owning a Mitsubishi product.

ExtraSlow
11-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Did you make any decisions yet jaylo? I think if you want to minimize capital outlay and depreciation, you will be getting less awesome vehicle. All the best vehicles hold value well, so you'll blow the capital budget of you go that way. Weirdly, the market works well at correctly pricing vehicles.

ExtraSlow
11-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Have you considered something with abnormally high mileage? 300k highlander perhaps?

I actually think a highlander would be perfect for you. But the clean low mileage ones are above you budget.

Sugarphreak
11-10-2018, 11:30 AM

born2workoncars
11-10-2018, 11:34 AM
This! https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/strathcona-county/1997-toyota-caldina-gt-t-aerial-awd-5spd-turbo/1393442028?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Awd, sporty, and roomy! Plus Toyota reliability

lol, if maintenance is anything like a Celica all-trac turbo, it's not a great choice.

OP, why not a MKIV TDI? They're deadly reliable, straightforward maintenance and fun to drive.

jaylo
11-10-2018, 12:56 PM
I've never owned a VW TDI before. I'd consider them if they are AWD and pretty much reliable.

What's up with the Ford Escape ones? They are cheaply priced compared to RDX's but I am weary about the Ford brand.

ExtraSlow
11-10-2018, 01:02 PM
They are less fun to drive less refined, cheaper interior and have less power.

But a lot cheaper. And very common so if something does go wrong you are quite likely to find help online to fix it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-10-2018, 03:30 PM
I have a MK4 TDi and it’s incredibly boring to drive but it’s really really cheap and reliable (minus snapped captive nuts in the front subframe). It costs me 1/3 to 1/4 of my Vette in terms of cost per km to drive.

jaylo
11-10-2018, 06:27 PM
They are less fun to drive less refined, cheaper interior and have less power.

But a lot cheaper. And very common so if something does go wrong you are quite likely to find help online to fix it.

Yeah, I am okay with a boring mini SUV as long as it is cheap to maintain and AWD. A fully loaded Escape can be had for less than $9,000 with less than 200,000 kilometers.

bourge73
11-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I am okay with a boring mini SUV as long as it is cheap to maintain and AWD. A fully loaded Escape can be had for less than $9,000 with less than 200,000 kilometers.

There is a 05 CRV with 205k with new winter tires and it looks nice for $6800 on Kijiji just get it already