PDA

View Full Version : After-hours doctors clinics - have you used these?

ExtraSlow
11-04-2018, 09:39 AM
After some discussion in two different threads about access to health care options in Alberta, I thought this discussion was timely.

Many general practitioners / family doctors in Alberta are part of a "Primary Care Network" AKA a PCN. These networks have a variety of resources, including often an after-hours clinic. The purpose of these clinics is to allow access during evenings and weekends to the services you would normally get from your family doctor. They aren't walk-in-clinics, and you do require an appointment, but appointments are usually available with a few hours of your phone call. It's a great service for families and people with chronic health conditions, and it takes people with less urgent concerns out of the emergency rooms.

I've included a poll to see how many people have heard of this service. My doctor has thiers is underutilized and not busy.

Discuss.

Also spikerS

Darell_n
11-04-2018, 09:52 AM

ExtraSlow
11-04-2018, 10:00 AM
I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I believe my clinic is open 4-11pm weekdays, and all day Saturday.

killramos
11-04-2018, 10:45 AM
The clinic I go to for my GP has a 24/7 on call line that one of the doctors in the clinic is alway charged with staffing. I don’t think the physical clinic is open outside these hours (ie nurses etc. ) but if you are having a serious issue they can usually make some calls and get you in somewhere on short notice. I have never used them personally but they have helped my wife out a few times.

Kindof like a healthlink on steroids where they have access to your medical file and notes etc.

rage2
11-04-2018, 11:40 AM
I’ve used it. Was prescribed some really strong NSAIDs for gout attacks. Turns out I’m allergic to NSAIDs. Advil would give me hives, this shit got me high as a motherfucker. After 2 hours of not wearing off, leveraged PCN on a weekend to make sure I’m ok, and prescribe me something else for my gout attack.

colsankey
11-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Wifes used a few times for evening and weekend issues where she didnt want to got to emergency for herself or the kids.

ExtraSlow
11-04-2018, 12:43 PM
I should say that my family has used these a bunch of times. My kids have had some health issues and we've used the full spectrum of options from Emerg, after-hours clinics and the regular family doctor.

Access to the after hours clinics was a key consideration when we recently changed family doctors.