PDA

View Full Version : What to buy debate as well! Mid-30's to Mid 40's range

r3ccOs
11-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Talking to a friend, the more we look at vehicles we recognize there is great value for dollar coming from all markets but I think the debate of used vs New come into play and make it hard to decide on which path to go down.

First off, he's more in the market but totally knows the TCO operating costs between domestic (own'd jeeps), foreign (Hondas) and the Europeans (Volvo and Mercs)

but if you look at dollar for dollar, you can find some amazing deals on specifically "cars" as for some reason every soccer mom thinks SUV's are safer and more pratical.

At first, he was thinking hey... Stinger or G70, then wait, those Honda Accord turbo's quite nice and so is the new Maz 6 turbo.

but the long and short of it, he doesn't need any financing incentives, and some of the CPO's from Mercedes for instance, can get you into a 2-3 year old Merc E400 with under 60k/km for less than either of those, with almost the same amount of warranty coverage... with 4Matic and actual balls

thoughts?

thinmyster
11-02-2018, 02:03 PM
A-Class hatchback

spikerS
11-02-2018, 02:56 PM
For anyone looking at TCO, I always point them at Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 doors with the pentastar V-6. Reason being, the TCO drops a lot as the residual resale value on those things is absolutely insane. You can buy a decently loaded one for the $40k range, drive it for 5 years, put 120,000 kms on it, and still sell it privately (trade in is a whole other story) for $29-$32k. Not 100% sure, but I can't think of another vehicle that holds value like that.

npham
11-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Not 100% sure, but I can't think of another vehicle that holds value like that. Taco's and 4Runners hold their value pretty well. The next level down would be a Golf R. They still go for mid 30's for a 2-3 year old one.

ExtraSlow
11-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Half tons crew cab trucks hold value really well too as long as you don't waste money accessorizing them. A buddy of mine just sold his 2015 gmc 1500 slt for $39k this week.

Xtrema
11-02-2018, 05:13 PM
For anyone looking at TCO, I always point them at Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 doors with the pentastar V-6. Reason being, the TCO drops a lot as the residual resale value on those things is absolutely insane. You can buy a decently loaded one for the $40k range, drive it for 5 years, put 120,000 kms on it, and still sell it privately (trade in is a whole other story) for $29-$32k. Not 100% sure, but I can't think of another vehicle that holds value like that.

Wrangler and Tacos resale average held 82% after 4 years.

https://www.canadianblackbook.com/2017awardwinners.html

The Jeep Wrangler (Compact SUV) and the Toyota Tacoma (Small Pick-up) both held 82 per cent

No way to predict future Wranglers as they just went thru a quite extensive refresh.

dirtsniffer
11-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Comparing resale value to MSRP isnt accurate.

Toyota wins all the awards because they have an honest MSRP. When I was looking at Tacoma's, the most I could get off MSRP was about 5%, so a 45,000 would be sold for 41 or 42 grand.

Comparibly, I bought a Silverado for $43,000 that had an MSRP of 51,000. And I wouldn't even consider what I got to be a good deal. So after 3 years both trucks are worth about 33,000 according to Kijiji. And the resale people will be like the Tacoma only lost 20% of value over 3 years where the Silverado lost 35%. But in reality they are very close in actual depreciation

Sugarphreak
11-02-2018, 09:24 PM

HiTempguy1
11-03-2018, 08:04 AM
But in reality they are very close in actual depreciation

Not to mention Tacomas (and really, most 1/4 ton trucks except for the new Colorado and Ranger) being useless doing truck things.

bjstare
11-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Not to mention Tacomas (and really, most 1/4 ton trucks except for the new Colorado and Ranger) being useless doing truck things.

This isn't entirely true. They're useless at doing big truck things, but not useless full stop. My parents have a Taco in the states and they're really happy with it. Enough space for 4 people, good off road (this is a must since it's in HI), and they can fill the back with garbage, yard waste, sandy beach furniture, fishing gear - all things you don't want to put in a car/wagon/suv. Just big enough to tow their boat occasionally when it goes in/out of the water and it fits in the garage for the summer months. My dad has an F-350 here and really likes it, but it would be worse (or overkill) for almost everything the use their Taco for.

Back on topic, Lexus GX also retain their value incredibly well. Could buy one of almost any age and sell it a couple years later for nearly the same price.

C4S
11-03-2018, 09:18 AM
How about a Civic Type R ?

I think $42K+tax is quite a bargain, fully loaded already, don't need to spend another $15K on options like the Germans ...